Old August 31, 2003, 17:48   #31
jim panse
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 09:48
Local Date: November 2, 2010
You may use these mountain gfx I used for my WW1 scenario because I think htey look not too bad ......

Anyway, it´s up to you & good luck fpr your scen!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	terrain2.gif
Views:	103
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	52298  
Old September 1, 2003, 01:05   #32
Matthew22
Settler

Local Time: 07:48
Quote:
Originally posted by our_man
Looks excellent; my only suggestion is that you get different graphics for the iron/gold resources, as they clash with the rest of the mountains.
Thanks for the feedback , yeah i have been meaning to get rid of those along with a few other small graphical glitchs. And thanks to everybody who posted Mountain gfx

And yeah i was think ing of including the local population as a playable civ ,as either nuetral or helping the french.
Old September 1, 2003, 01:34   #33
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 01:48
Helping the French? I don't think so.

www.tecumseh.150m.com
Old September 1, 2003, 01:38   #34
Matthew22
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by techumseh
Helping the French? I don't think so.
As supprising as it sounds , Yes there were quite a few Vietnamese who aided the french during the battle of Dien Bien Phu , some beleived in the french strong enough to actually help defend it.
Old September 1, 2003, 02:08   #35
techumseh
Emperor

What are your sources?

www.tecumseh.150m.com
Old September 1, 2003, 02:58   #36
Matthew22
Settler

http://www.dienbienphu.org/english/

A specific example... "On the French side the 4306 replacements parachuted in between March 14 and May 6 did not make up for the losses suffered between those dates (1,500 killed and more than 4,000 wounded). Among the replacements were 709 non jump-qualified men who volunteered to fight in Dien Bien Phu after April 20, often jumping at night. Many were Vietnamese who volunteered to join their comrades in the besieged garrison."
Old September 1, 2003, 03:42   #37
techumseh
Emperor

That's a very nice site, I must say. And very pro-French, as well.

The fact that there were Vietnamese in the French service- "comrades" implies that these were Vietnamese who had already been recruited by the French- is no surprise. All imperial powers did this, and it is no indication of general popular support for the colonizing power. I also doubt that many these troops were recruited from the vicinity of Dien Bien Phu.

In the post-war period, all of the colonial powers were struggling to keep control of thier overseas possesions in the face of a huge upsurge of national liberation movements. The British lost India, the Dutch Indonesia, France Algeria and Indochina and the Americans the Philippines. Unless there is specific evidence of local pro-French sympathy, it might be safer to assume the opposite, or at best, neutrality.

BTW, your screen shots look great. How are you going to handle the artillery?

www.tecumseh.150m.com
Old September 1, 2003, 04:00   #38
Matthew22
Settler

Artillery is represented by units representing 'Ammo' , units similar to cruise missiles , ive seen this used quite a bit in other scenarios and ive liked it a lot .

Here are the units i have for them now( Im not that happy with them and im just using them as a stop-gap at the moment) if anybody has any others that they would like to contribute , please do.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ammo.gif
Views:	90
Size:	1.2 KB
ID:	52315  
Old September 1, 2003, 11:54   #39
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 08:48
IIRC, the AI will only use air-based missile units against sea-based targets. This might present a problem.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old September 1, 2003, 12:23   #40
N35t0r
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversDiplomacyScenario League / Civ2-CreationPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPSPB Team EspañolC4WDG Spamyard TeamBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 04:48
you can tag them as land units (the arty missiles) as long as they do not have to cross any ocean. They do use land missiles against land units.

Progressive Game ID #0023
Old September 1, 2003, 12:40   #41
jim panse
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

and they do travel by road if possible ......
Old September 1, 2003, 13:25   #42
N35t0r
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversDiplomacyScenario League / Civ2-CreationPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPSPB Team EspañolC4WDG Spamyard TeamBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 04:48
and what about making them domain 3? anybody tried these?

Progressive Game ID #0023
Old September 1, 2003, 17:06   #43
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by techumseh
That's a very nice site, I must say. And very pro-French, as well.

The fact that there were Vietnamese in the French service- "comrades" implies that these were Vietnamese who had already been recruited by the French- is no surprise. All imperial powers did this, and it is no indication of general popular support for the colonizing power. I also doubt that many these troops were recruited from the vicinity of Dien Bien Phu.

In the post-war period, all of the colonial powers were struggling to keep control of thier overseas possesions in the face of a huge upsurge of national liberation movements. The British lost India, the Dutch Indonesia, France Algeria and Indochina and the Americans the Philippines. Unless there is specific evidence of local pro-French sympathy, it might be safer to assume the opposite, or at best, neutrality.

BTW, your screen shots look great. How are you going to handle the artillery?

hi ,

yes , but there where plenty of vietnamese troops fighting alongside the French outside DBP as well , .....

btw , if you need French legion info or badges , just ask , some of the links in the sig ( below ) are related to French foreign legion site's , .....

have a nice day
Old September 1, 2003, 23:04   #44
techumseh
Emperor

Perhaps you could make the fixed positions of the French (those with a 0 movement) ships. It might attract some artillery fire.

www.tecumseh.150m.com
Old September 1, 2003, 23:29   #45
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 17:48
Mathew, are you including a possibility of US intervention? Historically, the US government came very close to granting French requests for air support, with the use of nuclear weapons even being seriously considered at one stages. AFAIK, the US force would of consisted of long range bombers flying from the Philipines as well as aircraft from carriers in the Gulf of Tonkin.

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew22
Among the replacements were 709 non jump-qualified men who volunteered to fight in Dien Bien Phu after April 20, often jumping at night
As an aside, the non-jump trained troops suffered almost exactly the same rate of jump casualties as the professional paratroops did!
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old September 2, 2003, 01:05   #46
Matthew22
Settler

Thanks guys those are some good points and il take them into consideration, Im not so sure of including the US as this is just a small map of the valley and so there is no real way to include the US. Yeah some French Foreign Legion stuff would be great as i havnt been able to find much so far.
Old September 2, 2003, 03:09   #47
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

The plan was for the US to carpet bomb the Viet Minh positions around Dien Bin Phiu. You could stick a 'US base' french city in a ocean surounded square in the corner of the map, and create B-29/B-36 bombers in it if the event is triggered.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
Old September 3, 2003, 01:49   #48
Matthew22
Settler

Although i like that idea i dont realy think it would work, as there isnt real any Ocean on this map , Shortly i will post a picture of it so you will understand what i mean. However i will try and include that in the Tech Tree.
Old September 3, 2003, 02:22   #49
Case
Emperor

Matthew, you're taking a much too literal reading of my sugestions - I meant that the 'ocean' terrain can be used to physically block the VM from attacking the US base, and not that your map needs to include 'real' oceans.
Old September 3, 2003, 02:46   #50
Matthew22
Settler

Ohh , now i understand , Yeah that could work , I will finish Placing the Viet Minh Cities and then If there is any Space left try your idea , thanks for the advice