Old August 25, 2003, 06:36   #1
poolking
Call to Power MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerCall to Power PBEM
Settler

Local Time: 07:48
Local Date: November 2, 2010
E-mail Notifications
Are e-mail notifications working?

I'm subscribed to a couple of forums and I'm not receiving any e-mails.
Old August 25, 2003, 07:14   #2
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 09:48
AFAIK you only get e-mails for new posts in subscribed threads. Fortunately you don't get an e-mail for every new post in a subscribed forum. AFAIK the only advantage of subscribing to a forum is that you can access it from Apolyton's main page, saving you one mouse click.
Old August 25, 2003, 08:01   #3
poolking
Settler

They've just started to work.
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish, and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and goodwill, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down on thee with great vengence and furious anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers, and you will know my name is The Lord when I lay my vengence upon thee.
Old August 25, 2003, 09:44   #4
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 02:48
Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
AFAIK the only advantage of subscribing to a forum is that you can access it from Apolyton's main page, saving you one mouse click.
Just save the forum as a bookmark and go right to it and eliminate having to load the main page.
Old August 25, 2003, 10:47   #5
poolking
Settler

Maniac, the point of subscriptions is that you don't have to go hunting for the new posts, I just click on the link and I'm straight into the thread I'm subscribed to, to the post that appears in the e-mail. So I don't have to go through the main page.

Saves a lot of time remembering what threads I have posted in.
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish, and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and goodwill, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down on thee with great vengence and furious anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers, and you will know my name is The Lord when I lay my vengence upon thee.
Old August 25, 2003, 11:03   #6
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 08:48
I experience intermittent cutouts with the email feature as well, as does Flameflash IIRC. It usually sorts itself out.
Old August 27, 2003, 09:50   #7
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 01:48
This time I didn't make this thread...

It seems to cut in and out, DrSpike is right. What is more interesting is that some forums you get better service from than others.

For instance: community forum sucks on e-mail notification generally, as does AC-DG and the one sub-forum I'm part of there.

CtP-Multiplayer is a very good one for keeping up-to-date for some reason. When I do have a problem, if that one and anything in the Mac section aren't being sent to me I know there's a real problem with the notification.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old August 27, 2003, 09:54   #8
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 08:48
Quote:
Originally posted by FlameFlash

It seems to cut in and out, DrSpike is right. What is more interesting is that some forums you get better service from than others.
I have to say I have never experienced this. Either it works (for all forums) or it doesn't.
Old August 27, 2003, 10:08   #9
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by poolking
Saves a lot of time remembering what threads I have posted in.
You do know that all threads you've posted in, has a hole in the middle of the letter icon to the left of the name? That works good enough for me.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old August 27, 2003, 10:51   #10
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Quote:
Originally posted by poolking
Maniac, the point of subscriptions is that you don't have to go hunting for the new posts, I just click on the link and I'm straight into the thread I'm subscribed to, to the post that appears in the e-mail. So I don't have to go through the main page.
Yeah I know that. You were talking about fora and not threads in your first post.
Old August 27, 2003, 12:51   #11
poolking
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikolai

You do know that all threads you've posted in, has a hole in the middle of the letter icon to the left of the name? That works good enough for me.
I am aware of that, I think its more efficient for me because I don't always have the time to trawl through loads of new posts, only things that really interest me.
Old August 27, 2003, 14:01   #12
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 02:48
I could make the case that anybody that comes here has time, or they wouldn't be here.
Old August 27, 2003, 14:28   #13
poolking
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
I could make the case that anybody that comes here has time, or they wouldn't be here.

Ok you got me there.