Old September 23, 2003, 16:02   #121
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 09:49
Local Date: November 2, 2010
there has been a new update at civ3.com...

nothign groundbreaking though
statusperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2003, 16:42   #122
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius
There isn't any swiss UU because there isn't a swiss civ The talk was about the dutch UU.

Btw, King Williams sounds nice. He'll fight against King McLaren, I suppose
hi ,

there shall be a swiss civ in some scen's and mods , they have yet to be made but most of the work is allready done , .....

have a nice day
Panag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2003, 03:58   #123
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

spiffor:
http://civfanatics.com/chat/chat92303edited.shtml
here there are a lot of definate informations. e.g. leaders, UUs, trait details, etc.
Old September 30, 2003, 12:22   #124
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 00:49
Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf

but still no sign of why foreign mercenaries are a UU. as shown it the text, these were used in france, vatican, spain and other places.
It was explained in the chat. During the time period that the Swiss Mercenaries were the elite fighters, the Dutch hired them more than any other country in Europe.
Willem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2003, 17:04   #125
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

It was explained in the chat. During the time period that the Swiss Mercenaries were the elite fighters, the Dutch hired them more than any other country in Europe.
hi ,

true , sometimes it was swiss against swiss , mercenaries where used a lot in those days , the french foreign legion was born , etc , .......

sometimes they where fighting against each other , ......

but be carefull , most of the times they had "swiss" only in name , maybe a couple swiss officers , but the rest would be a ragtag of people from a broad range of countries , ......

have a nice day
Panag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2003, 21:00   #126
Emperor Iaius I
Settler

Local Time: 23:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hmm. Has anyone uncovered any information about the "Imperialism" government? I'm really curious about that one.

Thanks.
Emperor Iaius I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2003, 21:15   #127
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Imperialism government: not a "government" form in C3C. Perhaps a style of play. The only new govs are Feudalism and Facism.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2003, 21:16   #128
Emperor Iaius I
Settler

Really? How disappointing... from the previews I've read, it seemed that Imperialism was an actual government type.

...I suppose I'll stick with good 'ol monarchy, then.

EDIT:

I just looked at the C3 site, and it definately lists "Imperialism" in the government types section and not as a game mode.
Old September 30, 2003, 21:34   #129
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 07:49
Actually, Imperialism and Oligarchy are, to the best of my knowledge, governments, but ones only one available in that Conquest scenario!!

Hope this helps !!!

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
The_Aussie_Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2003, 21:37   #130
Emperor Iaius I
Settler

So it's not standard, eh? Meh...

I assume that imperialism would be in the Napoléonic Europe scenario, then.

Hmm. Still, I wish that some info about it was released.
Old October 1, 2003, 15:16   #131
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 02:49
Hum, if the Napeleonic Europe scenerio starts as the French monarchy is being overthrown, perhaps France will begin the scenerio in anarchy! and perhaps impleralism will have a pop loss on cities when switching. (The "undesirables" being the former astrotcracy)
joncnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2003, 17:32   #132
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 08:49
Imperialism might be a Roman-scenario governement. The Rome in the days of the Roman emporers are often refered to as the Imperial Rome.
Old October 1, 2003, 20:52   #133
Emperor Iaius I
Settler

Yes, but the term imperialism is a more modernistic term. Rome was an empire, yes, but it wasn't precisely imperialistic: nearly all of its territories were already there when it turned into an empire, aside from Britain, Egypt, and a few minor acquisitions.

If it was a scenario only thing, I think it'd more fit Napoléonic Europe...

In any case, though, anything in a scenario can be put into the core game using the editor, right? I could make it default if I wanted, correct?
Old October 2, 2003, 07:56   #134
Stuie
King

Local Time: 03:49
Quote:
Originally posted by Emperor Iaius I
In any case, though, anything in a scenario can be put into the core game using the editor, right? I could make it default if I wanted, correct?
That is correct. We are getting the same editor they used to make the conquests; so if it's in a conquest, we can put it in the core game.
Stuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2003, 23:57   #135
Emperor Iaius I
Settler

Perfect. Then as long as it's someplace in the game, I'll be happy.

I still wish there was some info out about it, though.
Old October 3, 2003, 03:22   #136
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Actually, once you know the effects of Govs like Imperialism and Oligarchy within the Conquest Scenario-it should be a doddle to edit the main game to include the Govs there too ! THat's certainly what I'll be doing !!!

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
The_Aussie_Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2003, 08:03   #137
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Aussie_Lurker
Actually, once you know the effects of Govs like Imperialism and Oligarchy within the Conquest Scenario-it should be a doddle to edit the main game to include the Govs there too ! THat's certainly what I'll be doing !!!
Me too. I'm looking forward to pulling some of the governments, resources, buildings, maybe even units out of the conquests and adding them into the main game. Modding is half the fun for me!
Old October 6, 2003, 19:12   #138
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

nice new avatar statusperfect... great movie..

Spiffor can you update the first post? Im too lazy to read the entire thread.
Old October 10, 2003, 05:27   #139
Illyrien
Settler

Local Time: 08:49
wow, this expansion looks great!
Old October 12, 2003, 00:33   #140
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

At ign.com's Civilization III: Conquests Designer Diary #4, screenshots, Charles the Bald's empire shows:
Paris with a sword emblem (as with a harbor) -- we get barracks indicators!!!

(I HOPE I'm correct)
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2003, 09:08   #141
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

spiffor

you may want to update your first post with some info from here:
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=99018

except if merepatra can give us some inside knowledge and deny these stats
Old October 16, 2003, 10:27   #142
Lord God Jinnai
King

Local Time: 01:49
Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie

Me too. I'm looking forward to pulling some of the governments, resources, buildings, maybe even units out of the conquests and adding them into the main game. Modding is half the fun for me!
Me too, though i will also be adding my own for some lesser used ones, like rule by Merchants/Businnesses)
Oh dear! Are you even sure you answered the questions correctly?) Underneath your confused exterior, you hold fast to your certainties and seek to find the truth about the things you don't know. While you may not be brimming with confidence and energy, you are content with who you are and accepting of both your faults and the faults of others. But while those around you love you deep down, they may find your nonchalance somewhat infuriating. Try to put a bit more thought into what you are doing, and be more aware of your surroundings.
Lord God Jinnai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2003, 20:24   #143
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Spiffor, you may want to look at my post in the Gamespot thread, it has the information from Gamespot's latest review for Inca and Hittites.

Style: Dark Blue

Hittite and Inca civs have been added to the Gamespot preview

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy..._6076654-4.html

and

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy..._6076654-5.html

I also plan on taking some of the stuff (buildings, etc) from the Conquests and modding it into the main game.

Last edited by kring; October 17, 2003 at 20:33.
kring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2003, 13:30   #144
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Cool, thanks for the info everyone.
Now that I came back, I begun to update the first post (not finished yet). Don't hesitate to continue giving me info
Spiffor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2003, 14:35   #145
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Developer Diary 5 at PC.IGN
http://pc.ign.com/articles/455/455450p1.html?fromint=1

Sid Meier's Civilization III: Conquests, Firaxis's second expansion pack for the mega-hit Civilization III, features nine professionally created scenarios that introduce concepts never before seen in any Civilization title. The fifth designer diary in this series provides a glimpse at the design process and decisions made during the development of the Age of Discovery conquest. This conquest was designed by Ed Beach, a producer at Breakaway Games.

Age of Discovery
Two of our previous designer diaries described the Middle Ages and Mesoamerica Conquests. Both of those scenarios conclude late in the 15th Century, setting the stage in both Europe and the Americas for the Conquest that follows...the Age of Discovery.

The late 15th and 16th Centuries were a dynamic time in the western world, when Europe awoke from its medieval slumber into the glory of the Renaissance. It was also during this time that European explorers emerged on the world stage and opened up new lands to European dominance and colonization. Our scenario opens in 1490, just prior to Columbus' discovery of the New World. This Age of Discovery conquest recognizes numerous key events of this period, including:

Year Key Event Age of Discovery Conquest Effect
1415 Prince Henry of Portugal founds a school of navigation in Sagres, Portugal. The Navigation School is a small wonder that boosts ship movement by 2 and creates an Explorer every 10 turns.
1488 Bartolomeu Dias sails to the Cape of Good Hope in southern Africa, opening the Indian Ocean and completing the first great voyage. Dias' Voyage (great wonder) gives the Portuguese a Golden Age to start the scenario, boosts ship movement by 1, and produces a Colonist every 8 turns.
1492 Columbus discovers the New World in his first voyage to the Caribbean. Spanish Conquistador & Caravels start ready to sail west to the New World.
1517 Martin Luther nails his 95 Theses to the door of the Castle Church in Wittenberg, starting the Reformation. Luthers' Theses is a great wonder that provides two happy faces across a continent.
1519 Ferdinand Magellan starts his voyage to circumnavigate the globe. Magellan's Voyage is a great wonder that boosts shield production in the city and creates a Frigate every 5 turns.
1521 Hernándo Cortés finishes the conquest of the Aztecs in Mexico. Aztec, Inca, Maya and Iroquois nations are ready to battle European aggression.
1540 Ignatius Loyola founds the Jesuit order to strength the Catholic response to the Reformation. Jesuit Colleges are a city improvement that increase scientific output and create a Missionary every 5 turns.
1577 Sir Francis Drake, one of Elizabeth's "Sea Dogs", leaves on his voyage of piracy and circumnavigation. The English unique unit is the Elizabethan Sea Dog, a speedy naval unit with enslavement capability.
1588 The Spanish Armada sets sail to attempt to conquer England. Frigates and Man-O-War are available in the latter portions of the tech tree.

Not Entirely Smooth Sailing
Although there was a wealth of historical material to draw on, this Conquest proved to be the trickiest to tune properly. It was the first Conquest started, and the last finished, with development progressing on and off for a full eight months. The earliest version of this scenario used a huge world map and included the exploration of eastern Africa and the east Indies (with appearances by the Mughal, Safavid, and Ming civilizations). Performance issues and an AI tendency to colonize Siberia and Africa in place of the New World sunk this version.

The next version trimmed Asia and Oceania off the edge of the earth, positioning the Ottoman Empire to the east as a grave threat to European nations such as Austria and the Papacy. Although we had some playtests where Suleiman's Ottoman army made some truly Magnificent marches across Europe, we were concerned that this version was overemphasizing land wars in Europe (at the expense of the colonization and exploitation of the New World).

It was then that we had a major design breakthrough: if we could use city improvements that required New World resources to periodically create flag (princess) units, these new "treasure" units could do a great job representing the flow of wealth from the New World back to Europe. We already had wonders creating units on a periodic basis; we just needed to move that code so it applied to all possible improvements and wonders. Over a few builds, we developed the following set of treasure-producing buildings that have to be constructed in a city that contains the specified resource within its city radius.

Resource Icon Treasure-Producing Building Required Tech Turns to Produce
Fur Trapper Camp Have at start 12
Tobacco Tobacco Plantation Colonization 8
Sugar Sugar Plantation Colonization 10
Spice Spice Factory Colonization 10
Gold Gold Mine Mining 3
Silver Silver Mine Mining 5
Gems Gem Mine Mining 5

We then trimmed the map further to tighten the emphasis on New World colonization and added additional elements of Piracy and Naval Combat to the tech tree. Most of the elements of the current Conquest were in place; it was time to hand it over to our dedicated beta test team for balancing and further fine tuning.

Difficult Choices

The revamped Age of Discovery tech tree provides three highly desirable paths right from the outset of the scenario. European powers can either research Gunpowder and Metallurgy (to improve their combat abilities and ability to defend in Europe), Printing Press, Banking, and Colonization (to produce colonists and increase their options for treasure-producing buildings) or Magnetism and Naval Ordnance (to boost the transport capability, speed, and firepower of their ships). The tech tree also offers the chance to switch to a Protestant government to improve worker efficiency and reduce corruption (or on the contrary, to remain Catholic so the Counter Reformation can avail you to Jesuit Colleges and Missionaries later in the game).

These choices divide the game into four main phases. Initially, the player needs to head west and explore territory, uncovering the resources of the New World

The second phase is the founding of cities to exploit these resources; the colonist unit (a cheap settler requiring only 1 population to build) is a key element in this part of the game. Next the player should escort treasures home, gaining victory points and gold from each unit returned. All of this oceanic activity does set the stage for the final phase; one of intense naval combat and piracy, especially in multiplayer games. Privateers and English Sea Dogs can use enslavement attacks to capture enemy cargo ships intact, handing the treasure over to the victorious pirates.

The Finishing Touch
The plans for the scenario always called for the presence of Iroquois, Aztec, Maya, and Inca civilizations, but they were not to be playable civilizations. How could they possibly hope to compete with the European powers? In another flash of inspiration, we realized there was a way...

By merging elements of the Mesoamerica scenario tech tree into the game, and by boosting the cultural value of Mesoamerican cultural buildings in relation to European ones, we were able to set it up so that a well played Mesoamerica civilization can outpace a European civilization in single-city cultural value. By setting a low enough single-city cultural victory limit, a path to victory as a Mesoamerican civilization was created. But beware, playing as a Native American civilization is not for the faint of heart. When those first European ships appear to the east, you know your eventual demise is at hand. Can you hold them off long enough to preserve your cultural heritage and still claim victory? It is possible and just one of the many challenges awaiting Civilization players who enter the Age of Discovery. -- Ed Beach
kring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2003, 08:48   #146
Stuie
King

Hey Spiffor -
Would it be possible to add the Civ's starting techs to your "New Civilizations" table? Just a thought.....

So far:

Incas - Pottery, Masonry
Hittites - Pottery, Alphabet
Dutch - Pottery, Alphabet
Byzantines - Bronze Working, Alphabet
Old October 22, 2003, 09:33   #147
Spiffor

Good idea Stuie. I'll be working on it

(and I still have to update it with the info on the Age of Discovery scenario )
Old October 22, 2003, 12:17   #148
Spiffor

First post edited. Did I forget anything ?
Old October 22, 2003, 18:16   #149
Merepatra
BreakAway Games

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
First post edited. Did I forget anything ?
Great job The only thing I noticed was that the details you have for the new Wonders, requirements, costs, culture etc, were for these in the Mesopotamia Conquest. They are different in the main game.
Merepatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2003, 18:57   #150
Louis XXIV
C4WDG Stratega
Prince

Is this true for Statue of Zeus as well?

The others were obviously screenshots from the Mesopotamian Scenario, but this one appears to be the main game.

EDIT: I believe Knights Templar builds a Crusader (5.3.1) every so often.