Old August 26, 2003, 01:39   #31
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 02:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Re: What should legislators do to stop another "GW Bush" from ever happening again
Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
In short, this is a situation that threatens the future of democracy and one that must be firmly addressed.
Considering the fact that you are talking about rigging the outcome of elections, just get rid of the annoying fiction you would turn them into and admit that you want a dictatorship.
Old August 26, 2003, 01:41   #32
Ned
King

Local Time: 23:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I find it interesting how the hate mongering Monkspider equates religious zeal with immorality.
Old August 26, 2003, 01:42   #33
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
Judges should have a mandatory retirmement age.
And can you tell me how this wouldn't violate the ADEA or other federal Age Discrimination Laws?
Constitutional amendment! Haha, I ducked!
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old August 26, 2003, 01:43   #34
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
I find it interesting how the hate mongering Monkspider equates religious zeal with immorality.
Some of the most immoral people I've ever known were religious zealots.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old August 26, 2003, 01:46   #35
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
Constitutional amendment!
Ah, so now we are introducing frivilous Amendments like 'Judges over 70 should be forced to retire'. I thought we learned our lessons about frivolous Amendments from the 18th.

Seeing as the ADEA is a LAW, why didn't you just say change the law?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old August 26, 2003, 01:53   #36
Edan
Warlord

Re: Re: What should legislators do to stop another "GW Bush" from ever happening a
No Judges over 200!

Damn it with these zombie judges and their maintaining their jobs with an undead loophole!
Old August 26, 2003, 01:58   #37
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
That would be too easy, and the 14th Amendment would probably strike that down anyway.
Old August 26, 2003, 01:59   #38
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Some of the most immoral people I've ever known were religious zealots.
Name one.

However, this does mean that religious zeal ineluctably leads to immorality.
Old August 26, 2003, 02:00   #39
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
14th Amendment would probably strike that down anyway
Why? Age isn't something which is protected by the 14th.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old August 26, 2003, 02:04   #40
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Name one.
Do I have to stop at one? Fine, Rev. Fred Phelps. (Oh come on, that was too easy). How about Jim and Tammy Baker? Oral Roberts? Pat Robertson? Jerry Falwall? Terry Randall?

Quote:
Of course not. Those who don't want to shove their beliefs down my throat are not immoral. Those who want to tell me how I must live my life and will punish me if I don't do what they say, however, are immoral.
Old August 26, 2003, 02:05   #41
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Quote:
14th Amendment would probably strike that down anyway
Why? Age isn't something which is protected by the 14th.
Not specifically (hence the need for a law), but I would be willing to bet that SCOTUS would discover that the 14th would prevent a specific group of Americans for being singled out, i.e., old judges.
Old August 26, 2003, 02:07   #42
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Name one.
Do I have to stop at one? Fine, Rev. Fred Phelps. (Oh come on, that was too easy). How about Jim and Tammy Baker? Oral Roberts? Pat Robertson? Jerry Falwall? Terry Randall?

Quote:
Of course not. Those who don't want to shove their beliefs down my throat are not immoral. Those who want to tell me how I must live my life and will punish me if I don't do what they say, however, are immoral.
I agree - so we should get bigots like Monkspider out of here.
Old August 26, 2003, 02:27   #43
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
I agree - so we should get bigots like Monkspider out of here.
Has monkspider threatened to punish you?
Old August 26, 2003, 03:04   #44
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:51
Bar from participation in the electoral process, perhaps...
Old August 26, 2003, 04:19   #45
Ned
King

Che, as NYE expressly states, Monkspider would deny political freedom to all religious zealots:

"what can legislators do to stop such supremely immoral men from ever coming to power ever again? What steps can be taken to prevent this from happening to future generations? "

This is extremist - and directed against a class of people, the religious. Monkspider clearly is a bigot and a hate monger.
Old August 26, 2003, 04:23   #46
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 07:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
This is extremist
Coming from Ned?!
Old August 26, 2003, 04:40   #47
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Quote:
Constitutional amendment!
Ah, so now we are introducing frivilous Amendments like 'Judges over 70 should be forced to retire'. I thought we learned our lessons about frivolous Amendments from the 18th.

I find it entertaining that, just as our longer and healthier lifespans are about to force us to jack up the age eligabilty for retirement, Che wants to force judges into a relatively low one.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old August 26, 2003, 05:32   #48
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Local Time: 09:51
It's clear that some of you do hate religous zealoats for being a busybody in other men's matters.
It's clear that they're not strict religious zealoats because the Bible clearly teaches us that we shouldn't be busybodies in other men's life, read 1 Pete 4:

"But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or [as] a thief, or [as] an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters."

Conclusion: if you hate one, it can't be a real zealoat!
Old August 26, 2003, 07:52   #49
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar

Coming from Ned?!
All you commies ever think of is denying the right to vote to anyone who is not a fellow commie. And you think people who believe in democracy and tolerance are extremists!
Old August 26, 2003, 07:56   #50
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
All you commies ever think of is denying the right to vote to anyone who is not a fellow commie. And you think people who believe in democracy and tolerance are extremists!

wait, were you serious?
Old August 26, 2003, 08:12   #51
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed
Quote:

wait, were you serious?
Find me a communist who truly believes in a multi-party system. Lenin, Mao, Ho, Castro? Who?
Old August 26, 2003, 08:53   #52
Ned
King

As a example of where I am coming from, I was walking on the beach today and saw a group of 200 Baptists holding baptism ceremonies in the Pacific Ocean. They had a banner declaring there church and denomination. The only problem was, this beach also happens to be a state park where a lot of commies and their kids come to enjoy the Pacific free from religion. I would bet that if Monkspider had been there, he would have charged the Baptists, waving his red flag, shouting for the Baptists to leave because they were polluting his religion-free, state-park space.

Get the picture? Who is intollerant. Who is denying whom freedom of religion. Who is the bigot?
Old August 26, 2003, 10:57   #53
Q Classic
Emperor

I wouldn't be that monkspider would do it. to do so would not only be presumptuous--i don't know him well enough to say that.

you're right. at the same time, many of those southern baptists want to force religion down the throats of every little child who may or may not be going to hell, depending on whether they are baptist or not. so there are people on both sides who are intolerant. is that what you're looking for? news flash, ned, it's been obvious to many for years.
Old August 26, 2003, 13:59   #54
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

@ this thread.

I happen to pretty much agree with Che's list of reforms to the electoral process (though I just skimmed them), by the way. Well, that's my one agreement with Che this month

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old August 26, 2003, 14:39   #55
Defiant
King

Why should we do anything, from the point of the majority of Americans, everything is being done as correctly as can be. If you want something to change, change that joke of an institution called the Divided Nations.

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell
Old August 26, 2003, 14:46   #56
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

It all seems to be boiling down to a THEM and US situation.
If your a THEM, then the future is looking pretty bleak right now.
If your an US(coincidence ), then you've pretty much deluded yourselves into thinking life et all is nothing more than a civ game, with winners and losers.
The sad part is this kind of polarisation only breeds losers, and i dont think any political reform at any level will actually resolve the issue in a peaceable way.
As someone said its rapidly becoming not the realm of the politician, but the people to decide what kind of world do we want to live in.
Its quite exciting in a destructive kinda way.....IMHO.
Im getting ready
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old August 26, 2003, 14:49   #57
Kuciwalker
Deity

monkspider: Bush has a majority popular support right now. Are you saying that, despite the wish of the majority, we should institute YOUR policies?

Convince the majority of Americans that you are correct, and we'll do it

You are making the same claim as religious zealots do - just take it on faith.
Old August 26, 2003, 14:49   #58
chequita guevara
Emperor

You're silly, Neddie.
Old August 26, 2003, 14:50   #59
Kuciwalker
Deity

No he isn't. He's hit the nail right on the head.
Old August 26, 2003, 15:01   #60
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I wish legislators would save us from dumb commie kids doing inane poly threads.

If you hate Bush, get out the vote and get someone else.

Legislators.