rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 02:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by debeest
I don't have a first-turn save; I think my earliest save may be 1 AD. London is there at that point.
I thought there was an autosave on the first turn that doesn't get overwritten.
Old September 2, 2003, 11:45   #32
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 09:51
No, you have to make the 4000BC save yourself.
Old September 2, 2003, 14:45   #33
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Hmmm, whenever i go back to clean out, I always seem to find a few of those, and I'm sure I didn't make them.
Old September 2, 2003, 17:18   #34
Heresson
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 09:51
I never noticed anything like that
Old September 2, 2003, 17:46   #35
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
Hmmm, whenever i go back to clean out, I always seem to find a few of those, and I'm sure I didn't make them.
Could it be from restarting due to host techs etc? (obviously the game makes a save file from your most recent turn, and the only way this would be 4000 bc is if you didn't continue to play at 4000 bc as near as I can tell).

Other then this, I have never seen what Rah is referring to either, though I beleive he usually hosts, so the above would make sense...no?
Old September 2, 2003, 20:35   #36
Merlin
Settler

Local Time: 07:51
Given that London is the first English city, he could have used the map editor to create a map with that point as their starting place, then London is automatically founded there if you use accelerated start...
Old September 3, 2003, 08:02   #37
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk
Could it be from restarting due to host techs etc? (obviously the game makes a save file from your most recent turn, and the only way this would be 4000 bc is if you didn't continue to play at 4000 bc as near as I can tell).
Other then this, I have never seen what Rah is referring to either, though I beleive he usually hosts, so the above would make sense...no?
Yes, possible. I do usually host. My only question is that if we restart, and your theory is correct, wouldn't the new game overwrite the old one?
Old September 3, 2003, 14:10   #38
Elephant
Prince

Quote:
The first line of my last post ("shocked -- shocked!!") is a swipe from a humorous line in the movie Casablanca, and it was supposed to tip you all off that I was writing tongue-in-cheek.
"play it again, Sam..."

"round up the usual suspects..."

I appreciated the humor, and have seen even more stupid moves by the AI, but never so bad a city placement. Perhaps it was looking for a better one and just timed out and settled in the nearest Plains?
Old September 3, 2003, 14:13   #39
Elephant
Prince

Re: That's nothing!
Quote:
Originally posted by Straybow
"In my day we'd be happy to have a site with nothing but mountains. We lived in a puddle in the road and had to eat cold gravel for breakfast… Tell that to kids nowadays and they won't believe you."
"Kids today, they're spoiled. When I was a kid, we had nothing. We had to eat the lint out of our navels. But we were grateful for what we had."

"What did you have?"

"Nothing!"
Old September 3, 2003, 14:17   #40
Elephant
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by rah

Yes, possible. I do usually host. My only question is that if we restart, and your theory is correct, wouldn't the new game overwrite the old one?
If its a numbered SAV, like AB_B4000.SAV, you have to make it yourself; the game only makes AB_AUTO2.SAV ones. That's in Classic/2.4.2, not MGE. Could be different for setting up a MP game. And with restarts, could the leader's name be different, causing a different auto-save file?
Old September 3, 2003, 15:57   #41
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
is a swipe from a humorous line in the movie Casablanca,

Glad to know you weren't hurt by our skepticism.

So play it again, Sam.
Old September 3, 2003, 18:24   #42
debeest
Prince

Local Time: 23:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
>> Perhaps it was looking for a better one and just timed out and settled in the nearest Plains?

Yeah, Elephant, I was picturing the same kind of thoughts running through the poor little AI's head: "Doggonit, everyplace I look, there's nothing but mountains. I'd better build right here; these plains look like the best territory in the whole world."
Old September 3, 2003, 18:59   #43
Elephant
Prince

Change the Civ to Nepalese or Incans...
Old September 3, 2003, 23:51   #44
Theben
Deity

Local Time: 03:51
Yes, I have. I played an accelerated game, small map, where the AI decided to place my only city (size 8) on the arctic. I had 8 turns to find a decent new city with my existing units- sans palace, o' course.

p.s.- no, I don't have a saved version. It was a long time ago. You'll just have to trust me.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old September 4, 2003, 08:15   #45
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by Elephant

If its a numbered SAV, like AB_B4000.SAV, you have to make it yourself; the game only makes AB_AUTO2.SAV ones. That's in Classic/2.4.2, not MGE. Could be different for setting up a MP game. And with restarts, could the leader's name be different, causing a different auto-save file?
I always customize the leader name so it's always the same. RA_
Old September 4, 2003, 08:41   #46
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 08:51
Quote:
Originally posted by rah

I always customize the leader name so it's always the same. RA_
RA_liman
RA_psody
RA_theryouthanme

(a few others available, ... also in French and some other languages if you prefer )
Old September 4, 2003, 09:12   #47
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 08:51
Er, you spell rhapsody with an h.

Stray. Why did you explore in that direction? Whether I'm playing OCC or not, I always make sure I know the squares in the city radius before founding. The irrigation is pointless if you move a unit and discover a whale or some other decent special. "Man cannot live on a mined iron square alone...."
Old September 4, 2003, 14:07   #48
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Good point. But If I'm on a river dot, with a whale in reach, I don't need to see the other squares to settle. If there's something else in range, It's a bonus.

Most good surprises come from that second city that you place on the river just to get the extra beaker and a place to spit settlers out of. That first warrior moves out to clear the rest of the squares and BINGO, something else good in reach.
Old September 4, 2003, 17:54   #49
Elephant
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by duke o' york
Stray. Why did you explore in that direction? Whether I'm playing OCC or not, I always make sure I know the squares in the city radius before founding. The irrigation is pointless if you move a unit and discover a whale or some other decent special. "Man cannot live on a mined iron square alone...."
Looks like he was moving west, saw the Coal, then the Iron and knew he had at least a 3-Special site so when he saw the Plains at the center he just plunked down and waited for his first Warrior to figure out the rest. I'm curious what it was, Stray...
Old September 4, 2003, 22:48   #50
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
Good point. But If I'm on a river dot, with a whale in reach, I don't need to see the other squares to settle. If there's something else in range, It's a bonus.
Curious... what's a river dot (I assume you don't mean shielded grass, since you get a free shield in the citysquare anyway)?

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old September 4, 2003, 23:03   #51
Cedric Greene
Chieftain

I think he used the word dot in place of square, "But if I'm on a river square..."
Old September 5, 2003, 08:14   #52
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Used dot instead of shield, since it looks more like a dot.

Too much 2x production, where you don't get two shields for the city square unless it's a dot.
In a 1x game the dot wouldn't make a difference.
Old September 5, 2003, 11:14   #53
HeymlicH
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:51
I've seen a capital in the polar region once. However, it was my own capital and I think this was the last time I lost a game. But it was close
Old September 6, 2003, 20:02   #54
rah
lifer
Just another peon

There was a challange for that once.
Old September 7, 2003, 18:05   #55
debeest
Prince

Local Time: 23:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Yep, I remembered there had been a polar challenge. But even there, you get a bunch of ocean squares to use. In this London location, I don't think the city (on its own) can ever grow larger than size 2 without a supermarket, size 3 with one. Of course, I also seem to remember that someone has succeeded in a size-one polar OCC. But that was a deliberate choice to make things difficult. I don't THINK that's what the AI was doing here....
Old September 8, 2003, 08:00   #56
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 00:51
Quote:
Originally posted by duke o' york
It was a specific challenge. I think it was Mercatia (who has since mysteriously disappeared) had complained about some rotten terrain in a game.

I had an abandoned start that was too mountainous but I recalled there were some 4-special sites, so I made the challenge.

Nobody took me up on it (cowards). I was just able to launch in time to land by 2020.
Old September 9, 2003, 08:37   #57
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Quote:
Of course, I also seem to remember that someone has succeeded in a size-one polar OCC.
Yes, that one always amused be because I would mention it to newbies and they'd just look at me in total disbelief and horror. Then to finish them off, you could just say, DEITY, of course.