Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	53745  
Old September 21, 2003, 22:24   #32
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Well played, Tall Stranger! Any postgame thoughts on your idea of the scenario (no Golden Age)?

To include more than one screenshot in a post you'll have to upload them, then link to them in img tags. Conveniently, 'Poly has a free upload feature.

Dominae
Old September 23, 2003, 21:00   #33
Tall Stranger
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
Warlord

Well, I've been trying to put my thoughts together on this, and here's what I've been able to come up with. They're in no particular order.

The first thing that strikes me in reviewing my game was how important early conquest was. I noticed other, better players getting trapped on that peninsula and either choosing not to break out or never having the forces to do it convincingly. I guess it makes sense, since the increased production of early conquests can help make up for the production you won't get from your GA, but I never would have expected it. (A large element of luck, in the form of an early AI war on Carthage, always helps!!)

Tech trading (and diplomacy in general) continues on for much longer than usual. Since I never got the massive spike in my research capability, the AI was able to keep up with me for much longer. I also found myself doing more luxury trading than I usually do, I guess because some civs were around much longer than they would otherwise be, since I couldn't conquer them completely.

War mongering becomes more challenging without using the UU, since I had to set pretty strict objectives for the war. Oscillating wars was a must. I also found myself not attacking cities with important wonders until I completed my last wonder (UN). What was also interesting, though, was that war mongering types like yours truly had to resort to a builder-type strategy for a while (from knights until infantry, essentially).

Finally, in building, I found that I needed to prioritize my efforts more than usual, since I really could not build everything in my cities (at least until very late in the game, when it didn't matter.) For example, at the time of infantry, I still had some quasi-important cities without marketplaces. Since I didn't have the massive gold reserves you can generate from tech sales and the GA in general, I could ill-afford to rush these buildings.

These are the things that come most directly to mind. I'm sure others have additional insights.
Old September 23, 2003, 22:38   #34
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
:applause:

Someday...

/me puts on sunglasses: Ah'll be back.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 23, 2003, 23:49   #35
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 00:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus

Someday...

* Theseus puts on sunglasses: Ah'll be back.
Me too. Workin' on it now.
Old October 5, 2003, 23:41   #36
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Rhoth's victory
Well, as I've talked about, I've been playing this on and off for a little while now. I finally achieved the victory tonight. It was tough fought until the start of the industrial age. I made one round of tech deals that brought me to parity and I never looked back.

I have a whole list of events and reasonings, but none of it is typed right now. I'm planning on writing up a full AAR soon.

BTW, fun scenario. Between the starting location and the lack of golden age and Cossacks it was pretty difficult for a while. But now I can call myself one of the few and the proud to beat this scenario.

PS: I played this on emperor with no AU mod since I once again forgot to download the AU mod version before starting it.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1824ad2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	54569  

Last edited by Rhothaerill; October 6, 2003 at 00:07.
Old October 5, 2003, 23:45   #37
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!

Can't wait to read the AAR. Along with RL plans (diving SE Asia), this really is on my to do list. Good for you, Rhothy!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old October 5, 2003, 23:50   #38
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Thanks Theseus. I was originally going to head for a domination victory, which is why I have part of the Babs lands too. But along about 1650 (when I completed my conquest of the Japanese) I got tired of it and wanted to finish up the game to get on to BCV from MZO. There was no possible way anyone could catch me, even by diplomatic victory, since I had a GL waiting to rush the UN if that became necessary. I set defenders up at my port cities to protect from any possible marine incursions and then set all my workers to automate while researching techs as fast as possible.

A small hitch occured when France (who had been gracious the entire game) got a bee in their bonnet to attack me. So I paid off the Germans to keep them busy (and so they didn't attack me too) and just defended a few attacks while steaming ahead to the spaceship techs.