Old August 26, 2003, 04:41   #1
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 10:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Your 15 minutes of fame?
Have you been in tv, papers etc?

I've been in papers when I was 6 or 7, with a big picture of me and my friend eating donuts and drinking juice after we won (my friend won, I came second) a local .. what you call them? You run with a map, try to find checkpoints and then run to finish? Anyway we won that and we were famous! Amongst our parents.. blah .

I've been with few of my friends in finnish movie, just for few seconds in... 91? I won't tell the name of the movie though .

What else.. oh yeah! I've been in the biggest finnish soap opera (salatut elämät) for few seconds as well, when they had episodes where two of the guys went to army, and I was in the army at the point and we were marching and some camera guys came and asked if they could get us on film a bit to show real marching, so.. I was in it! ... so my army career has been captured and showed on finnish soap opera

I was interviewed when I was 15 to local paper about hockey school I was in for a week that had few NHL instructors..

I think that's pretty much about it. How about you?
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old August 26, 2003, 04:45   #2
Ned
King

Local Time: 23:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I was on CBS Evening News in 1982. I have often been on local TV news, and have been quoted in national publications. When I was a kid, I was on a TV kid show.

Does this count?
Old August 26, 2003, 04:47   #3
Pekka
Emperor

Ned, Sure that counts! You're famous!

Why were you on CBS Evening News? Or in general in local news.. are you some kind of expert on some issue, and they want you to say your opinion or what?
Old August 26, 2003, 04:50   #4
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

There is a picture of me as a baby in some Belorussian local newspaper.
Old August 26, 2003, 04:57   #5
Saras
Emperor

I'm quoted by our business daily 2-3 times a year.
Old August 26, 2003, 05:01   #6
Pekka
Emperor

Saras, really? Pretty cool. But you were some kind of economist, something to do with stocks? Any good tips? Any insider info? I need the money!

Eli, I bet you were naked in it.. or drooling
Old August 26, 2003, 05:54   #7
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 08:51
I was photographed for the local paper when I was 5, winning the sack race at my school sports day. Christ knows why they didn't choose someone more photogenic.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old August 26, 2003, 06:19   #8
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 07:51
I was interviewed on national TV for (funnily enough) almost exactly 15 minutes a few years ago. Well, that was my lot - a lifetime of obscurity awaits.
Old August 26, 2003, 06:31   #9
Pekka
Emperor

Hey guys tell us what was the thing about if you were on tv or interviewed...
Old August 26, 2003, 06:55   #10
Saras
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Pekka
Saras, really? Pretty cool. But you were some kind of economist, something to do with stocks? Any good tips? Any insider info? I need the money!
Old August 26, 2003, 06:57   #11
Pekka
Emperor

Saras, *psst* I heard about this great new company.. Punisher Weapon Systems... I heard it's going to be the bomb! You should push it to clients a lot...
Old August 26, 2003, 07:00   #12
Saras
Emperor

Old August 26, 2003, 07:33   #13
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 09:51
I hadn´t those moments of fame yet. But i plan to publish a weird video showing me playing with a star wars light sabre....
Old August 26, 2003, 08:03   #14
Ned
King

Local Time: 23:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
I was on CBS Evening News in 1982. I have often been on local TV news, and have been quoted in national publications. When I was a kid, I was on a TV kid show.

Does this count?
In 1982, I was a lawyer representing a class of defendants in a class action. The issue was whether it was legal to have an attenna to receive HBO signals broadcast into the air, unscrambled. In my case, the judge threw the case out and chastised the GC of HBO. Later, Congress passed a law that broadcasters had to scramble their signals in order to acquire "exclusivity."

On other issues, I have been the leader of organizations and active in certain issues. I have been on Boards of this and Boards of that, etc. So I got quoted a lot.

Just a few weeks ago, a reporter was trying to get ahold of me to write a story. I declined to be interviewed.
Old August 26, 2003, 08:06   #15
Pekka
Emperor

Ned, I never knew you were a lawyer and all kinds of stuff.. I thought you were 20+ student or something...
but hey you did have Vin Diesel avatar, so it's your own fault .
Old August 26, 2003, 08:35   #16
lightblue
Warlord

I have played in a number of nationally (Luxembourg ) televised basketball matches (cup finals, play off games) when I used to play basketball for Residence Walferdange. Was also a J16 and J17 Luxembourg national basketball team player.

Also was in the papers earlier for tennis and track and field.

Since coming to the UK the only papers i have been in is the University newspaper, once again for sport (basketball, and now rowing).
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old August 26, 2003, 08:41   #17
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I might have spent some seconds on the screen - occassionally when the news did some piece about Finnish schools, they filmed in our school. Also, there's a yearly event in Joensuu, where all the kiddies in grades 1-6 go to a place called Laulurinne to sing a bunch of kiddy songs and it always rains - the news at 10 usually does a short piece about Laulurinne and they shortly show children singing there, incl, IIRC, me once.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old August 26, 2003, 08:55   #18
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

I've been mentioned in local papers several times in my youth as chess player, but nothing that would exceed 5-10 lines at a time. Once with a picture, a crappy one of course, where I sweep the boards clean of some drunkards, who challenged me in a simultanous game in a local festival. I was in our national chess monthly with 2 self composed chess problems, which were ranked in a hungarian problem tournament. All this has been 20 years or more ago, and nothing of the glory remained .
Old August 26, 2003, 08:57   #19
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I thought Ned is ~25 years old too.
Old August 26, 2003, 09:02   #20
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 18:51
I was included in a tourism advertisement for Darling Harbour in Sydney, and occupied a whole second of that 30 second ad.

I have still yet to get my other 14 minutes and 59 seconds of fame.
Old August 26, 2003, 09:16   #21
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 01:51
Um...was on a local TV show called The Buckshot Show three times when I was a wee lad.

Three years ago, I was in flyers for Eatons wearing swim trunks, hoodies, khakis, and jeans.
Old August 26, 2003, 09:35   #22
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

never ever, anything

my name's sure been in local news for prizes in local maths competitions and graduating from school (all graduates are listed in newspaper), but never a pic or anything in TV
Old August 26, 2003, 09:58   #23
Eli
Emperor

Now that I think about it, I was on some local TV news twice.

Once when I was about 12 years old and we had this special class for gifted children once a week... So one night, hmm, I dont even remember what we were doing but there was a TV crew there and they showed us on the local news.
Another time, couple years ago, we were doing a maths exam in school and a TV crew was filming us in the class.
Old August 26, 2003, 10:03   #24
Pekka
Emperor

Eli, I think you misspelled the special class.. wasn't it for how should I put it.. I mean you are special and we love you but wasn't it for.. challenged children?
Old August 26, 2003, 10:05   #25
Rex Little
Prince

Local Time: 07:51
In order of appearance:

1. I was on a local kids' show at about age 9. My three brothers and I were all dressed up in these native costumes my grandfather brought back from some South Pacific island country. Looked like pajamas.

2. In college (1969), a hundred or so demonstrators took over the Student Union to protest the Vietnam war. A group of a dozen students, including myself, marched on the Student Union carrying signs which made fun of the protestors. When a TV news crew came by, the others pushed me out front as their spokesman. My face was on the news that night, but I was so incoherent (not angry, just confused and making no sense) that the station didn't play the audio.

3. I don't know if they still do this, but TV and radio stations used to air editorials, after which they would invite those with opposing views to reply. I was part of a libertarian group which would often reply to the welfare-statist positions taken by Boston stations. I personally got to read four or five of my rebuttals on the air.

4. I was a contestant on a game show called Cross-Wits, which ran for two or three years in the late '70s. My celebrity teammates were Bernie Koppel (Doc on "Love Boat") and Della Reese (great singer, later on "Touched by an Angel"). The opposing celebs were Fred Grandy (Gopher on "Love Boat", later a congressman) and Rhonda Bates (very tall redhead with a huge smile, played opposite Don Rickles on the sitcom "CPO Sharkey"). In the bonus round Bernie and I had to solve a 10-word crossword puzzle in 60 seconds. I burned through 9 words in half the time, but couldn't get the last one. He nailed it for me with 2 seconds left.
Old August 26, 2003, 10:17   #26
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 03:51
Chronologically, I have appeared in:

1) CFCF12 news (ten second clip) for being a smartass to the reporter when they came to visit our class during a presentation regarding safety and electrical devices

2) The Montreal Gazette (full page story including large photograph on the third page of the paper) for giving a lecture in trig to a precal class at Dawson College when 11

3) TVQ coverage of the St. Patrick's day parade of 1998 (a glimpse of me from behind and audio from me) for singing and fiddling with my friends Mike and Caspian

4) CFCF12 News (3 second sound bite) for postulating that Quebecers lead the most active sex life of all Canadians due to "their French heritage". I'm particularly proud of this one.

It's possible that there have been other occasions, but I don't currently recall them.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old August 26, 2003, 10:31   #27
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Pekka, I want to be honest, you disturb me more and more with every new thread that you post.
Old August 26, 2003, 10:34   #28
Pekka
Emperor

Ecthelion, why?
Old August 26, 2003, 10:37   #29
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

I was famous quite a while, but in a very small area.
Albert Speer
Old August 26, 2003, 10:42   #30
KrazyHorse
Deity

Oh, yeah. I was also in the McGill newspaper a few years back for mentoring a robotics team in the Canada FIRST competition.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'