Old August 26, 2003, 08:33   #1
eao
Settler

Local Time: 02:52
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Elite Units, game review
I started a game last night as Germany. I started out on a flood plain, and was cranking out settlers. I had 7 cities at about 1200 BC, and from out of no where, Russia proposes a trade: Russia's Territory Map for my Territory map + 23 gold. I felt like that was extortion, so I told Russia to go pound sand.

What was their reaction? War! Not just any war. They had to enlist four other countries against me the turn after their war declaration.

Now I think my first mistake was not contacting my neighboring civs for alliances against the Russians. Regardless, I held off the five country onslaught until 500 AD, when most of the invaders decided thier efforts were futile. Out of the whole war, I got only one leader. I lost 15 or so elite Swordsmen, which shocked me, as Germany is militaristic.

Meanwhile, the Japanese, who were not involved at any point during the war, come at me with knights and samurai. I fought them off for a few turns, and bought them off with my measly 150 gold treasury. So now I'm way behind in techs, and all the other civs are extorting me for cash. The only thing I have going for me is culture; I've been sucking in a few cities.

What can I learn from this game? When attacked for no reason, make alliances against your attacked before he does the same to you? Don't let wars drag on for 1700 years? Don't fight a war in while in despotism? Why were the elite units so ineffective?
Old August 26, 2003, 09:00   #2
Nym
Prince

Local Time: 08:52
Re: Elite Units, game review
Quote:
Originally posted by eao
When attacked for no reason, make alliances against your attacked before he does the same to you?
That is what I do when I can, especially with my neighbours.

Quote:
Don't let wars drag on for 1700 years?
Yes, it would be better if you do not want to be technically out.

Quote:
Don't fight a war in while in despotism?
You can fight under despotism. Best government to fight is communism but I prefer republic to keep a high science level.

Quote:
Why were the elite units so ineffective?
The chance was not with you during this game.
Old August 26, 2003, 09:41   #3
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Re: Elite Units, game review
Quote:
Originally posted by eao
When attacked for no reason, make alliances against your attacked before he does the same to you?
That's tremendously important:

If your opponent has to go through another country to get to you (naval landings don't count, the AI is crappy at it), ally with this civ and you're rid of them. You may get a RoP and help him (maybe to generate a leader), or not, if you don't want.

If your opponent is your neighbor and there's a civ located behind him, ally with that civ. The AI sucks at 2 front wars.

If there's no civ behind the attacker, but behind you, ally with that civ and grant them a RoP, just to prevent your ally to do so and get you in a 2 front war.

Quote:
Don't let wars drag on for 1700 years?
Years don't count, they're variable. Turns count. Choose your targets wisely, strike hard, strike fast, get your objectives and get the hell out of that war. Don't let your wars last more than 10 or at most 20 turns.

Quote:
Don't fight a war in while in despotism
I don't see why. Despotism is a good war government.

Quote:
Why were the elite units so ineffective?
Pray, keep your fingers crossed, knock at wood. Bet you missed that. A sacrifice to the gods of the RNG will do it too (NYE takes m&m's). If you're not superstitious, just try again in the next war.
Old August 26, 2003, 09:51   #4
eao
Settler

Re: Re: Elite Units, game review
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
Pray, keep your fingers crossed, knock at wood. Bet you missed that. A sacrifice to the gods of the RNG will do it too (NYE takes m&m's). If you're not superstitious, just try again in the next war.
Gotcha. I won't change my socks until the next time I attack with an elite unit.
Old August 26, 2003, 10:06   #5
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Looks like you worked out your 'errors' already It's very important to get allies, they may not be very effective but at least they bother someone else. Even if I hate to give the AI anything I will gladly pay them GPT or luxuries to fight at my side if the situation is getting tight.
Old August 26, 2003, 11:48   #6
Gufnork
Prince

Local Time: 07:52
One thing I do with my elites is to never throw them at something they might lose. I always weaken cities with veterans until the defenders are so weak that I'm confident to win. That's when I bring in the elites. Always use elites to attack lone archers, but never place them in a position where they can be counterattacked. Veterans are expendable. Elites are not.

Then again, no matter how well you care for your elites, Lady Luck has her own agenda.
Old August 26, 2003, 15:20   #7
Nym
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Gufnork
Lady Luck has her own agenda.
I like the way you say it.
Old August 26, 2003, 15:54   #8
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 03:52
Quote:
I'd amend that slightly: If attacked and you do not have the capability to flatten the attacker, get alliances.

Better yet, however, is to be the attacker.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old August 26, 2003, 16:06   #9
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 09:52
Once, I couldn't ally with anybody on the continent (emperor level). I had been churning out settlers to be first in the settler race, and the AI didn't like that. It profited from my overextension to get me easily. The AI hasn't made a grand alliance against me in the first turn, but there was simply no price I could pay to bribe anybody to join my side
Old August 26, 2003, 16:14   #10
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

If you're weak and your opponent is strong, it's hard to find allies. I've learned that one the hard way too.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old August 26, 2003, 18:01   #11
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

The easiest way to get them on board is to offer some tech. That is, if you have any. Next I will offer luxs, they tend to want those. One other reason to sign up others even when you do not need them and maybe don't care if they come in against you, is when you want to stop the war, it is a lot easier if there is only one enemy.
Old August 26, 2003, 18:21   #12
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 00:52
This may be more my impression than hard fact, but it seems to me if I drag early wars on for too long, civs are much more willing to ally against me, than if I do so later. This could be based on any number of factors as well: having a chance to build a trading history/relationship with those civs, my strength later in the game, etc. But I try to never fight early wars more than 8 or 9 turns or so, if possible.
Old August 27, 2003, 13:45   #13
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Alliances are good but as Arrian says only if you really think you need them, if you think you can easily torch the civ that declares on you then go it alone.

Much better by far to make sure you have a strong miliatary for defense or for attack and be the one to declare the war in the first place.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old August 28, 2003, 04:22   #14
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Make an alliance anyway. Even if you are strong enough to rip your victim to pieces without help, an alliance make sure your victim don't recieve help(techs, resources).

Alliances are cheaper when you are stronger, give them a lux and they join
Old August 28, 2003, 09:01   #15
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

My feeling is that if they were wanting your territory map and gold, that war was coming soon anyway. This is usually my clue to start building alliances right away even if the cost is high. Next time, give them the map, get an alliance, and then attack first!
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old August 28, 2003, 15:06   #16
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I now do alliances much more than I used to... just so I don't get bothered by the other AI civs, and also to disrupt everybody. It sometimes backfires in a good way, and results in Killer AI civs.

My favorites are total gangbangs, where I ally the world against one AI civ, and then rinse and repeat against them all in turn.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.