Old August 26, 2003, 09:06   #1
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:52
Local Date: November 2, 2010
People in developing countries like multinational corps, don't like trade protestors
http://yaleglobal.yale.edu/display.article?id=1934

Interesting.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old August 26, 2003, 09:10   #2
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 03:52
Yes, it is.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old August 26, 2003, 09:10   #3
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 18:52
Summary for the lazy!
Old August 26, 2003, 09:12   #4
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quick summary:

Poll results show that people in the 3rd world actually have a rather positive view of multination corporations & "globalization," and most of the opposition is in the developed West.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old August 26, 2003, 09:15   #5
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 18:52
Thanks.

I read the article anyway though.
Old August 26, 2003, 09:20   #6
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Multinationals pay. Protesters don't. I'd prefer a paycheck too.
Old August 26, 2003, 09:21   #7
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

By the way, I'm not at all surprised at this.
Old August 26, 2003, 09:23   #8
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Local Time: 07:52
Well of course they do! Theyre offering employment and the ability to keep exploding populations (not literally, although....) alive.

Work in near-slavery conditions, or you and your family die? Tough one.
Old August 26, 2003, 09:57   #9
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Have the chance to make the climb out of agricultural servitude ala the US and Western Europe circa 1750-1950, or you and your family die? Tough one.

One has to wonder at the motives of people who protest for other people who aren't so bothered as to organize massive protests themselves.
Old August 26, 2003, 10:26   #10
Saras
Emperor

Local Time: 10:52
--"Work in near-slavery conditions, or you and your family die? Tough one."

Lame troll. Philip Morris, Mars, TeliaSonera, Marzotto, etc. are and have been from the roots of our independence the best employers in this country, both in terms of pay, conditions, benefits, general atmosphere etc.
Old August 26, 2003, 12:06   #11
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 23:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnT
Have the chance to make the climb out of agricultural servitude ala the US and Western Europe circa 1750-1950, or you and your family die? Tough one.
But remember, everyone has to have their turn in the fields, so that they don't think they're above the proletariat.

Quote:
One has to wonder at the motives of people who protest for other people who aren't so bothered as to organize massive protests themselves.
It's because those poor people are too ignorant and oppressed, and afraid to speak their minds for fear of right wing death squads to keep them in line. Since they can't be enlightened, we have to do it for them.
Old August 26, 2003, 14:05   #12
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Oh, yeah. I forgot.

Makes one wonders how the oppressed and benighted peoples of W. Europe crawled from the muck. Who protested for us?
Old August 26, 2003, 14:45   #13
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

We're white people. We had it naturally easy, plus we climbed out of the muck on the backs of those er, um... muckier toned people.
Old August 26, 2003, 14:46   #14
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnT
Who protested for us?
We did.

Anyway, I'm not at all surprised by this poll, considering how biased it was. The mainstream view of the "anti-globalization" protestors is that they are opposed to economic development of the 3rd World, that it's only Westerners protesting, etc.

Truth: the movement is internationalist, with substantial contacts in the 3rd world, and derives much of its leadership from the 3rd World.

Truth: the movement wants development in the 3rd world, but with labor and environmental protections, so that they can enjoy the fruits of their development, so that they don't have to live in ****-holes like the Maquiladoras in Mexico or worry about their bosses hiring death squads when they try and organize, like in Columbia.

Truth: the "anti-globalization" protests have been far larger in the 3rd World than in the 1st.

Truth: this is just another protest-bashing piece with no real substance.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old August 26, 2003, 14:52   #15
Kuciwalker
Deity

Truth: che has yet to back up any of his "Truths"
Old August 26, 2003, 14:53   #16
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
Truth: che has yet to back up any of his "Truths"

I'm working, not playing while at school. Anyway, I don't care enough about this place anymore to make an effort to prove anything to conservatives.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old August 26, 2003, 14:55   #17
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:52
I think it's funny how JohnT points to how Western civilization crawled out of "servitude", and then yet bashes the very people who led such efforts... i.e. progressives and organized labor unions...
Old August 26, 2003, 14:58   #18
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

I'm working, not playing while at school. Anyway, I don't care enough about this place anymore to make an effort to prove anything to conservatives.
Isn't that what Fez said, regarding liberals?

Old August 26, 2003, 15:06   #19
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
Truth: the movement is internationalist, with substantial contacts in the 3rd world, and derives much of its leadership from the 3rd World.
So how come all the people you see running amok at G8 meetings and striking blows against oppression by looting a Starbucks are disctinctly white and American or European looking?

Quote:
Truth: the movement wants development in the 3rd world, but with labor and environmental protections, so that they can enjoy the fruits of their development, so that they don't have to live in ****-holes like the Maquiladoras in Mexico or worry about their bosses hiring death squads when they try and organize, like in Columbia.
Uh, you don't live in maquiladoras, you work there. Maybe one of these days I ought to drive around and take photos of some of these local hellholes, too.

And yeah, you'd better not try to organize anything in FARC territory in Colombia that the FARC doesn't approve of.

Quote:
Truth: the "anti-globalization" protests have been far larger in the 3rd World than in the 1st.
Where?
Old August 26, 2003, 15:12   #20
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

I don't think these MNC's are as evil as these people say... and most of these protestors are nutbags, but their arguments are quite valid. It's a shame they have to act like dipshits and hurt their own cause.

But if all these foreign peoples are being exploited and treated like slaves, then they should strike and refuse to work... start a labor movement like the US did in the early 20th century. It's just like Democracy... labor reform has to come from the people. And it might be hard for many to realize, but it's the peoples' own damn fault if they allow themselves to be slaves. I'm not going to blame some faceless company for using cheaper labor. If they were forced to use domestic labor, prices would be so much higher that people would be *****ing about high prices. And since Americans aren't willing enough to pay higher prices for their goods, in the end, the consumer is the one to blame.
Old August 26, 2003, 15:13   #21
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 16:52
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

So how come all the people you see running amok at G8 meetings and striking blows against oppression by looting a Starbucks are disctinctly white and American or European looking?
Because they won't let poor people come in case they try to stay.
Old August 26, 2003, 15:17   #22
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon

Because they won't let poor people come in case they try to stay.
Old August 26, 2003, 15:26   #23
HershOstropoler
Settler

Local Time: 08:52
David Dollar?

Well overall economic integration is the way forward. But one shouldn't forget some of the problems: Oppression of workers by collusion between companies and governments, western protectionism and agriculture subsidies, expansion of crony capitalism and corruption, brain****ed IMF boys running amok...

But those are problems that are not caused by free markets, but by lack thereof.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old August 26, 2003, 15:30   #24
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Well, the guy has the name for the job.

Just admit it, you're one of the bourgeois oppressors.
Old August 26, 2003, 15:33   #25
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 00:52
Of course we are going to protest! I don't want MY job to migrate to some shitholes thousands of miles away!

Besides, if we don't protest, you third-worlders are gonna suffer the same fate as our ancestors around ca 1850.
Old August 26, 2003, 15:35   #26
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker

Isn't that what Fez said, regarding liberals?

Oh my god, I think you're right.
Old August 26, 2003, 15:36   #27
HershOstropoler
Settler

Local Time: 08:52
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

Just admit it, you're one of the bourgeois oppressors.
Yes, but the enemy of my enemy... so let's burn the IMF.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old August 26, 2003, 15:37   #28
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Merciless
Besides, if we don't protest, you third-worlders are gonna suffer the same fate as our ancestors around ca 1850.
So?
Old August 26, 2003, 15:40   #29
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by HershOstropoler

Yes, but the enemy of my enemy... so let's burn the IMF.
Yeah! BBQ!
Old August 26, 2003, 15:43   #30
Saras
Emperor

Local Time: 10:52
Hold it right there! IMF may assign morons to LatAm but here the mission was the only obstacle for loose spending Lithuanian governments and corrupt Central Bank governors in their quest to derail our economy.

IMF!