Old August 26, 2003, 15:10   #1
rishenko
Settler

Local Time: 07:52
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Immigration
I would imagine this topic has been mentioned before, but it appears that forum searching has been disabled.

During the Cold War, people from communistic East Berlin risked their lives to cross the Wall into democratic West Berlin for what they believed to be a better lifestyle. Today, America has a constant influx of immigrants from Mexico, Cuba and other countries.

What if you had basic immigration from one country to another due to culture/unhappiness/government differences. Civ3 allows for culture flips of an entire city but wouldn't it be even more evil and require further strategy if a border city's population could be siphoned slowly to the better living civ next door?

What if war weariness increased the exodus to a neighboring civ?

What if you could enforce police activity in such border cities to prevent loss of population at the expense of happiness?

What if the city on the receiving end of the population couldn't handle the influx of immigrants and fell into disorder?

What if you had to setup border patrols to prevent immigrants from crossing?

What if you could use espionage to court a scientist or scientist leader (Conquests) from another country to your own?

What if two countries agreed diplomatically (or one demanded contingent to war?) to return any refugees from one country to another?

Just a few thoughts.
Old August 26, 2003, 18:06   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:52
Fun ideas, but you would have a different game. I am not sure I would care for all that intrigue.
They have some of that in Moo3.
Old August 26, 2003, 18:09   #3
Kuciwalker
Deity

Culture flipping.
Old August 27, 2003, 11:06   #4
rishenko
Settler

Local Time: 07:52
Not quite culture flipping - or complementary
Culture flipping can catch you off guard. You are just waiting for your turn and watch while a city, out of the blue, flips to the other side. Granted, the civ next to you may a slightly higher culture value, but you still have no prior indication.

However, if you had a couple cities next to a rival civ and received updates every few turns that population was leaving to a neighboring city, you would have more warning.

If you had several neighboring civs and was watching as your population was dwindling on the border cities, you could plan ahead.

The ideas I listed above were just thoughts. It would make things more interesting, imho, in regards to culture and diplomacy with neighboring civs if even a couple of the immigration ideas were implemented.
Old August 27, 2003, 11:32   #5
Turk Man
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:52
well that a good idea!
Old August 27, 2003, 13:33   #6
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 08:52
Certainly interesting ideas for a future version maybe Civ4, but even then it would only be a thing that would happen in the modern age I think.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old August 28, 2003, 05:41   #7
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

There have been immigrants and refugees for thousands of years...I'd like to see them in a civ-game.

When a city is starving, why don't people leave? When you raze a city half become slaves and the rest just disappear...to where?

All those wandering people shold either settle somewhere or travel to a foreign country.
Old August 28, 2003, 08:54   #8
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 02:52
Quote:
Originally posted by bongo
There have been immigrants and refugees for thousands of years...I'd like to see them in a civ-game.

When a city is starving, why don't people leave? When you raze a city half become slaves and the rest just disappear...to where?

All those wandering people shold either settle somewhere or travel to a foreign country.
I to have often wondered what happens to the displaced when a city is razed. Are they killed or do they just fade into the countryside? Why don't they become guerillas if they are in the countryside? I guess they must be killed as the city is destroyed.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old August 28, 2003, 09:27   #9
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

What might work, since a similar mechanism already exists in the game, would be for your citizens in border cities to change to the neighbouring civs nationality.

In captured cities citizens already change to your nationality over time so it should be possible to implement this.

The more citizens change to your rival's nationality the higher the chance of the city flipping to the other civ.
Old August 28, 2003, 12:39   #10
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by bongo

One word: Stalingrad
Old August 29, 2003, 04:10   #11
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

I don't know much about the fate of the civilian population in stalingrad but I've been under the impression that they couldn't leave. The city was under siege. For all I know soviet authorities may have denied them to flee as well.
Old September 1, 2003, 08:06   #12
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 16:52
I too like the idea of people escaping to a better life in a better cultured life.

It would also be good if there was a bit more notice on a city looking to flip.