Old February 11, 2000, 11:07   #1
Hendrik the Great
Prince

Local Time: 06:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What to do next...
Hi all!

I'm basicly finished with my Byzantine Scenario, also I can't seem to get it to be really finished.

Anyway.

It's time to start thinking what to do next and I already have 3 ideas but can't decide.
Here they come(listed in no order whatsoever):

1. A scenario about Amundson and Scott in their race to the south pole. I have a good map and terrain for this one thanks to Mercator. Meaning I might get finished relatively fast.

2. A scenario about the Byzantine Civil War period in the first half of the 14th century.
I do know a lot about Byzantine history by now so I can just take ideas I did not implement into my current project.

3. A scenario about the Khmer Empire in South East Asia around the 14th and 15th century. However, I know as good as nothing about their cultur and civilization to make a scenario out of it by now.

4. Something else: Any suggestions are welcome.

So, what do you think?
Old February 11, 2000, 20:05   #2
Coug
King

Local Time: 17:53
To call Amundson by his correct name, AmundsEn
Old February 12, 2000, 06:34   #3
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

How about...

-The Kushana or Gupta empires in India
-The conquest of Indonesia by the Dutch
-The colonization of India by the English/Portugese/French/Danes...

I've BTW decided what scenario to do next. In one way, it's dealing with Persian history, yet only very marginally. It's about the rise of the Mughal empire in India (1526-1658). They had something to do with the Persians, but they were rather Afghan (of Mongol origin). I've done much progress very fast, so I'm expecting it out in a month or two.

------------------
Follow the masses!
30,000 lemmings can't be wrong.

We who grew up tall and proud
In the shadow of the mushroom cloud
Convinced our voices can't be heard
We just want to scream it louder and louder:
"What the hell are we fighting for?"
"Just surrender and it won't hurt at all"
-Brian May (Queen)
Old February 12, 2000, 07:42   #4
Hendrik the Great
Prince

Coug: I see I still have to figure out a lot. Amundsen, now I got it!

Stefan Härtel:
-Kushana or Gupta empires? I never even heard of them till now! What time period was it and were in India?

-It is a very intriging idea...I mean I'm living in the Netherlands so it wouldn't be that hard to find some info about it. Also I have a map at my hands, so...

-Danes in India? I knew about the English, French and the Portugese...
Sounds interesting though!

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old February 12, 2000, 11:38   #5
Stefan Härtel
King

1) Well, The Gupta are notable for their two great kings Chandragupta and Asoka, who flourished in the 3d century BC. It might be interesting to make a scenario about the struggle between the Gupta and Seleukos Nikator for the Indus Valley.
The Kushana reigned around 200 AD in central Asia and India. They were very notable for their flourishing art and culture. I don't know too much about them, my Grandfather does
2) The Dutch were also very active in India. They fought very hard against the Portugese, driving them out of most of their posessions (most importantly Sri Lanka) in the 17th/18th century.
3) The Danes had a colony in Bengal (Today's Bangladesh). Important were only the English, Portugese and Dutch, and later the French. I have very much stuff about India's history at home, and I'm ready to do a lot for the research.

------------------
Follow the masses!

-Brian May (Queen)
Old February 12, 2000, 15:33   #6
Hendrik the Great
Prince

How about this?

The age of viking exploration and expansion into Island, Greenland and North America.
I believe I could make very interesting discovery and colonisation scenario out of this starting around 800 AD with the discovery of Island by the vikings(irish monks were there first though)until the death of the viking colonies in greenland in the 14th/15th century.

Your indonesia idea sounds very good. What kind of map would I need?
Old February 12, 2000, 15:59   #7
Stefan Härtel
King

Yeah, good idea about that Viking thing too, but the Vikings have already been used so often. There are hardly any scens about the discovery and colonizaton of Asia.

What map you need depends on what area you want to focus on. An interesting scenario would be about the struggle for Java between the Dutch and the local Matram empire, which would begin in 1619. You can also try doing a Conquest-of-México-style scenario, which covers the expansion of Matram from its very beginnings to it's fall. I have a very good map I can send over to you. Furthermore, I'm ready to seek out some good internet sites.

------------------
Follow the masses!

-Brian May (Queen)
Old February 12, 2000, 16:03   #8
Stefan Härtel
King

Yeah, good idea about that Viking thing too, but the Vikings have already been used so often. There are hardly any scens about the discovery and colonizaton of Asia.

What map you need depends on what area you want to focus on. An interesting scenario would be about the struggle for Java between the Dutch and the local Matram empire, which would begin in 1619. You can also try doing a Conquest-of-México-style scenario, which covers the expansion of Matram from its very beginnings to it's fall. I have a very good map I can send over to you. Furthermore, I'm ready to seek out some good internet sites.

If you want to cover the whole struggle on Indonesia, which would doubtlessly cover the race between the Netherlands and Portugal (Which would make an interesting Multiplayer game), go to Mercator's Civilization II site, and download Mercator's Spice islands map.
You might also want to scope on the establishement of Islam in Indonesia.
However, the Dutch could never had their activities in the Pacific without their conquests in India. Again, I'd like to notice you about the Dutch-Portugese struggle in India, which ended that Holland took over nearly all Portugese posessions (including Sri Lanka).

------------------
Follow the masses!

-Brian May (Queen)
Old February 12, 2000, 19:02   #9
Hendrik the Great
Prince

Ahh, trying to convince me by stating good things twice Just kidding...

You are getting me interested...
If you could send me that map of yours so I can take a look at it to decide about it.
I really like the Conquest of Mexico style idea for it.
Internet-sites? Tell me, tell me, tell me more! Their adress would be helping a lot.
I do need more info about it so I know what I'm getting meself into. I'm still pending.

BTW, Pharaon turned out really good! I actually played it to the end as the Egyptians. I don't do that often. Usually I get bord somewhere half-way.
Old February 12, 2000, 23:47   #10
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 01:53
I'd like to see a well represented scenario about the Chinese Civil war with the nationalists vs. the communists. (The communists could have a special unit that recruits/bribes other units to join the communist army). There is a nice feature in ToT that would allow you to set the bribe cost low.

For example, you recruit a peasant unit (esentially a settler), and Leo's workshop upgrades it to light infantry. Recruit a village (also a unit) and you get a medium infantry and so on. Bribing nationalist troops would give you information and a free soldier (nationalist upgrades to communist heavy or something).

You could request aid from russia as well. (Through tech tree... such as "Ask for money"). Use the tech tree as a diplomacy tool instead of research. Take the technology back a turn after discovery so the user can get it again.
Old February 13, 2000, 06:57   #11
Hendrik the Great
Prince

I don't really like ToT that much. It's quite nice but did not come up to what I expected. Making a scenario for it? I'm still having problems making a good scenario for FW.

It would probaly make for a good scenario, however, it's not something I want to do right now since it would most likely be a total war scenario. I'd rather want to do something that contains exploration, discovery, colonisation, maybe some research, empire building and diplomacy.

Still your are correct there aren't any really good scenarios about that, yet.
Why don't you make one?
Old February 13, 2000, 11:42   #12
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 01:53
quote:

Bribing nationalist troops would give you information and a free soldier (nationalist upgrades to communist heavy or something).

Actually, that wouldn't be historically accurate. Mao (the Communist Leader of China, not me ) sent out a proclamation that any Nationalist soldier who gave up their arms would be given $100 (not sure about how much money, but they were given money) and a yak (or cow) and be allowed to return home. Most nationalists took the deal because most had been fighting since they were fighting Japan and they were tired of it. So the nationalists didn't join the People's Liberation Army, they just went home. But the PLA did get information from the desserters. You could make the nationalists turn into engineers after they were bribed.

But I don't have ToT! *cry* *cry*
Old February 14, 2000, 21:27   #13
Michael Daumen
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 00:53
Finish the Byzantine scenario!
Old February 15, 2000, 01:00   #14
Hendrik the Great
Prince

Well, I have eight ideas to chose from now.
Varying from around the Birth of Christ to modern times.

I guess I have to do some thinking now...

Which doesn't mean I would not be open for new ideas anymore.

Thanks for those ideas btw!
Old February 15, 2000, 05:30   #15
Hendrik the Great
Prince

I'm working on it! I really am! I just hate all those detail! But I have to do it right or else it wont be no fun.
But I give you my promise. It will be out no matter what before March. I hope.