Old August 27, 2003, 11:29   #1
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 08:54
Local Date: November 2, 2010
How depraved, stupid or uninterested can parents get?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/3185381.stm

Quote:
Police in the United States have arrested a couple who allegedly kept their twin five-year-old sons in cockroach-infested cages for 20 hours a day.
The children from Phoenix, Arizona were only allowed out when their mother Estelvina Rodriguez, 42, got home from work, police believe.

Officers discovered the twins on Saturday after their 20-year-old brother told an off-duty police officer at a local shop about their squalid living conditions.

They arrested the boys parents on suspicion of child abuse and kidnapping - the pair are being held on $243,000 bonds.

Mrs Rodriguez told police her husband Louis, 69, was in poor health and was unable to look after the boys.

Edna White, who has lived next door to the family for 27 years, said the boys were not toilet trained and could not walk.

"They can't talk. When they tried, just noises would come out," she said.

Police found the boys in two cages made of plastic crates, railings and fridge shelves, wired together.

Cockroaches filled the cages which contained a blanket and small mattress smeared with faeces and urine.

The boys, who appeared healthy and well-fed were put in care along with their eight-year-old brother, who freely roamed the house.

"They were happy to see us and opened their arms wide, reaching out to be held and picked up," Sergeant Jacqui MacConnell said.

Social workers had visited the house twice - two years ago - to investigate a complaint of neglect, but found the boys in good health playing outside.

"The mum reported the kids once got outside and were bitten by a dog. She said they kept them caged for their own protection," Sergeant Randy Force said.
When I come across a story like this I remember I am not as cynical as I like to make out. This really should not be happening.
Old August 27, 2003, 11:34   #2
Cruddy
Warlord

I heard this story this morning on the radio.

No matter how long those heartless sh1tbags get, every day they'll get better treatment than they handed out.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old August 27, 2003, 11:43   #3
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:54
IMO, the penalties for such abuses aren't enough... whatever they might be...

I'm leaning closer to supporting a program that requires people to have parenting licenses.
Old August 27, 2003, 12:10   #4
C0ckney
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
I'm leaning closer to supporting a program that requires people to have parenting licenses.
terrible story

crap idea though sava.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old August 27, 2003, 12:12   #5
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

why so? we license people to drive... license people to own guns... wouldn't you say parenting encompasses greater responsibility to the two? And with overpopulation becoming a problem... personally, I don't think it's such a bad idea.
Old August 27, 2003, 12:16   #6
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 03:54
Though I recognize it's not really a viable idea, sometimes I really do feel that some (most?) people shouldn't be allowed to breed.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old August 27, 2003, 12:19   #7
Evil Knevil
Prince

Who the hell are you to license my family? Beyond the constraints of human rights (and abuse) why the flaming fez should you have power over my reproductive rights and my relationships?
Old August 27, 2003, 12:20   #8
C0ckney
King

Quote:
why so? we license people to drive... license people to own guns... wouldn't you say parenting encompasses greater responsibility to the two? And with overpopulation becoming a problem... personally, I don't think it's such a bad idea.
you want to have the government say whether people can have children or not! what next, a license to draw breath?

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old August 27, 2003, 12:21   #9
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Hence the "not viable" comment. It isn't my right, nor is it anyone else's. However, at times (such as when reading stories like these), I feel that there are an awful lot of people out there who should not be having kids.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old August 27, 2003, 13:28   #10
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Local Time: 07:54
"The boys, who appeared healthy and well-fed, were put in care along with their eight-year-old brother, who freely roamed the house. "

They were "in cockroach-infested cages for 20 hours a day" and still appeared healthy and well-fed - this suggests that perhaps the MOST time they could possibly have spent inside the cages is 20 hours. They OBVIOUSLY didn't sleep there.

If you are asleep, cockroaches have a nasty habit of tasting little bits of you until they find something they can nibble at that doesn't flinch - fingers and toes are generally the first things to go, as are noses, ears and lips. They also carry innumerable diseases, which are passed immediately to human hosts upon contact with the roaches' faeces or saliva.

The whole article sounds a bit dodgy to me - I wouldn't be surprised to find that the 'twin brothers' were cats or dogs.
Old August 27, 2003, 13:44   #11
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
How would one ever qualify?

You can practice driving a car, but can you practice being a parent?

Secondly, are you going to go around and make sure people follow the regulations? That would be some job.
Old August 27, 2003, 14:45   #12
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Evil Knevil
Who the hell are you to license my family? Beyond the constraints of human rights (and abuse) why the flaming fez should you have power over my reproductive rights and my relationships?
not me... our representative democratic government... look at China or Africa... when too many people have too many kids, billions suffer... your perceived "right" to procreate is not paramount to the rights of billions to exist...

If you are a responsible person who can provide a child a good life, then you have nothing to worry about. If you're an irresponsible, abusive person who will lock you kids in a cage with cockroaches... sorry, you don't deserve the right to create life.

I don't know how a system would work, or if legislation would be the best way to go about instituting such a policy. It's just an idea I floated. It's far from necessary in America... but in the future, it could become a problem.

Quote:
you want to have the government say whether people can have children or not! what next, a license to draw breath?
only as a last resort to overpopulation...

Quote:
It isn't my right, nor is it anyone else's.
It's government's responsibility to preserve the lives of it's peoples... if overpopulation threatens that, government has whatever right we give it to solve the problem.

Quote:
You can practice driving a car, but can you practice being a parent?
you can practice the "act"...
Old August 27, 2003, 14:50   #13
C0ckney
King

it's almost scary that someone can think it's ever ok to require a license for one of the basic human acts. you REALLY haven't thought this through sava.

Old August 27, 2003, 14:55   #14
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by C0ckney
it's almost scary that someone can think it's ever ok to require a license for one of the basic human acts. you REALLY haven't thought this through sava.
not at all... in fact, I think it's you who haven't yet thought about such a crisis such as overpopulation or how it should be handled... unless of course you like watching children starving to death...

Having a kid isn't a right, BTW... it's a responsibility... that's why there are laws against child abuse and why children in abusive homes are put in state care.
Old August 27, 2003, 14:55   #15
C0ckney
King

seriously. can you imagine sava's solution to an overloaded sewage system. force people to crap less, it's almost genius!

Old August 27, 2003, 14:56   #16
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by C0ckney
seriously. can you imagine sava's solution to an overloaded sewage system. force people to crap less, it's almost genius!

so people are pieces of ****?
Old August 27, 2003, 19:05   #17
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Quote:
not at all... in fact, I think it's you who haven't yet thought about such a crisis such as overpopulation or how it should be handled... unless of course you like watching children starving to death...
One would think the "solution" to this would be to stop science from keeping people alive longer, as the elderly are not able to give back to society, and are just a "drain", whereas children grow to become the next generation of workers. Or, why not stop the mentally/physically/economically challenged from having children? Surely they are simply a burden on our population..?

Quote:
Having a kid isn't a right, BTW... it's a responsibility... that's why there are laws against child abuse and why children in abusive homes are put in state care.
I don't understand how laws against child abuse means that having children is not a right?
Old August 27, 2003, 19:12   #18
Kuciwalker
Deity

Sava, you killed it.
Old August 27, 2003, 19:27   #19
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:

Jeez! and what if they don't pass? sterilize them and/or take their kids off them?
Old August 27, 2003, 19:30   #20
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 01:54
Quote:
"The mum reported the kids once got outside and were bitten by a dog. She said they kept them caged for their own protection," Sergeant Randy Force said.
The mum really needs to see a psychiatrist during her time in the slammer (and let's all hope it's a long, long time.)
Old August 27, 2003, 19:34   #21
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by mrmitchell

The mum really needs to see a psychiatrist during her time in the slammer (and let's all hope it's a long, long time.)
Maybe she can spend the time studying to resit her Parenting Licence exams?
Old August 28, 2003, 00:44   #22
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by reds4ever
Jeez! and what if they don't pass? sterilize them and/or take their kids off them?
I'm not sure... I'd float a number of ideas depending on the severity of the overpopulation problem... the most drastic measure I would consider would be sterilization at birth and then the use of IV fertilization to people who qualify.

Sorry to burst your family values' bubbles guys... but I'm just speaking the truth. If the human population keeps doubling at the rate it has been, and the population far outgrows societies ability to feed people, such policies could become realities. And you know what? They would be the most moral means of saving the human race from such a disaster. Without such population control measures, billions would starve. But then again, it's more important for billions to starve rather than "infringe" on what your perceived "rights" are, right?
Old August 28, 2003, 02:09   #23
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Quote:
Originally posted by reds4ever

GOD, I sure hope so.
Old August 28, 2003, 03:59   #24
Sikander
King

Local Time: 00:54
Re: How depraved, stupid or uninterested can parents get?
Even worse than this I'm afraid.
Old August 28, 2003, 04:34   #25
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
If the human population keeps doubling at the rate it has been,

That's a big if, Sava. Some forecasts predict declining global population by 2050. Just look at Europe right now.
Old August 28, 2003, 05:20   #26
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Hopefully this will convince all whining teenagers that their parents aren't really as bad as they think.
Old August 28, 2003, 16:09   #27
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Yes, I read in a public service announcement that when teenagers say "I hate you" to their own parents, they REALLy mean "I hate this crummy life you're forcing me to live."

Being a teenager is the pits.
Old August 28, 2003, 16:59   #28
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

The story is a pathetic one, and it makes one want to punish theparents and do something to prevent it happening again.

But licensing reproduction?????
Sorry Sava, but that's inane and insane.

You're confusing the government with society -- two VERY different things.

And BTW, when's the last time the gov't got control of ANYTHING and made the situation better?

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old August 28, 2003, 17:02   #29
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by -Jrabbit

And BTW, when's the last time the gov't got control of ANYTHING and made the situation better?
Yeah -- we should go back to eating contaminated and impure foods by disbanding the FDA.

It made things worse by improving the quality of our foods.
Old August 28, 2003, 17:12   #30
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Sava, antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Last edited by Lefty Scaevola; August 28, 2003 at 18:01.