Old August 29, 2003, 01:03   #31
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:55
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Two companies have been destroyed, a number of people have been indicted ("charged" as you put it), one has been convicted, with more on the way, and 15,000 people who worked for a criminal enterprise are rightly and properly put out of work, with their punishment for their complicity coming in the forms of taking a big hit in the retirement fund.

Everybody involved is getting punished. Why are you complaining?
Old August 29, 2003, 01:17   #32
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 09:55
I love how you claim that Enron employees are accomplices that have been properly punished. Obviously, thy knew all about Enron's scheme, and that's why they trusted the stocks / followed orders that long
Old August 29, 2003, 01:25   #33
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 00:55
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Maybe it's just because he's a Canadian.
Partially, for some reason the Justice department went after Worldcom pretty fast. Maybe our Canadian friend just doesn't have as many friends in high office as Lay does?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 29, 2003, 01:29   #34
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnT
Everybody involved is getting punished. Why are you complaining?
Most of the rank and file didn't know what the upper brass were doing but they're the ones who paid most of the penalty. I don't like that but there's nothing I can do about it either. The thing that really irks me is Lay never had to pay back even 10% of his ill gotten gains and even that figure maybe reduced on appeal.

I don't see the disincentive to commiting crime. Shouldn't the punishment fit the crime and shouldn't he lose all the money he made and then some? I don't think it will happen but I think it would be nice.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 29, 2003, 01:30   #35
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:55
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
I love how you claim that Enron employees are accomplices that have been properly punished. Obviously, thy knew all about Enron's scheme, and that's why they trusted the stocks / followed orders that long
Well, if you unknowingly worked for a mafia Don and the mafia Don was put out of business, then...

It is irrelevant if they knew that they were selling smoke - the fact is, they were selling smoke and they needed to be stopped. Who whined for the secretaries and janitors of Drexel Burnham Lambert, of Prudential-Bache, of Soloman Brothers? Nobody. Why do Enron employees get the soft-hearted treatment when the others did not?
Old August 29, 2003, 01:40   #36
Oerdin
Deity

Part of my big miff is that Eron REQUIRED 100% of all employee retirement funds to be in company stock.

Bush at least fixed that one (at least I think he did) so at least that abuse shouldn't prop up again.
Old August 29, 2003, 01:48   #37
Spiffor

Quote:
Who whined for the secretaries and janitors of Drexel Burnham Lambert, of Prudential-Bache, of Soloman Brothers? Nobody. Why do Enron employees get the soft-hearted treatment when the others did not?
1. Strawman. That's not because other cases didn't go under the spotlight that they were any less bad.

2. I may have whined for them if I knew what you are talking about. That's the first time I read these names.
Old August 29, 2003, 02:10   #38
HershOstropoler
Settler

Local Time: 08:55
Quote:
As mentioned, the first to be convicted was former Enron executive Michael Kopper. Kopper worked closely with Andrew Fastow, the former chief financial officer, who has been indicted on 78 counts of conspiracy. In August 2002, Kopper was convicted to charges of money laundering and wire fraud. He had pled guilty to the charges.
[/q]
A plea with open sentencing. Has he been sentenced? If so, to what?
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old August 29, 2003, 03:36   #39
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:55
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
It depends on what?
Old August 29, 2003, 03:56   #40
Spiffor

NYE:
I think Hersh's point was that corporate fraud was more or less easy to investigate depending on the effort put into the investigation, and the formal rules of the investigation. His point, IIUC, was that the corrupt politicians were those who decided how much effort was put into the investigation, and are those who decide the rules.