Old September 9, 2003, 10:44   #151
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 01:56
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by gwillybj
So I grew accustomed to long games, and I prefer it that way.
That is one of the great things about SMAC: It can be fast and short or slow and long, whichever the player wants it to be.
I agree wholeheartedly.

I'm glad that you can find enjoyment is all aspects of the game. Our curcumstances are different in that I am working and have a young son ( 4 months old today-- yay) meaning my time to play is limited. Finding an hour at a time is all I can usually manage.

Since in single-player, my advantage gets to the point where there is no prospect of defeat by the AI, I choose not to play out those games. This saddens me a little in that I don't get to enjoy the experience of much of the later techs and units.
Old September 11, 2003, 12:26   #152
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 03:56
If only men were more like SMAC...
Old September 11, 2003, 14:23   #153
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 02:56
Quote:
Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
If only men were more like SMAC...
an absolutely Priceless post, especially in that context
Old September 12, 2003, 13:14   #154
Alinestra Covelia
Queen

Upon reviewing blockhead's posts, I think we may have found Mohammed Said Al-sayaff, the Iraqi Information Minister who became famous for his quotes like "I am here to inform you that your are stupid and too far removed from reality - God will roast your stomachs in hell as you commit suicide beneath the gates of Baghdad".
Old September 12, 2003, 14:36   #155
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 09:56
No Comment *giggle*
Old September 16, 2003, 11:39   #156
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 00:56
The thing I hate about Roads is how UGLY they look when they cover your whole land mass, 2/3rd of the whole thinkg turns brown and you cant make out the tiles or improvments at all. The AI is simply addicted to this road building pattern. I on the other hand keep roads to a minimum, just go from base to base in the fastest most efficient web possible. I cover 1/3 or less of my land mass with road tiles, later I lay mag tubes right on top of the original network. Ofcorse that fact that I play with a modified Alpha in which I have doubled all the movment values for units and the fact that I avoid forests helps this work more smothly as units can get on and get off the road without wasting huge amounts of time.

Dose anyone else thing roads look ugly and if so do you let it effect your build pattern?
Old September 17, 2003, 07:00   #157
HeymlicH
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:56
Build more boreholes. You don't see much of that ugly road if there is a borehole in the square.

Old October 1, 2003, 18:26   #158
Net Warrior
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 02:56
Hey guys,
I'm a late comer to this entertaining thread. I'd like to credit blockhead for his original thinking on roads. The resulting discussion was pretty interesting.
Old October 1, 2003, 23:30   #159
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Very good points about the 'outs' of roads. But do like all great defending nations- Scorched Earth.
Old October 2, 2003, 04:21   #160
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

I never had any issues about roads. I find them helpful for unit movement, especially since I never build too big armies.

Roads

People in doubt of roads
Old October 2, 2003, 09:37   #161
Alinestra Covelia
Queen

I find that BASES are a complete waste of time and I don't even build anything from my FIRST COLONY POD if I can help it and you are all STUPID LOSERS AND YOU ARE TOO FAR REMOVED FROM REALITY and I'm going to DISAPPEAR FOREVER NOW after MING BANS ME goodbye.
Old October 2, 2003, 09:47   #162
Ecthy
Emperor

Alinestra =
Old October 2, 2003, 12:33   #163
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba
Very good points about the 'outs' of roads. But do like all great defending nations- Scorched Earth.
EXACTLY-- strategic cutting of roads is a great part of creating killing zones-- I love how the AI will march troop after troop to the same spot to be killed.

AS well the slowed growth from not using roads is a big reason your opponent might be in a position to invade in the first place.

I don't plan for defeat-- ie building a perimeter defense in a base deep in my interior-- I figure if a ground troop can get there to attack I am already dead
Old October 3, 2003, 04:35   #164
Hendrik
Warlord

Wow, amazing to see so many posts in such a short period of time, I only check in on these forums every month or so.

I have played IP games with ChaosTheory and Blockhead, and I can say that he does have a pretty fast strategy with rapid expansion and the PTS... but he doesn't manage his empire very well.

I play with "HenWen" in IP games.
Old October 4, 2003, 06:26   #165
Ecthy
Emperor

Flubber -

I've done the same in Civ3 before, killed off the all powerful Germans as the inferior Babylonians just by landing on shore on some peninsula and bombing all railways to that peninsula... killed off all their panzers and cavalries then next turn. so it works in all games of the genre
Old October 5, 2003, 17:23   #166
CEO Aaron
ACDG3 Morgan
King

For the love of God and all that is holy, someone please lock this moronic thread once and for all.
Old March 30, 2004, 19:28   #167
Alinestra Covelia
Queen

At risk of being accused of unadulterated spam and picking on a moron, I just wanted to ask whether anybody has looked at the thread with this information in it:
Quote:
hi
i want to play MP game with someone, but really MP, not PBEM (i expect to play 1 game at least 3 hours before terminate or something)
i am searching only for ESPECIALY good players - i am the best!

i expect to play only expansion

please contact me at icq# 133725817 or email nejtlustsitlustoch@centrum.cz

i can play anytime

blockhead
I know it's been a while but every time I come back to blockhead's posts I just laugh for hours. Not in a bad way, of course. I thought somebody should get back in touch with our masterful (if shortlived) Polyton newcomer and let him know that we all love him really.
Old March 31, 2004, 01:19   #168
Flubber
Deity

I had a hoot reading this again too. I actually had a bit of fun
Old March 31, 2004, 03:41   #169
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 18:56
Wow, what a funny past this forum has.
Old March 31, 2004, 03:46   #170
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Thanks Allie for reminding us all of the horrors of terminal road-denial

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old March 31, 2004, 12:08   #171
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

you are extremly stupid, unable to play online for no reason and i hate you !

Just want to share the most entertaining quote that I've ever read in this forum.

i'm the bestest!!!

Grapefruit Garden
Old March 31, 2004, 12:10   #172
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 18:56
Old March 31, 2004, 14:50   #173
Ouro_827
Civilization III PBEMAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human Hive
Prince

Local Time: 22:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Although, preparing to be shot, I, excepting my first three or so games, and my last five or so... have never played with crawlers! Roads... I'm not that brave.... I'm usually running lots of patrols around, and need the fastest response, because I'm almost always ambushed by the computers.... usually by copters or needlejets in late game, or a set of impact troopers early.... Although I was amazed when I city that was settled in worthless territory.. (early game settling, arid all around, a little fungus, and some decent 2000+ elevation) that pumped out 6-8 crawlers, in addition to satellites, began producing 170+ minerals a turn..... That game I ended up, minus the 5-10 thousand I gave away to try to prevent a crash, with about 80 thousand energy...
Old March 31, 2004, 16:57   #174
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Why not try and corner the market?

-Jam
Old March 31, 2004, 17:43   #175
Commy
King

WHY CORNER THE MARKET??

Yeah, you win, but, well, the AI still has all its money. It doesn't even do anything about it. Does it even know you are about to win!! I have let the AI win 6 times to see how it did it. Each time, it was by high score, no amazing conquest or diplomatic, and this was on Transcend!!! Multiplayer is much better, too bad it ties up the phone line. I mean, what do I do if I have to eat or pee or something like that??
Old March 31, 2004, 17:58   #176
Jamski
Deity

Just post the turn and wait a couple of days. I normally fit in a couple of meals and pee once or twice in that time...

-Jam
Old April 2, 2004, 12:50   #177
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Local Time: 08:56
ask for a 10minute break so the others can do the same ?
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old April 2, 2004, 15:06   #178
Ouro_827
Civilization III PBEMAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human Hive
Prince

Local Time: 22:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Yes, I could try and corner the market... thing was, I was making around five thousand or so a turn, at least, and my most mineraled base was nearly two hundred... Voice was being built, and then Ascent would take a max of seven to nine turns... cornering takes twenty, and the computer was demanding fourty-five to fifty thousand for a corner... which means I had only had enough for a couple turns... That was Counciousness, running Democratic/Green(I think)/Power/Eudamonic
I had been running Democratic/Green/Knowledge/Cybernetic, but found I could actually make more and take less time by switching to the other way... don't know what.. everything pretty much was clean...Had obliderated Peacekeepers, Believers, Spartans, and another, and had hit up the Gaians bad... declared war on last turn before winning to take some SPs that I didn't care too much for at the time....
Old April 2, 2004, 19:35   #179
Santiago_Claus
Warlord

Who's winning?

And why is "Set Waypoint" thru fungus considered a "cheat"?
Old April 2, 2004, 20:01   #180
Jamski
Deity

It upgrades units instantly to demon boil, as long as you set at least 3 waypoints.

-Jam