Emperor

Local Time: 09:57
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Romanian ex-spy accuses the Russians of assisting to hide Iraqi WMD
http://www.washtimes.com/op-ed/20030...1256-6822r.htm

Quote:
Ex-spy fingers Russians on WMD

By Ion Mihai Pacepa

On March 20, Russian PresidentVladimir Putin denounced the U.S.-led "aggression" against Iraq as "unwarranted" and "unjustifiable." Three days later, Pravda said that an anonymous Russian "military expert" was predicting that the United States would fabricate finding Iraqi weapons of mass destruction. Russian Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov immediately started plying the idea abroad, and it has taken hold around the world ever since.

As a former Romanian spy chief who used to take orders from the Soviet KGB, it is perfectly obvious to me that Russia is behind the evanescence of Saddam Hussein's weapons of mass destruction. After all, Russia helped Saddam get his hands on them in the first place. The Soviet Union and all its bloc states always had a standard operating procedure for deep sixing weapons of mass destruction — in Romanian it was codenamed "Sarindar, meaning "emergency exit."Iimplemented it in Libya. It was for ridding Third World despots of all trace of their chemical weapons if the Western imperialists ever got near them. We wanted to make sure they would never be traced back to us, and we also wanted to frustrate the West by not giving them anything they could make propaganda with.

All chemical weapons were to be immediately burned or buried deep at sea. Technological documentation, however, would be preserved in microfiche buried in waterproof containers for future reconstruction. Chemical weapons, especially those produced in Third Worldcountries,which lack sophisticated production facilities, often do not retainlethal properties after a few months on the shelf and are routinely dumped anyway. And all chemical weapons plants had a civilian cover making detection difficult, regardless of the circumstances.

The plan included an elaborate propaganda routine. Anyone accusing Moammar Gadhafi of possessing chemical weapons would be ridiculed. Lies, all lies! Come to Libya and see! Our Western left-wing organizations, like the World Peace Council, existed for sole purpose of spreading the propaganda we gave them. These very same groups bray the exact same themes to this day. We always relied on their expertise at organizing large street demonstrations in Western Europe over America'swar-mongering whenever we wanted to distract world attention from the crimes of the vicious regimes we sponsored.

Iraq, in my view, had its own "Sarindar" plan in effect direct from Moscow. It certainly had one in the past. Nicolae Ceausescu told me so, and he heard it from Leonid Brezhnev. KGB chairman Yury Andropov, and later, Gen. Yevgeny Primakov, told me so too. In the late 1970s, Gen. Primakov ran Saddam's weapons programs. After that, as you may recall, he was promoted to head of the Soviet foreign intelligence service in 1990, to Russia's minister of foreign affairs in 1996, and in 1998, to prime minister. What you may not know is that Primakov hates Israel and has always championed Arab radicalism. He was a personal friend of Saddam's and has repeatedly visited Baghdad after 1991, quietly helping Saddam play his game of hide-and-seek.

The Soviet bloc not only sold Saddam its WMDs, but it showed them how to make them "disappear." Russia is still at it. Primakov was in Baghdad from December until a couple of days before the war, along with a team of Russian military experts led by two of Russia's topnotch "retired"generals,Vladislav Achalov, a former deputy defense minister, and Igor Maltsev, a former air defense chief of staff. They were all there receiving honorary medals from the Iraqi defense minister. They clearly were not there to give Saddam military advice for the upcomingwar—Saddam'sKatyusha launchers were of World War II vintage, and his T-72 tanks, BMP-1 fighting vehicles and MiG fighter planes were all obviously useless against America. "I did not fly to Baghdad to drink coffee," was what Gen. Achalov told the media afterward. They were there orchestrating Iraq's "Sarindar" plan.

The U.S. military in fact, has already found the only thing that would have been allowed to survive under the classic Soviet "Sarindar" plan to liquidate weapons arsenals in the event of defeat in war — the technological documents showing how to reproduce weapons stocks in just a few weeks.

Such a plan has undoubtedly been in place since August 1995 — when Saddam's son-in-law, Gen. Hussein Kamel, who ran Iraq's nuclear, chemical and biological programs for 10 years, defected to Jordan. That August, UNSCOM and International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) inspectors searched a chicken farm owned by Kamel's family and found more than one hundred metal trunks and boxes containing documentation dealing with all categories of weapons, including nuclear. Caught red-handed, Iraq at last admitted to its "extensive biological warfare program, including weaponization," issued a "Full, Final and Complete Disclosure Report" and turned over documents about the nerve agent VX and nuclear weapons.

Saddam then lured Gen. Kamel back, pretending to pardon his defection. Three days later, Kamel and over 40 relatives, including women and children, were murdered, in what the official Iraqi press described as a "spontaneous administration of tribal justice." After sending that message to his cowed, miserable people, Saddam then made a show of cooperation with U.N. inspection, since Kamel had just compromised all his programs anyway. In November 1995, he issued a second "Full, Final and Complete Disclosure" as to his supposedly non-existent missile programs. That very same month, Jordan intercepted a large shipment of high-grade missile components destined for Iraq. UNSCOM soon fished similar missile components out of the Tigris River, again refuting Saddam's spluttering denials. In June 1996, Saddam slammed the door shut to UNSCOM's inspection of any "concealment mechanisms." On Aug. 5, 1998, halted cooperation with UNSCOM and the IAEA completely, and they withdrew on Dec. 16, 1998. Saddam had another four years to develop and hide his weapons of mass destruction without any annoying, prying eyes. U.N. Security Council resolutions 1115, (June 21, 1997), 1137 (Nov. 12, 1997), and 1194 (Sept. 9, 1998) were issued condemning Iraq—ineffectual words that had no effect. In 2002, under the pressure of a huge U.S. military buildup by a new U.S. administration, Saddam made yet another "Full, Final and Complete Disclosure," which was found to contain "false statements" and to constitute another "material breach" of U.N. and IAEA inspection and of paragraphs eight to 13 of resolution 687 (1991).

It was just a few days after this last "Disclosure," after a decade of intervening with the U.N. and the rest of the world on Iraq's behalf, that Gen. Primakov and his team of military experts landed in Baghdad — even though, with 200,000 U.S. troops at the border, war was imminent, and Moscow could no longer save Saddam Hussein. Gen. Primakov was undoubtedly cleaning up the loose ends of the "Sarindar" plan and assuring Saddam that Moscow would rebuild his weapons of mass destruction after the storm subsided for a good price.

Mr. Putin likes to take shots at America and wants to reassert Russia in world affairs. Why would he not take advantage of this opportunity? As minister of foreign affairs and prime minister, Gen. Primakov has authored the "multipolarity" strategy of counterbalancing American leadership by elevating Russia to great-powerstatusinEurasia. Between Feb. 9-12, Mr. Putin visited Germany and France to propose a three-power tactical alignment against the United States to advocate further inspections rather than war. On Feb. 21, the Russian Duma appealed to the German and French parliaments to join them on March 4-7 in Baghdad, for "preventing U.S. military aggression against Iraq." Crowds of European leftists, steeped for generations in left-wing propaganda straight out of Moscow, continue to find the line appealing.

Mr. Putin's tactics have worked. The United States won a brilliant military victory, demolishing a dictatorship without destroying the country, but it has begun losing the peace. While American troops unveiled the mass graves of Saddam's victims, anti-American forces in Western Europe and elsewhere, spewed out vitriolic attacks, accusing Washington of greed for oil and not of really caring about weapons of mass destruction, or exaggerating their risks, as if weapons of mass destruction were really nothing very much to worry about after all.

It is worth remembering that Andrei Sakharov, the father of the Soviet hydrogen bomb, chose to live in a Soviet gulag instead of continuing to develop the power of death. "I wanted to alert the world," Sakharov explained in 1968, "to the grave perils threatening the human race thermonuclear extinction, ecological catastrophe, famine." Even Igor Kurchatov, the KGB academician who headed the Soviet nuclear program from 1943 until his death in 1960, expressed deep qualms of conscience about helping to create weapons of mass destruction. "The rate of growth of atomic explosives is such," he warned in an article written together with several other Soviet nuclear scientists not long before he died, "that in just a few years the stockpile will be large enough to create conditions under which the existence of life on earth will be impossible."

The Cold War was fought over the reluctance to use weapons of mass destruction, yet now this logic is something only senior citizens seem to recall. Today, even lunatic regimes like that in North Korea not only possess weapons of mass destruction, but openly offer to sell them to anyone with cash, including terrorists and their state sponsors. Is anyone paying any attention? Being inured to proliferation, however, does not reduce its danger. On the contrary, it increases it.

Ion Mihai Pacepa, a Romanian, is the highest-ranking intelligence officer ever to have defected from the former Soviet bloc.
Old August 28, 2003, 11:37   #2
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 02:57
Well, knock me over with a feather.

True, I have no doubt.
The exact reason Russia and France didn't want anyone straightening out Hussein, as I said all along, is because they both had their dirty little fingers in a banned pie.
Old August 28, 2003, 11:45   #3
MikeH
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-League
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 08:57
You have no doubt it's true based on the word of a professional liar?

And how on earth did you get France into this?

Scary.

We've got both kinds
Old August 28, 2003, 11:47   #4
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 03:57
Washington Times. Consider the source.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old August 28, 2003, 11:51   #5
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 15:57
"After all, Russia helped Saddam get his hands on them in the first place."

Last time I checked, Cheney used to work for the US.
Old August 28, 2003, 11:55   #6
MikeH
staff
OTF Moderator

We've got both kinds
Old August 28, 2003, 11:56   #7
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:57
ahh yes... trusting a Romanian spy...
Old August 28, 2003, 11:59   #8
Defiant
King

Local Time: 07:57
I have no doubt Russia was involved, hell we shot up one of their convoys leaving Iraq. Strenghtens my point that the UN is a joke, everybody is in it for themselves, not what is morally, ethically or legally right.
France, Germany and China all has contracts with Iraq, either for technology or oil.
This is why it is imperative that the USA has a hands on view in the ME, presence.

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell
Old August 28, 2003, 12:00   #9
MikeH
staff
OTF Moderator

They are all out for themselves, including the US.

Very true.

We've got both kinds
Old August 28, 2003, 12:06   #10
Defiant
King

Of course the USA, I have no misconceptions about it, that's what makes the UN an international joke.

Old August 28, 2003, 12:09   #11
MikeH
staff
OTF Moderator

That'll be why Bush is going back to them begging for money and troops from other countries to help out in Iraq.

We've got both kinds
Old August 28, 2003, 12:17   #12
Defiant
King

I don't want foreign troops there, my solution is we train the Iraqi military to patrol their own streets, keep our boys out of harm's way. We sit back and make sure their military is being effective and manage by exception, something too big for them, we will then come in. It is my understanding this is what we did with Japan and Germany, should work here.

As for money, I am for taking 10% off the top of their oil to just pay for the war effort, no reason the people of the USA should take the full financial cost.

Old August 28, 2003, 12:19   #13
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 00:57
I thought the article was interesting and I really don't see why a guy who's been out of the government for 10+ years would have any reason to lie. Mostly he's talking about things which happened in the 1970's which is nice to know but has little barring on the 1990's or 2000's. Still, and interesting article.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 28, 2003, 12:22   #14
Defiant
King

I believe it might show a behavior pattern by Russia, why disbelieve it?

Old August 28, 2003, 12:28   #15
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
"After all, Russia helped Saddam get his hands on them in the first place."

Last time I checked, Cheney used to work for the US.
Last time I checked, you had no proof that Cheney supplied Iraq with nuclear weapons other than... commie leaflets written by KGB people

This guy is a deserter from a former communist regime, and knows how things got (and still get) done
Old August 28, 2003, 12:28   #16
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 14:57
Russia!
Putin!
KGB
Old August 28, 2003, 12:31   #17
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
You have no doubt it's true based on the word of a professional liar?
Since when are intelligence agents liars?

Only those involved in active measures operations (ie deceptions).

And then they usually don't admit themselves to be spies...
Old August 28, 2003, 12:33   #18
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 14:57
Quote:
Originally posted by Defiant
I have no doubt Russia was involved, hell we shot up one of their convoys leaving Iraq. Strenghtens my point that the UN is a joke, everybody is in it for themselves, not what is morally, ethically or legally right.
France, Germany and China all has contracts with Iraq, either for technology or oil.
This is why it is imperative that the USA has a hands on view in the ME, presence.
You shot the Russian ambassador in Iraq. Your military was warned about the time and about the route of diplomatic convoy. Your f*****s shoot wounded two diplomats, one badly and now you’re making such statements.
Old August 28, 2003, 12:35   #19
Defiant
King

You knew we were coming, get your ruskie asses out of Iraq. And there is no such thing is innocent diplomats from Russia.

Old August 28, 2003, 12:55   #20
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Can you show me on a map where Russia borders Iraq so that they could sneak those WMDs over the border?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old August 28, 2003, 13:02   #21
Defiant
King

Geee, they couldn't go threw Iran, or maybe ship it, or the newest way to travel, flight.

Old August 28, 2003, 13:03   #22
The Andy-Man
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
Can you show me on a map where Russia borders Iraq so that they could sneak those WMDs over the border?
I am sure the former part of the US the now has the Baku region (for get the name of it) would let em thorugh....
Old August 28, 2003, 13:03   #23
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sirotnikov
Last time I checked, you had no proof that Cheney supplied Iraq with nuclear weapons other than... commie leaflets written by KGB people

This guy is a deserter from a former communist regime, and knows how things got (and still get) done
The whole "Iraq got their WMD from the US" has become an article of faith for the far left. Facts (more correctly the lack of them) no longer matter to these people. You can try to show them the truth but it is up to them to accept it.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 28, 2003, 13:04   #24
C0ckney
King

i'm sure that the SU, at no time, bordered iraq...

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old August 28, 2003, 13:05   #25
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Geee, they couldn't go threw Iran, or maybe ship it, or the newest way to travel, flight.
Since Iran and Iraq are hated enemies, what makes you think they'd help Hussein hide anything?

As for flying, exactly how many planes flew out of Iraq that weren't British or American war planes?

Confused is a very good look for you.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old August 28, 2003, 13:06   #26
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Andy-Man

I am sure the former part of the US the now has the Baku region (for get the name of it) would let em thorugh....
Azerbaijan, and it does not share a border with Iraq.
Old August 28, 2003, 13:08   #27
Oerdin
Deity

Che: We're talking about the 1970's so there was no navel blockade. All you have to do is load them on a ship in the USSR then send the ship to Iraq where Saddam's men are waiting. That's it.
Old August 28, 2003, 13:08   #28
Defiant
King

Sure, Russia couldn't convince Iran to let them travel through their country, they are only helping them build nuclear power plants.
You didn't mention anything why against the ship route, and as for flying, why would the British or US shoot down a Russian plane heading to Baghdad International?

Old August 28, 2003, 13:10   #29
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin

The whole "Iraq got their WMD from the US" has become an article of faith for the far left. Facts (more correctly the lack of them) no longer matter to these people. You can try to show them the truth but it is up to them to accept it.
That's because it contains a kernal of truth. They didn't get the chemicals themselves, but they did get: equipment that could be used to make biological weapons, weaponized anthrax, equipment that could be used to make chemical weapons. We helped enable Hussein to make these weapons, but we live in the sound bite age, so you have to fudge a little. Anyway, it's not as big a lie as saying that Iraq could attack Britain within 45 minutes or that they'd ben trying to buy uranium now, is it?
Old August 28, 2003, 13:15   #30
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Sure, Russia couldn't convince Iran to let them travel through their country, they are only helping them build nuclear power plants.
You didn't mention anything why against the ship route, and as for flying, why would the British or US shoot down a Russian plane heading to Baghdad International?
Mmmm, the ship route, you mean the one guarded by the U.S. Navy?

Why would the U.S. shoot down a Russian plane headed to Saddam International? Because it was a warzone and no planes other than allied planes were allowed to fly over Iraq? Why do you think that everyone entering and leaving the country had to drive!?! I highly doubt there were any Russian plans in Iraq's airspace at all.

Just because Russia is helping build Iran's nuke plants doesn't mean that they are going to help out the man who killed 600,000 Iranians as well as used some of those very weapons against them. Yes, I could see that happening . . . NOT! Iran is no one puppet and wil tell outsiders to shove it, regardless of the cost to them.