Old August 28, 2003, 17:03   #1
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Local Time: 09:57
Local Date: November 2, 2010
harmless planet busters
I have hust finished another transcend-ironman game where I got little bored, so I mass produced quantum and later singularity planet busters. As the next thing I repeled the UN charter and than launched a mass nuke attack against my most dangerous enemy. After five turns and some 30 nuclear explosions later I checked my bases for ecological damage and it was still zero (except in three bases, but they were allready high-producing) instead being higer for about 150 units. And I really hoped for massive mindworm invasion.
Also the enemy continent was just a bunch of atols now . As I remember in some earlier games just after using several nukes ecological damage would suddenly skyrocket, as it is supposed to be, but it wasn`t so important because all factions would be wiped in a year or two. But now I remembered that I didn`t repel the UN Charter in that cases so I can only conclude that atrocities add to ecological damage only if the UN Charter is in power. Can anyone reply if he has encountered this because this is stupid (since when does ecological damage depend on global politics)?
Old August 28, 2003, 18:20   #2
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 07:57
Yep. Atrocities add to eco damage. When UN charter is repealed no atrocoties thus no eco damage from playing with the gloves off.

Doesn't have to make sense. It just is.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old August 31, 2003, 09:47   #3
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 03:57
That surprises me.

I was pretty sure that even if you repeal the UN Charter, ecodamage occurs. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the only real benefit of repealing the UN Charter was to make sure that you didn't get six factions all declaring war on you and cutting you off from their Commerce.
Old September 1, 2003, 03:40   #4
TheRedmenace
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Chieftain

If it makes you feel better, the nukes still can cause global warming OR nuclear winter. In a game I played with my brother H'Minee had made an alliance with Svensgaard, and we had to fight an uphill battle to undo their vast territories. I resorted at one point to a few nukes, and sure enough, the water levels began to rise.

I imagine that made Svensgaard happier than I intended
Old September 1, 2003, 04:06   #5
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 23:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
That's always been one of the things that made me laugh about SMAC. As long as the humans have agreed atrocities are ok, the planet doesn't mind either .
Old September 1, 2003, 07:53   #6
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 17:57
I always thought there should be fewer penalties for atrocities.
Old September 1, 2003, 21:18   #7
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Allie et.al.

Eco dmage IIRC exists from too many mins but not necessarily from terracts (i.e. atrocities).

OTOH its been quite a while since I delved into it but I beleive the UN charter recall saves all from planet reprisals due to atrocity, downside still exists tho' that you can never force a victim into submission pacts.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter