Old August 29, 2003, 15:57   #1
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 07:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010
EU full of Picky Eaters
EU's Beef

BRUSSELS, Belgium - The European Union issued a list Thursday of 41 wines, cheeses and other products it wants protected by a global trade pact, accusing other countries of abusing the names of its delicacies.

Under the proposal -- which is resisted by the United States, Canada and others -- products labeled as Champagne, Parma ham, Roquefort cheese or any of the other names on the list will have to come from their traditional European regions.

``Abuses in other countries undermine the reputation of EU products and create confusion for consumers,'' the EU's trade commissioner, Pascal Lamy, said. ``We want this to cease for the most usurped products.''

In world trade talks in Cancun, Mexico, next month, the EU wants to create a global register of such geographically defined products that would ban producers from outside the traditional region for using such names.

Its list includes Beaujolais, Chianti, Madeira and other wines; feta, Gorgonzola, Roquefort and other cheeses; and Parma ham and mortadella sausages. In some countries, these names are claimed to be generic or have been registered as trademarks by local producers.

``This is a short list of 41 products whose names are being abused and parroted'' by non-EU producers, said EU spokesman Gregor Kreuzhuber.

He added that the EU planned to seek protection at a later stage for 600 more ``regional quality products.'' On top of that, it awaits submissions of products peculiar to Cyprus, Malta and eight East European nations that will join the EU in May.

The EU is not alone. India is keen to protect Darjeeling tea, Sri Lanka its Ceylon tea, Guatemala its Antigua coffee and Switzerland its Etivaz cheese.

The EU has run into opposition from the United States and some Latin American nations that argue that in many cases, products such as sherry or Parmesan cheese were introduced by European immigrants and have been made in their new countries for generations.

``This is not about protectionism. It is about fairness,'' EU Agriculture Commissioner Franz Fischler said in a statement. ``It is simply not acceptable that the EU cannot sell its genuine Italian Parma ham in Canada because the trademark `Parma ham' is reserved for a ham produced in Canada.''

He said geographical indicators are a quality guarantee and avoid confusion among consumers.

In recent bilateral trade agreements, the EU has stood firm in protecting its labels, forcing South Africa to phase out its use of the port and sherry labels, and demanding Chilean wine makers stop using the Champagne or Burgundy brands.

Under a liquor trade agreement in the early 1990s, the United States agreed not to use labels such as Scotch whiskey or Cognac, while the EU said bourbon or Tennessee whiskey should remain exclusive American products.

However, the issue of geographic labeling is touchy, even within the EU.

Denmark has been fighting a seven-year legal battle over Greece's claims to exclusive rights over the name ``feta'' for its salty white cheese.

----

I think the EU is taking things too far, or at least not picking their battles well... What do you think?
Old August 29, 2003, 16:00   #2
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 09:59
What battles should we pick then?
Old August 29, 2003, 16:01   #3
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 02:59
Stupidity never ceases to amaze me.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old August 29, 2003, 16:10   #4
Japher
Emperor

I would rather see the EU suggest increasing tarrifs or set greater limits on foreign chains being opened domestically if all the want to do is protect their "nationalism" than to argue over petty things such as words.

"No it is not a Beligum Waffle if it is made at IHOP in Lodi!"

What does the EU think? That everyone on this planet is a bunch of idiots!? [sarcasm]Wow, I found some French Brie that was made in Texas!!![/sarcasm]

All it is another attempt of the EU to boost their economy while hurting ours... Do you know how much it costs to instigate the changes they are asking US/us to do?

I can understand the Gen Food, but come on...
Old August 29, 2003, 16:10   #5
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 03:59
Quote:
``Abuses in other countries undermine the reputation of EU products and create confusion for consumers,'' the EU's trade commissioner, Pascal Lamy, said. ``We want this to cease for the most usurped products.''
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old August 29, 2003, 16:11   #6
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Things like this make me lose faith in humanity
Old August 29, 2003, 16:14   #7
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Quote:
``This is not about protectionism. It is about fairness,'' EU Agriculture Commissioner Franz Fischler said in a statement. ``It is simply not acceptable that the EU cannot sell its genuine Italian Parma ham in Canada because the trademark `Parma ham' is reserved for a ham produced in Canada.''
Japher: You really see nothing wrong with this. Parma ham can off course only come from Parma. It is ridiculous that Parma Ham should be a registered trademark in Canada. The same goes with other products. This is not about protectionism. This is about quality. And we will win this one.

Asmodean
Old August 29, 2003, 16:15   #8
Combat Ingrid
Prince

Local Time: 16:59
You don't understand. These are very important issues
Old August 29, 2003, 16:19   #9
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

I don't think it will make any difference with consumers. Danish havarti from Denmark still commands a higher price. It's not like people can't read to see where it's from. And supermarkets put them in a special section anyway.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old August 29, 2003, 16:25   #10
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Asmodean
This is not about protectionism. This is about quality. And we will win this one.
Of course it is. Why else would Greece be fighting Denmark for control over what slty cheese can be called?
Old August 29, 2003, 16:27   #11
Japher
Emperor

I don't even know what Parma Ham is, and I hardly ever see Champagne used on American "Sparkling Wines"... I think if the only problem were that someone trademarked a type of food product and that they have a right to call their product that then fine, but to say that no one else can call it what they call it is silly... Canadians never whine about Americans making Candian Bacon, Germans never complain that we call some sausage German Sausage... etc... Basically, I see it as they want to trademark common words and that is dumb and won't fly. Also, it really makes people look stupid...

I agree with DanS: Look at Caviar...

EU Secretary: "Uh, thousands of people are dying in Europe because our hospitals suck and no one knows how to avoid the heat. What should we do?"

EU Boss: "Let's blame the U.S.!"

EU Secretary: "How are we going to do that?"

EU Boss: "Well they didn't sign the Kyoto thingymajig so we all gave up on that. We'll say that is because they wouldn't back it that caused the heat wave that killed everyone."

EU Secretary: "That's an excellent idea, sir. What about the poor hospitals then?"

EU Boss: "We'll say it has something to do with the high cost of American drugs."

EU Secretary: "Excellent. And our total lack of public service education that caused those people to die?"

EU Boss: "Uh, they have been eating to many foods from the U.S. that isn't really from where it says it is from in the bold print!"

EU Secretary: "Excelent!"

EU Boss: "Ass you can see the U.S. is responsible for everything. From our low production values to the Weather..."
Old August 29, 2003, 16:31   #12
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
Basically, I see it as they want to trademark common words and that is dumb and won't fly.
Old August 29, 2003, 16:34   #13
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 08:59
The worst case of label fraud is of course calling a brand of American beer Budweiser. The only true Budweiser comes of course from Ceske Budeovice (Budweis) in the Czech Republic and is actually beer and not bottled piss like the American fake.
Old August 29, 2003, 16:41   #14
Asmodean
Emperor

In the case of Champagne: No other wine in Europe may call itself Champagne. Why should overseas ones be allowed to.

In the case of Parma Ham. No other ham in Europe may call itself Parma Ham. Why etc.

These products are for the most part products of a very high quality. A quality that is known worldwide. It is confusing for the average consumer, that these names "brandnames" as they are, can be used indiscriminately be whatever producer registeres the trademark first, when the names have been used for decades, even centuries in Europe.

I'm sorry, but it really makes Americans look stupid, that they can not see why Europe cares about this.

By the way: Disney has just won a lawsuit against the descendants of a Danish children's book author. App. 40 years ago, this guy, Ole Lund Kirkegaard, wrote a novel called "Gummi Tarzan". In translation, this means "Rubber Tarzan". Since then this book has become part of Danish cultural heritage. It's a book that all danes know, and everybody have read it as a child. Now Disney owns the name Tarzan, and have just won a lawsuit against the family of Mr. Kirkegaard. Basically the name of the book has to change, or else...

So you see...you guys can do it to. In my book this is anexample of just the opposite. Now who's looking stupid?

Asmodean
Old August 29, 2003, 16:44   #15
Nubclear

Why don't the Danish courts tell Disney where to go and how to get there?

Really, things like this are silly.
Old August 29, 2003, 16:44   #16
Japher
Emperor

Well, that's just as dumb, and everyone knows that Disney and those who run it are really the spawn of Satan(TM)...
Old August 29, 2003, 16:46   #17
Asmodean
Emperor

Quote:
Satan(TM)...

Asmodean
Old August 29, 2003, 16:51   #18
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

This all started with the French trying to protect the use of the description "Champagne" and then the Greeks with "Feta". Blame the French and the Greeks!

*throws bomb, runs and hides*
Old August 29, 2003, 16:55   #19
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
In the case of Champagne: No other wine in Europe may call itself Champagne. Why should overseas ones be allowed to.
Why should you be able to tell us we can't?
Old August 29, 2003, 16:58   #20
Asmodean
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker

Why should you be able to tell us we can't?
Okay. Tomorrow I'm going to start a burger restaurant. I think I'll call one of my burgers "Big Mac". Let's see if some Americans are going to tell me that I can't do that.

Asmodean
Old August 29, 2003, 17:04   #21
Kuciwalker
Deity

Let's see if it violates international copyright laws. If so, you can't do it.

I don't see how using the traditional name for a product violates copyright laws, though.
Old August 29, 2003, 17:05   #22
Japher
Emperor

Asmoden:

1) That would be a private matter between you and McDonalds. Certainly the American government wouldn't try and sue you or force you to change the name.

2) It would be more like you naming it "Hamburger" instead of "Big Mac" and then having McDonalds sue you becuase you called it what it is...
Old August 29, 2003, 17:12   #23
Chemical Ollie
King

The issues I wanted to discuss, like Danish feta and American Budweiser (both are fake) have already been discussed, and I have nothing to add. So I give you some other invaluable information:

Some local politicians wanted to name my region "The Absolut Valley" (all Absolut Vodka is made 22 km = 15 miles from where I sit). They lost the vote in the regional parliament.
Old August 29, 2003, 17:13   #24
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Quote:
2) It would be more like you naming it "Hamburger" instead of "Big Mac" and then having McDonalds sue you becuase you called it what it is...
Or the city of Hamburg sues McDonalds for continuously trashing its name with something which should be called Fatburger.
Old August 29, 2003, 17:13   #25
Chemical Ollie
King

There's no ham in a hamburger, and it does not come from Hamburg...
Old August 29, 2003, 17:16   #26
Asmodean
Emperor

I know, Japher, I know. It's just that.....I don't know. What so bad about this? I mean....it would work the other way around too.

Sometimes I think that because you are so young a nation, you Americans have so little history (this is not meant as bashing, this is really my theory) that you feel the need to take some of ours. So it's easy to take a household name from Europe, make an American product, and market it under the European name.

You have no real sense of the dedication and emotion that goes into making a product that has been made for centuries at the exact same spot where you are making it, by people exactly like you (in some cases even your own family). So please understand European manufacturers if they feel offended that people 4000 miles away claim to be making the same product.

For decades there has been only 1 kind of Champagne: The one from Champagne. Why should there be more. For centuries there has been only 1 kind Parma Ham. The one from Parma. Why confuse it?

Asmodean
Old August 29, 2003, 17:20   #27
The Templar
Prince

Quote:

Okay. Tomorrow I'm going to start a burger restaurant. I think I'll call one of my burgers "Big Mac". Let's see if some Americans are going to tell me that I can't do that.

Asmodean
Exactly. Let the Canadians call it Parma-style ham.
Old August 29, 2003, 17:23   #28
Chemical Ollie
King

Can anyone recall if the Russian Smirnoff family actually got any money from their relatives in America? I know there was a lawsuit, but I can't remember the outcome.
Old August 29, 2003, 17:24   #29
Japher
Emperor

Asmoden: I agree completely with you address...

The point I started making, and then got side tracked, is that America is getting picked on and blamed for everyone's problems... IMO The EU wants us to stop using these names not because it is "wrong" but because it hurts their pocket book... What the EU should do is market their products better (which is Americas Forte, and the real complaint), educate the public that they are so afraid are being "tricked" by the manufacturers, and actually fix the problem themselves; not ask the US to do it for them... make sense?

Also,

Quote:
You have no real sense of the dedication and emotion that goes into making a product that has been made for centuries at the exact same spot where you are making it, by people exactly like you (in some cases even your own family). So please understand European manufacturers if they feel offended that people 4000 miles away claim to be making the same product.
They don't claim that is that product. Besides, many of the people who started making "similar" products here were from there and brought with them the knowledge and desire to have a little bit of home with them.

And please don't tell us Americans what we do and don't have a "real sense" of or "understand" anymore, it's a stupid argument that holds no weight and I am tired of hearing Old Europe keep telling us this... We are like an ignorant teenager, but did you ever listen? Doubt it, and the more that you continue to say stuff like that the more it hurts...
Old August 29, 2003, 17:24   #30
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 00:59
Quote:
Under the proposal -- which is resisted by the United States, Canada and others -- products labeled as Champagne, Parma ham, Roquefort cheese or any of the other names on the list will have to come from their traditional European regions.
They can eat **** and die. It has been shown that many of these goods have been locally produced and sold under those names for 200 years. Sorry EU but in order to enforce copy rights you need continous enforcement and you are now several centuries to late.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.