Old August 29, 2003, 17:27   #31
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 09:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Why not call it Hiawatha ham or whatever?
Old August 29, 2003, 17:28   #32
Rogan Josh
Prince

Local Time: 08:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
There's no ham in a hamburger, and it does not come from Hamburg...
Yes it was. The Hamburger is named after the town of Hamburg....in the US. (they even steal our town names!)

I think this is fair enough. If I go into a supermarket and see 'Parma Ham' written on a packet I bloody well expect it to be Parma Ham! If it is not then the manufacturers are unfairly trading on the reputation of a completely different product, which they do not own.
Old August 29, 2003, 17:30   #33
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Quote:
And please don't tell us Americans what we do and don't have a "real sense" of or "understand" anymore, it's a stupid argument that holds no weight and I am tired of hearing Old Europe keep telling us this... We are like an ignorant teenager, but did you ever listen? Doubt it, and the more that you continue to say stuff like that the more it hurts...
Sure. But please understand that I meant no offence

Asmodean
Old August 29, 2003, 17:37   #34
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 07:59
No, I know you didn't, but I am getting tired of hearing it. I don't say "You Europeans are just too old and don't understand what American Nationality is..." because it adds nothing to the argument, and if I keep saying it, and it bugs you a little at first, I am sure it will eventually drive you nuts...

So. What if whoever makes the Parma Ham in the US makes it in a town called Parma?... I can understand if there is one manufacturer of Parma Ham in ? wherever? it comes from to be made at this, but should be an issue between that manufacturer and the one in the US not between states...

Saying it can't be called something, because it doesn't come from a certain place, is silly... If I were French I would make a wine and call it Napa Valley Finest Wine, and see what happens

Oh, I looked up Parma ham, I'll have to try it. I always make sure that all my prosciutto comes from Italy, I have had some pretty nasty crap from England.
Old August 29, 2003, 17:38   #35
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 00:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
The worst case of label fraud is of course calling a brand of American beer Budweiser. The only true Budweiser comes of course from Ceske Budeovice (Budweis) in the Czech Republic and is actually beer and not bottled piss like the American fake.
This is another slam dunk. AB started brewing and selling it's Budweiser beer (because the founder was from Budweis when it was still part of Austria) in the 1880's and 120 years latter someone wants to sue them for the brand name. Sorry, but you are 120 years to late. Everyone with any legal sense knows you have to defend a label or the the copy right ceases to exist.

120 years of not defending it is PLENTY of time for anyone other the AB to give up their claims.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 29, 2003, 17:40   #36
Rogan Josh
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
So. What if whoever makes the Parma Ham in the US makes it in a town called Parma?
By that reasoning you shouldn't have a problem with people in Ireland opening a Hamburger place called MacDonalds....
Old August 29, 2003, 17:40   #37
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogan Josh
Yes it was. The Hamburger is named after the town of Hamburg....in the US. (they even steal our town names!)

I think this is fair enough. If I go into a supermarket and see 'Parma Ham' written on a packet I bloody well expect it to be Parma Ham! If it is not then the manufacturers are unfairly trading on the reputation of a completely different product, which they do not own.
They've been locally making and selling it for hundred(s) of years. It's to late. You've lost all claims through centuries of inaction. Now, find something else to cry about.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 29, 2003, 17:42   #38
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
By that reasoning you shouldn't have a problem with people in Ireland opening a Hamburger place called MacDonalds....
I wouldn't, but I can't say as much for the crazy nut-jobs that run McDonalds and their team of overpaid attorney's
Old August 29, 2003, 17:43   #39
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Do you not understand English? A copy right must be continually enforced. McDonald's has enforced it's copy right while Italian government hasn't enforced any rights to the term Parma. Heck, I can show you locally produced ham from the US which has been selling Parma Ham continuesly for at least 100 years. I bet if we look we can even find a producer who is older then the Italian state.

The truth is things like Parma ham are no longer brands they are common names to styles of food and nothing more.
Old August 29, 2003, 17:46   #40
Rogan Josh
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
They've been locally making and selling it for hundred(s) of years. It's to late. You've lost all claims through centuries of inaction. Now, find something else to cry about.
That is bullshit - the US has not been making 'Parma Ham' for hundreds of years.

And anyway, what difference does that make? I would not be able to sell cut glass as 'diamonds' because it would be fraud. Selling cheap ham from Canada as 'Parma Ham' is also fraud.
Old August 29, 2003, 17:46   #41
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Quote:

but should be an issue between that manufacturer and the one in the US not between states...
Makes sense. But ultimately not what the EU want. We'll have to see where it leads. My bet is that it get's watered down, but with more concessions made by the U.S. than by Europe. Why? 'Cause this is an issue that we care more about than the U.S.

Asmodean
Old August 29, 2003, 17:46   #42
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Josh, the people who named these towns often named their new towns for the places they lived in Europe. I suppose decendents who stayed in Europe somehow have more right to common cultural heritage then people who brought it to the new world?
Old August 29, 2003, 17:50   #43
Rogan Josh
Prince

Quote:
I suppose decendents who stayed in Europe somehow have more right to common cultural heritage then people who brought it to the new world?
Absolutely

Traitors and deserters the lot of them....
Old August 29, 2003, 17:50   #44
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
That is bullshit - the US has not been making 'Parma Ham' for hundreds of years.

And anyway, what difference does that make? I would not be able to sell cut glass as 'diamonds' because it would be fraud. Selling cheap ham from Canada as 'Parma Ham' is also fraud.
Why do you think the Clocal producer won in Canadian court? It's becuase he could show he made Parma style ham for so long. It's not a fake because we are taking about a style of preparing food and no longer about a region where the food is prepared. The copy right hasn't been defended for hundreds of years and now the term has entered the venacular. It is no longer a brand no matter how much you wish it was.

The EU's attempts to recover these terms is no more valid then if MExico attempted to copy right the term Burrito or if Japan tried to copy right the term Sushi. They are now common words used in the English language and no one has claim upon them.
Old August 29, 2003, 17:51   #45
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
I suppose decendents who stayed in Europe somehow have more right to common cultural heritage then people who brought it to the new world?
But it was the American Hamburg culture that made the burger, not the German one (or whatever it was back then)...

Quote:
Makes sense. But ultimately not what the EU want.
The EU can't just start making new laws out of thin air and expect that the US will apply by them or honor them. If they want anything they will learn to compromise.
Old August 29, 2003, 17:56   #46
Rogan Josh
Prince

Quote:
The EU's attempts to recover these terms is no more valid then if MExico attempted to copy right the term Burrito or if Japan tried to copy right the term Sushi. They are now common words used in the English language and no one has claim upon them.
That is not the same at all. The name of the product 'Parma Ham' is saying that it comes from Parma, whereas 'sushi' is just a general description for a type of food.

I have no objection to them using the word 'ham', but they should build up their own reputation rather than trading on the reputation of others. They can sell 'Calgary Ham' or whatever.
Old August 29, 2003, 17:59   #47
Atahualpa
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

How can one care! Besides I think the people of e.g. canada give a rats ass if their parma comes from italy or not. The EU first should conduct a survey wether this is really something people in other countries are worried about. If 60% of the canadians react with shock to the fact that "their" parma is not of italian origin, I can support this, but I believe they simply dont care enough to make this a global issue.

Plus, I think there are more pressing matters than this.
Old August 29, 2003, 18:06   #48
Atahualpa
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

Quote:
If they want anything they will learn to compromise.
Like in "either-you-are-with-us-..."
Old August 29, 2003, 18:07   #49
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 03:59
Quote:
The name of the product 'Parma Ham' is saying that it comes from Parma
Parma ham can come from the states. No problem.

So there.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old August 29, 2003, 18:08   #50
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
That is not the same at all. The name of the product 'Parma Ham' is saying that it comes from Parma, whereas 'sushi' is just a general description for a type of food.
You don't get it do you? The local producers have been using that phrase to describe a style of preparing food not the region from which the food came from. No one believed that the "Parma ham" they bought at the local meat company was came from Parma, Italy (especially since it had a big fat label which said made in Canada on it). What they are buying is Parma style ham which was locally made and locally produced here for centuries.

The phrases have entered the common language and haven't been legally defended at any time before the last decade and the local people have been using these phrases since the beginning of colonization. It's to lat!e You are pissing in the wind. The phrase no longer means ham made in Parma it means ham cooked in the style prefered in Parma. That's it. It's just a recipe for food and nothing more.
Old August 29, 2003, 18:08   #51
Rogan Josh
Prince

I think I will start boycotting all American foods.....

....wait a minute, there are no American foods worth eating anyway!
Old August 29, 2003, 18:09   #52
Chemical Ollie
King

In principle, I think the new world using the old world brands is infringement, even after 150 years, because it was infringement in the first place and there were no way for the original brand owner to find out that someone else used their name on the other side of the world.

But then you can always consider the meaning of these words - are they a brand or a type of product? I bet there are over a hundred brands that have become the name of a group of similar products.

Vespa
Xerox
Palm
Walkman
PC
Old August 29, 2003, 18:18   #53
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
I'm sorry my friend but this is simply not true. Saying someing is "Parma ham" is like saying something is "southern fried chicken". In both cases we are taking about a style of preparing food not where the food comes from. The EU is just attempting to lie so it can make more money. It is shameful.
Old August 29, 2003, 18:19   #54
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:

The truth is things like Parma ham are no longer brands they are common names to styles of food and nothing more.
This is the point; they are not brands, they became common names thanks to their continuous quality over time and their origin which remains the same all over the years. The problem of protecting these products made in a limited area is not new, and began to find a solution about 100 years ago when we created the concept of *appellation d'origine controlée*. You enjoy it only if your product is locally made with strictly defined products according strictly defined processes. These AOC do not belong to the government nor to the producers; they cannot be sold. Any comparison with brands is irrelevant.

You have to consider that this concept is already accepted for many products, and that we are discussing only of a few additions.

You have also to accept that the land and the climate are of the utmost importance for the quality of certain products. They have to be protected specially because they are not mass producted, and their producers could not compete, marketing wise, with industrial productions.

Last edited by DAVOUT; August 29, 2003 at 18:32.
Old August 29, 2003, 18:24   #55
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
If I were French I would make a wine and call it Napa Valley Finest Wine, and see what happens
Check, you could be surprised ...
Old August 29, 2003, 18:28   #56
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Quote:
This is another slam dunk. AB started brewing and selling it's Budweiser beer (because the founder was from Budweis when it was still part of Austria) in the 1880's and 120 years latter someone wants to sue them for the brand name. Sorry, but you are 120 years to late. Everyone with any legal sense knows you have to defend a label or the the copy right ceases to exist.

120 years of not defending it is PLENTY of time for anyone other the AB to give up their claims.

You can call your piss all you want, anyone who knows what beer is smells the difference for 100 meters anyway.
Old August 29, 2003, 18:29   #57
Oerdin
Deity

When someone goes to a Chinese restaurant and orders "Mongolian Beef" Or "Szechuan Chicken" no one in there right mind honestly expects the beef to come from Mongolia or the Chicken to come from Szechuan. Instead we are talking about a recipe for cooking food. This recipe has entered the common language and we all refer to it as Mongolian Beef or Szechuan Chicken. It is the exact same thing with Champagne or with Parma ham.

The best thing I can say for the EU's trade office is that they are being money grubbing liars and hypocrates.
Old August 29, 2003, 18:33   #58
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
I think I will start boycotting all American foods.....

....wait a minute, there are no American foods worth eating anyway!
I keep hearing Frenchmen mumble about this but all the US fast food companies keep having record years in Europe.
Old August 29, 2003, 18:40   #59
DAVOUT
King

Quote:

The best thing I can say for the EU's trade office is that they are being money grubbing liars and hypocrates.
There is nothing wrong in your not having enough taste to appreciate the difference between a parma ham from parma, and a parma ham for Chicago. You will even be happier with the later because it is a lot cheaper. But you can admit that some people make the difference and dont want to be misled by tags deliberately and purposely misleading. And they are purposely and deliberately misleading, otherwise why would their producers be so inclined to use misleading names?
Old August 29, 2003, 18:42   #60
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
You can call your piss all you want, anyone who knows what beer is smells the difference for 100 meters anyway.
I always hear the same pissing, whining, and moaning from Euros but in the end the American version sales 1000 times more bottles then the Euro version.