Old August 29, 2003, 20:13   #91
Tuberski

Local Time: 03:00
Local Date: November 2, 2010
This is simply payback for the American restaurants changing French fries to Freedom fries.

That should have been obvious since page one.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old August 29, 2003, 20:16   #92
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 01:00
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
I have no reason to do so, since you insist on your "quantity equals quality" stance. But what can I expect from a philistine barbarian. Not an insult, just the truth.
Ralphie-poo. You stated American food was all crap and I simply pointed out how your own people spent vaste quantities of money upon it. Never did I claim McDonald's was quality; I simply stated that the market found it useful and demanded it.

Also I am not a Philistine so please don't call me one. I am actually a fairly decerning eater but I deteste snobby people. I enjoy showing them their own inferiority so that they will cease their snobby pretentions.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 29, 2003, 20:17   #93
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 09:00
Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski
This is simply payback for the American restaurants changing French fries to Freedom fries.
Nah, they had to change, since the French won an lawsuit and ended this label infringement.
Old August 29, 2003, 20:17   #94
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Either you contradict yourself in a previous post (23:50), or you acknowledge that the Mogolian beef can be a true Mongolian beef in Chinese and Korean restaurants, and an american beef in a Mongolian restaurant. Whatever I am lost, and I presume that all consumers (but you perhaps ... sometimes ...) are lost as well.

The AOC are exactly trying to prevent the customer to be lost.
Old August 29, 2003, 20:19   #95
Tuberski

Quote:

Nah, they had to change, since the French won an lawsuit and ended this label infringement.
First time I've heard of the French winning........anything.

This is just as stupid seriously, why not simply allow those original makers, Parma ham, and such, simply be the only ones able to add "genuine" to their label?

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old August 29, 2003, 20:20   #96
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
Ralphie-poo. You stated American food was all crap and I simply pointed out how your own people spent vaste quantities of money upon it. Never did I claim McDonald's was quality; I simply stated that the market found it usual and demanded it.
No. I said that McDonalds has a bigger business volume than Kempinski and implied, that quantity is not the same as quality. You then tried to contradict me with exactly my statement.

Reading seems to be not your strong side.
Old August 29, 2003, 20:23   #97
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DAVOUT
Either you contradict yourself in a previous post (23:50), or you acknowledge that the Mogolian beef can be a true Mongolian beef in Chinese and Korean restaurants, and an american beef in a Mongolian restaurant. Whatever I am lost, and I presume that all consumers (but you perhaps ... sometimes ...) are lost as well.

The AOC are exactly trying to prevent the customer to be lost.
I'm afraid I don't quite follow you my friend. My point has, and will continue to be, that "Mongolian beef", and other food items with a region attached to it's name, are simply recipes for preparing food and not an brand advertising where the food was from.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 29, 2003, 20:24   #98
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Reading seems to be not your strong side.
You're the first one to claim so. Besides I find it ammusing coming from someone who claimed I brought up McDonald's first. just looking over the thread shows that you did. Apparently, I am not the one with the reading comprehension problem.

Last edited by Oerdin; August 29, 2003 at 20:29.
Old August 29, 2003, 20:26   #99
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 10:00
I eat beef filet (or filet mignon or whatever the English name is) with artichokes and corn cobs more often than I eat McDonalds. You can have your little dispute over the names, I enjoy life in any case...
Old August 29, 2003, 20:30   #100
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

The fact that people are actually defending this amuses me greatly. I eagerly await the German & Italian attempt to take the Hamburger and Pizza from us.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old August 29, 2003, 20:32   #101
Oerdin
Deity

Filet Mignon is good but it has the lowest fat content of any beef. I like round top or robeye because it has a fatter content thus lending a fuller taste.
Old August 29, 2003, 20:33   #102
Harovan
staff

Quote:
You're the first one to claim so. Besides I find it ammusing coming from someone who claimed I brought up McDonald's first. just looking over the thread shows that you did. Apparently, I am not the one with the reading comprehension problem.
Wrong. The first were Asmodean and Japher. Your reading problem persists.

EDIT: By the way, I didn't say you brought it up first. I said you keep to bring it up. Reading, reading... train it, it's useful.

Last edited by Harovan; August 29, 2003 at 20:39.
Old August 29, 2003, 20:33   #103
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Oerdin, I cannot convince you that a product like the parma ham cannot be prepared anywhere else than Parma without becoming another product (it is not prepared by cooking). Therefore I can only suggest that next time you visit Italy you spend a day in Parma and look on the way the parma ham is prepared.
Old August 29, 2003, 20:35   #104
Chemical Ollie
King

Is round top or robeye the same meat as entrecote? I eat that quite often too. Every week or two.
Old August 29, 2003, 20:36   #105
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
The fact that people are actually defending this amuses me greatly. I eagerly await the German & Italian attempt to take the Hamburger and Pizza from us.
Neither of them would have the right to do so. Not the German Hamburg was the origin of the Hamburger, and Pizza is just the name of the product; it would be different if you called it Italian pizza.
Old August 29, 2003, 20:39   #106
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
it would be different if you called it Italian pizza.
Then why is Greece with Denmark fighting a battle to control what salty cheese is called if the problem is that easily solved?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old August 29, 2003, 20:39   #107
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
Is round top or robeye the same meat as entrecote? I eat that quite often too. Every week or two.
I'm sorry I don't know. It is possible. Ribeye ( misspelled it as robey before) has a higher fat content so it tends to be juicier then other cuts yet is still tender.
Old August 29, 2003, 20:43   #108
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Then why is Greece with Denmark fighting a battle to control what salty cheese is called if the problem is that easily solved?
Don't know, perhaps we should ask Asmodean and paiktis. This sounds pretty stupid indeed.
Old August 29, 2003, 20:43   #109
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DAVOUT
Oerdin, I cannot convince you that a product like the parma ham cannot be prepared anywhere else than Parma without becoming another product (it is not prepared by cooking). Therefore I can only suggest that next time you visit Italy you spend a day in Parma and look on the way the parma ham is prepared.
I have bought Italian ham from Parma before but I have never had it before in Italy. The Last time I went through Italy I was hurrying on my way to Spain. Next time I will stop and try it plus learn more about how it is made because I would like to know.

I just find it unfair to attack other makers centuries after they began making their product.
Old August 29, 2003, 20:45   #110
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Don't know, perhaps we should ask Asmodean and paiktis. This sounds pretty stupid indeed.
The issue, as always, is money. Greece wants to copy right the word Feta while the Danish feel they have been making goat cheese in that style long enough where that phrase in no longer a copy right. I feel for the Danish in this case.
Old August 29, 2003, 20:51   #111
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:

I'm sorry I don't know. It is possible. Ribeye ( misspelled it as robey before) has a higher fat content so it tends to be juicier then other cuts yet is still tender.
Yeah, that's the kind. Ribeye steak grilled on charcoal with garlic sauce- yum! A true favorite.
Old August 29, 2003, 20:55   #112
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:

The issue, as always, is money. Greece wants to copy right the word Feta while the Danish feel they have been making goat cheese in that style long enough where that phrase in no longer a copy right. I feel for the Danish in this case.
None are made from goat milk. The Greeks make it from sheep's milk, while the Danes make it from cow's milk. I prefer the Greek kind but still mostly buy the Danish kind for availability reasons. Greek feta has to be bought from the peculiar etno food shop while the Danish version is available in the regular supermarket.
Old August 29, 2003, 21:06   #113
HershOstropoler
Settler

"I don't say "You Europeans are just too old and don't understand what American Nationality is...""

Well nobody outside the funny farm really understands this.

"A copy right must be continually enforced."

Says who?

"The EU can't just start making new laws out of thin air and expect that the US will apply by them or honor them."

Sure we can. QED.

"My point is that you ***** and moan but in the end you eat thousands, no millions, of those little burgers each day you little hypocrite."

What's your problem yankee boy? We invented the burger.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old August 29, 2003, 21:15   #114
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Feta is a classic and famous Greek curd cheese whose tradition dates back thousands of years and is still made by shepherds in the Greek mountains with unpasteurized milk. It was originally made with goat's or sheep's milk, but today much is often made commercially with pasteurized cow's milk (the firmer cow's milk version is made for export). Salted and cured in a brine solution (which can be either water or whey) for a week to several months (this is why it is sometimes called a 'pickled' cheese). Feta drys out rapidly when removed from the brine.
Looks like some of it is made with goat's millk. Though mostly you are right. http://www.foodreference.com/html/artfetacheese.html
Old August 29, 2003, 21:18   #115
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by HershOstropoler
"I don't say "You Europeans are just too old and don't understand what American Nationality is...""

Well nobody outside the funny farm really understands this.

"A copy right must be continually enforced."

Says who?
The very same copy right treaties which compell the Chinese to close down their fake CD factories.
Old August 29, 2003, 21:51   #116
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 04:00
Quote:
When someone goes to a Chinese restaurant and orders "Mongolian Beef" Or "Szechuan Chicken" no one in there right mind honestly expects the beef to come from Mongolia or the Chicken to come from Szechuan. Instead we are talking about a recipe for cooking food. This recipe has entered the common language and we all refer to it as Mongolian Beef or Szechuan Chicken. It is the exact same thing with Champagne or with Parma ham.
'Parma' ham and 'Feta' cheese are a style of making a food product, not a specific company's or region's food.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old August 30, 2003, 03:47   #117
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:

The very same copy right treaties which compell the Chinese to close down their fake CD factories.
GIs are different from copyrights and trademarks. That's at least what such treaties say, namely the TRIPS.

"'Parma' ham and 'Feta' cheese are a style of making a food product, not a specific company's or region's food."

Parma ham obviously is specific for a region. For Feta I'm inclined to see it more as a style. The regime for wine and spirits is separate.

The real fun will be about "Budweiser".
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old August 30, 2003, 03:55   #118
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 00:00
Sauerkraut und Wienersnitzel sind sehr bunt

Mis Novias
Old August 30, 2003, 04:02   #119
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by HershOstropoler
Parma ham obviously is specific for a region. For Feta I'm inclined to see it more as a style. The regime for wine and spirits is separate.
Now justify your statement. Why is "PArma ham" any different from "southern fried chicken" or "Mongolian beef"? Prove it is advertising the regional origin of the food and not simply the recipe to make the food.
Old August 30, 2003, 04:25   #120
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Now justify your statement. Why is "PArma ham" any different from "southern fried chicken" or "Mongolian beef"? Prove it is advertising the regional origin of the food and not simply the recipe to make the food.
That's probably a problem in your language, or at least with its usage. Add the word "style" everywhere and it disappears. There's nothing wrong with "Southern style fried chicken" and "Mongolian style beef". Others do it as well, without any confusion. The mentioned "Wiener Schnitzel" is mostly called "Schnitzel Wiener Art" (Vienna style steak) on our menu cards. The "Mongolian beef" (I don't know that dish, though) would be "Rindfleisch Mongolische Art", and all is fine. By the way, our super markets sell pizza American style. That's what it called, "American style pizza", and not "American pizza".