Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 09:00
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
...who makes their living making pure Vienna Sausages? (I didn;t really even see them in vienna), ...
This might be because they weren't invented or originally produced in Vienna, but in Berlin by the employee of a wine restaurant with the last name Wiener. So calling them Vienna sausages by the yanks is just plain wrong, they should call them Wiener sausages.
Old September 13, 2003, 03:29   #212
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 03:00
That name is used for hot dogs in America.

Guess that means our wieners are bigger than yours.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old September 13, 2003, 03:30   #213
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 00:00
That's a given

duh

Mis Novias
Old September 13, 2003, 03:56   #214
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

You eat dogs? Barbarians.
Old September 13, 2003, 04:34   #215
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph

This might be because they weren't invented or originally produced in Vienna, but in Berlin
And we call them Frankfurter for some reason.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old September 13, 2003, 04:48   #216
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
You eat dogs? Barbarians.
I find your anti-asian bias...disturbing.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old September 13, 2003, 05:17   #217
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 11:00
@TMM.
Old September 13, 2003, 18:48   #218
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 10:00
Quote:
Originally posted by DaShi
Feta=Freedom Cheese.
Hey ! Feta is Greek, it's not French Freedom !
Old September 13, 2003, 19:24   #219
vee4473
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Asmodean

I'm sorry, but it really makes Americans look stupid, that they can not see why Europe cares about this.

Asmodean
It makes europeans look as snotty and self-centered as they really are to refuse to believe that no other country in the world outside of europe can possibly produce a food product of quality.

And you said it's a matter of quality.
Old September 13, 2003, 19:28   #220
Spiffor

Vee:
I'm sure you'd hate it if some Euro company (like Nestlé) sold a disgusting frost crepe with tomato dressing, and trademarked it as "New York Pizza".

When American places will be associated with good foods abroad (one day will come when you'll stop only to export your crap ), I don't think you want these location names to be tainted by subpar products stealing them.
Old September 13, 2003, 19:32   #221
vee4473
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Vee:
I'm sure you'd hate it if some Euro company (like Nestlé) sold a disgusting frost crepe with tomato dressing, and trademarked it as "New York Pizza".

When American places will be associated with good foods abroad (one day will come when you'll stop only to export your crap ), I don't think you want these location names to be tainted by subpar products stealing them.
On the list of things to care about in the world, it wouldn't even be a blip on the screen.

And please explain your second paragraph.
Old September 13, 2003, 19:34   #222
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Vee:

Absolutely -- too many American manufacturers doing that as it is!
Old September 13, 2003, 19:35   #223
vee4473
King

and actually, there is "pizza" sold all over the US that is marketed as New York pizza, but it isn't even close.

you just know not to eat it in los angeles.

I never stopped to think about making los angeles stop calling there pizza "ny pizza" by law.

Something like that doesn't even cross my mind...

and America is the self-centered, selfish, arrogant, vain culture??

holy crappola.
Old September 13, 2003, 19:36   #224
vee4473
King

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk

Absolutely -- too many American manufacturers doing that as it is!
Old September 13, 2003, 19:40   #225
Spiffor

Quote:
Originally posted by vee4473
And please explain your second paragraph.
Simple. For now, there is nearly no good American food that is well known abroad. The US only exports its crap (Mc Donald's and Burger King), so foreign companies won't use American location names to make their product more attractive (you won't see a "Phoenix Ham" abroad, whereas you see "Parma Ham" in the US).

But as the US get older, and as the American cuisine becomes better, some good products will emerge and will ultimately be linked to the location where they're produced. For example, one day, some Californian wines enter the competition of the very best. "California" will be a name associated with quality, the same way "Bordeaux" or "Champagne" are today.
By that time, China will probably sell some vinegar, calling it (and trademarking it inside its borders) "Californian". Not only will that taint the prestigious name of California into luring the Chinese consumer California is such crap, it will also bar real Calfornian producers to sell their quality wine in the Chinese market
Old September 13, 2003, 19:44   #226
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 04:00
God, Eurocoms sure are whiny *****es.
Old September 13, 2003, 19:48   #227
Spiffor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
God, Eurocoms sure are whiny *****es.
Yep. Indians and Ceylonese sure are too.

In this age of copyright, it sure is right to forbid anyone to develop vital medication from your research, but it is utterly wrong to defend your local food products, and to make sure they can be sold abroad

For some strange reason, I see nobody from the US talking about how real Parma Ham was banned from sale in Canada, because a Canadian fake had trademarked the name Parma Ham before... Care to explain why it is so great and so right ?
Old September 13, 2003, 20:06   #228
vee4473
King

Quote:

Simple. For now, there is nearly no good American food that is well known abroad. The US only exports its crap (Mc Donald's and Burger King), so foreign companies won't use American location names to make their product more attractive (you won't see a "Phoenix Ham" abroad, whereas you see "Parma Ham" in the US).

But as the US get older, and as the American cuisine becomes better, some good products will emerge and will ultimately be linked to the location where they're produced. For example, one day, some Californian wines enter the competition of the very best. "California" will be a name associated with quality, the same way "Bordeaux" or "Champagne" are today.
By that time, China will probably sell some vinegar, calling it (and trademarking it inside its borders) "Californian". Not only will that taint the prestigious name of California into luring the Chinese consumer California is such crap, it will also bar real Calfornian producers to sell their quality wine in the Chinese market
I understand what you are saying, but it
still would never be the overriding concern in my life.

I think that the market eventually weeds the bad from the good, and people eventually learn the good brands from the bad.

in the case of wine, the bottle clearly states where the wine grapes were grown. So if i see a bottle marked "burgundy", but the label says California (or Oregon or Australia which are better I think), I already am under no false pretense that the wine ever came anywhere near France.

And most better American wineries already do respect the location naming thing.

Most better wineries will label a wine "pinot noir" instead "burgundy", since even though the exact same grapejuice is in the bottle (I think the grape used in "burgundy" is pinot noir), they respect the the fact that it wasn't made IN burgundy, france and therefore name the wine after the grape variety itself, pinot noir.
Old September 13, 2003, 20:10   #229
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
I'm sure you Yanks would hate it if some local Cola brand was called "Coca Cola" while tasting different. And I'm sure you'd understand why your government will try to stop it.
It's funny you should mention this. Here in Japan, they sell a cheap knock-off of Coca-Cola known as "American Cola." Now, if I was a Eurocom I would probably whine about this "fraud" and go on ad nauseum about how this product reflects badly on the real American cola made in my country. However, since I'm an American I don't really give a **** about it. We're not elitist *****.

I sure as hell don't want the American government going after some harmless cola company in Japan. That would just be ridiculous.
Old September 13, 2003, 20:12   #230
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
For some strange reason, I see nobody from the US talking about how real Parma Ham was banned from sale in Canada, because a Canadian fake had trademarked the name Parma Ham before... Care to explain why it is so great and so right ?
Why the hell would Americans comment on Canadian policy? We don't care about Canada...
Old September 13, 2003, 20:16   #231
Spiffor

Quote:
Why the hell would Americans comment on Canadian policy?
Well, you're whining for more than 7 pages now on European policy
Old September 13, 2003, 20:22   #232
Drake Tungsten
Deity

The European policy is trying to screw over American food producers. We wouldn't give a **** if you guys just limited your stupid laws to your continent.
Old September 13, 2003, 20:24   #233
Spiffor

Quote:
The European policy is trying to screw over American food producers. We wouldn't give a **** if you guys just limited your stupid laws to your continent.
At the contrary, you should be glad. We are trying to get you eat real Greek feta, instead of Danish hideous Feta We're doing everything possible to improve your quality of life and you're whining !
Old September 13, 2003, 20:24   #234
vee4473
King

I think the gray area comes in when you compare a company with a city.

Coca-Cola would have very right to sue because of a company trademark etc.., but should a city have the same right? maybe, maybe not

I mean, a fake coca cola company would be profitting off of the name of the real company.

I know alot of you are trying to say it's the same thing....that fake parma ham companies in Canada are profitting off of the name and denying the real parma ham makers profit...

but, until an italian company actually makes a product called "genuine Italian parma" or something, and THEN someone uses that name, I don't think this is a good comparison.

It would be like every chicago deep dish pizzeria wanting to sue the company Di Giorno for their new "chicago deep dish" frozen umm...pizza... by the same name.

but because chicago deep dish is just a style of pizza and not an actual company brand or such thing, they just can't i don't think.

Prosciutto de Parma is just a ham made in a particular style in Parma, that's all. It's damn tasty, but since it just is a style of ham, and not a brand name, it's not the same comparison.
Old September 13, 2003, 20:26   #235
Spiffor

Quote:
Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
Spiffor, real feta is made of sheep's milk, not goat's milk as far as I know.
This is true. It was a lingual mistake from me, because I thought the "goat" was the female of the "sheep". Real Feta is indeed made of sheep milk, not goat. I apologize for the repeated mistake.
Old September 13, 2003, 20:29   #236
Spiffor

Quote:
Originally posted by vee4473
It would be like every chicago deep dish pizzeria wanting to sue the company Di Giorno for their new "chicago deep dish" frozen umm...pizza... by the same name.

but because chicago deep dish is just a style of pizza and not an actual company brand or such thing, they just can't i don't think.
In the current state of affair, sure. But shouldn't it change ? If these pizzaguys feel a prestige or financial loss is due to this frozen pizza (should it be subpar), shouldn't they ask for compensation, or shouldn't they have the improper name removed ?
Old September 13, 2003, 20:31   #237
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
But shouldn't it change ? If these pizzaguys feel a prestige or financial loss is due to this frozen pizza (should it be subpar), shouldn't they ask for compensation, or shouldn't they have the improper name removed?
No. That would be stupid.
Old September 13, 2003, 20:35   #238
Spiffor

Quote:
No. That would be stupid.
I take it you'd think a company forcing another not to use their trademarked name is "stupid" too ? It is the exact same reasoning.
Old September 13, 2003, 20:37   #239
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:

This is true. It was a lingual mistake from me, because I thought the "goat" was the female of the "sheep". Real Feta is indeed made of sheep milk, not goat. I apologize for the repeated mistake.
No hard feelings. By the way, I eat (Danish) Feta 5-6 days a week. It's great in any sallad. The Greek original is even better, but harder to get (here).
Old September 13, 2003, 20:38   #240
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
It is the exact same reasoning.
No it isn't. A trademarked product name is a completely different thing from a non-trademarked name describing a type of food. "Chicago deep dish" isn't a term you can reserve only for certain brands of pizza.