Old March 6, 2000, 14:52   #1
JPetroski
Prince

Local Time: 01:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Is there still a "market" for WW2 scenarios?
Personally, I feel that there still is, thanks entirely to Red Front.

The only thing is, now WW2 scenarios are going to have to be larger, and more complex, to be original.

Take "Aufstieg" for example. Each turn represents only a week of the war. The scenario, complimented by Nemo's outstanding art, should be very pleasing to the eye, but I dont know how many would be willing to play it since it is so massive.

Solution: Make as many AI turns as short as possible.

WW2 scenario design is being reborn in my opinion. Civ2 is just now fully being explored for the possibilities it offers. With many people working on hex editing, I think that the game could possibally last for at least until Civ3 comes out. Maybe longer.

Basically what I can tell you is that at least 3 designers are working on a few new WW2 scenarios, some campaigns, some whole wars. If they are inovative, can they survive in the civ2 world?

I think that they can, but it will be a struggle for the designer. Then again, the more effort a designer puts into his or her work, the better the scenario will be in the long run.

Thank you,

------------------
John Petroski
Vudak@aol.com
Old March 6, 2000, 17:39   #2
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

I, for one, love WWII and play all the scenarios made on it...no matter how crappy they are
Old March 6, 2000, 18:17   #3
NickC
Prince

Local Time: 05:54
I think more in the lines that Red Front started a whole new kind of WW2 scenarios!
Old March 6, 2000, 19:23   #4
Archangel

Yes there is definetly a market! It's just that those who oppose ww2 scenarios are the loudest.

Old March 6, 2000, 22:44   #5
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

And remember, many more people who play civ than just those who post here.
Old March 7, 2000, 02:59   #6
prushka
Warlord

Local Time: 05:54
im not agianst ww2 scns, but i am agianst a literal vacancy of original postWW2 scns....
Old March 7, 2000, 18:29   #7
klesh
King

John,
Yes, WWII scenarios still have a huge "market". Because of it's captivating storyline, WWII will never go away. With scenarios like RedFront, we've entered new territory. The ability to hex and such allows for vast ammounts of new ideas. It all depends on how much time you got.
Nemo was contemplating a Stalingrad scenario. The possibilities are great when you think abstractly, for new ideas. Perhaps a one city battle idea like Nemos can be real good if done correctly. Imagine having what we consider cities in Civ being sections or neighborhoods of Stalingrad,the entire map would be the city itself.
Ideas like this completely change the game, and this is what is needed to push scenarios to the nextlevel. I don't envy you designers...it's real tough to be original with all the great work that's already out there. But the work you guys do is appriciated globaly. If scenario building is being re-born, then what y'all come out with next should be ultra impressive. BTW, thought I'd let you know that your scenarios have already provided literally hours of enjoyment for me ....just incase you're feeling underapriciated.
Old March 7, 2000, 20:47   #8
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

I am not against WWII scenarios, but rather against WWII scenarios that have more than one kind of fighter among all seven sides. CivII is about abstraction and most WWII scenarios try to accomplish the opposite.

------------------
St. Leo
http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
http://www.sidgames.com/forums/