Old August 31, 2003, 06:27   #1
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 10:02
Local Date: November 2, 2010
2 days ago my family and I almost died
2 days ago I was walking home from downtown with my girlfriend and our 15 months old child in his baby carriage when suddenly, after 2 months of record heat, it started raining and lightening when we just had entered the central park of Graz, which we had to cross. We knew that should happen that day or the next, but there were not much hints that it would come so soon.
At that point I already knew we'd come into heavy rain, we put a rain cover over the baby carriage and my girlfriend opened the umbrella, me getting completely wet, well I don't care much about rain. A wind set in and I told Katja that we should walk a bit faster, before the wind becomes stronger. All of a sudden (all this happened within less than 2 minutes!), a storm started and I saw smaller branches coming down from the trees and the horse-chestnuts falling down. I shouted at Katja to run and I ran with the baby towards the end of the park, where there was a roof for people wating for public transportation.It was still scary there, because it's at a highly frequented street and those idiots continued to drive past us at 50-60km/h. I only got hit by minor branches on my way, the baby cried in panic and Katja didn't come after us. Looking back I saw bigger branches coming down and decided to run back, leaving the baby with some people I didn't know who also seeked shelter there from the storm ("where should they go in that storm?" I thought). Luckily I didn't have to go back far when Katja came - with a completely destroyed umbrella, broken by the branches falling down on her.
Only few minutes later, the wind was completely gone, in the news they said it were Tornado-like whirles that struck Graz with speeds around 115km/h I don't know, people in Tornado areas will maybe laugh at that speed, but we don't have Tornados in Graz, damn it and we were completely unprepared. On our way back home we saw in an alley a car that was severly hit by a falling tree while driving (the driver being hurt badly) and yesterday I went back to see how the park looks like and it was horrible. Right where we wlaked there was a fallen tree and several huge branches. Considering that the tornado lasted only, say, 3 minutes we were pretty close to being hit.

Just felt that I have to share this experience with you, thanks for reading.
Old August 31, 2003, 06:30   #2
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 19:02
Good to hear you made it through ok.
Old August 31, 2003, 06:36   #3
HershOstropoler
Settler

Local Time: 09:02
Glad that no one was hurt.

Although wind breaking branches and trees isn't that unusual.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old August 31, 2003, 06:56   #4
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 04:02
Quote:
Only few minutes later, the wind was completely gone, in the news they said it were Tornado-like whirles that struck Graz with speeds around 115km/h I don't know, people in Tornado areas will maybe laugh at that speed, but we don't have Tornados in Graz, damn it and we were completely unprepared.
No, that sounds about right for a not very strong tornado.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old August 31, 2003, 07:02   #5
Chemical Ollie
King

Good to hear you made it.

I had a mini-tornado in my garden one year ago. Heavy branches had flewn 50 meters, while light branches had been lifted over my house and landed on the street 150 meters away. It was a mess to clean up, I can assure you.
Old August 31, 2003, 07:15   #6
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Local Time: 08:02
Good job staying alive, hope your family's ok!
Old August 31, 2003, 07:23   #7
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 19:02
We had a gale last week and one unlucky couple driving in their car were killed by a fallen branch.
Old August 31, 2003, 07:30   #8
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by HershOstropoler
Although wind breaking branches and trees isn't that unusual.
No, it's not. But finding myself in a park when it happens is.

Quote:
No, that sounds about right for a not very strong tornado.
Wow, now I can brag "I live in a tornado area, you know"

Quote:
It was a mess to clean up, I can assure you.
My mum is a flower and generally plant maniac and owns dozens of potted plants. Better, she owned, because there are few pots left and the plants are scattered around the garden.
Old August 31, 2003, 07:32   #9
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by elijah
Good job staying alive, hope your family's ok!
Thanks, we are. Just the boy instantly started to cry today, when I walked through the rain with him today.
Old August 31, 2003, 07:38   #10
red_jon
NationStates
King

Graz! My machine set it to Tokyo!

Seriously, glad you're all ok
Old August 31, 2003, 07:50   #11
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 11:02
Glad you're ok.

The last mini-tornado here was last week, killed a few people under trees. The one before that, though, was over a year ago.
Old August 31, 2003, 08:16   #12
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Wernazuma III

Wow, now I can brag "I live in a tornado area, you know"
And write a book: "How I survived the Styrian Tornado of 2003"
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old August 31, 2003, 09:55   #13
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 11:02
Sounds pretty wild! I'm glad to hear you made through it. Kind of funny, your life can end at any minute and you wouldn't know it before hand.. I guess you just have to enjoy every minute of it and not dwell on crap, so it's good times the most of it. Also kind of weird to think, you know if you never came back from that situation, would we have ever known about it? Maybe not.. well, anyway good to hear you and your family is ok, that's the most important thing.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old August 31, 2003, 11:35   #14
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Pekka
Also kind of weird to think, you know if you never came back from that situation, would we have ever known about it? Maybe not...
Scary, isn't it. In a history forum I frequently visit(ed), there was some guy who stopped posting all of a sudden. Well, such things happen, for whatever reasons. Some 2 weeks later though his mother posted that he had died in hospital after a long disease (of which we didn't know anything) and wanted his mother to inform the people of the forum.
Old August 31, 2003, 13:17   #15
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 16:02
Damn.

That's almost as bad as that time when I receive a phone call from a friend, informing me that a mutual friend had just died of a heart attack. He was a class below us and had just graduated from university.

First, I was confused. Then I was bewildered, then shocked. Having a close look at mortality at that brash young age was most unsettling.
Old August 31, 2003, 14:07   #16
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:02
I guess it's just cuz you're not used to strong weather, but you weren't in much danger. Hurricane force winds are common where I grew up (American MidWest). Really, winds of that speed are unlikely to kill or hurt very much. I imagine it was pretty scary though. I wouldn't have wanted to be out in it.

BTW, tornadoes are not quiet. If it had been a real tornado, you would have heard the sound of a frieght train or jet airliner. Buddy of mine was telling me that he used to live near the airport, and when a tornado was actually headed towards his house, he didn't even bother to seek shelter, because he thought a plane was crashing on him, and where do you hide from that?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old August 31, 2003, 15:00   #17
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 02:02
Welcome to the world of tornadic winds, Wernazuma III. Not much fun, are they? Glad to see everyone made it out fine.

I live in the Upper Midwest of the United States, and we're no strangers to howling tornadoes up here, although we don't have it quite as bad as, say, Oklahoma or Kansas. We did, however, record 67 tornadoes in a single day and night back in June — we had a massive low pressure system moving through unstable air, and it set everything off. There was one monstrous F4-F5 twister that leveled a small community southeast of where I live ... no one, died, though the town is gone. Literally.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old August 31, 2003, 15:16   #18
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

A miss is as good as a mile.
Old August 31, 2003, 15:20   #19
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

you post in a history forum? geek

cool how you got through that anyway. make sure the boy gets used to rain again

that weather sounds weird even for ösiland
Old August 31, 2003, 15:26   #20
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

You're not in Kansas anymore, Miss Parker.
Old August 31, 2003, 15:28   #21
Ecthy
Emperor

you have talent. I can teach you to become a spamedi knight.
Old August 31, 2003, 16:07   #22
Atahualpa
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

ÖSILAND IST ABGEBRANNT!!!!
Old August 31, 2003, 16:19   #23
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Gatekeeper
There was one monstrous F4-F5 twister that leveled a small community southeast of where I live ... no one, died, though the town is gone. Literally.

Gatekeeper
What kind of reparations can the home owners in such an area expect. Are they required to have individual insurance for their houses, in order to receive reparations. Or will the state/federal authorities take over part of the payments?

Asmodean
Old August 31, 2003, 16:38   #24
Ecthy
Emperor

@ata
Old August 31, 2003, 16:52   #25
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

That'll teach you to go for a walk in the park! You young people always looking for a little excitement, life in the fast lane, well I'll tell YOU! When we were young we had more sense than to go for strolls all willy nilly! Were you drunk?!?!

Hmmph.

Young people.

Well, good thing you're all safe, hope you learned something from the experience.

Old August 31, 2003, 16:57   #26
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Go to Disneyland, you non-New Yorker.

Watch out for falling poodles.
Old August 31, 2003, 17:31   #27
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ecthelion
spamedi knights
once infested, better let the thread die quickly...
Old August 31, 2003, 18:03   #28
Ecthy
Emperor

werna, please

I told you I'm glad you survived
Old August 31, 2003, 18:06   #29
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS