Old March 6, 2000, 00:46   #1
Phoenix
Prince

Local Time: 23:54
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Good Bye
It is becoming more and more apparent that I don't have time for civ anymore. I haven't even played the game for months, not even my scenarios. I've said I was making stuff, but I really haven't had the time even to do that.

With the end of my civving days come the end of my apolyton days. There is really no point in posting here if I don't have time to play the game, and off topic...well...*indistinct mumble*

I want to tell all of you that Sleague has been the greatest movement of the greatest game ever made. You all rock! Espescially Blackclove and Cam Hills, the two most badass civvers that exist!

Here is my huge thank you list, but I know I'm going to forget somebody, if I forgot you its my own stupid fault, you all know how much you have meant to me...

Thanks a lot to ....

Blackclove - for making the sleague, for making scenarios, for letting people all over let others know what they think about thier scenarios, for what you did for me with swampland, underdark and charlemagne, thank you!

Cam Hills - you were the very first one to ever comment on one of my scenarios, the very first swampland one, and you were with it right up until charlemagne. You have made some of the best scenarios on the net, and your reviews both in my Creators Guild and the Sleauge were extremely kickass. Thank you more than anything for your playtesting in SwampLand II, Underdark, and all the others.

Michael Jeszenka - For your website, for your scenarios, for your contributions to the civ community, none of that could ever be forgotten. I still don't think Sword of Shannara has been topped in its field.

Techumseh - For making Prince of Darkness, thank you! thank you! One of the best fantasy scenarios ever. Many hours of my life were spent playing that scenario, and the PoD challenge, which I could never beat!

Giant Squid - One of my best civvin buddies last summer, remember those hours long javachat conversations we had? Thank you so much for playtesting Enemy of God and Charlemagne! Your feedback on Enemy of God was the best and it made the scenario twice as good as what it was. Thank you! Thank you! Also thank you for never giving up! After your first scenario some might have quit with the sort of feedback some people gave you. But you kept on trying and now you make some of the best scenarios on the net. I can't help but appreciate that.

Stefan Hartel - Thank you for opening up to me things I never knew before. I do not think that any of your scenarios touched upon ideas that had been done before, each one was not only a fun gaming experience, but also a learning experience. Thank you, thank you!

Stefu - One of the best playtesters on the web. Thank you for your help with Underdark and Pope Patrick.

Dracon - Thank you very much for reviving my website, it really touches me that someone cared so much just to do that! Also thanks for keeping the sleauge forums jumpin every once in a while with your off the wall scenario ideas and comments.

Mark L - for that wonderful fall of rome scenario, your great work with the scenario league and your efforts in the community. I hope your project goes well!

And thank you to...Jesus Balsinde, Alex the Magnificent, Allard Hoefelt, Andrew Hoekzema, MarkG and DanQ, Reismark, Coug, St. Leo, John Petroski, Michael Daumen, Gothmog, DarthVeda, Captain Nemo, Mao, William Keening, and Jim Winchell.

And nothing but love for my civnation homies, gary longo, fast eddie and zulu elephant. you guys are the best!

Hopefully I'll catch civ 3 when it comes out. Then the fun will begin again!

PEACE!

------------------
No other course. No other way. No Day but Today
Old March 6, 2000, 01:52   #2
Cam
King

Local Time: 15:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Phoenix,

Firstly I'm hoping that there's some irony in your latest handle and indeed you do rise from the proverbial ashes at some later point, and get the Civ bug again! Perhaps Civ3 will be the u-turn!

Thanks for your very kind words - the last few years have been terrific, and needless to say that your own leadership in 'the community' has been an invaluable plank in it all.

I do understand your decision to 'move on' - many times I've felt the same way, but some magnetic force keeps drawing me back to Apolyton and the game itself. I particularly empathise with putting scenario development on the back-burner - it requires a ton of effort to put out something original, challenging, and fun. I think in particular your entry to SDC#3 hit all of those notes and I was surprised it didn't get more attention.

You mention my scenarios - and I'm glad you enjoyed them. While Pyramid Pursuit suffered from 'first scenario syndrome', I was pretty pleased with Gangster and Rhino (I'm tinkering with my fourth btw).

Your web site was great and the Creators' Guild was a super idea. I very much enjoyed contributing to it, although sadly we never saw too much from the scenario authors with their final results! Regardless it was an excellent concept and I hope that a few people garnered something from it.

Best of luck 'China' in your future endeavours whatever they may be. It's been great getting to know you - and hopefully we'll cross paths again soon.

Kind regards,

Cam
Old March 6, 2000, 02:53   #3
Fast_Eddie

Later dude!

Old March 6, 2000, 03:20   #4
MarkG

Goodbye Mr Temba! And dont worry, whenever you have one of those civ crises, you can be sure that apolyton will be here

Old March 6, 2000, 03:57   #5
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 23:54
Well that is sad news. I've noticed you haven't been around here as much lately. I just chalked it up to one of the usual 'down times' that all of us have. I always enjoyed your posts and your site was the best. I'm glad it's been resurrected.

I was, perhaps, one of the few who really appreciated 'Underdark'. I'm sure it will be a cult classic in the future. And thanks for your kind words about 'Prince of Darkness'.

All the best in the future. I hope you check in once and a while.
Old March 6, 2000, 06:25   #6
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 06:54
Thanks for the nice comments. I hope to see you here again when civ3 is out. You've been a terrific playtester for "Artaxerxes"... The rest is silence

------------------
Follow the masses!
30,000 lemmings can't be wrong.

We who grew up tall and proud
In the shadow of the mushroom cloud
Convinced our voices can't be heard
We just want to scream it louder and louder:
"What the hell are we fighting for?"
"Just surrender and it won't hurt at all"
-Brian May (Queen)
Old March 6, 2000, 11:34   #7
DanQ

Good bye, Phoenix. Best of luck to you in your future endeavours.

----------------
Dan; Apolyton CS

Old March 6, 2000, 17:37   #8
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 01:54
He'll be back...but until then *sheds a tear*
Old March 6, 2000, 18:16   #9
NickC
Prince

Local Time: 05:54
Bye, Mr. Temba.
Old March 6, 2000, 20:51   #10
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 22:54
Mr. Temba: He ALWAYS told it like it was.

God speed, friend.
Old March 7, 2000, 06:22   #11
Gothmog
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 01:54
I'm sorry to see you go. One of the main reasons I ever visited the forums was to see what Mr.Temba/Phoenix had to say!
Old March 7, 2000, 12:44   #12
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 06:54
Goodbye...I hope to see you here again in the future.

sniff, sniff

------------------
"Only resolution and habit can let me make an entry tonight. I am too miserable, too low-spirited, too sick of the world and all in it, including life itself, that I would not care if I heard this moment the flapping of the wings of the angel of death."
Old March 12, 2000, 01:03   #13
blackclove

Man, I think I'm getting choked up here. I sure hope for a big reunion when Civ3 starts up with all the old-timers returning for a new round of fun.

I really understand how hard it is to keep up. But Civ2 always seems to draw me back somehow... so I hope it will draw you back at some point, too.