Old September 1, 2003, 03:16   #1
Vev
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 18:04
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Googliefest!
As a tribute to Googlie on the 33th anniversary of landing on Chiron, we, the people shall thank and praise Googlie in creating and looking after us! I shall begin with a toast of Xenorum!
Old September 1, 2003, 03:20   #2
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 08:04
/me is a commited atheiest *

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old September 1, 2003, 03:21   #3
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

We MUST convert the atheiests!
Old September 1, 2003, 03:25   #4
Vev
King

Yes, copious amount of alcohol shall do the trick.
Old September 1, 2003, 03:27   #5
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

/me sings drunkenly *

*hic* There ish no ggoogloeGod, 'ere isss na GoooglieeGarf *

-Jam
Old September 1, 2003, 03:36   #6
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Throw him in the googliefier!
Old September 1, 2003, 03:38   #7
Vev
King

And hope that may he be judged worthy by the great Googlie.
Old September 1, 2003, 03:43   #8
Jamski
Deity

/me burns gently *

-Jam
Old September 1, 2003, 03:43   #9
Kody
Emperor

Heh it's a good thing not many people can see the internal hive googliefiest.
Old September 1, 2003, 03:47   #10
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

I thank my father for breathing into me life.

GooglieGod forever!
Old September 1, 2003, 06:04   #11
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Wow, you people can really spam

/me looks down upon the festivities and smiles, knowing that his Conversations with GooglieGod gives him a special outlet to worship.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old September 1, 2003, 08:37   #12
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 09:04
Here ye landlubbers, I found these tablets floating near Mount Planet,

And in that funny alien language which we fed into our deciphering machine.
It read (though some disagree with the translation):

1 Thou shalt not have false Googliegods before me
2 Thou shalt not consult before meeting in game
3 Thou shal save a day free from work to play the game
4 Honour thy CMN and MarkG
5 Thou may kill most other factions
6 Thou may commit Miami
7 Thou may probe as much as you are able
8 But you must declare Vendetta if at truce, treaty or Pact unless permitted
9 Thou shalt covet thy neighbours SPs
10 Thou shalt covet thy neighbours bases
Old September 1, 2003, 18:09   #13
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 10:04
What's a Googlie?

/me runs back to his evil lair
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old September 1, 2003, 20:49   #14
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

EVERYONE, KILL THE INFIDEL!!!!
Old September 1, 2003, 22:22   #15
Vev
King

/me brandishes butterknife of mindworm infestation.
Old September 2, 2003, 11:57   #16
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 02:04
What a chaos place. I heard it was some kind of a fest? Hmmm... Where's the xenorum?

Grapefruit Garden
Old September 2, 2003, 12:19   #17
Mark123jansen
ACDG3 GaiansACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

well, the mateys on board the ship supposed to deliver the finest quality of peace xenorum got thirsty halfway to mount planet, needless to say what happened next.
Old September 2, 2003, 14:57   #18
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 01:04
Tsk Tsk Tsk; I'm disappointed in all you Comrades trying to convert Jamski, the fundamental freedoms of the Human Hive clearly guarantee freedom of religion, and freedom from religion.

Besides he'll just spend eternity in hellfire for his blasphemy anyway, just like it says in the Book of Bob.
Old September 2, 2003, 15:31   #19
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 05:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Lemmy
What's a Googlie?
/me slaps Lemmy around a bit with 200 combat drones
Old September 2, 2003, 18:54   #20
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Quote:
Originally posted by Voltaire
the Book of Bob

Old September 2, 2003, 18:55   #21
Jamski
Deity

Religion is the opiate of the masses, remember.

-Jam
Old September 2, 2003, 19:13   #22
Vev
King

And xenorum is the preferred choice of the xeno-generation.
Old September 2, 2003, 20:19   #23
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 01:04
"Marx was wrong. Religion is not the opiate of the people. Opium suggests something soporific, numbing, dulling. Too often religion has been an aphrodisiac for horror, a Benzedrine for bestiality. At its best it has lifted spirits and raised spires. At its worst it has turned entire civilizations into cemeteries."

--Phillip Adams
Old September 3, 2003, 02:53   #24
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 19:04
The PUT hereby refuses to have any part in these celebrations. Religion of any kind is the antithesis of science, rationality, and reality, and as such we refuse to participate in any religious ceremonies.
Old September 3, 2003, 03:18   #25
Jamski
Deity

Phillip Adams was wrong. Religion is indeed numbing, dulling and soporific, as the word opiate suggests. It numbs the workers to the harsh realities of their slavery and comforts them with a vision of an afterlife where they can rest. Furthermore the idea of a creator god, or a controlling god fills the masses with the idea that they have been put in their lowly positions for a purpose, and that god has chosen others to be thier masters. The opiate prevents their striving against the social system, and contents the workers with their lot.

-Jam
Old September 3, 2003, 07:21   #26
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
The PUT hereby refuses to have any part in these celebrations. Religion of any kind is the antithesis of science, rationality, and reality, and as such we refuse to participate in any religious ceremonies.
Actually it isn't. Belief in a God with no evidence of their existance is irrational, however belief in a God whom you know to exist is not. We have evidence of GooglieGods existance, thus belief in him is rational. Worshipping and appeasing GooglieGod is also rational, since if someone has power over you, being nice to them is simple common sense

Extract from the introduction to Conversations with GooglieGod
Quote:
Arguments against religion are usually founded in the illogic in believing in something with no evidence, that almost defies common sense with it's existance. If you start from the position of knowing that God exists, as we know with GooglieGod (we all have regular conversations with him, unless that's just us - ed) then belief in him is not needed. I do not need to believe that I exist, as I know it to be true, and the same with GooglieGod. Therefore without the irrational and illogical belief, the appeasement of a being who has control over your fortunes is a logical course of action. The only illogical part of religion, the belief, has been removed.

Old September 3, 2003, 07:23   #27
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 19:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue

Actually it isn't. Belief in a God with no evidence of their existance is irrational, however belief in a God whom you know to exist is not. We have evidence of GooglieGods existance, thus belief in him is rational. Worshipping and appeasing GooglieGod is also rational, since if someone has power over you, being nice to them is simple common sense

We know of the existence of a being known as 'Googlie'. We have, as yet, no evidence of his possessing any supernatural powers other than access to our computer networks, access which we granted him and which we can deny him.
Old September 3, 2003, 07:33   #28
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

That (religion as an opiate) may well have been a contributory factor in the 19th and early 20th centuries in Europe but there are and were other factors that prevent people striving against social systems. Knowledge is power.

Thankfully in PEACE we have a range of quality media - Shipping News for example and an education system for pirates funded by appropriate(d) grant schemes.
Old September 3, 2003, 11:00   #29
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 02:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
Quote:
I do not need to believe that I exist, as I know it to be true, and the same with GooglieGod.
How do you know it is true that you exist? You think that you exist, but you may be simply a fictitious character in a made up world. You think you see things, hear things and feel things, but maybe it is just some electrical current or something similar that makes you to feel that way. How could one be sure of anything?

One day Zhou dreamed that he became a butterfly. But the next day he couldn't be sure if he was actually a butterfly who was dreaming that he became Zhou.

Grapefruit Garden
Old September 3, 2003, 11:36   #30
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 10:04
Words of wisdom, HongHu. (Though I assume most Chinese learns this from childhood.) I thought the same thing as you when I read Drogue's extract, but I didn't bother to respond at first because I don't want to point out the fallacies in our future 3D articles.

Drogue, even if you have lots of evidence of a certain phenomenon, you can never be a 100% sure something is "true". One can only work from the empirical data one has and make reasonable assumptions from that. But you can never be absolutely sure evidence to the contrary will appear. So it will always stay a belief. Absolute truths will never be known.

Anyway, I'll stop talking about my strange worldview mix of experimental science and oriental philosophy. Last time I did that I got into one of those many arguments with Archaic...