Old September 1, 2003, 05:04   #1
rina
Settler

Local Time: 08:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Culture
Although religion is no longer dominates everyday life in Western society, Islam becomes the fastest-growing religion in America and in the world?

A NATION CHALLENGED: AMERICAN MUSLIMS; Islam Attracts Converts By the Thousand, Drawn Before and After Attacks
By JODI WILGOREN
Source: The New York Times: October 22, 2001, Monday
Section: National Desk

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/3016/fastest.htm

"Islam is the fastest-growing religion in America, a guide and pillar of stability for many of our people..." Hillary Rodman Clinton, Los Angeles Times, May 31, 1996, p.3

Famous people are affected too:

Singer "Cat Stevens" Hear his story as told him . . . read more
http://www.islamtomorrow.net/converts/yusuf_islam.htm
Old September 1, 2003, 05:18   #2
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 03:05
I like yogurt.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old September 1, 2003, 05:28   #3
Makeo
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
King

Local Time: 01:05
Vanilla? I love vanilla yogurt. I don't like big gross bits of fruit in my yogurt. uh uh. Its good on icecream too.
Old September 1, 2003, 05:43   #4
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 09:05
There is a word for someone who registers and then starts a thread in OT on the same day.

The word is DL.
Old September 1, 2003, 05:48   #5
Makeo
King

DL isn't a word.
Old September 1, 2003, 06:19   #6
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Garbage is a word.
Old September 1, 2003, 08:04   #7
rina
Settler

This phenomenon indicates that Islam is truly a religion from God. It is unreasonable to think that so many American converted to Islam without careful consideration and deep contemplation before concluding that Islam is true.* These Americans came from different classes, races and walks of life.* They include scientists, professors, philosophers, journalists, doctors, nurses, teachers, artists, lawmakers, chefs, laborers, and every other sort of person imaginable.
Old September 1, 2003, 08:16   #8
dannubis
King

Local Time: 10:05
as long as they don't tend to fly planes in tall places it's fine by me ...
Old September 1, 2003, 09:01   #9
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 19:05
I like Cat Stevens' songs.

Anyway, if converting to Islam made these other people happy, then more power to 'em. Aside from those involved though, who cares?
Old September 1, 2003, 09:06   #10
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 04:05
As long as we're playing pseudo-missionary, does anybody here want to buy the Orthodox Study Bible? SVSpress.com should have some. Operators are standing by.
If anyone wants to sell the book of mormon online, here's their chance...
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old September 1, 2003, 09:08   #11
rina
Settler

Read this please:

Whoever kills a soul, unless for a soul, or for corruption done in the land - it is as if he had slain mankind entirely. And whoever saves one, it is as if he had saved mankind entirely
[Qur'an 5:32]
One of the core meanings of Islam is peace. Therefore, the inhumane and horrific events at the World Trade Center which caused innocent casualties - including many Muslim victims - is clearly, without a doubt, completely un-Islamic.
However, it should be noted that the actions of an individual or a small group do not necessarily represent the beliefs of a particular religion, nor is that religion responsible for such actions. Therefore, the media’s labeling of those who are allegedly responsible for these actions as “Islamic Terrorists” and the linking of such actions to Islam or the Qur’an, is incorrect. Rather, such inhumane actions clearly contradict the teachings of Islam - just as the bombing at Oklahoma City by Timothy McVeigh and the killings that occurred at Ibrahim Mosque, Hebron by Dr. Baruch Goldstein clearly contradict the teachings of Christianity and Judaism, respectively.
It is inconceivable that the religion of Islam, which takes its teachings from the noble Prophets such as Abraham, Moses, Jesus, and Muhammad - peace be upon all of them - would ever teach terrorism or suicide missions. In reality, Islam not only condemns terrorism and suicide missions, but also prohibits them completely. Thus, many Muslim nations, organizations, and communities all around the world have condemned such actions, hoping never to see its like again.
It is also unfortunate that harassment of various kinds (including shootings, beatings, stone throwing, robberies, vandalism, death threats and hate language) has occurred against innocent Muslims resident in the United States – the elderly, women and children alike. In addition, Islamic places of worship and Muslim owned businesses have now become the targets of some peoples’ anger and ignorance, just as the American people had become the targets of the anger and ignorance of the perpetrators of the World Trade Center attacks. Such bigotry and hatred is inhumane and unjustified.
We denounce the killing of innocent civilians in the United States, just as we have patiently for many years denounced the killing of innocent civilians in Bosnia, Chechnya, Kashmir, Palestine, India and other countries.
May God, Almighty, the One without any associates or partners in His Divinity, guide us all to the

Truth and spread peace throughout the earth. Ameen.
Old September 1, 2003, 09:12   #12
Elok
Emperor

Where's Sava when you need him? Still banned?
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old September 1, 2003, 09:21   #13
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 19:05
Quote:
Read this please:
Summary.
Old September 1, 2003, 09:34   #14
Makeo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Quote:
Read this please:
Summary.
muslim not equal pyscho terrorist
Old September 1, 2003, 10:09   #15
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by rina
This phenomenon indicates that Islam is truly a religion from God. It is unreasonable to think that so many American converted to Islam without careful consideration and deep contemplation before concluding that Islam is true.* These Americans came from different classes, races and walks of life.* They include scientists, professors, philosophers, journalists, doctors, nurses, teachers, artists, lawmakers, chefs, laborers, and every other sort of person imaginable.

DL DANCE
Old September 1, 2003, 10:50   #16
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

"This phenomenon indicates that Islam is truly a religion from God."

Crack cocaine attracts new converts by the thousands too, are we to consider cocaine a gift from god? Yes, because it wouldn't exist unless god had made it.

To say that Islam is truly a religion from god is to imply that other religions are not. Which is, of course, ridiculous.

p.s. Eblis rocks my world.
Albert Speer
Old September 1, 2003, 12:10   #17
:) Smiley
Emperor

Now whose DL do you suppose this is?
Old September 1, 2003, 12:11   #18
C0ckney
King

ok, who's up for running the book on whose DL this is?

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old September 1, 2003, 12:13   #19
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 02:05
First Name -rina
Last Name rod

That's all his/her profile gives us. It might be a clue, however...

Old September 1, 2003, 12:22   #20
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
This phenomenon indicates that Islam is truly a religion from God. It is unreasonable to think that so many American converted to Islam without careful consideration and deep contemplation before concluding that Islam is true.*
DL!

Look you brain damaged DL. Time had an excellent article after 9/11 about "The face of Islam in America" the main conclusion was that 90% of the population growth in Islam is from immigration. Now take your DL troll and shove it.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 1, 2003, 12:26   #21
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Makeo
muslim not equal pyscho terrorist
You are of course right. Sometimes though the poverty and lack of education in the Muslim world makes it seem other wise. We must remember that the psychos and murdering fundamentalists are only a small, but constantly present, part of the Muslim community.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 1, 2003, 12:29   #22
Solly
Emperor

Diell, Makeo.
Old September 1, 2003, 13:14   #23
The Templar
Prince

Re: Culture
Quote:
Although religion is no longer dominates everyday life in Western society, Islam becomes the fastest-growing religion in America and in the world?
So one form of ignorance is growing faster than other forms. Big deal ...
Old September 1, 2003, 16:11   #24
Heresson
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 10:05
Islam spreads rapidly for several reasons, but the most important is high birth rate. Another one is that today, in Christian countries, one can choose the religion they like, and most of people won't dare to criticise them, for political correctness. Muslim countries aren't on the same level of religious freedom, not even Turkey.

Is Islam religion of peace? I doubt it. Not for New York even.
But because of Muhammad himself. He was the one to praise in the name of God the massacre commited on Jews in Madina. Of entire Jewish tribe, only some two people were left alive... Even if they did betray him, which isn't at all sure, did they deserve their fate? Also, Muhammad used to use the euthority of God for his personal goals, as when "God" cleared A'isha (who he married when she was 7 in fact) of charges against her, or when He ordered his (Muhammad's) adopted son to leave his wife (Zaynab), so that Muhammad could marry her himself.
I am a sinner, a great sinner, and I do know that. But I do not claim I am a prophet. And Muhammad?

Quote:
To say that Islam is truly a religion from god is to imply that other religions are not. Which is, of course, ridiculous.
Not at all, in fact.

Quote:
We denounce the killing of innocent civilians in the United States, just as we have patiently for many years denounced the killing of innocent civilians in Bosnia, Chechnya, Kashmir, Palestine, India and other countries.
This is silly

Quote:
The closer we examine this development the more extraordinary does it appear. The other great religions won
their way slowly, by painful struggle and finally triumphed with the aid of powerful monarchs converted to the
new faith. Christianity had its Constantine, Buddhism its Asoka, and Zoroastrianism its Cyrus, each lending to
his chosen cult the mighty force of secular authority. Not so Islam. Arising in a desert land sparsely inhabited
by a nomad race previously undistinguished in human...
(from the link)
This is, in fact, a reason for me not to believe in "Islam";
while Jesus can't be blamed for the mistakes implanted in his religion, Muhammad can.
And when it comes to the "Miraculous spreading" of the islam, the fact is that it spread, unlike early Christianity,
by the sword. If not the conquests of Umar and Umayyads, Islam would probably never leave Arabian penisula. Under its own state, Islam had good conditions to grow. Chirstianity, however, had to struggle, and it defeated and "conquered" not by sword, but by the force of the Word itself, the lands of the greatest philosophs,
and the greatest empire in the word. IT is astounding,
not simple military victories and luring people to the religion by material profits later on.
Old September 1, 2003, 16:27   #25
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Heresson
Is Islam religion of peace? I doubt it. Not for New York even.
But because of Muhammad himself. He was the one to praise in the name of God the massacre commited on Jews in Madina. Of entire Jewish tribe, only some two people were left alive... Even if they did betray him, which isn't at all sure, did they deserve their fate? Also, Muhammad used to use the euthority of God for his personal goals, as when "God" cleared A'isha (who he married when she was 7 in fact) of charges against her, or when He ordered his (Muhammad's) adopted son to leave his wife (Zaynab), so that Muhammad could marry her himself.
Amen, brother man. All religions are filled with hateful little bigots but Islam is worse then most.
Old September 1, 2003, 16:46   #26
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

islam is a crappy religion.

there I said it. It had to be said.
Old September 1, 2003, 17:06   #27
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 02:05
No i didn't, anymore than any bigoted statement needs to be said.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old September 1, 2003, 17:41   #28
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin

Amen, brother man. All religions are filled with hateful little bigots but Islam is worse then most.
I disagree. The other religions are no less bigoted than Islam.
Old September 1, 2003, 17:47   #29
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
He was the one to praise in the name of God the massacre commited on Jews in Madina. Of entire Jewish tribe, only some two people were left alive... Even if they did betray him, which isn't at all sure, did they deserve their fate?
There are a number of caveats of this story that anti-Moslem propaganda usually leaves out.
1. This story was recorded by only one chronicler of the period. Either all of the others seemed to have ignored the story or it didn't happen. In its specific details, it also is extremely similar with an earlier story (Biblical IIRC), which points towards the latter explanation. Assuming that I'm mistaken:
2. According to the story, Mohammed's actions in this instance were in the capacity of a man, not a prophet. In other words, they weren't divinely inspired, merely political.
3. Only one Jewish tribe tribe (which as you mentioned renegged on their agreement, and betrayed their fellow Medinians to the Meccan invaders) was targetted, and only the men were killed (the women and children were enslaved).
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old September 1, 2003, 18:01   #30
Tuberski

This is going to be Comrade Tassadar's DL, just a hunch though.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."