View Poll Results: Which threads should be topped?
Government - YES 5 6.25%
Government - NO 1 1.25%
Turn Reports - YES 6 7.50%
Turn Reports - NO 1 1.25%
Orders - YES 6 7.50%
Orders - NO 1 1.25%
Registration - YES 7 8.75%
Registration - NO 1 1.25%
Prime Functions Office - YES 4 5.00%
Prime Functions Office - NO 3 3.75%
Internal Affairs Office - YES 3 3.75%
Internal Affairs Office - NO 4 5.00%
External Affairs Office - YES 3 3.75%
External Affairs Office - NO 4 5.00%
3D Offices - YES 2 2.50%
3D Offices - NO 5 6.25%
Welcome Thread - YES 2 2.50%
Welcome Thread - NO 6 7.50%
Constitution - YES 4 5.00%
Constitution - NO 3 3.75%
FAQ - YES 5 6.25%
FAQ - NO 3 3.75%
Cybobanana 1 1.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 1, 2003, 06:18   #1
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 08:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Topped Threads
Ok, there has been much discussion recently about the number of topped threads. While I think they are absolutely necessary to run the game, and take up less than a third the first page, others feel differently. Therefore please decide what should be topped. We have 8 currently (the first 8 in the poll) topped.

Your options are:
  • Government thread
  • Turn Reports
  • Orders
  • Registration
  • Prime Functions Office
  • Internal Affairs Office
  • External Affairs Office
  • 3D Offices
  • Welcome Thread
  • Constitution (when finished)
  • FAQ (If written)

Please voted yes or no for each. You have 3 days.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old September 1, 2003, 06:39   #2
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

It is my opinion that all but the Welcome thread is needed to be topped.

The Government thread tells anyone who views it who the government is. It is important, but we could use a link to it if needs be. Precident from ACDG1 as also topped then.

The Turn Reports thread is essential, as we need to be be able to see what has been done in that turn, and it is posted in increasingly sporadically. Precident from ACDG1 as also topped then.

The Orders thread is also essential, as I don't want to have to trawl through many threads trying to find the orders, and I need it there to be able to be read and easily posted to, so that orders stay current. Precident from ACDG1 as also topped then.

The Registration thread is needed to show who are members, and to be easily accessable to all who join. Precident from ACDG1 as also topped then.

The Prime Functions Office needs to be topped, as the Turn Report is for reporting the turn only, and thus any discussion needs to be there. As Prime Function, I need to be able to view it easily, yet it is not a vastly used thread.

The External Affairs and Internal Affairs Office need to be topped since in the last ACDG, they were very hard to find when it was needed to request something from a director. They are needed to be available for Functions to bring things up and suggest things to Officials, but are not used that often. We will have to sift through to find them otherwise.

The 3D offices thread is needed topped to be able to submit articles to. We need articles, so it keeps it fresh in people's mind there, and is essential if we are to keep creating it.

The Welcome thread could be useful, being that it is the first pointof call for all new members, who may be daunted by all the threads. It is the place to ask questions. However, like the Rec Commons, it was never topped in the last ACDG, so maybe better to leave it. I favour topping, but it is not essential like some others.

The Constitution, when finished, will very rarely be posted to, but is needed to be easily read. It is essential to have it topped IMHO, as we all need to be able to access it without searching through pages and pages for it.

The FAQ is the same, and is almost never posted too. We need to help new members, and this is the way to do it IMHO. Have an FAQ and top it.

Basically, I think we need the top 8 to run the game efficiently. As PF I would have a hard time doing my job without my office, the orders thread and the turn report thread topped. As Editor of 3D it would be difficult without the 3D offices up there. I think the officials threads are needed to play the game, since if I, as PF, want to suggest something to an official, or request an order, I need the threads there. Others are needed for new members, so they don't have to search (which they won't) for how to play the game. Also, what is the problem with them? So we have 8 topped threads. That's still 17 non-topped threads on the first page. Where's the inconvenience? These are the threads that play the game, and are needed to be accessable. We could use links to cut it down, but why? We then have to remember which links are where, and find the other thread. This is a lot of inconvenience when all we need is to top it. You may say they'll be on the first page anyway, but then why does it matter if they are at the top or not? At the top makes sure they're on the first page. IMHO it is essential that we keep these 8 topped, but it is up to you. If you decide that the orders and turn report thread cannot be topped, then I am not sure how to do my job. It just seems silly and inefficient to un-top them when it is a lot of inconvenience to try to find them without any reward IMHO. But as I said, it's up to you.

Old September 1, 2003, 07:30   #3
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 10:05
The three offices (PF, IAF, EAF), the 3D thread and the constitution could be all linked to from the Government thread. I find it more efficient to have one topped thread from where we can access most important - but rarely posted in - threads, instead of topping each and everyone of those threads, which forces you to scroll down to access the threads that are posted in. That deletes the purpose of topping threads: drawing attention to a limited number of threads.
Old September 1, 2003, 08:50   #4
Drogue
staff

Yes, a limited number. I think less than 1/3 of the first page is a limited number. And scrolling down vs going through extra links, when these are also threads that are posted in quite a bit, and thus would usually be somewhere near the front. I suppose it would work, but I think we need the Prime Functions office and the Turn Report thread next to each other, as one is the discussion for the other. We could link the 2, which I will do if it is voted down. I just don't think that scrolling down 8 lines is a disadvantage, when it means we have the threads we will be lookig for a lot near the top.

Old September 1, 2003, 11:32   #5
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

voted...to lazy to say what
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old September 1, 2003, 11:55   #6
Phenix
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Morgan
Warlord

Local Time: 09:05
Seems to me like most are really necesary (besides, they don't take up that much space anyway...)

Only things i can see leaving out:
-the 'welcome' thread: I only joined today and i don't have that much trouble finding my way around here... it's already starting to look organized
-the Constitution: not really a need to post anything there, maybe just link it??
Old September 1, 2003, 15:21   #7
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

The Hive is able to run their government with 5 threads.

I mean come now, if the Hive can do it, so can CyCon
Old September 1, 2003, 16:00   #8
Chaunk
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Voted with the majority it seems, except for on one or two threads. C'est la vie I guess!

C
Old September 1, 2003, 16:53   #9
Corellion
ACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 03:05
Who's trying to untop both Drogue's and my threads? How will we properly govern?
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one.
Old September 2, 2003, 06:56   #10
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
The Hive is able to run their government with 5 threads.

I mean come now, if the Hive can do it, so can CyCon
The Hive have turnchats, and so many offices they couldn't do one for each though. Also the Hive have so much spam for things like Pravda that they won't need them topped. Also, the hive are inefficient and we are not The Hive should get some more topped threads.

Also Tass, I presume that like Googlie you will refrain from voting in our polls, since you are not a member of the CyCon. You may be a God, and this need to see the forums, but you are not a CyCon member and thus do not have voting privilages. If you have voted, please PM me with your choices and they will be removed.

Quote:
Originally posted by Corellion
Who's trying to untop both Drogue's and my threads? How will we properly govern?
Well, I think they're Maniac and your threads now, since the Prime Functions Office is where I now reside

However, would it be possible to have a veto, that if the director in question wants their thread topped, they are allowed to. I had invisioned that the office threads would contain links to the latest polls and discussions and linking the office throught he government makes it overly complicated trying to find the latest polls, especially for the officer who wants to post the results of them. Thus if Corellion feels strongly that his office stay topped, as I could imagine, then would I be allowed to go with him, since it is his office, and affects him more than anyone else. Especially if it's close, as it is now.

Last edited by Drogue; September 3, 2003 at 07:31.
Old September 2, 2003, 09:15   #11
Corellion
ACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 03:05
Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
The Hive Well, I think they're Maniac and your threads now, since the Prime Functions Office is where I now reside
Indeed you are correct. My apologies to both you and Maniac.
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one.
Old September 4, 2003, 00:32   #12
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue

The Hive have turnchats, and so many offices they couldn't do one for each though. Also the Hive have so much spam for things like Pravda that they won't need them topped. Also, the hive are inefficient and we are not The Hive should get some more topped threads.
Exactly! CyCon should embrace spam, too

Quote:
Also Tass, I presume that like Googlie you will refrain from voting in our polls, since you are not a member of the CyCon. You may be a God, and this need to see the forums, but you are not a CyCon member and thus do not have voting privilages. If you have voted, please PM me with your choices and they will be removed.
I'm so sorry it'll never happen again people forgive me I love you and Ill give you a fun new game called SWINESWEEPER.EXE and it'll be fun if you just forgive me
Old September 4, 2003, 15:04   #13
Drogue
staff

It's fine. I forgot to ask you before, my bad

However that means remove 1 "no" from each, which means we have a tie on the offices. Therefore it is probably up to me, being the Mod. However if the director asks for it to be untopped, I will, though I think Corellion alreayd asked for it to stay up. Maniac, topped or not for EAF office (the other 2 will be IIRC)?

Old September 4, 2003, 16:21   #14
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 10:05
If Tassadar votes "no" on each, then who was the one who only voted for a few of the threads?

Anyway, personally I don't mind right now the EAF thread is topped, as the IMHO maximum of seven topped threads isn't broken. However when one other thread becomes topped, such as the nominations thread in a few weeks, then I would ask to detop the EAF thread.