Old September 2, 2003, 09:40   #1
Jules
Warlord

Local Time: 03:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
We're all gonna die!!...uhm...in 2014, that is.
Quote:
Giant asteroid could hit Earth in 2014
Tuesday, September 2, 2003 Posted: 7:29 AM EDT (1129 GMT)

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- A giant asteroid is heading for Earth and could hit in 2014, U.S. astronomers have warned British space monitors.

But for those fearing Armageddon, don't be alarmed -- the chances of a catastrophic collision are just one in 909,000.

Asteroid "2003 QQ47" will be closely monitored over the next two months. Its potential strike date is March 21, 2014, but astronomers say that any risk of impact is likely to decrease as further data is gathered.

On impact, it could have the effect of 20 million Hiroshima atomic bombs, a spokesman for the British government's Near Earth Object Information Centre told BBC radio.

The Centre issued the warning about the asteroid after the giant rock was first observed in New Mexico by the Lincoln Near Earth Asteroid Research Program.

"The Near Earth Object will be observable from Earth for the next two months and astronomers will continue to track it over this period," said Dr Alan Fitzsimmons, one of the expert team advising the Centre.

Asteroids such as 2003 QQ47 are chunks of rock left over from the formation of the solar system 4.5 billion years ago. Most are kept at a safe distance from the Earth in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter.

But the gravitational influence of giant planets such as Jupiter can nudge asteroids out of these safe orbits and send them plunging towards Earth.
Time enough I think to organize world government and reconfigure all our nukes so that they're aiming at outer space.
Old September 2, 2003, 09:43   #2
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Good, I hope it wipes us out...
Old September 2, 2003, 09:44   #3
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:07
Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
Yes, but would that be time to adjust our nukes for deep-range, long term space flight in order to hit this big rock or shall we fire at it when it's actually above a major city?
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old September 2, 2003, 09:45   #4
Paul Hanson
King

Wow, we have a Near Earth Object Information Centre? Good to know that they've got their priorities right.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old September 2, 2003, 09:45   #5
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 08:07
Only Ben Affleck and Bruce Willis can save us now!
Old September 2, 2003, 09:48   #6
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 01:07
If it hits LA then I'm cool with it.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 2, 2003, 09:50   #7
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
I'm hoping for Texas. ::fingerscrossedsmiley::
Old September 2, 2003, 10:34   #8
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I am always amused by this sort of quote

Quote:
astronomers say that any risk of impact is likely to decrease as further data is gathered.
What happens when they get one where the risk of impact goes up as they gather more data? Anyway, how does gathering the data alter the path of the asteroid so it doesn't hit us - either it is on a collision course or it isn't.
Old September 2, 2003, 11:04   #9
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 02:07
Sample size. We can have more confidence on the asteroid's path if we had (say) 300 data points, as opposed to (say) 30.
Old September 2, 2003, 11:13   #10
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 11:07
Why do they even keep reporting that stuff? I'm getting tired. As always, in a month they will say the the asteroid will pass earth.

If they were to observe something and find out the chances are 1 in a 1000, well, then announce.
Old September 2, 2003, 11:19   #11
Soul Survivor
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Vlad Antlerkov
Sample size. We can have more confidence on the asteroid's path if we had (say) 300 data points, as opposed to (say) 30.
and because its still quite far away from us, even slight differences (errors) could be hundreds of thousands of miles
Old September 2, 2003, 11:21   #12
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
If they were to observe something and find out the chances are 1 in a 1000, well, then announce.
Because if they announce stuff people (dumb people) will get scared. The people will then demand that their govermnet do something about this, thus securing funding for the programmes.
Old September 2, 2003, 11:22   #13
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 19:07
And they get interviewed when their story is put in the paper. It makes them feel important.
Old September 2, 2003, 11:26   #14
CerberusIV
lifer
Emperor

And if it turns out that this particular rock has our planet's name on it? What then? Nuke it and turn it into a shower of irradiated smaller rocks? 10 years isn't very long to figure out a reliable way of diverting an asteroid when the current state of progress is a bunch of whacky proposals on how it might be done by people who would like the money to indulge in further speculation.
Old September 2, 2003, 11:28   #15
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by CerberusIV
10 years isn't very long to figure out a reliable way of diverting an asteroid when the current state of progress is a bunch of whacky proposals on how it might be done by people who would like the money to indulge in further speculation.
Stop it? Why'd you want to do that? Use the time to scout out a good seat.

Do It Ourselves
Old September 2, 2003, 11:30   #16
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

I wonder if there are any reliable calculations that suggest whether nuking an asteroid would have any effect or not?
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old September 2, 2003, 11:31   #17
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 19:07
I'll make sure I'm wearing a really good hat. And steel-capped boots. Then I will be alright.
Old September 2, 2003, 11:33   #18
CerberusIV
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld

I was just imagining a scenario where it could not be diverted from hitting Earth but could be diverted enough to affect where it hits, say China or North America.

So NASA land a small rocket on the asteroid and push it towards China. The Chinese land a rocket and push it towards the USA.....

Apologies if my sense of humour offends anyone.
Old September 2, 2003, 11:34   #19
The Pioneer
Prince

We should get all politicians and extremists on an island and then send Bruce and Ben up there to help guide that big rock dead on this island
Old September 2, 2003, 11:38   #20
Oerdin
Deity

Hell, I'll be busy stock piling Spam in a cave so when the Asteroid hits it will just be me an OBL left.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 2, 2003, 11:40   #21
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
It would be time to max out the credit cards and take out a loan. Then you party it up like it's 1999 again.
Old September 2, 2003, 11:42   #22
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:

It would be time to max out the credit cards and take out a loan. Then you party it up like it's 1999 again.
I said, why'd you want to stop it? Maxing out your credit cards and going into huge debt is a sure fire way to make sure it doesn't hit.

Do It Ourselves
Old September 2, 2003, 11:44   #23
Japher
Emperor

Maybe Taco Bell will throw a big target somewhere, and if it hits the target we'll all get free tacos!!!!
Old September 2, 2003, 11:44   #24
The diplomat
King

Quote:
yeah, I bet a lot of guys could get lucky!
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old September 2, 2003, 11:45   #25
The diplomat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
Maybe Taco Bell will throw a big target somewhere, and if it hits the target we'll all get free tacos!!!!
I could almost see them actually doing that!
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
Old September 2, 2003, 11:52   #26
Oerdin
Deity

[Taco Bell dog]
Viva Gorditos!
[/Taco Bell dog]
Old September 2, 2003, 12:05   #27
The diplomat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH
I wonder if there are any reliable calculations that suggest whether nuking an asteroid would have any effect or not?
A nuke detonated in deep space would not produce a shockwave, only radiation. So a nuke would only be effective against an asteroid if it detonated right on the surface or inside.
Old September 2, 2003, 13:04   #28
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 10:07
Let's have a show of hands: If a thing this big hits, how many here actually think that humanity can do anything about it?

I say no. We have no chance. There's no technology available. nor is any technology likely to emerge within the next twelve years that will counter a threat like this.

Nukes??

It'll just laugh and keep on coming.

Asmodean
Old September 2, 2003, 13:11   #29
Cookie Monster
King

We need Kirak (Capt. Kirk) and Miramani to go into the obelisk thingy and appease the god's so that the asteroid won't hit us.

Any Trekkies out there remember that episode?
Old September 2, 2003, 13:30   #30
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 04:07
Quote:
If it hits LA you probably shouldn't even be on the West Coast...
Get Rich or Die Tryin'