Old September 2, 2003, 13:31   #31
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 04:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Asmodean
Let's have a show of hands: If a thing this big hits, how many here actually think that humanity can do anything about it?

I say no. We have no chance. There's no technology available. nor is any technology likely to emerge within the next twelve years that will counter a threat like this.

Nukes??

It'll just laugh and keep on coming.

Asmodean
Don't be silly. The smallest nuke we have would be enough to knock it completely out of its collision course (as long as we were to detonate it with a few years to spare).
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old September 2, 2003, 13:32   #32
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 00:07
Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
Why do they even keep reporting that stuff? I'm getting tired. As always, in a month they will say the the asteroid will pass earth.

If they were to observe something and find out the chances are 1 in a 1000, well, then announce.
maybe it was a slow news day and had nothing else to report.
Old September 2, 2003, 13:33   #33
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Local Time: 03:07
Quote:
Let's have a show of hands: If a thing this big hits, how many here actually think that humanity can do anything about it?

Nukes?? [IMG]

Asmodean
Actually, I think we might have enough quantity of warheads, thank the cold war. All we would need is a delivery system, and we might be able to manage that in a decade or so.

The amusing thing about this thread is its assumption that we won't find another way to kill ourselves off in the meantime...

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old September 2, 2003, 13:35   #34
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 00:07
For those of you wishing the asteroid to hit LA for Texas, first off I live around LA area, not too far from the city and I would most likely die if it hit. Second all of you would most likely die anyways from the after effects and most likely strave to death while those of us in the impact site would die right away, so be carefull what you wish for.

An asteroid would mostly likely come down in the ocean since 2/3 of the planet is covered with water.
Old September 2, 2003, 13:40   #35
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 08:07
Quote:

I say no. We have no chance. There's no technology available. nor is any technology likely to emerge within the next twelve years that will counter a threat like this.
Nukes??

Asmodean
Nukes would probably work, as well as other methods. You only have to knock it off course by a smidge. I've even heard of scenario where you could splatter it with the equivalent of a giant paint ball, which would affect its heat absorption, and cause it to go off course.

Jac.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old September 2, 2003, 13:52   #36
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Ooh-ooh!!

I'm all for the Giant Paintball Method !!
(plus, it would be a great name for a rock band).

Old September 2, 2003, 13:59   #37
reds4ever
Prince

Local Time: 09:07
But they add the chances of it doing so are just one in 909,000.

What is more, any risk of an impact is likely to decrease as further
data is gathered, they say.

Credible threat

The BBC's science correspondent Christine McGourty says that, although the chances this asteroid will hit the Earth are slim, it is
considered worth monitoring due to its sheer size and velocity.

The rock is said to measure approximately two thirds of a mile across- only one tenth of the size of the meteor thought to have wiped out the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.

It is travelling at a speed of about 20 miles per second.

"In theory such an asteroid could cause devastation across an entire continent," Christine McGourty says.

It has been labelled "2003 QQ 47" and astronomers will be monitoring it closely for the next two months.
Old September 2, 2003, 14:01   #38
DanielXY
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 09:07
Hm, why would everyone die? I mean sure Those ppl. near the impact would die...
Ok the theory is a big dust cloud would kill all plant live cose lack of sun. What about if the rock hits the ocean? No Dust cloud than?
Anyways if you live far enough away from impact you could make it. I mean you can grow plants with electric lights. You would still get electricity from the usuall methods used today, no sun needed. You can feed your animals with your plants. Feed yourself with the plants + dead animals. Sure it gets cold with no sun. But heating is still avaibel for you, your plants and animals.

We dont need the Sun!
Old September 2, 2003, 14:42   #39
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 01:07
that gives me 11 years to get as much ***** as I can
Old September 2, 2003, 14:50   #40
-Jrabbit
Deity

As always in a crisis --

Some would try save the world.
Some woud just try to get high and/or get laid.

It was ever thus...

Old September 2, 2003, 19:20   #41
Jules
Warlord

*bumped for Thorn*
Old September 2, 2003, 20:09   #42
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 18:07
Quote:
Originally posted by DanielXY
Hm, why would everyone die? I mean sure Those ppl. near the impact would die...
Ok the theory is a big dust cloud would kill all plant live cose lack of sun. What about if the rock hits the ocean? No Dust cloud than?
There would be no dust, that's true.

But if it were to hit the ocean, all I can say is:

SURF'S UP!!!

And then most coastal cities overlooking that part of the ocean would be wiped out.
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old September 2, 2003, 21:40   #43
Oerdin
Deity

it wouldn't be so bad if it hit the artic ocean.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 2, 2003, 22:06   #44
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 02:07
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
Good, I hope it wipes us out...
naaaahh... i just hope it wipes you out
Old September 2, 2003, 22:49   #45
geeslaka
Prince

I'm with Sava on this one.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old September 2, 2003, 23:46   #46
MrFun
Emperor

Any chance that this asteroid can just take out Texas?
Old September 2, 2003, 23:48   #47
Qilue
King

Local Time: 18:07
An analogy of an asteroid hitting the ocean. (someone with greater knowledge of scaling could give more accuracy)

Imagine shooting a rifle (.223 remington) vertically into a shallow pond (say 12cm deep). How much mud would be sprayed around?

Moral, there would be dust along with an extremely big tsunami. An asteroid impact on land would cause less damage (both short and long term) than one hitting the ocean.

Long term effects - First the dust would reduce sunlight below levels needed for photosynthesis, thus the plants and phyto-plankton would die. Then slowly up the food chain, each level would starve as it's food source died off. Also, with the carbon cycle broken, co2 levels would begin rising but not significantly enough to prevent a nuclear winter which would kill off almost everything else.

All is not lost since the cockroaches will most likely survive.
Old September 2, 2003, 23:50   #48
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Qilue
An analogy of an asteroid hitting the ocean. (someone with greater knowledge of scaling could give more accuracy)

Imagine shooting a rifle (.223 remington) vertically into a shallow pond (say 12cm deep). How much mud would be sprayed around?

Moral, there would be dust along with an extremely big tsunami. An asteroid impact on land would cause less damage (both short and long term) than one hitting the ocean.

Long term effects - First the dust would reduce sunlight below levels needed for photosynthesis, thus the plants and phyto-plankton would die. Then slowly up the food chain, each level would starve as it's food source died off. Also, with the carbon cycle broken, co2 levels would begin rising but not significantly enough to prevent a nuclear winter which would kill off almost everything else.

All is not lost since the cockroaches will most likely survive.
cool
Old September 3, 2003, 00:24   #49
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 08:07
So all we need concern ourselves is knowing who the antiChrist will be. Should be rising to prominence and establsihing world peace (at least with Israel and the rest of the world) for seven years. The tribulation ensues. Eventually battle of Armageddon culminates with a large rock from the heavens being thrown down.

Any takers on who it will be?

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old September 3, 2003, 01:55   #50
Geronimo
King

I'm fairly sure that even an asteroid that has a larger diameter than the depth of the ocean where it impacts will still vaporize on impact in such a way that the overwhelming majority of the impact would be absorbed by the water rather than the sea floor. What you get is a stupendous steam explosion rather than a huge dust cloud of ocean floor thrown into the stratosphere. There would likely be tremendous disruption of the sea floor directly below impact but nothing at all like the sorts of clouds of dust that would result from a land impact. The tsunamis however would probably be so powerful as to not just obliterate every structure on every shore of the ocean of impact but also wreak lesser havoc on coastal settlements planetwide. I know I've seen some good web sites on this sort of asteroid collision what-if stuff. I'll see if i can dig them up again.
Old September 3, 2003, 02:07   #51
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 04:07
One of these days one of these NEOs will unexpectedly pop up from the far side of the moon.

"Oops! Didn't see that one coming."

Of course, the odds of that happening are... astronomical.

Last edited by Sarxis; September 3, 2003 at 02:14.
Old September 3, 2003, 02:15   #52
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Well, at least it's less than a mile across. Humanity will survive if it hits, although the world afterwards probably won't be a very fun place to live in.

I really wish these scientists would keep it down until they're more sure if the damn thing is going to hit or miss us. It doesn't make much sense to sound the alarm when, by their own admission, they don't have enough data yet to make a firm judgment one way or another on what's going to happen.

Oh, and if it does hit, here's a vote for Antarctica.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old September 3, 2003, 02:17   #53
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Yes Antartica seems like a good choice. Though that would surely cause sea levels to rise at least it wouldn't block out the sun with dust.
Old September 3, 2003, 02:28   #54
Dr. A. Cula
Warlord

Local Time: 11:07
I read some months ago about an asteroid that was supposed to hit Earth sometime in 2017, someshere in Western Europe. Is this the same one, or a new one? If not, what happened to the first one?

Anyway, I remember that, when I read about the first one, there was this bit about it being the first asteroid monitored by astronomers that had a bigger chance than 1 in a million to hit us. If this is a different asteroid, then I guess it's the second object that has a sizable chance to drop by.
Old September 3, 2003, 02:57   #55
Oerdin
Deity

Just think of the massive orgies which would occur if people really thought the world was going to end. It would almost be worth it.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 3, 2003, 03:14   #56
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 10:07
Why even bother to discuss where it's gonna hit. All the movies on this subject can't be wrong. It's gonna hit in, or in close proximity to, the good ole US of A.

Asmodean
Old September 3, 2003, 04:18   #57
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:07
Well, at least it isn't a one in a million chance.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old September 3, 2003, 05:49   #58
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 20:07
Cute.
Old September 3, 2003, 06:00   #59
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 19:07
I'd prefer it hit the arctic. Damn northern hemisphere bastards.
Old September 3, 2003, 14:12   #60
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

But Antarctica is mostly uninhabited by humans! Sure, it'd raise sea levels, but I don't live near a coastline, so big-whoo-de-doo! (Although it'd still raise hell with the weather patterns ... I might find myself living in a new Sahara Desert.)

"The Great American Breadbasket, er Desert"

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius