Old September 2, 2003, 12:14   #1
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Local Time: 03:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
X-Box
I had thought my console days were over, as I had grown tired of paying a couple hundred bucks for the system, and 50 bucks for games, when it would be outdated in a year. However, I've been seriously considering buying an X-box off of ebay, to use as a DVD/CD player, and of course to play games.

So, I guess my questions would be:

1. Are there games on X-Box that are good enough to warrant buying a console that will be replaced in a year or so? For example, Super Nintendo is a decade(?) old, but Final Fantasy III and a few other games continue to draw me back to it. Does X-Box have games of this caliber?

2. What are your favorite games, or, what games would you recommend to me, if/when I purchased an X-Box?

3. Is the X-Box a worthwhile DVD player?

4. Is there anything about the X-Box that will keep you from buying the X-Box' successor, or that would've kept you from buying the X-Box to begin with?
Old September 2, 2003, 12:35   #2
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 10:07
3)

I've heard you needed to buy extra stuff for it, to be able to play DVD movies... but I might be mistaking here... I don't own any consoles...
Old September 2, 2003, 12:38   #3
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 00:07
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
1. Halo and Halo 2 (soon), obviously. Knights of the Old Republic is good. Rallisport Challenge is a wonderful racing game, though not for everyone. Unreal and Wolfenstein are also both very good, especially for online play, though they're still better on the PC.

2. See above

3. Yes, but you have to buy the remote for it to work. I use mine as a DVD player and it works great.

4. Nope, it's great.
Old September 2, 2003, 13:29   #4
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Local Time: 08:07
1. Halo, Morrowind, KOTOR are good.

3. No. You have to pay extra for the DVD module.

4. Games, games, bugs, and games. I had some very bad experiences with my xbox going bad and having it replaced. If you're going to buy one, get a warranty. I don't know what kind of games you like but I'm an RPGer and there are like three games in this field. If you like sports games then maybe the xbox is for you but if truly want a good gaming system, get a PS2. The xbox has great graphics but that's all it has going for it. Plus, the PS2 plays DVDs for free.
Old September 2, 2003, 17:25   #5
geeslaka
Prince

Local Time: 01:07
2. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 is very good.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old September 2, 2003, 20:32   #6
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 04:07
I'll say it again. HALO!

Also, I believe Half Life 2 is coming to XBox. Definitely worthwhile.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old September 2, 2003, 20:56   #7
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Local Time: 03:07
I wonder if PC HALO players would be able to play against X-Box HALO players...
Old September 2, 2003, 22:46   #8
Nostromo
Emperor

1. Not sure about this one. Maybe Halo...

2. Games I enjoyed: Halo, KOTOR, Morrowind, Splinter Cell (it's not exclusively on Xbox anymore, but its still a great game), Fatal Frame, Jet set radio future, Medal of Honor. Games coming up that I will probably enjoy: Halo 2, Deus Ex 2, Fable, Raven shield. Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 are coming up, or so they say. But I'm sceptical.

3. I use it as a DVD player and its good. But you need to buy a remote.

4. No.
Old September 3, 2003, 06:22   #9
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 10:07
Quote:
Originally posted by geeslaka
2. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 is very good.
[offtopic]

Why do I always read this as Tom Hanks' pro skater

[/offtopic]
Old September 3, 2003, 07:14   #10
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

The XBox will last longer than a year. It might be 3 years before they stop making games for it.

The PS2 has been out for a long time now and is only now beginning to come towards the end of it's life. Even that will last for another year or 18 months before it gets canned.
Old September 3, 2003, 17:35   #11
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

I now hate the XBOX. Mine has that faulty CD reader thing. Microsofts cost to replace it?

$100.
Old September 3, 2003, 20:22   #12
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 00:07
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
I now hate the XBOX. Mine has that faulty CD reader thing. Microsofts cost to replace it?

$100.
You don't happen to be playing Morrowind on that Xbox do you? If so it's not the Xbox it's the game. The infamous dirty disc error results from sloppy programming that causes the Xbox's cache to overflow and then the game won't read. If it is the Xbox, then that sucks.

Some Xbox's do break (my friend's did, but he had a warranty so it got replaced) but they're no where near as bad as PS2's. The lenses they put in those things must be the lowest quality pieces of crap, because every PS2 I have ever seen ends up not reading stuff after a year and a half. IIRC, first generation Playstations did that too, then Sony changed a few things about the model that made it better. I can remember having to turn my old playstation upside down to get it to read anything
Old September 3, 2003, 21:00   #13
Nostromo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by BustaMike

The infamous dirty disc error results from sloppy programming that causes the Xbox's cache to overflow and then the game won't read. If it is the Xbox, then that sucks.
I have been playing for about 30 hours and never encountered that problem. The worse bug I encountered was when I got stuck in plants or trees.
Old September 3, 2003, 22:10   #14
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by BustaMike

You don't happen to be playing Morrowind on that Xbox do you? If so it's not the Xbox it's the game. The infamous dirty disc error results from sloppy programming that causes the Xbox's cache to overflow and then the game won't read. If it is the Xbox, then that sucks.
Don't have the game for XBOX. The only games I have are:
Halo
Unreal Tournament 2003

And I only play Halo.
Old September 4, 2003, 10:18   #15
Harry Seldon
King

Quote:

$100.
Warranties are only $50 and they just give you a new xbox. My first one crashed and wouldn't run anything so I turned it in, got a new one, and the free games that came bundled with it. Just buy a warranty, wait a month, and turn it in.
Old September 5, 2003, 15:21   #16
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Well ive been experimenting, the Xbox is my first modern console(my last and first being an Atari). The reason i got it was that i figured i didnt want to spend £800+ on a pc that would be good for gameing, especially as IMHO games are starting to get very 'produced', so many hrs gameplay per buck spent kinda thing.
There are exceptions to the rule but the accountants are in control it seems.
So with the Xbox i can play newer titles that catch my eye, i've always bought origionals so i dont mind the odd £30+ every few months.
I going to get a second hand low spec pc to play the great classics(1990-1997ish), as IMHO i think these games offer better gamplay,challange,value. So i get the best of both worlds, at half the price. Thats the theory anyway

1+2. Four essentials that would make me buy an Xbox over say a PS2, for me are:

Halo1+2
Morrowind
Championship manager
Jet Set Radio

most of the other games ive played are kinda throw away(but it is a console) after you've completed them, but the best of that lot are:

Rocky(best with a friend)
Jedi Knight II(there is a sequel coming i think)
Amped(difficult to get the hang of - maybe the sequel will be better?)

3. I've been happy with the Xbox so far(about 1year old), no problems, paid the £20 or so for the DVD thing, and that works fine with the dvd's ive bought.

4. Well i might not bother with the next Xbox, i havent tried Knights of the Republic yet or the new expansion version to the Morrowind game or Halo2, so lots of good titles that should keep my high resolution needs catered for
I've been pleased with it overall - worth the £140 i spent, and its also a useful anti thief device, if i threw it at them
The Xbox has a harddrive so many of my essential games i mentioned, couldn't be done on the other consoles at present......so it had to be the Xbox for me.
Maybe the warrenty advice is a good idea though?(i didnt take out any additional )
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old September 5, 2003, 16:04   #17
Harry Seldon
King

Are the new Morrowind expansions out yet? I thought they were coming out later this year. Did I miss it?

I'd get the warranty. It IS a Microsoft product, after all, and it has a lot of computer type parts that can break.
Old September 5, 2003, 16:27   #18
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

yeah they(Morrowind Game of the Year) come out later in the year, something to look forward too!
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.