Old September 2, 2003, 15:49   #1
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 02:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The Trappings of War: Volume XXVIII
An UnOrthOdOx View of the Glory of War

The fires of Bilbao at our backs lit our way as we passed upward into the mountains to rejoin the rest of our war party. It did not take long before we caught up with them. The smell of death permeated the air as Ghengis’ troop slowly filed towards the front and we continued on our way. A mixture of pride and fear washed over the faces of some of the younger troops in the party as each of them watched closely as the troop passed by.

“I take it things went well?” Eira asked.

“Of course. He hides in Pamplona, and to Pamplona we ride. Burn everything in our path.”

Eira merely nodded and turned to sound the advance. We rode up through the mountains throughout the night. Peaking once atop a peak overlooking Toledo. Within the city could be seen the rustling of troops and the unmistakable sounds of the dreaded War Chickens. Gathering Storm had a large contingent within the walls of Toledo, ready for a counter attack at any time. As long as we held the high ground, however, they would be at a great disadvantage. Still, it was surprising how quickly they had managed to gather their forces and float them across the great expanse. It did not matter how or why, however, they were here, and they were now the enemy.

The morning sun was now slowly creeping up over the horizon, and we made our way down into a narrow canyon. The cliffs seemed impossibly high on either side and the walls were soon glowing red with the light from the morning sun. The shadows hung long across the flat lay of the canyon floor and an eerie silence clung in the air with the only sound splitting the quiet was the sounds of our horses hooves against the soft clay of the ground beneath them.

The sound of thunder suddenly pierced the silence, reverberating across the canyon walls and echoing far into the distance. We all had stopped in search of a source for the sound, and a flock of birds slowly lifted off into the sky, disturbed from their slumber by the shock. Again the sound echoed off the canyon walls, making it impossible to place a direction to the source.

Then, right before my eyes, I witnessed as a large boulder sailed through the air, smashing against the canyon wall only to burst into a thousand pieces. An instant later, the canyon wall itself began to break apart, large chunks slowly sifting their way free high above us. Catapults. I should have known. Gathering Storm had become famous for their use during the Voxian War.

“Eira!” I cried. “Get everyone out of here. Send word for the last unit to pick up any wounded along their way!”

And with that I spurred my horse forward, an instant before large pieces of the canyon fell onto where I had just been. Looking back, I could see horses and laid out on the canyon floor. This whole canyon was a death trap. The thundering of the falling boulders was deafening, and without respite. My only thought was to get us out and assess the situation.

After what seemed to be hours, the canyon finally gave way to a short incline and we climbed up to the peak of another mountain, well out of range of the catapults firing from within the town of Toledo.

Once the last of the war party made it’s way up to the peak, I was able to see that the damages were nowhere near as severe as it had seemed within the narrow straights of the Canyon. There were a few hundred who were injured, but all would ride again, a few mounts had been injured as well, but we had brought along extras so that was of little consequence as well. I could now see down into the valley beyond. Pamplona was but a short distance across the valley, but in order to reach it, we would be exposing our flank to a counter offensive from the Stormians inside of Toledo.

As we camped there for the evening and attended to the wounded, a lone rider was seen at full gallop from the north.

“Sir, I have word from Lord Aggie, King of the Glory of War.”

Aggie had defeated Panzer in the recent election, then. “And? Get to the point! You think I give a rat’s ass who it is sitting on the throne?”

“He says you should destroy the road network as much as possible, sir.”

“Oh, he does, does he? You ride right back there and tell him that when he feels the need to bring his sorry ass down here to the fight, I might listen to his orders.” And with that, I dismissed the envoy. Still, with our superior horses, it was a good plan. The Stormian Army would be unable to catch up as we crossed the valley.

The morning saw the plan come into action as we stormed into the valley below, laying waste to the roads as we passed them by and regrouping on the far side of the valley atop a set of hills for cover. I ordered the Ravens be sent out, and my heart sank upon their return.

A massive group of Spanish forces awaited in Pamplona to the west, Stormian contingents were being reported in the north, northeast, and southeast. We were outnumbered, and surrounded.

A side note:

A partial reason for the delay of late was I have been unsure how to write of the catapults. Allot of things, I can draw upon either experience or other literary works to inspire me. Catapults were something else as I had never seen anything other than cold accounts of their volleys.

Last night, the local University held a fireworks display. Don't know why. Didn't know it was comming. I listened as the explosions echoed up two seperate canyons at either end of Ogden valley. I knew then that was how I wanted to write it...

Not happy with it at present, may come back and rewrite it some later.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 2, 2003, 18:09   #2
Nuclear Winter
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineSpanish Civers
Prince

Local Time: 05:08
Great Job Unorthodox.
You keep tenting me to try an answer to the trappings of War...
Old September 3, 2003, 16:18   #3
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 04:08
Good stuff, UnO.

Also a big to the Stormian navy, which got all those troops into position so that you guys could run right around them. We shoulda blocked Toledo 2. That one will go down as our biggest mistake to date.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 3, 2003, 17:50   #4
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 10:08
And I don't agree with T2... but my reasons will remain hidden from public for quite a while

I wish this war was over, so that we could write AARs

DeepO
Old September 3, 2003, 18:21   #5
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Agreed, that will indeed be a bit of fun.

I have to say the war has been the most interesting part of the game so far for me. All the trash talking and such aside.

Kinda feels like a giant chess match to this point. We both have sacrificed a few pons and are feeling each other out looking for an upper hand.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 3, 2003, 20:01   #6
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:08
It will be pretty fun after this war is over to see what each side thought the other would do etc. I have been taught that even wars are a product of serious miscalculations by one or both(usually) sides. Unfortunately the exact estimates and calculations that both sides used will not be available until the game is over(or near over) I suspect. But once peace is restored I'm sure general strategies and some specifics will be released. Very similiar to how Vox and GS have released info about their war. I do agree that this war has made the game exciting and interesting for me and I suspect this is true for most everybody who participates or watches this forum.
Aggie
Old September 3, 2003, 21:14   #7
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

To tell the thruth, for me it isn't nearly as exciting as the Voxian war. And I think those 3-move units are partly to blame for that (also the fact that we're not fighting to stay alive right this instant, but because of future chances of losing the game). With the Voxian slowmovers, the tension was a lot higher, as every turn only a few possible options were possible for them. We could counter that much more easily... it was a 'clean' war.

This is a lot more unpredictable, and a lot harder to defend against. You would expect that it would make things more interesting, but it doesn't for me... maybe just some war weariness

Also, we started the Voxian war from an underdog position, while now we're defending the underdog but are relatively safe ourselves. It's just not the same.

DeepO
Old September 3, 2003, 21:30   #8
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Uno - good stuff!

Your depiction of catapults is accurate - from what I can remember of the late war. Very deliberate and expected in our case - but nonetheless still effective and terrifying.

DeepO - oh for a few horsemen during the war....
Old September 3, 2003, 21:51   #9
DeepO
Emperor

I can imagine, Beta. But once we got rolling, a few horses weren't going to cut it, not with most of the battles fought on mountains between 4/2/1 and 3/1 units. But it certainly would have made your pillaging a lot more effective, and made you cover more ground. With our forces, we certainly would have lost a couple of cities before we could have recuperated. But it wasn't meant to be, I guess

DeepO
Old September 3, 2003, 22:30   #10
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Well - maybe I should say...

..oh for a few horsemen, and an earlier start to the war, and ... more committed allies.... .
Old September 3, 2003, 23:09   #11
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Beta
Well - maybe I should say...

..oh for ... more committed allies.... .
The truth begins to be teased out...
Old September 4, 2003, 02:17   #12
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 08:08
Hey... I lost my son in that war....
Old September 4, 2003, 05:55   #13
DeepO
Emperor

donegeal, that was more of a sacrifice to the RNG gods, I still don't understand why you wanted to get rid of an elite horse. Maybe your son came home late the night before, and needed a good beating

DeepO
Old September 4, 2003, 06:40   #14
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 19:08
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

The truth begins to be teased out...

You may not like what you hear ..

Wouldn't it be terrible if you have now aligned yourself with a Voxian ally ?
Old September 4, 2003, 07:12   #15
DeepO
Emperor

Bah, not really... the Voxian war is over, we have no hard feelings left. Only curiosity remains...

DeepO
Old September 4, 2003, 08:43   #16
Donegeal
Emperor

Actually it was crazyghengis. I didn't even knpw my son was on the boat until I heard he was dead...
Old September 4, 2003, 09:03   #17
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

HE - We always suspected RP was helping Vox. At this point, however, it serves no purpose to harp on it (if it is indeed the case, I don't recall really discussing that with RP). You guys actually landed troops in support of Vox, and we were willing to pursue friendly relations with you. In that war, the outside world was either against us or neutral.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 4, 2003, 09:35   #18
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I too have no proof or direct knowledge of RP's involvement.

And I doubt knowing the truth will make any difference in current alliances.

*** Poof - Gone ***

Simple see ...

Last edited by Hot_Enamel; September 4, 2003 at 10:08.
Old September 4, 2003, 10:05   #19
Donegeal
Emperor

Always gotta twist the knife, don't you HE?
Old September 4, 2003, 10:09   #20
Hot_Enamel
Emperor

I'm too tired to argue ..