Old September 3, 2003, 14:31   #1
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 04:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
siege over in afghanistan, 124 taliban killed, BBC ignores
The AP carried this Siege ends

124 taliban killed, to 5 government troops, province remains in govt control.

BBC ignored it naturally

Maybe they'll pick up on the negatives in the article.
Old September 3, 2003, 14:34   #2
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Local Time: 03:10

The Taliban was one of the most disgusting regimes in history. Its always nice to die-hard fanatics who want to bring it back defeated.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old September 3, 2003, 14:55   #3
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 01:10
I can't find anything regarding that story on BBC either.
Old September 3, 2003, 14:56   #4
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 03:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Shi Huangdi

The Taliban was one of the most disgusting regimes in history. Its always nice to die-hard fanatics who want to bring it back defeated.
and Bush was willing to let them be if they gave up bin Laden... the Northern Alliance ain't no picnic either...
Old September 3, 2003, 15:07   #5
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 02:10
interestingly, I could not find anything on this in the front page of the NY Times either, and have to dig into the AP news collection to see anything about it. Of the front page of CNN. Or the washington post!

Damn BBC! I mean, given that the AP seems the only news agency with this at this time, and given that, well, even though no Brits are involved whatsoever, obviuously it MUST BE the BBC's frontpage, otherwise it is a blatant show of BBC bias!!!
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old September 3, 2003, 15:13   #6
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
interestingly, I could not find anything on this in the front page of the NY Times either, and have to dig into the AP news collection to see anything about it. Of the front page of CNN. Or the washington post!

Damn BBC! I mean, given that the AP seems the only news agency with this at this time, and given that, well, even though no Brits are involved whatsoever, obviuously it MUST BE the BBC's frontpage, otherwise it is a blatant show of BBC bias!!!
didnt have to be on the Beeb front page. Wasnt on the south asia page either. Not even in the side listings.

Of course it doesnt make CNN - CNN has only a handful of foreign stories - ditto the WaPo. CNN is to busy covering the Kobe Bryant affair, and the WaPo is busy with the commercialization of the mall.

Beeb on the other hand consistently gives extenisve, detailed coverage of LOTS of stories around the world. And plenty that have nothing to do with Britain. Hell, thats why I read them regularly. So its just a tad more significant when they dont cover something that the AP does. Like they ALWAYS manage to cover when something goes wrong in Afghanistan.

And sometimes when something goes right - but not much less often. So when they DO say something has gone right, i tend to see that as the tip of the iceberg.
Old September 3, 2003, 15:16   #7
lord of the mark
Deity

somehow the Beeb south asia page DID manage to make room for this:

"An Indian court rules that film star, Salman Khan, will not face homicide charges over a fatal car accident"

I dont think either CNN, WaPo, or the NYT covered this important case.
Old September 3, 2003, 15:17   #8
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 02:10
It wasn;t anywhere in the washington post either, whatsoever.

So the BBC is to be held to a higher standard than most other news orgs, and if it does not meet a determined level, it is a roof of bias?

Maybe that newsbref was given only to an AP man and none of the other news orgs have yet picked it up? It couldn;t possibly be anything so pedestrian, now could it?
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old September 3, 2003, 15:17   #9
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:10
Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
CNN gets off because it's covering a sports scandal yet poor Auntie Beeb gets picked on despite the fact that we are currently having a major government inquiry that's got the Prime Minister and the Director General of the BBC being called to give statements?

I'm willing to give the BBC a bit of slack right now considering all that they are involved with. Hutton Inquiry, the Charter Renewal, and beating back the usual mob up on Edinburgh that wants to tear it to pieces.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old September 3, 2003, 15:19   #10
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
It wasn;t anywhere in the washington post either, whatsoever.

So the BBC is to be held to a higher standard than most other news orgs, and if it does not meet a determined level, it is a roof of bias?

Maybe that newsbref was given only to an AP man and none of the other news orgs have yet picked it up? It couldn;t possibly be anything so pedestrian, now could it?
well that true of the last report of 124 taliban dead - the battles been going on for several days though, with regular reports, nothing i can see from the Beeb on it at all. ISTR seeing at least something in the deadtree WaPo on it.
Old September 3, 2003, 15:21   #11
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Starchild
CNN gets off because it's covering a sports scandal yet poor Auntie Beeb gets picked on despite the fact that we are currently having a major government inquiry that's got the Prime Minister and the Director General of the BBC being called to give statements?

I'm willing to give the BBC a bit of slack right now considering all that they are involved with. Hutton Inquiry, the Charter Renewal, and beating back the usual mob up on Edinburgh that wants to tear it to pieces.
i was being sarcastic about CNN - CNN gets off cause its international coverage is so paltry, a couple of Iraq stories, Nkor, and arafat easily displace anything else. Beeb manages to cover trials of Indian film stars on their south asia page. And regularly covers any BAD news from Afghan, no matter how minor.
Old September 3, 2003, 15:23   #12
MOBIUS
Emperor

Local Time: 18:10
Do I detect an anti BBC bias from LotD?

Why is that - what has the BBC done to piss you off?

BTW that more Taliban have been gotten rid of, but if the US had been concentrating its efforts on finishing the Taliban off perhaps Afghanistan would be a safer country already?

Nah, why tie up the loose ends when you can f*ck up another totally unrelated country first...
Old September 3, 2003, 15:24   #13
lord of the mark
Deity

lets put it this way if Beeb covered howard Dean, and overlooked John Kerrys announcement, and CNN did the same thing, i might accuse CNN of bias, but not BBC. Considering that BBC covers US politics less extensively than CNN does. Wel BBC covers South Asia much more closely than ANY mainstream US news source - or, AFAIK, any mainstream english language source outside South Asia. So if they miss something, its not particularly relevant that CNN missed it too.
Old September 3, 2003, 15:45   #14
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MOBIUS
Do I detect an anti BBC bias from LotD?

Why is that - what has the BBC done to piss you off?

:
nothing - i luv the Beeb

Beeb and Foxnews, together, give balanced reporting

Its just that when using a news source its helpful to know its bias. Which i pointed out some weeks ago when linking to a BBC story about good news in afganistan - conditions improving in Kandahar, i think it was. Some didnt seem to understand what i meant - this is largely for their benefit.
Old September 3, 2003, 15:50   #15
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 01:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
and Bush was willing to let them be if they gave up bin Laden... the Northern Alliance ain't no picnic either...
If I must choice between a really disgusting evil and a sort of bad evil guess which I will take?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 3, 2003, 16:01   #16
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

The Beeb is not as far to the left as Fox is to the right. People's Weekly World is maybe that far to the left.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 3, 2003, 16:10   #17
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 10:10
Oh trust me, the Beeb, coupled with the Guardian, are amongst the most lefty a non-proclaimed communist can be
Old September 3, 2003, 16:11   #18
chequita guevara
Emperor

I'll give you the Guardian, but not the Beeb. It's not our fault the truth favors the left.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 3, 2003, 16:11   #19
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark

well that true of the last report of 124 taliban dead - the battles been going on for several days though, with regular reports, nothing i can see from the Beeb on it at all.
These battles?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/3199135.stm
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old September 3, 2003, 16:18   #20
chequita guevara
Emperor

Well, shut LotM's mouth and call him Sally.
Old September 3, 2003, 16:22   #21
HershOstropoler
Settler

No butter?
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old September 3, 2003, 16:24   #22
chequita guevara
Emperor

Too much colesterol.
Old September 3, 2003, 16:24   #23
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 10:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin

If I must choice between a really disgusting evil and a sort of bad evil guess which I will take?

Who said you had to take either one?
Old September 3, 2003, 16:26   #24
Solly
Emperor

Typical Mobius
Old September 3, 2003, 16:36   #25
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I'd call the BBC center-left, which means it's prolly center-right in England. My impression is that it's a lot less biased than most news organizations out there.

The Guardian is another beast entirely (hardcore leftwing anti-american rag). I still read it occasionally, just to see if anything's changed.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 3, 2003, 16:36   #26
Solly
Emperor

BBC is centre-left, and against Labour. It's quite Lib Dem really.
Old September 3, 2003, 16:40   #27
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
The Guardian is another beast entirely (hardcore leftwing anti-american rag). I still read it occasionally, just to see if anything's changed.
As they still refer to President Bush, rather than war criminal Bush, they have a certain pro-Bush bias.
Old September 3, 2003, 16:41   #28
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by HershOstropoler

These battles?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/3199135.stm
yup those battles. Glad to see the Beeb finally got it.

wonder where they get this though
"The hunt, which is in its seventh day, has so far reportedly led to the death of up to 90 Taleban fighters"

when AP quotes a named local official as saying 124 fighters. but i'll admit thats a quibble.
Old September 3, 2003, 16:44   #29
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by HershOstropoler

As they still refer to President Bush, rather than war criminal Bush, they have a certain pro-Bush bias.

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 3, 2003, 16:44   #30
HershOstropoler
Settler

What's the point?

Probably they killed another 34 during two days, or got a more precise bodycount?