Old September 5, 2003, 16:25   #61
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 03:12
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by DanS

If it's any consolation, there is a subset of the American electorate that also didn't want to be told the truth about the issue and hates Bush because he was pretty clear about it.

thanks for the laughs . . . . .
Old September 5, 2003, 16:53   #62
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 03:12
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeH

Absolutely. Clinton was quite popular here because he understood how to say stuff to the international community, his international policies weren't really all that different to Bush's (pre 9/11).

To a lot of us Euros listening to Bush (and even more so some of his cronies) is a bit like having someone urinate on you and tell you you should be enjoying it.
In other words you want to be conned into doing something
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old September 5, 2003, 16:56   #63
HershOstropoler
Settler

Local Time: 09:12
Many people fall for the sugar coating. Maybe that's one reason why he got reelected and impeachment failed.

But I don't like Clinton either.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old September 5, 2003, 17:08   #64
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 04:12
BeBro: OK, I'll concede the point and edit the paragraph to say...

Quote:
At least the Germans want the trappings that go along with superpowerdom, without being willing to pay the price by increasing military spending. This desire is mainly due to all of those US policies that are offensive to Germans, but about which they have been shown to be able to do precious little about currently.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old September 5, 2003, 17:10   #65
HershOstropoler
Settler

Local Time: 09:12
Yeah better, but I still don't think germans want to go bombing third world countries and be hated around the world.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old September 5, 2003, 17:19   #66
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 04:12
I think they were fine with bombing Serbia and Afghanistan. Re being hated around the world, there is a lot of both hate and love for the US. I can imagine this would be the same with a superpower EU that behaves itself, mostly.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old September 5, 2003, 17:30   #67
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 10:12
There is a major cultural difference. America still hasn't learned that war is the very last thing you want, while Europe learned that the hard way in the 40's (except Britain). Americans are too old to remember the lesson of their domestic war.
Old September 5, 2003, 17:32   #68
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 08:12
Quote:
). Americans are too old to remember the lesson of their domestic war.
And other countries are too smart to envade a nation full of card toting NRA members. Just try and take out Tennesse. Go on, I dare ya Those hillbillies are more heavily armed than all but 4 Nations.
Old September 5, 2003, 18:35   #69
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Re: Europe, US Publics Diverge Drastically On Foreign Policy
Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
The poll found that Europeans and Americans shared similar views in identifying the biggest threats to global security:
Are you sure of that? IIRC there was some poll a few months back asking (I think) Belgians what the biggest threat to world peace was, and many answered the USA.
Old September 5, 2003, 18:40   #70
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher

And other countries are too smart to envade a nation full of card toting NRA members. Just try and take out Tennesse. Go on, I dare ya Those hillbillies are more heavily armed than all but 4 Nations.
I'm not sure I understand fully what you mean, but you are probably right. What is NRA? Sorry, but English is not my native language, especially not American slang.
Old September 5, 2003, 18:44   #71
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

NRA is NRA.
Old September 5, 2003, 18:44   #72
Japher
Emperor

NRA = National Rifle Association

They are the heaviest Lobbiest against gun control
Old September 5, 2003, 19:06   #73
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
NRA = National Rifle Association

They are the heaviest Lobbiest against gun control
Sweden and Finland are the most heavily armed civilians in Europe I suppose, because of the high amount of legal game hunters here. Still we are extremely pacifists nations. Do you mean those NRA guys have weapons more powerful than .30 hunting/sniper rifles? Is that legal?

I bet the NRA would stand no chance against the firepower of any modern regular army, no matter what.