MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 03:12
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Re: What else?
Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
Thank you, Japher.
Again, the South was tired of Northern attitude.
Hard to believe, huh ?
As far as the MINORITY of Southerners who did have slaves, the slaves weren't beat and that, like you would be led to believe by some.
As has been noted, Blacks cost money.
I'm sure slave-owners were cost-concious, wouldn't you think?
So wrong as it was, for this MINORITY to own slaves, they didn't mistreat them.

Slaves -- whether they were mistreated or not, were very much suppressed and denied basic freedom.

And many slave owners did not hestitate to use physical violence to discipline "uppity" slaves.
Old September 4, 2003, 16:20   #122
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Sava, the bulk of your education is from watching television shows like Teletubbies, so what you say is irrelevant.

And Che, if you were involved in this to any degree at all, you'd know without my telling your dumbass that other points were made by reference.
Old September 4, 2003, 16:20   #123
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:12
Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
Sloww is right though.

The KKK was not founded to go around and bash black ppl, or to even ensight violence. They were founded to protect the "southern" way of life that was being threated as the victors, the north, moved in with their industry and governmental rule.

Even Forrest had to cut on the KKK when they started to become violent.
No, this is a myth. The Klan started as a social club, fraternity type organization, with no political aim whatsoever. Then they decided they would have some fun scaring the Black people by riding around at night in sheets, "cuz Black folks are scared of ghosts." They'd yuck it up and have a good old time. Then it turned violent. Then Forrest joined. Then it became both a resistence group against the Union occupation as well as a terrorist organization against whites (both Nothern and Southern) who cooperated with Reconstruction and Blacks. It may have gotten out of Forrest's cotrol, but he helped it become what it became.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 4, 2003, 16:20   #124
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Sloww - again, the fact that slave owners were a minority in the South isn't particularly relevent to the discussion at hand.

You appear to be attempting to prove that the CSA did not fight for slavery by saying that the average southerner didn't have slaves. I agree that the average southerner did not own slaves.

The average American today does not own a multinational corporation. Yet U.S. foreign policy is often influenced by the wants/needs of those corps.

The rich and powerful Southerners, who RAN THE PLACE, mostly did own slaves, and were intent on defending their right to do so.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 4, 2003, 16:22   #125
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
Sava, the bulk of your education is from watching television shows like Teletubbies, so what you say is irrelevant.

And Che, if you were involved in this to any degree at all, you'd know without my telling your dumbass that other points were made by reference.
If you have to ignore my posts because you do not have any counter-claim, just say so.
Old September 4, 2003, 16:23   #126
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 08:12
O My!

The origins are so shrouded in lies that I can even find stuff that says the KKK started as horse whispers. I knew that movie was evil!

All I have to say is that if their rumored head, leader dude at the beginning of the party actually left due to the violence and the turn that for the worse that they had taken, then it must have been something all completely different when it had started. Instead of a bunch of hatemongers...
Old September 4, 2003, 16:24   #127
chequita guevara
Emperor

One of those slaves who "wasn't beaten."
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	slave3.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	52554  
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 4, 2003, 16:26   #128
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:

The origins are so shrouded in lies that I can even find stuff that says the KKK started as horse whispers. I knew that movie was evil!
"That is the astonishing claim made by a Scottish veterinary surgeon in a book to be published later this month, "

Excuse me if I find this source some what less than credible.
Old September 4, 2003, 16:26   #129
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

****ing Yankees and Communists.
Take isolated instances and call it the norm.

Through wasting my time, just like they got tired of wasting their time then.

About says it all.
Old September 4, 2003, 16:28   #130
Japher
Emperor

@Che

I like it though, and I am going to buy into it if all everyone else is going to do is site second hand accounts as well...
Old September 4, 2003, 16:28   #131
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Take isolated instances and call it the norm.
so slavery and abusive servitude weren't the norm for hundreds of years in the South? wow... screw my public education
Old September 4, 2003, 16:29   #132
chequita guevara
Emperor

I know, I know. Sloww. We're just dumbasses for taking the words o those forer slaves and their immediate decendents, rather than the good, kind hearted people who owned other human beings.
Old September 4, 2003, 16:33   #133
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
I know, I know. Sloww. We're just dumbasses for taking the words o those forer slaves and their immediate decendents, rather than the good, kind hearted people who owned other human beings.
Not sure why Slowwhand insists on emoitonalizing arguments, either.

Who has been doing the screaming, shouting, and insulting much more than others on this topic?

Slowwhand
Old September 4, 2003, 16:35   #134
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
@Che

I like it though, and I am going to buy into it if all everyone else is going to do is site second hand accounts as well...

Actually, it meshes quite well with what I and others have said, though not with what Sloww has asserted. We all know that the Klan started out as a club. What Sloww is saying, and which is contradicted by history, is that they were started to protect Southerners from us carpetbaggers, and that was okay , and it only started to go wrong after that. This is, in fact, a lie.

They started out a club, then stated scaring Black peple for fun, and then to keep them in their place, and then they went after the carpetbaggers and scallywags and union soldiers.
Old September 4, 2003, 16:38   #135
Japher
Emperor

I've heard and have read many different things, and I have even heard Sloww's account reported by much more respected historians than the stupid Vet I am going with. Thus, I don't see why anyone is jumping all over him saying he is wrong by only pointing out other stupid historians who don't know what they are talking about either...
Old September 4, 2003, 16:39   #136
MrFun
Emperor

Read the book, "Reconstruction: America's Unfinished Revolution" by Eric Foner.
Old September 4, 2003, 16:41   #137
Japher
Emperor

Why? Was he there? Oh yeah, he was one of the founding fathers of the KKK... Don't think I will waste my time... Got more important things to do, like post