Old September 6, 2003, 03:02   #61
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 00:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Jack_www

I might be support such a thing if there was a way to make sure a terorist could not get one. Maybe have backround checks for those that cant prove their hear legaly. Only problem is that drives license is used as the main form of ID and weather a person is here legaly, and its very hard to almost impossible to change that fact.
The 9/11 *******s were here legally on student visas, which made them eligible to get driver's licenses in every state they lived. If anything, though, the drivers license makes them more visible. What you don't want is someone underground, no ID, working solely on a cash basis.

We got a hell of an evidence trail because these guys had driver's licenses, then got bank accounts and debit cards and credit cards for a few of the leaders. Would have been nice to put that to use beforehand, but still, better than a bunch of anonymous bodies with no paper trail behind them.
Old September 9, 2003, 16:04   #62
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

The 9/11 *******s were here legally on student visas, which made them eligible to get driver's licenses in every state they lived. If anything, though, the drivers license makes them more visible. What you don't want is someone underground, no ID, working solely on a cash basis.

We got a hell of an evidence trail because these guys had driver's licenses, then got bank accounts and debit cards and credit cards for a few of the leaders. Would have been nice to put that to use beforehand, but still, better than a bunch of anonymous bodies with no paper trail behind them.
Yes but now with this law they dont even have to come in legaly and can come in when ever they want so long as the border patroll does not catch them coming in. If they sneak past the border they are home free. Coming in Legaly takes a long time, but now they dont even have to go through INS.

I might be misstaken, but does not California law allow people from other countries to drive so long as they have a drivers license and insurance from their home country?
Old September 9, 2003, 16:08   #63
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Thankfully there are two things under way that will hopefully stop this stupid bill from becoming law. They law will take effect in January, but their is a drive to get the 400,000 signitures of voters to stop the bill to come into effect, and allow the voters to vote on it in the March 2004 election.

Also a congressman from Colorado, the one that is against illegal immigration, I forgot his name, is introducing a bill to with hold federal highway funds and grants from states that allow illiegal immigrants divers licenses.
Old September 9, 2003, 16:42   #64
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 03:14
Quote:

Yeah, baby.

Do we assume white people are citizens, and just roust spics and spooks for ID? Or do we roust honkies too? That's a great use of law enforcement resources. How many US citizens routinely carry around proof of citizenship?

I was going to ask the same question. Two months ago I had my wallet stolen along with my DL. I had to drive from here in Oklahoma to Arkansas to get another one because the damned DMV told me that they couldn't send one through the mail. Well I got stopped in Arkansas for speeding and I didn't have my DL. I'm glad I was white because I would have been in deep **** south of the border with no money after they deported my ass.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old September 9, 2003, 16:44   #65
gunkulator
Prince

Local Time: 03:14
Quote:

As far as illegal immigration goes, a certain amount of it is economically beneficial - the vast majority of them work their asses off in menial jobs we don't want for wages we won't take.

Most of those, I'd rather see them legalized via a work permit scheme that only allowed them legal work in those menial jobs, but gave them a set time to work here.
I dunno. Sounds kinda close to a legalized slave labor class to me. Calling it "economically beneficial" is something of a cop-out. Either US labor laws apply in the US or they don't.

The real problem, of course, is that businesses don't want to stop illegal immigration. As long as they continue to pay off the politicians and INS, we will always have an underclass of illegal aliens. As you pointed out, INS makes a big show of checking out a few legal "brown people" when in truth they probably know exactly where to find buckets-full of illegals.

OTOH, this measure clearly encourages voter fraud and amounts to political bribery. Vote Democratic because we'll give you more rights previously reserved to citizens.
Old September 9, 2003, 17:23   #66
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 08:14

It's just gets really sad when we need to put up these signs
Old September 9, 2003, 17:52   #67
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:14
Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber
I'm glad I was white . . .
You can change?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 9, 2003, 19:06   #68
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:14
Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

You can change?
Hey, you keep talkin' like you been talkin' and y'all gonna find out just how fast that kin happen right 'round heah.
Old September 9, 2003, 19:09   #69
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 01:14
This is still animmoral jab by a dying govornor who is attempring to save his political carreer.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 9, 2003, 19:11   #70
Japher
Emperor

Yeah, but Bush could end all with a flick of his wrist.

I'd do it just as a Republican flexing my power vs. a democrat
Old September 9, 2003, 20:14   #71
The Vagabond
Prince

Re: California Legislature Passes law allowing Illigeal Alliens to get Drives Licenses
Hell, the very statement of the problem like this is only possible in America. State authorities handing IDs (where home addresses are supposedly indicated!) to illegal immigrants, whom they are supposed to catch and who are supposed to be de facto fugitives...

On the other hand, it's nice that each state agency has a well defined sphere of competence. DMV can issue driver licenses, but it's none of their business to hunt down illegal immigrants. There are other agencies to do that.
Old September 9, 2003, 21:06   #72
Joseph
King

Local Time: 01:14
Quote:
Originally posted by Ramo

2. You need proof of citizenship to vote. A driver's license isn't proof of citizenship. You need a social security card or a birth certificate.

Not in Calif. To vote all you need a Driver License to register.
Old September 10, 2003, 13:59   #73
Jack_www
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
Yeah, but Bush could end all with a flick of his wrist.

I'd do it just as a Republican flexing my power vs. a democrat
I dont know about that. I know the federal government can do something, like that bill I talked about in previous post. But Gray would still get the benfit from it and try to blame it all on Bush. But I dont think this bill can help him much. The ones that support this bill already will vote for davis. The ones that oppose it will vote against him anyways and may hurt him with moderate voters. So I dont see what good it does for Davis. Most people in California, including Democratics would like to see more action taken against illigeal immigration. I think the problem that most Republicans get in Calfornia is their postion on abortion not immigration.