Old February 26, 2004, 14:04   #121
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 08:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Economic Survey

S=0, T=477/783 (+229 net), E=48.7 (effect of War Taxes), I=3.8%, exp=6.4 (77d per year)

In late December/early January, the defenses of Gelre fold, and we are loathe to see the Danes expand their presence in the region, so make plans to rescue our stalwart ally from their clutches, as our forces begin surging northward, the Artois (7753/4495) and Flandern (6297) regiments marching into Zeeland, giving us 14050/4495 troops there (total troop presence of 18,545).

With Gelre's capture, the bulk of the armies of our enemies have moved off, and there are but 3446 Danes stationed there to keep the peace. With that target in mind, in February, we march to the rescue of our allies....
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1459, february, the drive to rescue gelre.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	65412  
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Velociryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2004, 14:12   #122
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Sadly, our efforts to rescue faithful ally Gelre are undone by a report of a strong force of some 36k enemy troops of Munster and Hannover marching toward Zeeland. Our regiments (Artois and Flandern) stand down and prepare for defense. It will not be an easy fight, that much is sure, for we are outnumbered nearly 2:1.

On March the second, the first wave of the enemy force hits us, 720/4209 vs 14050/4495, and on March 3, Lorraine's Regiment is bolstered by 3k new Cav recruits raised in Flandres.

The battle in Zeeland rages on through March 12, when the main body of the enemy force arrives, swelling their ranks to:

them: 33,084/4473 vs. our 10,581/4066

However, despite the timely arrival of the enemy's reinforcements in Zeeland, by March 15, it appears that we will emerge victorious!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1459, march 15, winning battles we shouldnt be.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	65415  
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old February 26, 2004, 16:39   #123
Velociryx
staff

March 16, victory over the houses of Munster and Hannover! Our Artois Regiment is down to 5608/4066) (having suffered losses of 2145/429) and the Flandern Regiment is down to 4973 Foot (suffering losses of 1324)

Total losses for this battle amount to: 3469/429 = 3898

No firm reports of enemy casualties, but reliable estimates put the number at something close to ten thousand enemy troops laid low.

A scant four days later, on March 20, we are tested again in Zeeland by an army from Denmark:

Us: 17556/10417 (our ranks swelled by the timely arrival of the newly re-strengthened Lorraine Regiment marching in from Flandres)

Them: 3465/7807

Not only do we have the decisive terrain advantage, but we have more horse, and more troops in general. With all of these cards stacked in our favor, it comes as no great surprise that we win the day. What WAS a bit shocking was that our victory saw to the total destruction of the army of Denmark, while our forces took only scant losses:

Unit Strength after the battle:
Artois: 4714/3887
Flandern: 4422/0
Lorraine: 7377/6361

Losses:
Artois: 894/179
Flandern: 551/0
Lorraine: 725/145

Totals: 2170/324 = 2494

After this stunning victory over our enemies, we immediately renew our drive to rescue Gelre!

In early May, a Monopoly Company is formed the province of Champagne, swelling our coffers by +100d, and later that month, the Danish garrison in Gelre is anihilated, and our forces begin laying in a siege of that place in a bid to recapture it.

August, War Taxes are again raised (stab to -1), and this sparks a 6k revolt in Berri. Fortunately, there are Castillian troops on scene, and they put the rebellion down with our Duke's blessing!

In September, national stability bounces back to zero and we dig in for the siege ahead.

Gelre's defences buckle before us on December17, just five days after Gelre's Duke surrenders himself and his lands to the Danes! Our ally is lost to us and we vow revenge as the year winds down to a close!

-=Vel=-
Old February 26, 2004, 17:03   #124
Velociryx
staff

Economic Survey

S=0, T=818/1154 (net +266 this year), E=51.1 (War Taxes again), I=3.8%, Exp=5.8 (70/year)

Having tried unsuccessfully to free the Duke of Gelre, we demand and get 350d from Denmark and her allies. Blood money, as we'd rather have had our stauch ally and longtime supporter back in the alliance family, but it was not meant to be, so our hope is that by stripping their treasury bare, we'll prevent such an uprising against us in the future.

For our part, we use the money well and wisely, turning on our amazing diplomatic machine and sending a round of letters to our remaining allies:

England: +155
Burgundy: +147
Castile +193

Which leaves us with 1214d in our National Treasury

A refinery is begun in the province of Champagne (the first one in Europe!), and our troops march home (military to 50%).

February 12, our Duke makes a bold step and siezes power from regional governors (centralize +1), which sees an improvement in general productivity and research for us (stab to -1, prod effie to 23%)

March - a 6k revolt in Nivernais - the Lorraine Regiment is en route to deal with this minor threat to our security.

May - Stability returns to zero

22nd - Lorraine defeats the rebel forces in Nivernais

AAR Summary of the war with Denmark and her Germanic lackeys:

Three of our Regiments saw action in this war: Lorraine, Artois, and Flanders.

Starting Strengths:
Artois: 8000/4544
Flanders: 6360/0
Lorraine: 8102/3506 (+3000 Cav raised at the outset of the war)
Total troop strength used against the Danes: 22,462/11,050 = 33,512

Ending Strengths:
Artois: 4263/3797
Flanders: 4144
Lorraine: 6344/6153
Total troop strengh remaining at the war's end:
14,751/9950 = 24701

Losses:
Artois: 3737/747
Flanders: 2216/0
Lorraine: 1758/353
Total losses during our war:
7711/1100 = 8811

VERY light casualties for the damage we inflicted on our enemies!

At the end of the war, we find ourselves with a max supportable army size of 64k, and have, at present, among all our regiments, 28,311/20,077 = 48,388 (49k)

Can raise 15k additional troops!

A general review of our strategic situation and needs is done, and the following troop conscriptions are ordered throughout the land:

2k Infantry raised in Caux for the Flanders Regiment

2k/1k Raised in Zeeland for the Artois Regiment, which has been permanantly reassigned there to see to our defense in the north

1k/1k raised in Poitou for the Poitou Regiment

7k of 15k troops raised, giving us 8k more to raise later.

In July, Cantonments are established in Languedoc (ManPower +1)

And in August, Castile makes war upon luckless Portugal, and we support the war in spirit, if not in body. Portugal is too far away, and Lorraine as yet has no naval presence (nor any particular need for one at this time), and so...our forces stay home.

September sees an unlikely union as Bosnia joins our alliance family, and otherwise, the rest of the year passes quietly into history....

-=Vel=-
Old February 26, 2004, 17:35   #125
Velociryx
staff

Summary/Strategic Thinking

What we NEED is peace at this point. Peace to save and build an additional refinery in Languedoc (the second...and also the more exposed of our Wine-Producing provinces), peace to restore national stability, and then to continue heavy investment in Infrastructure, because the NEXT time we get a boost to national infrastructure, we'll be able to grow our economy by leaps and bounds with the ability to promote Justicars throughout the realm. And, since we've established a right large realm for ourselves since 1419, thanks to our policy of hyper-aggression in the early goings, and smart use of our tiny Duchy's main strength (Diplomacy...almost all of Lorraine's leaders are better than average diplomats), we have grown, in these first 40 years, from a small backwater state that nobody would have given a second glance, into a powerhouse, and we're beginning to feel the binding effect of nationhood, as our earliest provincial acquisitions lose the last of their nationalism and are bonded fully and completely to us.

So...all that to say that we've done well, and now need a window of peace to consolidate our gains.

Fortunately, we got that window. The next several years were blessedly quiet. There are only a few points of interest where some noteworthy event appeared on our radar, so I shall dispense with the detailed "blow by blow" analysis here and paint with a broader brush stroke.

Again, for those interested in the economic goings on, I present the next few years' economic data in summary form.

1461-1463 were amazing years, primarily for their quietude. After years of hard fighting, we were glad for the peace!

A note that should have been included earlier:

How to read the economic data -

S = The nation's stability at the start of the year

T #/# (treasury level in december/treasury level in January)

Net Gain: (Can be found by taking January's Treasury Level, subtracting the December value from it, and then subtracting our annual operating expenses for the current year)

E = Economic value, per month

I = Inflation rate

Exp = The nation's expenses expressed as a monthly value (multiplied by 12 in the parenthetical value for the total annual expense. This is the number you subtract from the Treasury value to get the net gain value for the year)

[b]Economic Summary Data:[b]

S=0, T=429/563 (net +95), E=29.7, I=3.8%, Exp=3.2 (39 per year)

S=+1, T=528/671 (net +104), E=30.9, I=3.8%, Exp=3.2 (39 per year)
(Refinery Completes this year, and our constant attention to Stab sees a full recovery by December)

S=+3, T=697/873 (net +137!), E=35.1!, I=3.8%, Exp=3.2 (39 per year)
Old February 26, 2004, 17:39   #126
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 04:14
Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx
A long, long overdue update, and a longish segment to boot!

Recap of the situation

Maine Regiment (in Maine): 6629
anyway to rename this regiment the 2Oth Maine Regiment?
Old February 26, 2004, 17:47   #127
Velociryx
staff

In 1463, we get another shot in the arm for the military as more nationalism dies away, and we find ourselves able to raise 12k additional troops. Given that our enemies are constantly probing for any sign of weakness, we use this boon well and wisely, making the following additions to our army in May:

2k/1k raised in Zeeland for the Artois Regiment

2k/0 raised in Nivernais for the Lorraine Regiment

1k/1k raised in Poitou for the Poitou Regiment

0/1k raised in Lyonnais for the Zeeland Cav Command

1k/0 raised in Caux for the Flanders Light Regiment

1k/0 raised in Maine for the Maine Light Regiment

It is decided that rather than create a wholly new unit at this time, we would be better served by simply bulking up the fighting strength of our existing units as our strategic needs have not fundamentally changed, and by August, when our new troops are fully trained and rolled into their respective regiments, we cross a major milestone! Parly due to our diligence in keeping a strong army in the field, and partly due to horrific losses on the part of our allies, Lorraine now boasts the largest standing army in all of Europe! Not bad for the little Duchy from nowhere!

-=Vel=-
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1463, august, lorraine boasts the largest army in europe.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	65450  
Old February 26, 2004, 17:50   #128
Velociryx
staff

LOL! Can't do it in the game, I fear, Master LOTM, but yes! Here in the thread, the Maine Light Regiment shall henceforth be dubbed "The 20th Maine!"

-=Vel=-
Old February 26, 2004, 17:53   #129
Velociryx
staff

But wait! It gets even better! Again, thanks to our diligence and care in building the economy, Lorraine has grown from nothing to the 4th largest economy on the planet, and again, the largest economy in Europe!

Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1463, august, lorraine is the 4th largest economy in the world.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	65452  
Old February 26, 2004, 18:10   #130
Velociryx
staff

And the milk and honey flows....

Having reached these very important milestones so quickly, Lorraine's entire stance and outlook must begin shifting. We not only have the responsibility for survival (which is the imperative of all nations), but also, a greater responsibility. It may have been true early on, but no longer are we a junior partner in this alliance family. Our armies are every bit the equal of our peer nations, England and Castile. No longer can we...should we view ourselves as anything less than a full partner in the alliance family....nor should any rival nation make the mistake of seeing us in such a light. We are strong. We have proved that strength, first by guile and cunning, and now, by the brute strength that comes with size. We're a big country, and we're starting to grow up, and that's a very good thing.

We're also an integral part, at this point, of what is making and keeping the English alliance family the strongest in the world. Our alliance family has the #1, #2, and #3 largest armies in Europe behind it. Together, there is nothing we cannot accomplish, short of taking on the whole of the world at once....a thing that will surely not happen (so long as I keep my BB rating and desire for more land under control!).

We have not, as yet, mapped out or fully realized what our growing responsibilities are, but we saw hints of it in our last war with the desire to get Gelre back from the Danes.

That we failed to do so there underscores the point quite brilliantly that though we are strong...though we are a mighty nation, there are some things that are as yet beyond us, and it is our duty to grow stronger yet.

One of our failings at this stage, is that we lack a naval presence of our own. As a junior partner, that was okay, because we were not expected nor required to do the heaviest lifting for the alliance, but with our great strength COMES that responsibility. Plainly put, had we a strong navy, we could have sailed over to the Danish heartland and continued pasting them until they relinquished their control over Gelre. We didn't, and therefore, we couldn't.

So...over the course of the next span of years, it falls to us who are participating in these discussions to outline exactly what our responsibilities as a great nation are, and to outline how best to meet those responsibilities.

Clearly, the days of our not needing a navy are over. We need one, even if it is only a nominal presence. We need not be the supreme rulers of the waves....not by any stretch! But we do need to be able to prosecute wars and deal with threats, no matter where they might spring up from, and to do that effectively, we NEED a fleet! All the other cool, grown up nations have them (at least the ones that aren't land locked!), and we're the odd man out there. It is a blight upon us as a nation!

And there are others. We're woefully behind in certain economic arenas, and as soon as we reach a trade effie of 50%, we need to start addressing that aggressively in the world's markets. Til then, we'll be largely wasting our time, as our traders and merchants simply cannot compete on a global scale.

And plenty of others, I am sure, but that is for us to discuss here.

In the meantime, I shall finish outlining what has occurred to our nation during the last of this segment that I have played out.....
Old February 26, 2004, 19:13   #131
Velociryx
staff

Peace holds until March 7, 1467, when Denmark declares against us anew, once more bringing their Germanic lapdogs into the fight with them (minus Munster this time, whom they annexed!).

The war progresses smoothly and predictably for us in the east. Our Burgundian allies lock down Mecklen-held Friesen, and our three main battle groups (bolstered by a newly commissioned Zeeland Reserve, consisting of 4k Infantry), march into undefended Gelre, and then further into Oldenburg, extending our line of sieges deep into Danish territory.

We do gain a surprise in June, however, when old adversary Brittany joins the Danish alliance, and suddenly opens the war on a wider front. We activate our three remaining (uncommitted) regements, Poitou, Zeeland Cav Command, and the 20th Maine, and consolidate them in Orleanais as an impressive 21k Army invades Maine from Morbihan.

The gods smile upon us, however, and by late October, we have recovered from our surprise at Brittany's bold move, have destroyed their impressive invasion force to a man with relatively light losses on our part, and are moving with terrifying efficiency to lock down this new western front.

Indeed, it can well and truly be said that all is NOT quiet on the western front.

Not here.

Not with us....
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1467, november, not quiet on the western front.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	65462  
Old February 26, 2004, 19:35   #132
Velociryx
staff

If the war with the Danes didn't give us any real trouble (and it didn't), we DID have one additional brief surprise (sorry for the sketchiness here...but the server ATE my last two posts--highly detailed ones at that! UGH...and I don't have it in me right now to retype all that detail, so I'm hitting the high spots the second time around), anyway, if the Danish war wasn't hard, then we DID at least have one more bitter surprise in store....

Austria made a brief, glorious, and entirely foolish attempt at greatness, which began by annexing Wurzburg and Baden (who had, some years earlier, gained control of our beloved Alsace), and then used this newfound strength and border with us to declare war on the strongest alliance family in Europe, dragging their only ally, Milan, into the conflict too!).

Needless to say, we brought things to a close quickly with the danes, capturing Bretagne and Oldenburg for ourselves and Munster for the Burgundians, then swept our armies toward Austria and pounded them relentlessly.

The only trouble we encountered was a band of some 4k Austrians in Baden who WOULD NOT be defeated! We hurled armies three and four times their size across that blasted river, and it took us SIX attacks to chase them off!

In the end tho, we had sieges running from Alsace to Bavaria, took LOTS of winter attrition damage, and ate it, forcing a surrender that included Alsace, Baden and Wurzburg (basically, everything Austria had just worked so hard to gain).

Sadly, our Grand Duke Jean II did not live to see that fine day, dying quietly in his bed in December of 1470, to be replaced by his son, Nicolas.....
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1470, december, the rise of nicolas.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	65464  
Old February 26, 2004, 19:44   #133
Velociryx
staff

Cleanup

Played thru to January 1473, finished the war with Austria out, gaining us, as mentioned previously, the territories of Alsace, Baden, and Wurtemburg (I think I said wurzburg last post...oops!), then rebiulding our armies to hold onto our new territories.

As of January 1473 then, our armies are thusly (oh...and centralized again in 1470!)

Artois Regement (in Zeeland): 6719/5289
Lorraine Regement (in Lorraine): 0/10,906
Zeeland Cav Command (in Lyonnais): 0/7476
Flanders Light Regement (in Caux): 7879/0
20th Maine (in Maine): 7458/0
Poitou Regement (in Poitou): 5705/4071

And two new additions, to better protect our expanding realm:

Oldenburg Regement (in Oldenburg): 8517/4149
Wurtemburg Regement (in Wurtemburg): 7944/4571

Total forces under Lorraine's Banner as of January 1473: 44,222/36,462 = 80,684

Max of 82k

Ladies and Gentlemen, Lorraine is at your command. What shall we do with this rapidly growing titan?

-=Vel=-
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1471, september, peace with austria.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	65469  
Old February 26, 2004, 19:45   #134
Velociryx
staff

oh...forgot the last pic!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1473, january, lorraine.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	65470  
Old February 26, 2004, 20:07   #135
Velociryx
staff

Topics we oughta discuss

Here's some stuff I was thinking about as I was winding down this segment:

As mentioned earlier, now that we've gone from a Duchy nobody cared about to one of the strongmen of Europe, we got responsibilities. What are they and what should they be?

How can we best live up to those responsibilities?

If we make a fleet, what should it look like, and where should we port it/them? What would their goals and aims be, precisely?

Multi-culturalism: We're starting to get some germanic provinces under our belt, and that's a good thing....we've also got two Dutch and two Celtic provinces under our belts. Small but important minorities in our growing Kingdom. What should our position be regarding these minorities? Loose reins or intolerance....or should we let them go?

At some point, in our quest to unite all French and German cultural provinces under our banner, we'll need to step away from the English alliance. Doing so will destroy the strongest alliance that the continent has ever seen, and potentially put us at odds with some really big, ticked off countries. When should we? What groundwork needs to be laid first?

And...anything else that anybody else can think of...

-=Vel=-
Old February 27, 2004, 11:16   #136
lord of the mark
Deity

to recount, for someone who doesnt yet have EU, but likes Alt History.

POD 1419 - Lorraine which in OTL was a quiet fief of France, and had was briefly under Burgundy after 1473, etc, instead takes advantage of this stage of the hundred years war to take on Burgundy, and ends up swallowing Burgundy. It avoids, it manages to do what the Burgundians tried but failed to do, use the english alliance to dominate the area of France, at the expense of the descendants of Hugh Capet. Theyve also expanded into Germany.

Thoughts
1. in OTL, when English power receded with Jean D'arc, squabbling English under Henry VI, etc France recovered and Burgundy made peace with France, eventually going to the Hapsburgs. This doesnt happen here - why? I presume that Lorraine is big enough and clever enough (with a human player taking full advantage of EU rules) to be much stronger than Burgundy at the key moment.

Do events only happen to player country - ie if you play is Lorraine is there a Jeanne D'arc event in France?? English history events??

2. Historically this is a period of great power consolidation, important royal marriages (castile-Aragon, Burgundy-Hapsburg, England-Scotland, etc) Lorraine should be looking at this. With Lorraine an enemy of Hapsburg, Hapsburg should be looking for a marriage to counter and surround Lorraine. France, England, or Castille.
Old February 27, 2004, 12:20   #137
Velociryx
staff

Hit the nail precisely on the head, LOTM! The essence of our opening gambit in Lorraine was to make use of the biggest and best ace we had.

We had no army to speak of, and were surrounded by powers larger and stronger than ourselves, but we DID have one advantage. GREAT diplomatic prowess.

Using this, we were able to first side with france against Burgundy, eat all but one province, then play the role of the turncoat, ally WITH England and Burgundy, and begin expanding at the expence of France.

That was the impetus for our growth, and there can be absolutely no doubt but that diplomacy has already won this game for us. Using it to first cozy up to France, and then betray them, we were able to flee from one strong alliance to another with lightning speed, and then use that alliance cover to our advantage...a safe garden to grow in. (and yep....France still gets the Jean D'Arc event, even if not played by a human! ).

We saw briefly in this game, where the Hapsburgs attempted to rein in our power, but they chose their allies poorly (well, it would not have truly mattered who their allies were at that point, as we had the only folks strong enough to save them firmly in our camp....Castile and England). Had England not been able to get Castile in bed with us, they almost certainly would have joined the Hapsburgs (or vice versa) which would have made for two more evenly matched alliance families in the region, and that would have reined in our growth, no doubt.

But with France ravaged, and Castile (now Spain) and England on our side, we simply dominated the stage.

And, there are signs that Austria is trying again. She now has an alliance with Hungary, Bohemia, and Croatia, and collectively, these guys are the number two alliance grouping in Europe. The Danes, with their fistful of Germanic allies are number three, but even if the Danes and the Austrians declared against us simultaneously at this point, we have, between the members of our alliance family, sufficient manpower and significant leadership to push them back.

France is still a minor factor, having allied themselves with a passel of minor players in Europe. Individually they're not much (Portugal, Eire, Auvergne, Savoy, and the Papal States), but taken together, and given their position relative to our borders (breaking them up as they are), they represent a larger-than-the norm threat, so we're not out of the woods yet.

The other thing we have working against us is me, sadly.

I have been a HUGE proponent of economic focus, and while it has served us well (I played a bit further, and we're now the #1 economy on the planet), our military is woefully behind the times (we have land tech 3, France has land tech 9). True, we have a big, imposing army, but pound for pound, we're a 98 pound weakling in the technology of the times. A problem that needs to be addressed before we get our butts handed to us by a force a quarter of our size....for the time being however, we're raking in the bucks, and putting it to good use.

-=Vel=-
PS: Burgundy still gets absorbed by the Hapsburgs, too! That event will prolly appear in our next segment!
Old February 27, 2004, 12:37   #138
Velociryx
staff

Key Events in our Alt History Project

Because I'm "too close" to the project, as the one playing it, I'd like to see what events spring to mind for those of you participating here that have truly shaped us and gotten us where we are.

The two biggies that stand out, even for me, are:

* Our performance in the first war, against Burgundy

and

* England gaining Castile as an ally

But I'm sure there are loads of others! Thoughts?

-=Vel=-
Old March 4, 2004, 18:42   #139
Velociryx
staff

'k...if there are no comments or thoughts on the next segment, I shall play it out then! Will have the results up here soon!

-=Vel=-
Old March 5, 2004, 11:09   #140
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx
'k...if there are no comments or thoughts on the next segment, I shall play it out then! Will have the results up here soon!

-=Vel=-
Go ahead, i'll be interested in seeing it.
Old March 8, 2004, 19:00   #141
Velociryx
staff

Out with the old, in with the new....

1473 was a year filled with both sorrow and hope for us and for our People. It saw magnificent triumphs (over Austria again), and an occassional hair raising moment or two, but in August of that year, our beloved Duke dies, and his cousin, Rene II takes the helm of the Duchy of the rising star that is Lorraine....
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1473, aug 25, new monarch, rene ii.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	66614  
Old March 8, 2004, 19:09   #142
Velociryx
staff

And so, our trend and luck with monarchs gifted in the art of Diplomacy continues, for while Rene may be only an average military man and administrator, his greatest strength is that which has been Lorraine's greatest strength since our bold adventure began, and that is, Lorraine's leaders have a long and growing history of being extremely gifted diplomats, and in 1474, we begin once more utilizing that strength with letters to Burgundy (+93), England (+87) and Castile (+110)....letters sent to demonstrate a continued willingness on the part of Lorraine to maintain the status quo in our alliance despite the new change in leadership of our nation. This pleases our allies well enough, and mollifies any concerns they may have had about Lorraine going her own way.....

....the year passes quietly until December 2nd, of 1474, which stands as a watershed moment for Lorraine, and marked a clear turning point in her future.

On that date, the tiny Duchy of Navarra breaks free from English dominance, and when England calls for the allies to stand with her, none of them rally to that call.

Fearing what the destruction of this hugely successful alliance means, Lorraine too, opts not to answer the alliance call, and the alliance is shattered, but Rene II is quick to act, summoning the allies to his palace in Nancy where talks are immediately held regarding the future of the alliance and what it might mean to the long term security of the alliance members if we were to part company now, after such a stellar string of successes.

Rene's speech is powerful and compelling, and the alliance is re-forged with England, Castile, and Burgundy....but with a key difference.

No longer is Lorraine a participating member of the alliance family, but placed at the honored head OF the alliance family....a testament to our Duke's power of persuasion and diplomatic savvy. No longer is Lorraine relegated to the back seat of this alliance, but she is the Master!

And our good fortune continues!

In January, long-time enemy France forges an alliance with a belegured Navarra, Auvergne, His Holiness, the Pope, Portugal, and Erie, and in May of that same year, Castile declares a war against the Portugese! We happily comply with this unexpected turn of events, and see all the allies on both sides rally to battle!
Old March 8, 2004, 19:20   #143
Velociryx
staff

Another War with France

Dear God, but we have lost count of how many times we have faced the wrath of France on the field of battle. Surely this time will be the war to end the mishandled dream of the early French Kings. Surely this time, we will be utterly and completely victorious.

And we take our time about it, too.

Carefully and methodically, we plan for the demise of our arch-enemy, France, marching the Zeeland Cav Command to Dauphine, the Lorraine Cav command to Lyonnais, Flandern Regement to Ile de France, the 20th Maine to Vendee, and Poutou's Regement to Guyenne.

Just to be sure, we also raise an additional 6,000 Infantry to serve as a ready reserve, and hire 5000/500 Mercenaries (a regement of English Pike) in Berri to bolster our troop presence in that area.

In July, the English take command of our siege in Guyenne, and we leave them to it, happy to have troops to spare for other duties, not the least of which is a siege of Provence, which we regard as MUCH more strategically important to us than Guyenne, as it will give Lorraine a port in the Med!

Alas, our forray into Provence does not go well, and our invading regements are forced to withdraw.

To bolster them, we hire a regement of Dutchmen, 8000/500 strong to assist in this ongoing struggle and make plans to re-invade Provence when morale has recovered sufficiently.

By December, we have all of France's continental territory locked down (well, England has Guyenne for us, but...it amounts to much the same thing), and the last remnants of the Army of France are marching to relieve their beloved Paris.....as we outnumber the approaching army by a comfortable margin, we feel certain they will not succeed, and in fact, they do not....
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1475, october, the entire army of france.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	66616  
Old March 8, 2004, 19:40   #144
Velociryx
staff

As our war with France grinds on into 1476, we face a 9k rebellion in newly won Baden, and our Wurtemburg Regement, which had been staying out of the war with France to guard against such rebellious shenanigans, moves swiftly and decisively to put it down. Duke Rene may not be a genius military man, but he is no fool, either, and knows only too well the danger of committing all available forces to any single cause....even one so tremendous as the defeat of our long time enemies.

This rebellion, and the ease with which it was handles, clearly demonstrates the wisdom of this approach.

So....as our war continues, it is very much a waiting game, and one by one, the lands of France come under our direct control.....Dauphene in July, Vendee in December, Ile de France in February of 1477, and then....

An increasingly desperate France offers us Vendee and Dauphine for peace, along with 92d!

Given the sorry state that Portugal is currently in against Castile, we dare not drag the war out any longer, lest we lose all our gains....so...not the decisive final victory we were hoping for, but further gains against once-mighty France as we accept this latest offered peace!

Immediately, we move to formally add these new territories to our growing Kingdom, incorporating them by appointing Tax Collectors with all speed.

The peasants of Berri, showing their support for the fading French cause, rise in rebellion, six thousand strong, but this rebellion is quickly put down, and a rebellious Gelre, breaking away from Dutch dominance is absorbed only four months later. We had hoped that rebellion would have succeeded, but alas....

In April, 1477, our THIRD refinery is begun in Baden, and in September, we raise war taxes as the Irish attack Zeeland by sea! We beat the invaders back, but this serves as a painful reminder that while we have made peace with the French, we ARE still at war with the other members of her alliance family.

November sees another blow, as a group of prominent Clergymen in our Duchy seek to bend the ear of the Duke, expressing their bitterness over the recent trends toward innovation in the realm. All these breweries and such popping up over the realm....and where would it end?! Or so they tried to argue, but the Duke (being rather busy with the ongoing war) would not hear them, and so they took to the streets of Nancy and beyond, preaching against the State and generally making a nuisance (stab drops to +1 as their demands are ignored).

As our war enters the year of our Lord 1478, we are beginning to feel the strain of such a protracted conflict. Nonetheless, we are faithful to our allies, cementing our ties by renewing Royal Marriages with both Castile (+200!), and England (+107).

In April of that year, Auvergne is captured, and we demand (and get!) Cevennes and 50d from that long time French lapdog. Another rival down!

As we are now well away from most of the direct fighting, we order the military to stand down, hoping to simply ride out the rest of the war quietly.

Sadly, this is a mistake, for mere months later, the Irish attack Zeeland from the sea again, this time with more than seven thousand cavalry.

As that battle rages on (a battle we are losing), we frantically offer Portugal 400d for peace, formally extricating Lorraine from the war and rescuing the Zeeland garrison, but our people are exhausted! (WE is -7!!!). It is time to rest and rebuild, and 400d was a small price indeed for the chance to do so, and for our three new territories!

Immediately following the war, there was a period of uncertainty as our nation breathed a tired sigh and got down to the business of rebuilding and re-structuring ourselves after this war.

Of course, there were disagreements on what form this restructuring should take, which led to a bit of infighting amongst some of our nobles (Noble Families Feud) - sadly, this "bit of in-fighting" quick escalated all out of hand, and before we knew it, there were more than twenty thousand men under arms in Champagne, forcing us to race to quell the rebellion.

It took the combined efforts of three of our Regements, but we did so, and then continued to sort ourselves out.

That process took until February, 1480, when (on St. Valentine's Day), our Duke took another step toward fully centralizing his government's power - prod effie to 28% (still two points of WE remaining).
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1480, feb, lorraine.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	66619  
Old March 9, 2004, 14:23   #145
lord of the mark
Deity

thanks, very entertaining.