Old September 4, 2003, 20:36   #1
Newbreed
Settler

Local Time: 08:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
You think you hate MOO3?
After pre-ordering the game and being bitterly disappointed by the end result, I set my cds aside and decided to wait for the patch. Cue yesterday, when I decided to down load the 1.25 patch and give it another chance.
I put the cd into my new DVD-ROM, close it and wait for the autorun to kick. I hear a pleasant whirring sound and then a harsh crack. I open my drive to find that the poxy cheap cd has shattered and destroyed my DVD-ROM. Bastard game, I give you a second chance and this is how you repay me. Honestly, you can complain all you want but no-one can hate this game more than me.
Newbreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2003, 03:21   #2
Vince278
King

Never heard of anything like that happening before.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Vince278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2003, 04:59   #3
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 09:15
I blame your DvD rom for destroying a quality product!
Old September 5, 2003, 06:18   #4
krait23
Warlord

Local Time: 09:15
How nice of MoO3. I guess thats what you get for putting coasters into your DVD drive

Though I once had Fantasy General crack up on me, which was indeed a quality product (xcept for the CD apparently). Ahhhh those better days...
But it didnt hurt my drive at all...

Lata
Krait
krait23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2003, 23:28   #5
Vince278
King

Sounds like the physical quality of the CD vs. the condition of your drive. Old disks may get brittle but MOO3 isn't old. I'd blame the drive.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
Old September 6, 2003, 04:29   #6
Newbreed
Settler

The drive was barely a month old.
Old September 6, 2003, 13:18   #7
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Local Time: 03:15
Either the cd or drive must have had a defect. Not sure which, but neither of my MoO3 cds have cracked. I'd contact Infogrames, pretty sure it can be replaced if you're sure the cd was defective. Really odd though, I haven't heard of anything like that before either.
Old September 6, 2003, 19:37   #8
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

huh, that's certainly awful luck. what brand drive was it?
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2003, 00:17   #9
Vince278
King

I've seen alot of head crashes with the old (circa 1988) 40MB Bernoulli drives (the head would literally etch grooves in the disks). I guess you can't have head crashes with lasers but perhaps the spindle can go slightly out of alignment. With CDs spinning as fast as they do anything could happen. I still think it very unlikely unless you insert the CD then throw the PC out the window.
Old September 7, 2003, 09:09   #10
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ChaotikVisions
Either the cd or drive must have had a defect.
All the MOO3 CDs are defetive. It's called copy protection.

Do It Ourselves
General Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2003, 17:24   #11
Newbreed
Settler

It's an A-Open drive. Never heard of them either but the drive is wrecked. Fragments of MOO3 everywhere. Can Infogames replace my copy because the shop is hardly going to replace the cd after all this time? And will they charge me for it?
Old September 11, 2003, 01:04   #12
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Only one way to find out, send them an email
H Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2003, 02:08   #13
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 00:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Newbreed
It's an A-Open drive. Never heard of them either but the drive is wrecked. Fragments of MOO3 everywhere. Can Infogames replace my copy because the shop is hardly going to replace the cd after all this time? And will they charge me for it?
A-Open is a Taiwan/China based clone company - I've used there stuff on occasion, and never had problems with it. How do you know the drive is dead though?

A lot of times, the gear drives for the trays can get messed up, or if you have broken media, a piece could lodge somewhere. I've taken apart and repaired plenty of CD and DVD drives, but I've yet to see one actually killed by the media, broken or otherwise.
MichaeltheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote