Old September 4, 2003, 22:13   #1
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 17:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
What's the best RPG game of all time?
When I was younger I played D&D, AD&D, Traveller, MERP, Rolemaster and various other roleplaying games.

But without doubt the best one I ever played and IMHO the best one ever created was Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, produced by Games Workshop back when they were still a serious company.

Surprisingly the game is still in print (owned by Hogshead publishing) and has its own up to date fanzine "Warpstone".

WFRP managed to avoid the problems of AD&D (over powered characters, playing off special abilities against each other, the ridiculous combat and magic systems, what's the point of Fighters when you can have a Paladin, etc.) and provided a much more roleplaying, as opposed to a dice rolling, game.

Who could argue with 130 different character classes? During my playing days I played a Hunter, a Rat Catcher, a Highwayman, a Scribe, and a Troll Slayer among others.

And any game that doesn't have Zoats just sucks!!!!

What's your favourite?
Old September 4, 2003, 22:15   #2
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Local Time: 03:15
Favorite RPG: RealLife1.0
Old September 4, 2003, 22:17   #3
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Verto
Favorite RPG: RealLife1.0
ReaLife never made good Rocket Propelled Grenades.
Old September 4, 2003, 22:21   #4
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 01:15
AD&D second edition. First edition was more original but it was as well organized and 3rd edition (from what little I've seen of it) is a over powered munkin fest. Gurps was interesting but to complicated to be much fun (Wait, we have to stop and look up yet another rule!) and Steve Jackson's orginial Star Wars RPG had a novel yet workable and fun take on how to play and RPG.

Of course I haven't played an RPG in 10 years so things could have changed alot.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 4, 2003, 22:23   #5
Oerdin
Deity

Re: What's the best RPG game of all time?
Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon
But without doubt the best one I ever played and IMHO the best one ever created was Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, produced by Games Workshop back when they were still a serious company.
Warhammer bored me because of the whole switching class thing. Switching classes is the whole point of the game and most people seemed to follow the same 3-4 career paths which made the game even more generic.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 4, 2003, 22:28   #6
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Re: Re: What's the best RPG game of all time?
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin

Warhammer bored me because of the whole switching class thing. Switching classes is the whole point of the game and most people seemed to follow the same 3-4 career paths which made the game even more generic.
It's the players who make the game. We often randomized character class so as to make it more interesting.
Old September 4, 2003, 22:31   #7
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 02:15
I never played board RPG's, only comsole and computer ones. As such, my favorite of all times was Dragon Warrior 4 for the NES...5 storylines becoming one
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old September 4, 2003, 22:32   #8
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 04:15
Bard's Tale III.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old September 4, 2003, 23:06   #9
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Mine.
Old September 4, 2003, 23:07   #10
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Or rather, the one designed by my "company"
Old September 4, 2003, 23:09   #11
The Templar
Prince

It's a toss-up between Cyberpunk and Vampire: the Masquerade. (Note: more women played when I GMed Vampire )
Old September 4, 2003, 23:18   #12
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

They should make a movie of the World of Darkness. That would be awesome. Whitewolf "created" a very cool universe.
Old September 4, 2003, 23:29   #13
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Warhammer sounds good just because of the existance of skaven, you just can't beat skaven. Used to play the war game for hours with risk pieces, legos etc (we were to cheap to buy models) and nothing could ever stand up to my lego cannon warplard jezzels (sp!)

As far as RPGs go I played a little wierd D&D, AD&D 1st and 2nd edition hybrid (we didn't have any full sets of books) in middle school and that's it, and having a good GM does a LOT more than having a good game system if you don't like the rules just **** with them. My two major characters were a demented kobold berzerker and a halfling wizard who only cast magic to avoid danger (ie casting invisibility and running away repeatedly) who later became a gladiatorial manager and a were-hippo...
Old September 4, 2003, 23:34   #14
devilmunchkin
Warlord

Local Time: 08:15
my bf's is Xenogears...
at the moment mine is either FF9 or Xenosaga
"Speaking on the subject of conformity: This rotting concept of the unfathomable nostril mystifies the fuming crotch of my being!!! Stop with the mooing you damned chihuahua!!! Ganglia!! Rats eat babies!" ~ happy noodle boy
Old September 4, 2003, 23:41   #15
MrFun
Emperor

The true best one -- of all time . . . .

Finally Fantasy III

those adorable Moogles, and those powerful Espers.
Old September 4, 2003, 23:42   #16
devilmunchkin
Warlord

moogles are in alot of them....i think almost all
"Speaking on the subject of conformity: This rotting concept of the unfathomable nostril mystifies the fuming crotch of my being!!! Stop with the mooing you damned chihuahua!!! Ganglia!! Rats eat babies!" ~ happy noodle boy
Old September 4, 2003, 23:44   #17
MrFun
Emperor

They were never in Final Fantasy I, nor Final Fantasy II.

But yes -- they were in later titles after Final Fantasy III.

Final Fantasy III though, IMO, was the best RPG ever for several different reasons.
Old September 4, 2003, 23:54   #18
devilmunchkin
Warlord

ok..what? (maybe i'll have to play that one..although i do believe 7 is next on my list)
Old September 4, 2003, 23:59   #19
MrFun
Emperor

The use of Espers was awesome -- I also really liked the idea of using a combination of Relics to give your characters special boosts or abilities.

And I really, really enjoyed the story line and its drama centering around the Espers and Terra.
Old September 5, 2003, 00:30   #20
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 16:15
IMO, all RPG systems can be good or bad, mostly depending on wether the GM is good or not, whether he can weave a good story within the system or not.

After that said, some systems are prone to make campaigns disintegrate into utter silliness, usually of the variety where characters grabbing for power (e.g. magical or technological items), due to inherent design flaws.

I'd say AD&D is very bad for that, particularly the earlier editions. Campaigns just became a linked series of fights, characters are essentially combat monsters, precisely because there were no other skills they could use. If you are good, you can go around and kill orcs (and goblins and kobolds and gnolls and bugbears and trolls etc. etc.) because they are always Evil. If you are evil, it's even simplier, because you can just go around kill everybody else in sight.

Some other systems, such as Ars Magica, were designed to encourage actually playing a character (instead of playing for power). Those sytems are better.
Old September 5, 2003, 00:42   #21
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
say AD&D is very bad for that, particularly the earlier editions. Campaigns just became a linked series of fights, characters are essentially combat monsters, precisely because there were no other skills they could use. If you are good, you can go around and kill orcs (and goblins and kobolds and gnolls and bugbears and trolls etc. etc.) because they are always Evil. If you are evil, it's even simplier, because you can just go around kill everybody else in sight.
Your players must suck. I think the game has far more to do with you and your players than the ruleset; anyone who needs rules to confine them into good roleplaying isn't a good rp-er anyway. I've never had players that played any alignment as shallowly as that, and usually the people I play with particularly like adventures that call for ingenuity and creativity, combat or no.

I admit that the system does not prevent people from being action fiends with shallow characters, but that's the idea: It's loose enough that you can play anything from hack-and-slash to a very social, rp heavy adventure. Other systems I've played tend to pigeonhole you into a certain mode of play, which I can't see a reason for.
Old September 5, 2003, 00:50   #22
Edan
Warlord

Sentinel Worlds 1, or possibly one of the Quest for Glory games or Darklands.
Old September 5, 2003, 00:54   #23
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 16:15
Quote:
Originally posted by cyclotron7
Your players must suck. I think the game has far more to do with you and your players than the ruleset; anyone who needs rules to confine them into good roleplaying isn't a good rp-er anyway.
Yes and no. The problem with AD&D (and Rolemaster to a lesser extent) is characters gain experience by killing. A player is not rewarded to be a good roleplayer by the book, a player is rewarded to be a combat monster. This flaw cannot be fixed unless the GM heavily modifies the rules. Compare this with DragonQuest or Champions where you get rewarded for being a good rp'er.

A lesser problem that could be contained is the prevalence of magical items - many of those items are very powerful. This can be avoided by limiting the number and power of magical items.

Quote:
I've never had players that played any alignment as shallowly as that
When all the Orcs are evil, your character is free to kill them, right?

Quote:
I admit that the system does not prevent people from being action fiends with shallow characters, but that's the idea: It's loose enough that you can play anything from hack-and-slash to a very social, rp heavy adventure. Other systems I've played tend to pigeonhole you into a certain mode of play, which I can't see a reason for.
My experience is otherwise. As I pointed out before, there are virtually no noncombat skills in AD&D before, while the list of skills in 3rd edition is sill very incomplete, with some skills too generic and some others too restrictive.
Old September 5, 2003, 01:37   #24
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Planescape: Torment

There's your answer. You can lock the thread now.
Old September 5, 2003, 01:39   #25
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

In real life - AD&D 2nd edition.

On the computer - Avernum
Albert Speer
Old September 5, 2003, 01:41   #26
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Umm...I like Morrowind
Old September 5, 2003, 02:58   #27
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I haven't played that many pen and paper RPG's.

Of course my vote goes to D&D. I love it, I love, and I love it some more. Sure you get experience from killing monsters. But a good DM will not just make the game a pure monster kill fest. There is so much a DM can do. He could only put 1 monster in a campaign.

I have also played gamma world. But I was too young to fully understand it. I have also played Top Secret. That was a pretty cool game as well. I also played car wars- but that wasn't a rpg in the normal sense. You built up your car instead of your character. But Car wars was probably my second favourite pen and paper game.
Old September 5, 2003, 02:59   #28
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 00:15
wizardry

Mis Novias
Old September 5, 2003, 03:09   #29
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I've only played computer and video games

my fave: Ultima VII, both parts. Loved the story, loved the characters, loved the interaction with the world, loved the plot. Loved the game, period.

2nd place: Wizardry VII. Very challenging traditional-style RPG.

runner up: Final Fantasy I (NES) and II (SNES). I loved the medieval/futuristic mix, both were extremely addictive. Never played any other FF game.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old September 5, 2003, 03:13   #30
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Edan
Sentinel Worlds 1, or possibly one of the Quest for Glory games or Darklands.
Whoa, Sentinel Worlds I is a true classic! Too bad I was too young and found it extremely complicated. But I do have it as abandonware somewhere on my HD...

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)