Old September 5, 2003, 12:29   #1
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 04:17
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Seiken Densetsu 3
Okay, I've started playing this SNES classic again after a loooong break. Hopefully there are other fans of it on 'poly. I played my last game with Kevin(Godhand), Lise(Starlancer), and Hawk(Nightblade). Needless to say, it was pretty fun and not terribly difficult.
Now I've chosen a team of Duran, Kevin, and Hawk. I know it's not much of a change, but Carlie's too annoying for me and Duran's tricky to use effectively so I don't want to have to cover Angela's weakness too. Any SD3 veterans on this board know what I'm referring to. Duran's attack has awesome range and power, but after every swipe he spends the better part of two seconds huffing and puffing like the little engine that could before he lifts his sword and can attack again; meanwhile, the other characters get in two or three attacks. I've already decided to make Duran a Swordmaster, since I played as a Knight once and wasn't impressed-I quit before the second promotion. I never need to heal everyone more than nine times in a single fight so I just use Poto Oil instead of Heal Light, the shields didn't really impress me, and I don't think Saint Saber is valuable enough to compensate for his general lameness in the light classes.
Kevin and Hawk's classes are up in the air, however. Duran is going to get the Moon and Leaf Sabers anyway so the Dervish and Warrior Monk are basically unnecessary. I could go with the God Hand again, in which case the most sensible thing to do would be making Hawk a Nightblade again to take the best advantage of Aura Wave(Ridiculously unfair spell! 3 huge non-elemental attacks at once!), but that's too similar to the last game. Instead I'm thinking Death Hand and Wanderer. Continuous MP supply via Poison Bubble, Lunatic acts a lot like Deadly Weapon did, Life Boost, and I still get Aura Wave, plus other, lesser goodies. Kevin in return has no reason not to become the most powerful of his four classes.
Does anybody out there with more experience than me see any problems with this plan?
On a more general note, who else loves this game?
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old September 6, 2003, 19:09   #2
geeslaka
Prince

Local Time: 01:17
I played this game up to where the portal to the Holy Land gets opened. At that point zsnes started crashing when I tried to save state. I'll have to try it with snes9x.
Just curious, is the final boss the shadow godbeast?
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old September 6, 2003, 19:21   #3
Elok
Emperor

Nah, the shadow God-beast is this silly-looking thing that looks like three separate floating jesters' heads. You fight it relatively late in the game, but before the final boss sequence starts. There are three different final dungeons with different bosses, one each for Duran/Angela, Hawk/Lise, and Carlie/Kevin.

Plus one. Woo.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old September 7, 2003, 16:30   #4
Elok
Emperor

Oh, and snes9x is awesome. The only game I've found that it can't handle is the lame 16-bit Fellowship of the Rings from '94 or thereabouts. Mine really doesn't like DirectX for some reason though. It's probably more my computer's fault than the emulator's.
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old September 7, 2003, 16:36   #5
geeslaka
Prince

Yeah, I've found lots of roms that zsnes won't handle but snes9x will.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old September 9, 2003, 02:48   #6
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:17
I like it, but consider Carlie an absolute neccesity for any party. No more than 9 heals?! I remember the final battle taking around 30 minutes for me (in Hawk's scenario), and 40 minutes for my roommate (in Duran's scenario)! Being able to have functionally infinite Heal Light alls is waaay too important later in the game. Some of the God Beasts take a licking too, especially if you're unfortunate enough to fight them on their own day (I made the mistake of doing that once, and the Beast had something like double its normal HP).
Old September 9, 2003, 02:57   #7
geeslaka
Prince

I guess I'll have to start playing that game again. I never got anywhere near that far.
XGalaga.