Old September 5, 2003, 12:56   #1
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 04:17
Local Date: November 2, 2010
thoughts on Theoden, KINGship, and lord of the rings
Pardon the commas.

The time has come to discuss certain aspects of the Tolkien trilogy. Especially relevant in that the film of "Return of the KING" will soon be out.

Note that Theoden, ruler of Rohan, is called Lord of the Mark of Rohan, rather than King of Rohan.

Perhaps due to his relation as vassal to the ruler of Gondor, and a mediveval notion that a king cannot be a vassal?

I note he is never called "prince of Rohan"
Old September 5, 2003, 12:59   #2
David Floyd
Emperor

Local Time: 08:17
Quote:
and a mediveval notion that a king cannot be a vassal?
Actually this isn 't correct. As I recall, there was an English king who was a vassal to the French throne. Can't remember who or when, though - sorry
Old September 5, 2003, 13:02   #3
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by David Floyd

Actually this isn 't correct. As I recall, there was an English king who was a vassal to the French throne. Can't remember who or when, though - sorry
There were several english kings who held what had been fiefs of France - the english tended to deny that they had to do homage for them, on grounds of the principle i mentioned above. Some - John - ISTR did do homage though. Maybe not that a king couldnt be a vassal, but that he couldnt do homage.

So, do you agree that the Lord of the Mark should have been a KING?
Old September 5, 2003, 13:25   #4
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

A King could be vassal to an Emperor, as was the King of Bohemia to the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. The Crowns of Burgundy and Lotharingia were vacant, but any King would also have been a vassal of the Emperor (the Emperor himself was also King of Germany and Italy).

If you asked the Ottoman Sultan, the King of Hungary was his vassal, as he paid tribute (and later by conquest). The King of Serbia was a sometime vassal of the Ottomans.

IIRC, the King of Sweden was a vassal to the King of Denmark during the Union of Calmar

Since you wrote medieval I won't go into ancient kings and vassalage.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 5, 2003, 13:27   #5
chequita guevara
Emperor

BTW, Theoden is referred to as King Theoden.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 5, 2003, 13:28   #6
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
A King could be vassal to an Emperor, as was the King of Bohemia to the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. The Crowns of Burgundy and Lotharingia were vacant, but any King would also have been a vassal of the Emperor (the Emperor himself was also King of Germany and Italy).

If you asked the Ottoman Sultan, the King of Hungary was his vassal, as he paid tribute (and later by conquest). The King of Serbia was a sometime vassal of the Ottomans.

IIRC, the King of Sweden was a vassal to the King of Denmark during the Union of Calmar

Since you wrote medieval I won't go into ancient kings and vassalage.

Good historical points, re kings and emperors.

I personaly dont particulary see the Lord of the Mark becoming an Emperor and as for becoming a Deity , well that would stir the wrath of the Valar, for sure.
Old September 5, 2003, 13:29   #7
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
BTW, Theoden is referred to as King Theoden.
Old September 5, 2003, 13:34   #8
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Well, it had been thousands of years since the southern numenorians had control over Rohan. And I don't think the Steward of Gondor ever had ultimate authority over Rohan.

Or maybe I'm not remembering correctly.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old September 5, 2003, 13:36   #9
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
Well, it had been thousands of years since the southern numenorians had control over Rohan. And I don't think the Steward of Gondor had authority over Rohan.

Or maybe I'm not remembering correctly.
When the rohirrim came down from the north about 600 years prior to the war of the ring IIRC, the Rohirrim agreed to come to the aid of Gondor at need, in return for the land. That would seem to be the definition of a military fief. Dont think homage was mentioned though.

And no, the Steward did not claim authority over the INTERNAL affairs of Rohan - but the same was true at SOME times in regard to SOME vassals.

Note also that the Stewards were not KINGS.
Old September 5, 2003, 13:39   #10
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 03:17
Rohan is not a vassal state to Gondor
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old September 5, 2003, 13:39   #11
DanS
Deity

Quote:
Note also that the Stewards were not KINGS.
Of course.

Quote:
When the rohirrim came down from the north about 600 years prior to the war of the ring IIRC, the Rohirrim agreed to come to the aid of Gondor at need, in return for the land. That would seem to be the definition of a military fief. Dont think homage was mentioned though.
OK, then they would have made that deal with the Steward of Gondor? I don't have my book handy...
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old September 5, 2003, 13:43   #12
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:

OK, then they would have made that deal with the Steward of Gondor? I don't have my book handy...
yes with the Stewards, who were already ruling when the arrived, IIRC
Old September 5, 2003, 13:44   #13
lord of the mark
Deity

I am delighted that this is being treated as a serious thread about Tolkien and medieval history.
Old September 5, 2003, 13:46   #14
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Yes, the line of Kings in Gondor died out well before that. The King of Arthedain then laid claim to the Crown of Gondor, but the nobility of Gonder refused to be ruled by a Northerner.
Old September 5, 2003, 13:52   #15
DanS
Deity

That's a subject that I never figured out. The only reason why Aragorn was able to become King of Gondor was because his subjects (and most importantly Faramir) allowed that to be?

I'm going to have reread the appendices.
Old September 5, 2003, 13:57   #16
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
That's a subject that I never figured out. The only reason why Aragorn was able to become King of Gondor was because his subjects (and most importantly Faramir) allowed that to be?

I'm going to have reread the appendices.
By law, the heir of Elendil would become king, but it was up to the people of Gondor to recognize that someone was genuinely the heir. With the case of the king of Arthdain, they claimed he was not the true heir, IIRC. In the case of Aragorn there was no dispute.

BTW, dont you suppose, that in the dangerous times of the war of ring, that King Theoden maintained border posts? Along the borders with Dunland, Isengard, and along the river certainly, if not with Gondor? At least a thousand posts?
Old September 5, 2003, 14:16   #17
chequita guevara
Emperor

With Aragorn there was no dispute because of the ghosts.
Old September 5, 2003, 14:19   #18
lord of the mark
Deity

a thousand posts along the border indeed, to keep out Orcs, wraiths, etc

at least a thousand posts, or how else could the lord of the mark have been a king?

And no, he wouldnt have simply announced his title, for fear of the wrath of the Valar.
Old September 5, 2003, 15:15   #19
Turambar
Call to Power II Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Theoden was King of Rohan and Rohan was not a vassel state to Gondor!

It was and independant nation whose lands used to belong to Gondor but were formally given over to Eorl and his people by the Steward Cirion because Eorl came to Gondors aid during a time of war. And also because Gondor had diminished as a people and could no longer populate and defend such great a terrortory.

Cirion and Eorl also swore an alliance between their nations to come to each others aid in times of need. You'll remember Gondor calling upon Rohan to help during the War of the Ring (sending that red arrow).

So the relationship between them was one of allies not one being a vassel to the other.

Quote:
The time has come to discuss certain aspects of the Tolkien trilogy
Oh and Tolkien never wrote a trilogy! He wrote LoTR as one book which the publishers printed and released in three parts.
Old September 5, 2003, 15:18   #20
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Turambar
Theoden was King of Rohan and Rohan was not a vassel state to Gondor!

It was and independant nation whose lands used to belong to Gondor but were formally given over to Eorl and his people by the Steward Cirion because Eorl came to Gondors aid during a time of war. And also because Gondor had diminished as a people and could no longer populate and defend such great a terrortory.

Cirion and Eorl also swore an alliance between their nations to come to each others aid in times of need. You'll remember Gondor calling upon Rohan to help during the War of the Ring (sending that red arrow).

So the relationship between them was one of allies not one being a vassel to the other.
i do now recall "all hail theoden king!"

but a "mark" means a march or borderland, does it not - usually denoting a fief? Whence the title Marquis.

But im glad he wasnt Marquis of Rohan.
Old September 5, 2003, 15:22   #21
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Turambar
Oh and Tolkien never wrote a trilogy! He wrote LoTR as one book which the publishers printed and released in three parts.
He didn't give it to them as one book, but over several years.
Old September 7, 2003, 08:24   #22
Turambar
Call to Power II Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Quote:
He didn't give it to them as one book, but over several years.
Not sure where you got that idea from.

Tolkien gave it to them as one whole book. The publishers decided to publish it in three parts to keep printing costs down. Tolkien had in fact finished writing all of LoTR years before it got published in 1954 / 1955.
Old September 7, 2003, 14:33   #23
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

What are you all talking about?!?

Bilbo, Frodo, and Samwise wrote the Red Book of Westmarch (aka The Lord of the Rings)!
Old September 7, 2003, 15:50   #24
DanS
Deity

Quote:
With Aragorn there was no dispute because of the ghosts.
Bingo! That answers it.
Old September 7, 2003, 17:00   #25
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 10:17
Bilbo! It does.
Old September 7, 2003, 17:28   #26
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 10:17
Couldn't you have at least tried to make it a little more subtle lord of the mark?

Then again, your username is cooperating nicely...

Quote:
at least a thousand posts, or how else could the lord of the mark have been a king?
Old September 7, 2003, 18:04   #27
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Don't forget:
-The King of England, Richard Lionheart agreed to be vassal to the Emperor (a Hohenstaufen IIRC) in 1194.
-The King of England, John Lackland agreed to be vassal to the Pope in 1205.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old September 8, 2003, 12:08   #28
DanS
Deity

I reread the passages regarding Aragorn and the other point to prove that he was the King was that he had the hands of a healer.
Old September 9, 2003, 20:33   #29
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

I know this thread had slipped a few pages but I came across this site on the internet. I thought maybe some of you might like to look at it. Some may already know about it. It's a pretty good sized site. Lot's of info there.

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/default.htm
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old September 9, 2003, 21:05   #30
Lonestar
inmate
King

Yeah. Someone on Sd.net posted a link to that Encyclopedia. Good stuff.