Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 10:17
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Now you've started to mention links. Here's another excellent one:

http://people.wiesbaden.netsurf.de/~...h/M-earth.html
Old September 10, 2003, 18:55   #32
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 03:17
a truly unique way to announce a bump in title lotm
Old September 10, 2003, 19:38   #33
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:17
I guess you'd be right to conclude that the ruler of a "mark" shouldn't be given the title of "king", but sometimes a great leader is given an advancement of his title by virtue of some great service. As an example, the rulers of a small holding in southern Germany, the Hohenzollerens, acquired a margravate, i.e., Brandenberg. Later they acquired a duchy, Prussia. As the result of the favorable outcome of a war they were eventuially allowed to bear the title of "King in Prussia" even though none of their holdings were a kingdom.

Come to think of it Theoden was entitled "King of the Rohrrim" wasn't he?
Old September 10, 2003, 22:31   #34
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

IIRC, the men of rohan came down from the north to help Gondor in a time of war, and the king of gondor gave them the province of Rohan to rule as their own kingdom.

Hence, Lord of the Mark (province) and King both fit.
Old September 10, 2003, 22:53   #35
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 17:17
Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower
IIRC, the men of rohan came down from the north to help Gondor in a time of war, and the king of gondor gave them the province of Rohan to rule as their own kingdom..
Yeah - a desperation move by the Gondorians who didn't have enough forces to protect Calenardhon, so they gave it to a hairy bunch of Northmen.

Forgive me if I am wrong but isn't the only claim to fame the Northmen have before the Field of Celebrant, the fact that one "Fram" slew Scatha the Worm (a wingless dragon).
Old September 11, 2003, 00:31   #36
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 16:17
Quote:
Originally posted by Turambar
Oh and Tolkien never wrote a trilogy! He wrote LoTR as one book which the publishers printed and released in three parts.
*** Switching into LotR geek mode ***
Actually, Tolkien wrote the Lord of the Rings as six books which he wanted published seperately. The book was published in three parts, but still contains references to the six books.
*** Switching out of geek mode ***
Old September 11, 2003, 00:51   #37
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tingkai

*** Switching into LotR geek mode ***
Actually, Tolkien wrote the Lord of the Rings as six books which he wanted published seperately. The book was published in three parts, but still contains references to the six books.
*** Switching out of geek mode ***

Better hope that switch dont get broken
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old September 11, 2003, 00:59   #38
H Tower

yeah, you may never be able to return to geek mode ever again
Old September 11, 2003, 08:40   #39
axi
Prince

Local Time: 11:17
Quote:
Especially relevant in that the film of "Return of the KING" will soon be out.
IIRC, the title of the book "Return of the King" is referring to Aragorn and not to Theoden.

Also IIRC, in Unfinished Tales, Tolkien includes a passage where Aragorn and Eomer visit the tomb of an ancient king (Eorl?) which is at a hilltop exactly on the borders of Gondor and Rohan, in order to renew the treaty of permanent alliance between the two kingdoms. Alot is explained there about the relative status of the two kingdoms.
Old September 11, 2003, 09:40   #40
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 04:17
Quote:
Originally posted by axi

IIRC, the title of the book "Return of the King" is referring to Aragorn and not to Theoden.

Also IIRC, in Unfinished Tales, Tolkien includes a passage where Aragorn and Eomer visit the tomb of an ancient king (Eorl?) which is at a hilltop exactly on the borders of Gondor and Rohan, in order to renew the treaty of permanent alliance between the two kingdoms. Alot is explained there about the relative status of the two kingdoms.
Never read UT - Im not THAT much of a Tolkien geek - I did know that "Return" was reference to Aragorn - just wanted to get in as many "king" references as I could.
Old September 11, 2003, 15:11   #41
Turambar
Call to Power II Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 08:17
Quote:
No. He wrote it as one book! The fact it is split into 6 is porbably for storyline purposes etc. Do you have a quote from the Biography / letters to back that up btw?

Tolkien wrote LoTR in one go and intended for it to be published like that.

Quote:
Also IIRC, in Unfinished Tales, Tolkien includes a passage where Aragorn and Eomer visit the tomb of an ancient king (Eorl?) which is at a hilltop exactly on the borders of Gondor and Rohan, in order to renew the treaty of permanent alliance between the two kingdoms.
Isildur not Eorl. The original alliance was sworn there betweem Cirion and Eorl.
Old September 11, 2003, 15:15   #42
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:

No. He wrote it as one book! The fact it is split into 6 is porbably for storyline purposes etc. Do you have a quote from the Biography / letters to back that up btw?

Tolkien wrote LoTR in one go and intended for it to be published like that.

Isildur not Eorl. The original alliance was sworn there betweem Cirion and Eorl.
Wrong, it's Elendil's tomb. Isildur was lost in the Anduin at the Gladden fields.

Aragorn and Eomer do go there - it's in the endnotes.
Old September 11, 2003, 15:25   #43
Kaak
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 02:17
edit : nm, i was wrong...

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."
Old September 11, 2003, 15:34   #44
Turambar
Call to Power II Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 08:17
Quote:
Wrong, it's Elendil's tomb.
Doh. Close enough though
Old September 11, 2003, 15:36   #45
HershOstropoler
Settler

Local Time: 09:17
I have no idea about the legal matters of the lotr world, but for the euro medieval stuff:

"There were several english kings who held what had been fiefs of France"

Yes, but they did not hold their Kingdom as a french fief, but duchies and counties in France.

"A King could be vassal to an Emperor, as was the King of Bohemia to the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire."

The King of Bohemia was a vassal of the german king. The subtle difference matters when in eg 1276, Ottokar Pzremysl had to take Bohemia as a fief from King Rudolf, who was not emperor.

"The Crowns of Burgundy and Lotharingia were vacant"

The german kings were kings of Burgundy in personal union. Lothringen was just a duchy. Attempts to revive the Crown of Lothar (9th century) came only with the Dukes of Burgundy in the 15th century.

"but any King would also have been a vassal of the Emperor (the Emperor himself was also King of Germany and Italy)."

In theory, but this was rarely the case. More important was the idea that Kings could be cassals of the pope, like John Lackland (as Ramo said) or Peter I of Aragon.

As for the leader of a Mark becoming King: Austria started as a Mark with a Markgraf (Count, Marquis). It later became a duchy. In the 1240s, it almost became a kingdom, though still as a fief of the german King, similar to Bohemia. Frederick II and Frederick II (Emperor and Duke) had agreed on such a deal, but it fell apart later. So a Mark could become a Kingdom. What Strangelove mentions was different - a Markgraf acquiring another Kingdom.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old September 11, 2003, 15:42   #46
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:

Doh. Close enough though
Not enough for you to retain that nick, you newbie!!!!
Old September 11, 2003, 16:22   #47
Rogan Josh
Prince

Local Time: 09:17
My next door neighbour when I was young (I have moved since) was Tolkein's nurse at the end of his life. She was there when he died.
Old September 11, 2003, 16:23   #48
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 10:17
The Kings of Bavaria, Saxony and Württemberg were vassals to the Prussian King since he was also Kaiser from 1871 til 1918. Case closed.