Old September 6, 2003, 17:39   #1
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 00:20
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Bush's approval reaches new low
According to a Zogby poll, Bush's approval, has reached a new low - 45%
Only 2 years ago, his approval rating was 82%. Looks like my prediction was right, next November, he won't be able to beat Woody Allen.
Old September 6, 2003, 17:41   #2
The Andy-Man
Prince

Local Time: 08:20
well, 82% was artificcially hi, a donkey would have had that rating after sept 11th, and his rating was low enough before it happened.

besides, he didn't 'win' the last election, he dosn't need to 'win' htis on.
Old September 6, 2003, 17:47   #3
reismark
NationStatesApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:20
Good - Maybe America finally understands that monkeys with typewriters can do a better job than this idiot has. I can't believe he's ****ed up the *one* thing I agreed with him on...
Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)
Old September 6, 2003, 17:52   #4
The Andy-Man
Prince

monkeys with typewritters?

sureley, thats called... THE INTERNET!!!
Old September 6, 2003, 18:05   #5
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 02:20
Quote:
Good - Maybe America finally understands that monkeys with typewriters can do a better job than this idiot has.
IIRC, an institute in England put a few monkeys and a few computers in the same room. All they did was bang on the case, piss on the monitor, and repeatedly type 'S'.

But it still sounds like they could beat Bush.
Old September 6, 2003, 18:26   #6
Zulu Elephant
Prince

With a 51% turnout last time, this must be the first time in history that the entire population of the world is more interested in one state's election that the citizens of the state itself.

This election will effect the world far more than it will effect the USA
Old September 6, 2003, 18:47   #7
uh Clem
King

He's running behind Dad. From CBS News (Sept 2):

Quote:
WILL BUSH DEFINITELY BE RE-ELECTED [sic] IN 2004?
(Registered Voters)

George W. Bush
Now
Yes, re-elected
38%
No, a Democrat can win
50%

George H.W. Bush
11/1991
Yes, re-elected
47%
No, a Democrat can win
42%
Poll: Democratic Field's Wide Open
Old September 6, 2003, 18:51   #8
Menlas
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:20

I will open a bottle of Champagne if he's not reelected, I swear . Or maybe 2
Old September 6, 2003, 18:54   #9
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by uh Clem
He's running behind Dad. From CBS News (Sept 2):

Poll: Democratic Field's Wide Open
When I looked at the result of the poll it does not look as bad as you guys paint it to be. Personaly I think everyone of the people running on the Democratic side would not be very good president.

I think that if Bush can get the attacks to subside in Iraq he will get a good chance of winning in Nov. 2004 and that is still a year away and I think its way to early to tell when the democrats have not even picked who they want to run to go around saying who is going to win and who is going to lose this election.
Old September 6, 2003, 19:08   #10
uh Clem
King

Iraq can't save Bush now. He has nothing to gain there and a lot to lose. The best he can hope for is basically nothing, and if it blows up, well...

Nobody in the US is going to give a rat's ass about Iraq, if the economy does not regain the millions of lost jobs from the past 2.5 years. The Democrats can run Sponge Bob Squarepants, Sparky the Penguin, or Gary Coleman, and they'll still win.

It doesn't matter what the stock market's doing, it doesn't matter what housing is doing. Bush is virtually certain to be the first president since Herbert Hoover to preside over a net loss in jobs in the US.

Hoover didn't get a second term either.
Old September 6, 2003, 19:16   #11
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by uh Clem
Iraq can't save Bush now. He has nothing to gain there and a lot to lose. The best he can hope for is basically nothing, and if it blows up, well...

Nobody in the US is going to give a rat's ass about Iraq, if the economy does not regain the millions of lost jobs from the past 2.5 years. The Democrats can run Sponge Bob Squarepants, Sparky the Penguin, or Gary Coleman, and they'll still win.

It doesn't matter what the stock market's doing, it doesn't matter what housing is doing. Bush is virtually certain to be the first president since Herbert Hoover to preside over a net loss in jobs in the US.

Hoover didn't get a second term either.
I have seen mix news on the economy. On one hand consumer spending is going up, but on other the economy just lost anther 90,000 jobs. I know because I myself been looking for work for the past 3 months and have not gotten anything yet. But the economy might rebound with in the year it might not.

I though dont think a president is responsible for a good or bad economy. Though government can really screw things up I dont see how they can make people go out and buy more things to increase demand and have companies hire more people.
Old September 6, 2003, 19:21   #12
GePap
Emperor

Spending is up due to all the refinancing of mortages..that can;t go on forever. The economy grew 3% last quarter due to the war..but that is not sustainble. I ams rue the economy can continue to grow at 2.5%-3% for a few more quarters, but that does not seem enough to gain jobs, if after this last quarter 90,000 jobs were still lost.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old September 6, 2003, 19:25   #13
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

I'm pretty sure he could beat Woody Allen. It depends what kind of handicap you gave ol' Woody. I don't think Dubya could beat Woody if Woody had a katana. If he had a knife it would be a close call. Maybe we should send a petition to Celebrity Deathmatch. That would be fun.
My wit runneth over. Woo is me.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old September 6, 2003, 19:25   #14
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack_www

I think that if Bush can get the attacks to subside in Iraq he will get a good chance of winning in Nov. 2004
Jesus couldn't stop the attacks in Iraq. Terrorism in the Middle East has continued unabated since '48. Before he was he was Emperor, Bush ran vertually ever company he ran into the ground. He's not someone who could run a "Mission Impossible" team.

Where are all the neocoms hiding - the ones who said I was a leftwing nut? It's harder to label me nuts now that America has woken up.
Old September 6, 2003, 19:28   #15
The diplomat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by reismark
Good - Maybe America finally understands that monkeys with typewriters can do a better job than this idiot has. I can't believe he's ****ed up the *one* thing I agreed with him on...
Well, a monkey would be a better president than any of the 9 democrat candidates.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old September 6, 2003, 19:31   #16
The diplomat
King

Re: Bush's approval reaches new low
Quote:
Originally posted by realpolitic
According to a Zogby poll, Bush's approval, has reached a new low - 45%
Only 2 years ago, his approval rating was 82%. Looks like my prediction was right, next November, he won't be able to beat Woody Allen.
The 45% is not a real indicator because right now we have all the democrats running for their nomination but Bush doesn't have to run for his. So, basically you got all the dems that are the only ones out in the public campaigning.

It is still a year to the election. A lot can happen. When Bush starts campaigning, the numbers will shift to his favor.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old September 6, 2003, 19:43   #17
realpolitic
Prince

This poll does point to a successful Bush initiative
Operation Infinite Justice
Old September 6, 2003, 19:59   #18
geeslaka
Prince

Local Time: 01:20
Any guesses as to what the shortened name of that should be?
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old September 6, 2003, 20:00   #19
Jack_www
King

Quote:
Originally posted by realpolitic

Jesus couldn't stop the attacks in Iraq. Terrorism in the Middle East has continued unabated since '48. Before he was he was Emperor, Bush ran vertually ever company he ran into the ground. He's not someone who could run a "Mission Impossible" team.

Where are all the neocoms hiding - the ones who said I was a leftwing nut? It's harder to label me nuts now that America has woken up.
IT is possible that the US can get an Iraq government and army up and running with in the next year. THis would greatly reduce the attacks on US forces and show the American people that progress in Iraq is being made.
Old September 6, 2003, 20:00   #20
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Obviously it should be OIJ, you fool. You owe me a fried baloney sandwich now.
Horton heard a woo.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old September 6, 2003, 20:35   #21
Ned
King

If the economy picks up some steam, Bush wins.
Old September 6, 2003, 20:47   #22
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 03:20
Yep, it's all about the economy.
Something the president has really very little influence on.
Old September 6, 2003, 20:57   #23
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
Something the president has really very little influence on.

I think of all people, Bush has the MOST influence on the economy. What he does can make or break it.
Old September 6, 2003, 20:58   #24
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Local Time: 03:20
Zogby is traditionally one of the polls most biased towards the Democrats.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old September 6, 2003, 22:37   #25
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Re: Re: Bush's approval reaches new low
Quote:
Originally posted by The diplomat

The 45% is not a real indicator because right now we have all the democrats running for their nomination but Bush doesn't have to run for his. So, basically you got all the dems that are the only ones out in the public campaigning.

It is still a year to the election. A lot can happen. When Bush starts campaigning, the numbers will shift to his favor.
How many people are paying attention to the Democrats right now? Besides people keenly interested in politics, hardly any. The election is too far away for that. Hell, 2/3 of Democrats can't name any of the candidates, so saying the Democratic campaigning is somehow having an effect on Bush's approval rating is ludicrous. Presidential approval numbers simply aren't effected by opposition campaigning this early.

Bush's numbers are low because people have a low opinion of his performance, period. The Democrats don't have much to do with that (unfortunately, since they've mostly been so spineless).

To those who say the economy improving will ensure his victory--don't count on it. Right now the economy is in more dismal shape re: jobs than Bush Sr. had at this point in 1991. And Bush Sr.s' economy DID improve. The recession ended well before his defeat. The problem was that it was a jobless recovery. That's exactly what we're seeing right now.

History seems to be repeating itself with the Bushes...
Old September 6, 2003, 22:38   #26
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
Zogby is traditionally one of the polls most biased towards the Democrats.
You were called on this in another thread, and you slunk away. Put your money where your mouth is and show it. You were dead wrong on Zogby's numbers regarding the 2000 election.

Zogby has one of the best track records of all polling outfits when it comes to accuracy.
Old September 6, 2003, 22:52   #27
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

45%?

I don't think so, and interestingly, neither does Gallup, which has him at 59% overall.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/releases/pr030905.asp

GEORGE W. BUSH JOB APPROVAL ON ISSUES

2003 Aug 25-26

(sorted by "approve")

Approve
Disapprove
Terrorism

Overall Job Approval

The situation with Iraq

Foreign Affairs

Taxes

Energy policy

The economy

Healthcare policy

Medicare

The federal budget deficit

You can color numbers all kinds of ways, but it's wishful thinking that he is now at 45% overall, try to be intellectually honest in these threads, and they would be a LOT more interesting.
Old September 6, 2003, 22:55   #28
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Speaking of being intellectually honest, you could note that the Gallup numbers are from Aug 25-26, while the Zogby numbers above are from Sep 6. This in line with the trend of his steadily declining approval rating. Of course, different polling outfits will give various numbers, but the downward trend of late is undeniable.
Old September 6, 2003, 22:56   #29
Victor Galis
Emperor

The problem is this: The economy can grow at 3%, and that can still not be enough. Economic growth must outpace productivity growth AND the growth of the workforce COMBINED. Otherwise, the unemployment rate goes up and more people are unhappy.
Old September 6, 2003, 23:01   #30
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
Speaking of being intellectually honest, you could note that the Gallup numbers are from Aug 25-26, while the Zogby numbers above are from Sep 6. This in line with the trend of his steadily declining approval rating. Of course, different polling outfits will give various numbers, but the downward trend of late is undeniable.
You believe his points dropped 14 percentage points in 10 days?

You know that isn't the case, the same as I do Boris, and you trust Zogby polls more than Gallup?