Old September 11, 2003, 03:12   #151
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 01:20
Local Date: November 2, 2010
9/11 was just a rude awakening for me. For one thing I was awakened early by the phone ringing.

I do not like waking up to such carnage.

that post looks too self-centered doesn't it? I should care more about what the new yorkers went through. but new york is so far away. it's so difficult to relate.

9/11 positives: we have shown terrorists we are not as weak as they think we are

I still haven't figured out why they hit the pentagon. Did they really think they were going to destroy the whole thing and hamper our retaliatory abilities?
Old September 11, 2003, 03:33   #152
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 04:20
Well, I slept through most of 9/11. I got woken up in late morning by my cousin who called me on the phone.

Yes, I got that euphoria and all, but I wasn't too surprised by the whole thing.

On a good note, its my brother in law's 8th wedding anniversary.
Old September 11, 2003, 04:50   #153
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 20:20
All of a sudden the quote in my signature fits today more than any other day.
Old September 11, 2003, 05:04   #154
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 20:20
I was in England on September 11th and I heard nothing until I got home. My mother was sitting in the conservatory and told me that the World Trade Centre had been hit by a plane. I said "Whatever" and got myself a drink. I went into the living room just as the 2nd plane hit the towers. I sat down and spilled my drink. And that was me. I did not know anyone in the WTC. I have not been to the United States. However something struck me that day. I had never been affected by wars in Africa. I cared not a jot about a refugee crisis in deepest Peru. However, something struck me that day.

And again, I am always remembering what struck me that day, despite the fact it is intangible. For the best, I suppose.
Old September 11, 2003, 05:29   #155
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 02:20
I still remember that day as if it was yesterday. I received a call by a family member telling me to turn on the TV. I saw all the smoke, she said the twin towers had been hit by airliners and collapsed (yes I'm a lazy bastard who woke up late that day). I couldn't believe it, it's just one of those things that you can't imagine ever happening.

My mother was in Washington at the time. She said it was terrible. I visited New York that december and the feeling of sorrow and fear still lingered everywhere. I was especially shocked at a bunch of letters and pictures posted in a passage at Grand Central. It was all so hard to swallow.

This kind of tragedies are simply horrible no matter how you look at it. No matter what you may think of the US or what those attacks have led to, it takes a terribly inhumane person to not acknowledge that 3,000 lives lost in an instant is something that no country should ever have to bear, nor should a city so beautiful and proud as New York.

Let us never forget, so that such a thing may never happen anywhere in the world again.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old September 11, 2003, 05:34   #156
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

On another note, I would just like to mention that 2003 also marks the 30th anniversary of another terrible tragedy that happened on this very day on this very hemishpere. In 1973 on 9/11 Augusto Pinochet toppled the democratic government of Allende in Chile and led to a 16 year long dictatorship in which tens of thousands of people, many of them just barely college students, were murdered or simply "disappeared".

Another tragedy hit us this very day. Swedish foreign minister Anna Lindh was stabbed in a store and died of her wounds. She was a very respected and loved official in her country, and her loss is a truly horrible event.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old September 11, 2003, 07:19   #157
OliverFA
PtWDG RoleplaySpanish CiversInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesCiv4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 10:20
What are my thoughts?

It's incredible how some people has forgoten about what 9/11 was just after two years. It's incredible how this people is more concerned about atacking Americans, trolling and threadjacking, even at this sad day. It's also incredible how they don't understand that Europe is also in the list. London, Paris, Berlin, Rome, Madrid, and many other European cities are also objectives. Moscow has been attacked by the terrorists (the same terrorists) recently. And also we don't have to forget the terrorist attacks in Asia.

Sadly we Spanish people knew terrorism since lot of years before 9/11/2001, and for that reason I understand the meaning of this terrible attack. I wouldn't wish it even for the ungrateful governs of France and Germany.

So I'm with all of the good people who died or lost some dear friend or relative that sad day. I sincerely hope that their deaths were not in vain. This day shall never be forgotten
Old September 11, 2003, 08:15   #158
MOBIUS
Emperor

Local Time: 18:20
I started watching the news just before the second plane hit - it was unbelievable! Sure it was happening but I just couldn't believe it, it didn't seem real and the whole day took on a 'spaced' effect as I sat glued to the TV for the whole day as the reports flooded in...

It sounds weird but I had the same feeling when I found out that Princess Diana died - you are being told something that should not be so, but is so...

Obviously I felt for all those that lost their lives - especially those trapped on the top floors of the WTC with nowhere to go.

What really hit home for me was visiting NY in Jan '02 and seeing the huge hole of ground zero - that gap in the buildings really left me cold. I couldn't bring myself to actually walk up the ramp to the viewing platform - somehow I thought that would be disrespectful being a non American. Almost like another thing to see as a tourist - voyeuristic. Instead I spend a few quiet minutes reading all the messages on the railings by the church there in contemplation...
Old September 11, 2003, 08:23   #159
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 03:20
Quote:
Originally posted by MOBIUS
What really hit home for me was visiting NY in Jan '02 and seeing the huge hole of ground zero - that gap in the buildings really left me cold. I couldn't bring myself to actually walk up the ramp to the viewing platform - somehow I thought that would be disrespectful being a non American. Almost like another thing to see as a tourist - voyeuristic. Instead I spend a few quiet minutes reading all the messages on the railings by the church there in contemplation...
Most Americans would not object to you being there. Most of understand that this was not just an American tragedy, but a World tragedy. It is a place we should all stand together, regardless of where we come from. It was an attack against us all. There, of all places, we should unite and say with one loud voice to the forces of evil..."Never Again."
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old September 11, 2003, 08:31   #160
MOBIUS
Emperor

Local Time: 18:20
Quote:
Originally posted by PLATO
Most Americans would not object to you being there. Most of understand that this was not just an American tragedy, but a World tragedy. It is a place we should all stand together, regardless of where we come from. It was an attack against us all. There, of all places, we should unite and say with one loud voice to the forces of evil..."Never Again."
Perhaps not but I objected to myself being there, because it almost felt like being another thing to 'see' in NY. I felt it more respectful just to stand at the bottom of the ramp by the street...
Old September 11, 2003, 08:36   #161
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MOBIUS

Perhaps not but I objected to myself being there, because it almost felt like being another thing to 'see' in NY. I felt it more respectful just to stand at the bottom of the ramp by the street...
As your concience was your guide, who can object? You post makes it obvious that you stand with us all in spirit.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old September 11, 2003, 08:37   #162
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

*sniff*
Old September 11, 2003, 09:36   #163
lord of the mark
Deity

May He who makes peace in heaven send peace to us and to all who mourn.
Old September 11, 2003, 10:54   #164
MrFun
Emperor

I sometimes question my government's policies, and even when it doesn't seem like it, I am grateful that I live in the United States.

I was very much moved by the volunteers who flooded into New York City on 9/11 doing whatever type of work needed to be done -- counseling/comforting, serving food/beverages, cleaning up, coordinating other people's work, and so forth.

Last year on the first anniversary, students from St. Ambrose University, where I graduated from, had a special ceremony in their campus chapel, and I attended it. There, some of our fellow students who went to New York City days after the attack, who did various volunteer work, in moving voices, recollected to us, what they did.

One or two students broke down somewhat as they spoke last year on that day.
Old September 11, 2003, 13:00   #165
MrFun
Emperor

Are there any differences for anyone between the first anniversary last year, and this year's anniversary?
Old September 11, 2003, 13:05   #166
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 08:20
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
Are there any differences for anyone between the first anniversary last year, and this year's anniversary?
A lot more subdued, I think, than last year, but still somber. The usual hustle and bustle of a typical day is quieter. I see a lot of people looking introspective as they move through their day.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old September 11, 2003, 13:07   #167
MrFun
Emperor

I saw on CNN the readng of the names ceremony -- the playing of the taps made me choke with emotion a little.
Old September 11, 2003, 13:07   #168
Estilpón
Spanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by OliverFA
Sadly we Spanish people knew terrorism since lot of years before 9/11/2001, and for that reason I understand the meaning of this terrible attack.

Quote:
I wouldn't wish it even for the ungrateful governs of France and Germany.
¿uh? estoy alucinando, (si he comprendido bien)
"Cuando ha adoptado una decisión, el entendimiento humano se apoya en todo lo demás para corroborarlo. Y por grande que sea el número y el peso de casos que caen del otro lado, los pasa por alto o desprecia, o mediante alguna distinción los margina o rechaza, a fin de que la autoridad de su primitiva conclusión permanezca incólume". F.Bacon
Old September 11, 2003, 13:12   #169
Timexwatch
King

El no legustaria terrorismo en los gobiernos de Francia y Alemania aunque no aprecian el situacion de Espana, Los Estados Unidos, Israel y mas...
Old September 11, 2003, 13:14   #170
MrFun
Emperor

Hables en ingles por favor!!

No hables en espanol porque poco hombres comprende espanol.

gracias
Old September 11, 2003, 13:16   #171
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

"I hear you, the whole world hears you, and the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon!"
- President Bush @ Ground Zero, in response to the crowd chanting USA, 9/14/01

Old September 11, 2003, 13:16   #172
Timexwatch
King

Lo siento, hablare ingles de ahora encendido.
Old September 11, 2003, 13:18   #173
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Timexwatch
Lo siento, hablare ingles de ahora encendido.
ok -- in all seriousness, back to English

please
Old September 11, 2003, 13:31   #174
Estilpón
Spanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

Quote:
El no legustaria terrorismo en los gobiernos de Francia y Alemania aunque no aprecian el situacion de Espana, Los Estados Unidos, Israel y mas...

first, he's from "new europe"

second, do you remember the Old Europe? do you remember Rumsfeld & Germany?

I think... he's thinking... about another

-----> ¿¿¿ungrateful??? <--------

"Cuando ha adoptado una decisión, el entendimiento humano se apoya en todo lo demás para corroborarlo. Y por grande que sea el número y el peso de casos que caen del otro lado, los pasa por alto o desprecia, o mediante alguna distinción los margina o rechaza, a fin de que la autoridad de su primitiva conclusión permanezca incólume". F.Bacon
Old September 11, 2003, 14:11   #175
HershOstropoler
Settler

Local Time: 09:20
I was at work when the two planes hit the WTC. It looked unreal, and all the web newssites inaccessible added to that. It was an act of mass murder, and it's a sad day of rememberance today. Everything else is a different issue, for today.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old September 11, 2003, 14:21   #176
MrFun
Emperor

Well, it was unreal to all of us, I'm sure.

I never saw the first, LIVE camera shots of the two planes crashing, but when I saw re-plays, it punches me in the gut.
Old September 11, 2003, 15:03   #177
OliverFA
PtWDG RoleplaySpanish CiversInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesCiv4 SP Democracy Game
King

Quote:
Completely right.
Old September 11, 2003, 15:05   #178
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
Last year was still too soon to think about it. I avoided TV and the media as much as possible because I was afraid of how horrible the maudlin treacle would be (think NBC's coverage of the Olypmics but for 9/11).

It still brings tears to my eyes.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 11, 2003, 15:10   #179
chequita guevara
Emperor

I was at work when it happened, coding some web page when I heard my know it all co-worker talking in the background about how terrorists hate us because we're a free society. He was answernig an Indian coworker who had apparently asked why someone would do this (this while most of the world still thought the crash was a horrible accident).

CNN was overwhelmed by hits, and no one could find out anythin at work about what was going on. I pulled up Poly on my pc, and began relaying news to people as you guys posted it here. That's how we were able to follow the news. Later in the day one of my coworkers discovered we could get to the finance section of CNN, which was running the same news, and finally we got a tv to get outside stations (it was tied to an internal channel).

Still, for a few hours, ACS OT was how the tech workers at Citibank stayed connected to the world.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 11, 2003, 15:19   #180
chequita guevara
Emperor

I had moved to Jaacksonville only a month before the atttacks. I was accutely aware of not being around friends and family. It was the day after I had moved into my new apartment from my hotel.

After work I went to Target to get some things for my new place. I spent a few hours watching TV in the electronics section.

I spent that night sitting in an empty apartment on an inflatable matress listening to NPR, which went to classical music at 8PM. That was one of the loneliest nights of my life.

Waking up alone the next morning was almost worse. It was the first thing I thought about when I woke up. It was real, and not some horrible, horrible dream. I don't remember anything else about that day at all.

Just about everynoe else in the country had people to relate to, to comfort and be comforted by. I didn't even have a phone. I have never felt the lack of human company so much in my life.