Old September 7, 2003, 11:25   #1
Barley
Call to Power II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 08:22
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Athletes wanted.
This thread if for the athletes among us, or at least those of us that like to keep in shape, so please no trolling if your not interested in the discussion.

I was wondering if we have any Poly members that are seriously into Running, Swimming, Cycling or Triathlons.

I have run two London Marathons (nothing fantastic, my best was 4:06:??) however I have taken the bull by the horns and entered an Ironman which is July 2004 (a lot to do to get fit enough in only 10 months).

Let us know what type of sport or athletics you do, we can maybe discuss a bit of training tips and other things. Oh and if there are any of you in the UK that are interested we could meet up for some training or races?
Old September 7, 2003, 11:36   #2
Soul Survivor
Settler

Right now I'm training for the 2007 chicago marathon!

Hopefully I can get up to 70-80 miles per week by then

Right now my legs seem to break down as soon as I try to go over 50

The swimming would kill me in the iron man... litterally I'd probably drown.

If you have the time you can do some easy biking/swimming in the morning and harder running in the afternoon, possibly followed by some easy swimming. And on different days you can switch it up, and make your long workout biking or swimming. Over the summer I did this a few times a week and its not that tiring as long as you don't push yourself during the "easy" parts.

But you should concentrate on whatever area you are weakest in. Nonetheless you should be running almost every day so you build strenght and not mass from swimming/biking.

Then again I'm no expert, I'm sure there are websites which can give more detailed training plans.
Old September 7, 2003, 11:38   #3
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Local Time: 04:22
training for a marathon 4 years away? well damn...
Old September 7, 2003, 13:41   #4
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 01:22
I consider myself fairly athletic, but I pretty much confine myself to going to the gym and the occasional rollerblading/jogging. Marathons? Too much sweat!
Old September 7, 2003, 15:12   #5
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 10:22
Re: Athletes wanted.
Quote:
Originally posted by Barley
This thread if for the athletes among us, or at least those of us that like to keep in shape, so please no trolling if your not interested in the discussion.

I was wondering if we have any Poly members that are seriously into Running, Swimming, Cycling or Triathlons.

I have run two London Marathons (nothing fantastic, my best was 4:06:??) however I have taken the bull by the horns and entered an Ironman which is July 2004 (a lot to do to get fit enough in only 10 months).

Let us know what type of sport or athletics you do, we can maybe discuss a bit of training tips and other things. Oh and if there are any of you in the UK that are interested we could meet up for some training or races?
hi ,

are you looking for a training program or so , ......

do you watch your food , ......???

smoking , drinking , etc , ..... more info is needed

have a nice day
Old September 7, 2003, 15:54   #6
DanielXY
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 09:22
I guess everyone is watching his food now and than
Old September 7, 2003, 15:58   #7
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 10:22
Quote:
Originally posted by DanielXY
I guess everyone is watching his food now and than
hi ,

now and then aint going to do it , .......

a dieet is as much important as training is , ......

have a nice day
Old September 7, 2003, 16:02   #8
DanielXY
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Warlord

Ok to build up muscle you have to eat lot of proteins, get your vitamins/minerals, keep low on fat. And thats about it. Not much to look after, or did I miss something?
Old September 7, 2003, 16:18   #9
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 00:22
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Can't say I'm a marathon runner, but I do keep in shape. And I could whip any Apolytoner's ass at basketball .
Old September 7, 2003, 16:32   #10
C0ckney
King

my mate is on about me and him doing the london marathon one year, i said no this year (because i'd die ) but maybe next year.

can anyone enter barley, or do you need to have done some other things of this type? i heard someone mention that you had to have done at least 2 half-marathons, but i don't know if there is any truth in this.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old September 7, 2003, 16:35   #11
Soul Survivor
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by DanielXY
Ok to build up muscle you have to eat lot of proteins, get your vitamins/minerals, keep low on fat. And thats about it. Not much to look after, or did I miss something?
Balanced diet is key. If you want to build muscle then you need more proteins, but if you're training for an aerobic race you want to make your muscles more efficent rather than bigger and stronger. In that case you'll want as much as 3:1:1 carbs : protein : fat. Fats are also very important for almost everything, as long as its the right kind of fat, ie non-animal fats. Vitamins are very important too, without zinc, vitamin C etc your muscles will take significantly longer to recover from workouts. Calcium and vitamin D are also important for bone health, you don't want to end up with a stress fracture. Water is also very important, you need water to break complex carbs into simple sugars your cells can use, dehydration will also cause lactic acid to accumulate in your muscles. But too much water will remove electrolytes out of your body, which makes you sweat less and leads to heat exhaustion.

I'm sure theres more that I'm just not thinking of....
Old September 7, 2003, 18:09   #12
Barley
Call to Power II Multiplayer
Prince

I wasn’t really looking for any training programs, though maybe in a couple of weeks when ive finalised my program for the last 4 – 6 months before the Ironman I will post some of the basics.

My reason for choosing to do an Ironman is as a motivator to change my lifestyle. I smoke, drink to many fizzy drinks and beer. All that will have to stop though ill have a few beers now and then though will be very strict in the final 3 months. At the moment im just rebuilding basic fitness as ive been unable to do much aerobic exercise for a year due to a prelonged hamstring problem which is thankfully now ok.

Cockney: Anyone 18 or over can enter the London Marathon, its about £27 or so, you can find the application forms in most good sports shops - JJB Sport have them. The London Marathon takes place on about the third Sunday in April and even someone who never runs could (if they put in some hard work) complete it in less than 5 hours (a respectable time) from only 4 months training. The application deadline is usually mid October by the way. You are not guaranteed a place as the race is oversubscribed but as a first timer you have a much better chance. If you cannot get in through the main selection process ‘the ballot’ you can run for a charity (they usually ask you to commit to raising £1000 in exchange for a free place).

Soul Survivor: I assume by the distances and intensity of the program you follow that your pretty experience though 2007 seems a long way off lol. What sort of time you aiming for?
Old September 8, 2003, 09:43   #13
Sloth
Warlord

I'm running my first half at the end of September...target time 2 hours.
Old September 8, 2003, 11:01   #14
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 03:22
Re: Athletes wanted.
Quote:
. . . please no trolling if your not interested in the discussion.
Old September 8, 2003, 11:17   #15
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

I used to compete a atheltics, but I just try to keep fit now. I used to run 100m, 200m, 400m, 400m hurdles and 100m hurdles. And I have been known to enter the odd decathalon for fun. However I got injured a few years ago, and ept going back and then a few months later it would go again, so in the end I gave up. However it's been a few years, so thinking of starting again soon.

I used to do sprint training twice a week, hurdles training once a week, weights twice a week and aerobic exercise once or twice a week. Sprint training was done on the local track, and consited of 45 mins warming up, 30 mins doing technique work, about 10 repetitions of between 70% and 95% effort, and then warm down. Usually took about 2 and a half hours. Hurdles training was similar, but with more technique work and less repetitions.

On that I ran a 100m in about 11.6 seconds, 200m in 23.9 and 100m hurdles in 13.9 - which wasn't too bad for a 15 year old.

Now I just do weights once or twice a week, cycle to work every day and go for occasional runs/cycles when I have time. I coached the school athletics team until I left in June.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old September 8, 2003, 11:40   #16
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
so please no trolling if your not interested in the discussion

At least you said please, so I'll be nice

I use to run 6-8 miles a day and was in the swim club until I was a Sophmore in College - that is when I started smoking. Suks, now, I really want to get back into it, but I would need to stop it with the cancer sticks. My dad runs with our neighbor and that guy runs marathons, as does my old running partner. Yet, I can't run with that guy any more as he has just got out of the Rangers and dang he is fast! 12 miles in 1 hour! 1.5 hours if he has an 85 pound pack on!

I doubt I would be able to keep up even if I bothered to run any more.

Well, to all you keeping in shape
Old September 8, 2003, 11:58   #17
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i work out off and on. it usually works out that i'll get into it with a friend, and work out for a month or two, and then drop it because of work or something else (laziness / apathy).

so, in a given year i'd say i go to the gym maybe 50 times.
Old September 8, 2003, 12:02   #18
C0ckney
King

cheers barley, i'll have a word with my mate about it, migth make a go of it this year.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old September 8, 2003, 12:04   #19
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I haven't been doing much besides running and lifting for the past 2 and a half years (I try to work out a few times a week, for an hour or two). I used to wrestle, but nowadays, Floyd is teaching me Brazilian Jijitsu. And I'm starting to fence (taking a class on it).
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old September 8, 2003, 13:32   #20
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 01:22
My last marathon was 3:13. I have run four with the next coming up on Canadian Thanksgiving weekend. My goal is to break 3:10.

I've only run BC marathons in Victoria, Kelowna and Vancouver. It would be a dream for me to do a huge well-known one like London, Berlin, New York, Chicago or Boston.

I'm 7 minutes faster than my Boston qualifying time so I am tempted to go there at some point. London and NY could be tougher to plan for because of the lottery. Although if I can shave my time down to 3:00 I can avoid the NY lottery.
Old September 8, 2003, 14:26   #21
Timexwatch
King

I was an avid cyclist before college, notching anywhere between 80 and 120 miles per week. I did two legs of RAGBRAI (Mr.Fun knows what I'm talking about) and ended up getting heavy knee strain, so I confine myself to no more than 20 miles on a bike and 30 in the gym.
Old September 8, 2003, 21:28   #22
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Quote:
And I could whip any Apolytoner's ass at basketball
say what? white boys cant jump
Old September 8, 2003, 21:49   #23
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Athletes, pathological liars - they're all the same, aren't they?

White boys gotta play other white boys to jump, or else they gotta pay off all the other kids to let them.

Japher, have you bagged Ms. Chokesondik yet? I hear she's Reno's sister.
Old September 8, 2003, 23:08   #24
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Albert Speer
say what? white boys cant jump
This one can . In fact I think someone said that to me last night and got dunked on twice.
Old September 8, 2003, 23:23   #25
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

they're not dunks when you make a lay-up and tap the rim with a single finger
Old September 8, 2003, 23:48   #26
Soul Survivor
Settler

Quote:
Soul Survivor: I assume by the distances and intensity of the program you follow that your pretty experience though 2007 seems a long way off lol. What sort of time you aiming for?
well so far the furthest I've ever run is 16 miles, and I've never raced anything over 5k.

!The marathon is a nice long term goal (I've got a bet with one of my friends), plus I'm STILL recovering from pretty major foot surgery last winter. That more than anything has been limiting my mileage. I'm running a half-marathon in October and I'll probably run around 1:40, but I'd like to break 1:30. I've been doing a good ammount of speedwork over the summer for the mile - which I'm running this weekend

Quote:
My reason for choosing to do an Ironman is as a motivator to change my lifestyle. I smoke, drink to many fizzy drinks and beer. All that will have to stop though ill have a few beers now and then though will be very strict in the final 3 months.
With drinking I have a pretty good system, you don't drink for 3 weeks, then drink heavily for one weekend and then take the 4th week easy. Then the next week start your hard training again. It gives your body a break, plus you can still get completely wasted every once in a while AND it has virtually no impact on your training.
Old September 8, 2003, 23:51   #27
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

I usually run 6 miles a day or play Ultimate Frisbee. I've got to share my love for Ultimate, best sport on the planet to play
Old September 8, 2003, 23:59   #28
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

what the hell is ultimate frisbee?
Old September 9, 2003, 00:10   #29
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Quote:
what the hell is ultimate frisbee?

http://www.upa.org/
Old September 9, 2003, 00:25   #30
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Quote:
they're not dunks when you make a lay-up and tap the rim with a single finger
You're absolutely right... but when the whole backboard is shaking and everyone's pointing at the other guy, it usually passes as a decent dunk .