Old September 8, 2003, 16:47   #121
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:22
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
It's an oath,
Same difference. An oath is an oral contract.

Quote:
and the situation is incomparable. He volunteered, he knew what was expected, he knew what was required, and he refused.
So debtors' prisons and indentured servitude are morally fine as long as these institutions are in the legal code?

Quote:
Personal "ethical" considerations are alien to any contract.
And I was making the case that if the USMC contract should be a special case as Imran asserted, then it should demand less of a punishment than reneging on a standard contract.

Quote:
I'm not quite sure I understand your train of thought. If we are going to continue with the contract analogy, the penalties the soldier suffered these actions were spelled out before he even joined the Marines in the UCMJ.
My train of thought is simply this:
Breaking a contract on military service should be held to the same standards as breaking any other contract, namely payment of civil damages equivalent to the military benefits acrued - financial aid for college, etc., particularly as a military service contract entails the possibility of getting killed or killing others. If putting a person in prison for breaking a contract of military service is moral, then institutions such as indentured servitude, which I hope most regard as immoral, should be also considered moral as the same dynamics are involved.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old September 8, 2003, 16:49   #122
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

One of the requirements. I like that.
The main requirement, you mean.
Old September 8, 2003, 16:52   #123
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
One of the requirements. I like that.
The main requirement, you mean.
Well you have to maintain physical fitness and not go apeshit and beat up your 22 yo Lieutenant who couldn't find his ass with a GPS.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old September 8, 2003, 16:56   #124
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

That's true. Whooping up on 2nd Lieuy's is mandatory.
Old September 8, 2003, 21:08   #125
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 04:22
Quote:
Why does that matter, if they pay back the military benefits?
Because we decided that ain't enough. Pay attention . It's moral because the majority and the government decided it was.

Quote:
So debtors' prisons and indentured servitude are morally fine as long as these institutions are in the legal code?
I'd say yes.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old September 9, 2003, 01:37   #126
Mordoch
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:22
Quote:
Originally posted by Ramo
Breaking a contract on military service should be held to the same standards as breaking any other contract, namely payment of civil damages equivalent to the military benefits acrued - financial aid for college, etc., particularly as a military service contract entails the possibility of getting killed or killing others. If putting a person in prison for breaking a contract of military service is moral, then institutions such as indentured servitude, which I hope most regard as immoral, should be also considered moral as the same dynamics are involved.
There is a huge problem with implementing the policy you suggest. Unless you actually look forward to going to war and the possibility you may be killed, when you sign up for the military you are gambling that you may serve out your tenure without personally getting involved in a military conflict. This is in many respects a calculated risk in which you hope you get the financial benefits of potentially having to put your life at risk without having to do so.

If you just are able to get out of it by paying back any extra money you made for being in the military, (this is especially true of the reserves) you don't have that much to lose since the worst case scenario has you back in the financial situation in which you started and otherwise you get the extra money without any risk of having to fufill your end of the bargain. Even financial penalties beyond what you made would not be sufficient since if an individual has no money he can simply declare bankrupcy and at that point go on his way.

Furthermore, if this was done on a sufficiently mass scale, it could actually jeperdize national security. If 20,000 reservists suddenly announce they don't intend to serve, this means that the government suddenly doesn't have 20,000 trained military personnel they thought they had. Such a situation could even occur when the US is suddenly fighting a defensive war in which it was directly attacked if the reservists base their decisions on the logic I mentioned above. Therefore, the government does not merely need to discourage such conduct based on the financial costs such behavoir could incur, but also due to the potential risks to national security.

(On the rest of your point, we could debate the draft and what our duties as citizens are, but that would seem to be a topic for an entirely new thread.)
Old September 9, 2003, 01:44   #127
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Breaking a contract on military service should be held to the same standards as breaking any other contract, namely payment of civil damages equivalent to the military benefits acrued - financial aid for college, etc., particularly as a military service contract entails the possibility of getting killed or killing others.
If he found those consequences unacceptable, he either should have reported for duty or not joined at all.
Old September 9, 2003, 01:59   #128
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 00:22
Quote:
Your train of thought is still at the station.

Desertion in time of war is not an offense just against the branch of service, or against the government. In time of war, it is an offense against every man (and woman) in the deserter's unit who do their duty shorthanded, and at greater risk due to the deserter's absence. It is an offense against every man (and woman) in every unit which is dependent upon the function and support of the deserter's unit.

It effects the efficiency of the engaged army as a whole, and in time of war, that puts other's lives at risk. Frankly, I wouldn't be bent out of shape if the CM had decided to grow some balls for once and gave this SOB a rope.

If you're familiar with the Eddie Slovik case at all, his desertion, and the ratcheting up of the penalty, were a result of an epidemic of desertions by replacement troops who figured "**** it, and everyone else - I'll just do a short stretch of time and save my ass."

If I die, or someone in my squad dies, because some yellow ********er somewhere down the line decides his life is more valuable than ours, don't expect me to be overly sympathetic to the poor dear who didn't want to be inconvenienced to live up to his oath and do his duty.

This ******* got off easy, and it's a disgrace that the USMC has gotten so soft that the other 27 aren't prosecuted and prosecuted hard. Semper Fi my ass.
Old September 9, 2003, 03:54   #129
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 16:22
Quote:

Same difference. An oath is an oral contract.
An oath is not an oral contract. Not under the UCMJ and not in a court of law. If you break it you pay a large price, whether its for perjury or desertion.

OTOH though the death penalty is too harsh for failing to report. Desertion under fire, treason or espionage during wartime and you shoot the SoB without a second thought.
But not for failing to report.

At a guess he and the couple of dozen like him weren't of such great consequence - hence why an example, and only a light one at that, is being made out of only one of them.
They can probably all consider themselves extremely lucky ...
Old September 9, 2003, 04:03   #130
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 16:22
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
This ******* got off easy, and it's a disgrace that the USMC has gotten so soft that the other 27 aren't prosecuted and prosecuted hard. Semper Fi my ass.
Oh it gets worse...

"There were 27 other Marines who declared themselves conscientious objectors to the Iraq war. Like Funk, all were transferred to New Orleans for processing but none of the others was prosecuted because they reported for duty on time, the Marines said.

"Of the 27, 16 were granted conscientious objector status, said Capt. Jeffrey Pool, a Marine spokesman. Five were denied and the other cases are pending."
http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...objector.story
Old September 9, 2003, 09:06   #131
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

I wonder if a certain absent Texas Air National Guardsmen will ever face justice...
Old September 9, 2003, 09:15   #132
HershOstropoler
Settler

Local Time: 09:22
You have conscientious objector status for volunteer soldiers? How hard is it to leave the US military before your "contract" expires?
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old September 9, 2003, 09:45   #133
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Sava, find a new song to hum, will ya ?

Hersh, your contract is valid until separation.
Old September 9, 2003, 11:43   #134
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by HershOstropoler
You have conscientious objector status for volunteer soldiers? How hard is it to leave the US military before your "contract" expires?
In the real military, it was damn nigh impossible. Nowadays? Who knows. Since they started this touchy-feely BS, it seems like things have gone to hell in a bucket.
Old September 9, 2003, 11:47   #135
DinoDoc
Deity

Outside of a draft, I don't see how anyone in the military gets conscientious objector status at all because you have to willingly sign up for military service. Doing that kind of removes you from consideration as being a conscientious objector IMO.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old September 9, 2003, 11:56   #136
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Sava, find a new song to hum, will ya ?

Hersh, your contract is valid until separation.
Nah, because I know the field day you'd be having if we had a Dem prez who had been AWOL for over a year and never faced justice.

But I guess you only care about desertion if it is done by "anti-war" people, right?
Old September 9, 2003, 11:59   #137
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

WTF are you talking about now?

Have you considered a mental analysis?
Old September 9, 2003, 12:01   #138
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
WTF are you talking about now?
Your hypocrisy...
Quote:
Have you considered a mental analysis?
huh huh huh huh, you said "anal"
Old September 9, 2003, 12:10   #139
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Outside of a draft, I don't see how anyone in the military gets conscientious objector status at all because you have to willingly sign up for military service. Doing that kind of removes you from consideration as being a conscientious objector IMO.
I hate to say it, but I agree with that. And it's a bit odd, because I think that's the rule even for our opera army.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old September 9, 2003, 12:27   #140
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

This is pretty cut and dried. They guy signed up voluntarily. He knew what he was expected to do. Then, when called upon to actually DO it, he refused. That's just piss poor, and deserving of punishment. The others, who got off completely... that's just insane.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 9, 2003, 12:58   #141
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
Nah, because I know the field day you'd be having if we had a Dem prez who had been AWOL for over a year and never faced justice.
You mean like Clinton's letter to the guy thanking him for getting him out of the draft?

Or Gore's bullshit tour where he was protected from any harm and rotated out early?

Or LBJ's bullshit direct commission, and his bullsit Silver Star for going part way out on a single mission, on a plane that aborted it's mission for a mysterious mechanical problem that couldn't be reproduced, delivering the Congressman turned Lt. Commander safely back to base, whereupon he was returned to the US, and released from duty so he could go back to being a Congressman, but with his fake "hero" ticket punched?

Shall I go on, Savita?
Old September 9, 2003, 13:12   #142
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
I agree with this. You know that if you join the millitary you could be called up at any time, sent any were in the world and fight a war that started for a bunch of different reasons. To change your mind when the fighting comes does not make any sense to me anyways.
Old September 9, 2003, 13:45   #143
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

There were two people that got out of my unit after we were alerted for duty. One went out and got his doctor to write up that he had Sleep apnea after a guy in another unit had gotten out with the same thing. (The other guy was willing to go and had actually kept it from the medical people until it was found out.) The other was a female that somehow got a transfer from our unit to STARC (State Area Command). STARC is known as the unit that never goes anywhere. The commander made a promise to us that she would never be in his company again for as long has he was commander.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old September 10, 2003, 13:11   #144
My Wife Hates CIV
Civilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 08:22
gezz MtG... you are a mod. perhaps you should set a better example around here (i'm talking about some of your 'colorful' posts.

6 months. hmmm... i guess i would have to think about that. i mean how bad can 6 months be. i did 8 months on a carrier three times (pretty much the same thing). I would have guessed the sentence to be more.
Old September 10, 2003, 13:26   #145
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Quote:
I'm with Dino on this one. It's an all-volunteer armed forces... this isn't "playing soldier", this is being an actual ****ing soldier.
Old September 10, 2003, 13:36   #146
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by My Wife Hates CIV
gezz MtG... you are a mod. perhaps you should set a better example around here (i'm talking about some of your 'colorful' posts.
(a) We're talking about a deserter. I'm being gentle.

(b) Sometimes I forget some words aren't censored that probably should be, and some are that probably shouldn't be.
Old September 10, 2003, 13:44   #147
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
You mean like Clinton's letter to the guy thanking him for getting him out of the draft?

Or Gore's bullshit tour where he was protected from any harm and rotated out early?
Did not the Republicans make much hay out of these? And yet, neither is the same as deserting from your unit for 18 months and then struting around on an aircraft carrier calling yuorself a hero.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 10, 2003, 13:51   #148
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

I'm not a fan of the carrier landing, especially as I know the bit about it not delaying arrival home is bullshit - I saw the carrier from the hills here, for about two full days longer than is normal for a CV offloading it's aircraft before going into port.

OTOH, it's silly to debate which form of chicken-choking "daddy, save me" fun and games is worse. They're all bogus, and they're all insults to men like John McCain, John Kerry, Bob Kerrey, Zell Miller, etc.
Old September 10, 2003, 15:10   #149
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by HershOstropoler
I hate to say it, but I agree with that.
Why do you hate to say it? It just means that one of us is getting more intelligent.
Old September 10, 2003, 15:21   #150
HershOstropoler
Settler

I'm rather concerned it could mean one of us is getting dumber.