Old September 10, 2003, 16:11   #151
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 01:22
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by HershOstropoler
I hate to say it, but I agree with that. And it's a bit odd, because I think that's the rule even for our opera army.
I have to agree to. It's pretty clear these people aren' tconscientious objectors but are simply cowards who got coldfeet and deserted when they were asked to do their duty.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 10, 2003, 16:18   #152
HershOstropoler
Settler

Local Time: 09:22
Also it is possible to leave voluntary military service; just if people are on a mission, any terminatiion takes effect only after the end of that mission. I assume that's similar for the US military?

Conscientious objection by volunteers only makes sense if there is a sudden and complete change of mind, which would have to be proven.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old September 10, 2003, 16:25   #153
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 10:22
When I was in that age, anybody refusing conscription got at least 1 month in jail. But that was during the cold war, when Sweden could mobilize 700 000 men with bicycles and sub-machine guns.

Today we have a smaller and sharper army where only a 1/3 of the male population is conscripted, so I guess it is easier to bail out without getting punished now.