Old September 7, 2003, 18:00   #1
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 03:23
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Draft Minister of War Report - 1400AD
This is what I am *proposing* to send to the President. Since we have a couple of days before he commences playing, I wanted to offer it for discussion.

---------------------

MINISTER OF WAR REPORT – 1400AD

1. The Citizens have spoken. They have decided that it would be best not to attack either of our known enemies, the Americans and Greeks, at the moment. They have also decided that it would be best to build up our strength, the better to crush our enemies later.

2. The defense of Enron is greater than it needs to be. Both Pax Apolyton and Dominion could use some assistance. Pax’s defense is weaker. Move the Knight in Enron to Pax Apolyton. It should have an offensive unit. It will take 2 turns. The Majestica Knight can aid Dominion in a pinch, when it is healed.

3. Some cities are threatened by hostile units.

A. New Apocalyps – If the Greek Catapult moves to the river or grass square, we should attack it with the Archer. If it moves onto the Mountain, I recommend we absorb its attack. It is probably a vet. Attacking it there with the wounded Archer would 2-3 battle, defending against it would be 9-9. If it sits and fortifies on the Mountain, we need the Knight being built there to attack it when complete.

B. Sheol – American Catapult will certainly move next to the city. Attack it with the vet Musketeer. Move the Musketeer north of the city into the city and fortify everyone on this turn. The Chariot can continue east to explore and seek huts.

4. City-Planner Shade has asked that I determine the city-orders for Buffalo, Styx, and Sheol.

A. Buffalo – Keep building the City Walls. The defense is only a Legion and a Diplomat. If an attacker shows up, you will probably have to try to bribe it.

B. Styx – Complete the Musketeer, it won’t cost any shield support. Build a Canon afterwards.

C. Sheol – Continue the City Walls. Build a Canon afterwards.

5. Cincinnati – Even though the Citizens decided not to mount a major attack on the Americans at the moment, I think we should try to pick off Cincinnati before it builds City Walls. At size 3, it probably has a Temple and 1 defender. Our 2 Crusaders near there are both vets and will attack at 7. Even if there are 2 defenders there, we should win. But a defender might be a 2-move unit, so I want to approach safely. The nearer Crusader should move east 1 then north 1 (might take 2 turns). The further Crusader should move northeast 2 then north 1 (will take 2 turns). On the 3rd turn, they can both attack. Attack with the one from Havoc first, since that one costs a shield per turn.

6. Obsolete Units – We should reduce our shield support requirements by disbanding obsolete units to complete newer ones. It looks like it will be a while before we can take Leo’s (if we ever can before it expires)so we need to have the most effective units we can manage. In most cities, we need Martial Law, so this disbanding should be done to complete a replacement unit or when rushing a replacement unit so we don’t leave ourselves short of Martial Law. Since I am not sure of the effects on Xinning in some of the cities’ shield production, I can give no specific years.

A. Newton – Disband the Phalanx when it will complete the unit with the expected turn shield production.

B. Majestica – Next time we build a newer unit there, try to disband the Phalanx at the appropriate time to contribute its 10 shields to the completion.

C. Pestilence – Use the Phalanx to complete the Musketeer when 10 shields will suffice.

D. Phlegethon – Fortify the Musketeer.

7. Get us into Fundamentalism as quickly as possible. Monarchy is becoming ruinous!

---------------------

Discussion invited...
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old September 8, 2003, 01:54   #2
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

7. Get us into Fundamentalism as quickly as possible. Monarchy is becoming ruinous!

I concur.

As for building up armies, we need to in order to make an offensive force capable of tackling the fortified american cities.
Old September 8, 2003, 05:31   #3
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 20:23
4. - This seems rather good planning - the city at risk with only a Legion has a Diplo. We should try to ensure there is a diplo in every lightly defended city that is at some risk from our pesky neighbours. However, we need to be aware that the Americans could become a Democracy at any time, and then the Diplo is useless in bribery! Please make sure we have adequate defenses rushed if an attack is feared as soon as the Americans start to switch government!

5. Without the benefit of a tactical map, I can only trust the Minister of War in this. Fortunately, given his proven career founded on serving the Imperium, this is not a stretch

6. If we disband a unit to finish a newly-built unit, does the unit appear to act as MP before disorder? If not then we cannot disband anything until its replacement has arrived. We have to be super-careful here against disorder, wherever possible, as every turn lost is quite substantial to our poor stretched little Kingdom.

All else looks good enought that comments would just be further +1s.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old September 8, 2003, 06:08   #4
shade
King

Local Time: 09:23
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
6. If we disband a unit to finish a newly-built unit, does the unit appear to act as MP before disorder? If not then we cannot disband anything until its replacement has arrived. We have to be super-careful here against disorder, wherever possible, as every turn lost is quite substantial to our poor stretched little Kingdom.
the technique works fine( I used it in the previous session) and also adviced it to our President.

maybe an idea for Sheol: it has no Barracks yet--> build them and get vet cannons and muskets?

(CP-reports won't be posted due to way to extensive tables )

Shade
Old September 8, 2003, 12:30   #5
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 10:23
Good planning

I just have one question:
Quote:
A. Buffalo – Keep building the City Walls. The defense is only a Legion and a Diplomat. If an attacker shows up, you will probably have to try to bribe it.
Wouldnt it be better to build baracks and then a vet musk?
This would absorb all aunits the Americans can put against it and we can build more vet units for future attacks on Americans.

Quote:
(CP-reports won't be posted due to way to extensive tables )
Old September 8, 2003, 18:45   #6
cavebear
Emperor

Well, actually a Barracks then a Musketeer looks like a pretty good idea for Buffalo. It will get us both of those 3 turns faster than City Walls will take, and the immediate defense would be stronger.
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul