Old September 7, 2003, 18:39   #1
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 08:23
Local Date: November 2, 2010
What's the general evaluation process at Boot Camp
Which type of personalities and talent become what kind of soldiers? I'm not going to Israel if I simply become that psycho 12.7 gunner from Full Metal Jacket

Advice from Vets and currently serving appreciated...
Old September 7, 2003, 18:39   #2
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 01:23
they let anyone in.

They let me in the military didn't they?
Old September 7, 2003, 18:40   #3
Zylka
King

I'm talking about how they assign
Old September 7, 2003, 18:40   #4
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 03:23
Test are done prior to reporting.
Old September 7, 2003, 18:40   #5
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

a lot of it is based on ASVAB scores

If you have a high enough score, then you can opt to go in a program. I had like a 90 on my ASVAB, and I was available to go into any field I wanted to.
Old September 7, 2003, 18:44   #6
Zylka
King

What is the test comprised of?
Old September 7, 2003, 18:57   #7
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:23
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
a lot of it is based on ASVAB scores

If you have a high enough score, then you can opt to go in a program. I had like a 90 on my ASVAB, and I was available to go into any field I wanted to.
Only a 90?

99 here bub. Those people called me for weeks.
Old September 7, 2003, 18:59   #8
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Anyone have stats showing the breakdown of scores for each branch of the military?
Old September 7, 2003, 19:00   #9
Zylka
King

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT THE TESTS ARE MORE OR LESS ABOUT FOR ME, PLEASE

I have no idea what I'm doing, do I
Old September 7, 2003, 19:03   #10
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

A simple google search:

http://www.goarmy.com/util/asvab1.htm

Got 8/8. I can become part of an Army of One. Yay.
Old September 7, 2003, 19:10   #11
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 00:23
They are extremely easy tests Zylka. It's all pretty much common sense stuff. I wouldn't worry too much about them.

And getting a high score isn't too much to brag about, the Navy called my ass for 3 years straight after I took it.

Mis Novias
Old September 7, 2003, 19:12   #12
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

it has basic math. nothing complicated. no algebra except maybe the really easy stuff. I think it does have some basic geometry.

I think there is reading/reading comprehension

there is a mechanical section. It basically shows gears and pulleys and you have to determine which way the object should be turning/moving

I think there is an electrical section as well. I can't remember anything about that. I didn't know **** about electricity back then.
Old September 7, 2003, 19:14   #13
Zylka
King

Ok - but once you get into your prefered/available department, isn't there further categorizing? How does that work
Old September 7, 2003, 19:22   #14
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

well it's not that simple.

A high ASVAB score will get you the necessary qualifications to enter a field- there may be phsycical requirements. Eyesight, not being color-blind.

That doesn't guarantee that you will get that field. You will want to get it in writing. As for the nuclear field in the US navy you will need to take an additional test at the MEPS center. And even then that only guarantees you are in the program (assuming you don't screw up and get busted for drugs or something). There are 3 ratings in the nuclear field. I wanted to be an ET I think. I wasn't really interested in Machinist Mate- but that's what I got stuck with (they determined this when you entered boot camp- I think they just gave me MM because of my high scores on the mechanical portion of the ASVAB). And in the machinist mate rating after completing all the schools you can elect to be an ELT (you cannot be color blind to enter this field). But ELT is a code of 3386 I believe- it is not a rating.

Anyways back on topic. Some fields have enlistment bonus'. Again you will want to get that stuff in writing.

Once you complete the schools and head out. You then go into the appropiate division. But they can still put you wherever they like for workcenters. Even within a division there can be many various types of duties/work. As an ELT we had water chemistry and radiological controls work centers along with health/physics. but we all did the same watchstations pretty much.

So when you report to your command they could put you anywhere.

Much of that is based on the navy. I'm not sure how the army/marines work. But they have classifications as well. They can elect to be a mehcanic who works on aircraft. The default I'd imagine is Infrantryman. That's probably where you end up if you don't make it through the various schools.
Old September 8, 2003, 00:40   #15
Kirnwaffen
Warlord

Local Time: 02:23
Of course, the process will not be the same if you go for the IDF.

Anyways, the same basic process applies for the Army. You go down to MEPS and take your ASVAB. You get your scores the same day, and you talk with your recruiter about the which MOSs (Military Occupational Specialties) are available to you.

However, your recruiter actually has very little to do with which MOS you are assigned. They give you the information and designation, but you're the one who has to get up at some god forsaken hour (usually around 3:45 AM) to go down to MEPS, where you get a full physical, drug tests, etc. When that's all over, you sit down with a 'career counselor'. This is the person that will get you your MOS. Listen carefully to what he/she says, and make sure it's all in writing (in the Army, you get exactly squat that isn't in your contract). You get your papers, sign some of them, then go get finger printed, do your life insurance, and sign some more stuff. Then you come back and sign some more stuff, get a second physical if you're airborne, and come back to pick up everything. Then you can leave (usually between noon and 3:00 PM). Later, you ship, and you go through BCT. If you make it, you go to AIT, where you learn your job skill. If you fail here at any point, you will either be recycled or redesignated, and trained again. Fail enough times, or fail badly enough, and you'll be out all together. Any bonuses they give you are paid after you complete the training for which the bonus was awarded. If you fail or are injured in a way that prevents you from completing the training, guess what?!
(Though, if you're injured in training, and it has nothing to due with a pre-existing condition that they didn't tell you about, you're pretty well off as far as medical insurance is concerned. At least, that's what they tell me. )

P.S. ASVAB scores of 115 or higher in any category qualify you for any MOS requiring a specific score in that category. GT is the most important category. Do well here, and you're pretty well set.
Old September 8, 2003, 01:06   #16
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 10:23
Quote:
Ok - but once you get into your prefered/available department, isn't there further categorizing? How does that work
I'm not sure how it is done in the IDF.

It depends alot on your commanders.
Old September 8, 2003, 03:41   #17
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Zylka
I'm talking about how they assign
In the US Army you take a test long before you leave for boot camp and you know what your job will be based upon your test scores.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.