Old September 9, 2003, 16:39   #61
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 01:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
and contrary to what DanS said, the US has no intention of toppling the dictatorship there. she has no interest in doing it. they dont care if you die by the thousands due to pakistani terrorism, unless, of course, you make them care.
Stop trolling you hairy hoplite. Of course the US cares and we'd like to see all terrorism cease we just helped Pakistan out because they agreed to give up the Taliban if we did so.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 9, 2003, 16:42   #62
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 04:27
Damnit, Oerdin, I put him on ignore for a reason.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 9, 2003, 16:44   #63
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 01:27
Naw, he doesn't need to be ignored. He does need to be corrected every now and then though.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 9, 2003, 17:22   #64
lord of the mark
Deity

Re: Can America finish terrorism alone ?
Quote:
Originally posted by aneeshm
Watching the news today , I just had to post this .

How many here actually believe that America can go against terrorists alone ?

LOTM - no of course we cant go it alone. WE are cooperting with nations around the world in the struggle against terrorism.

How many people think that war after war after war is the solution to the terrorism menace .

LOTM - The war against the Taliban was certainly necessary and has deprived AQ of its most important base. Whether the war on iraq helped is a matter of dispute - realistically its too soon to say. Will there be any more conventional wars against states? I hope not, but there may be situations where it will become necessary.

Living in India , terrorism is nothing new . You felt it two years ago . I knew it from birth . On the 25th of August , two blasts killed more than a hundred people in the city of Mumbai . On the 7th of Sept. , a car bomb killed seven people in Srinagar . Most people here must not even have heard of this .

LOTM - I heard about terrorism directed against India before 9/11, but I have certainly paid much closer attention since 9/11. The taliban emerged out of Pakistani Jihadi groups, the same ones that have attacked India (and also attacked Christians, Shiites, and others in Pakistan) Your war IS our war, to a very great extent.

Such things keep happening , and no-one pays any attention . Do the American people seriously think they can finish terrorists just by army operations wherever and whenever they so choose ?

LOTM - We need much more than army operations. We need police operations, intel, cutting off of funds to terrorist - and at the same time we need to transform the muslim world, to make it less amenbale to terrorism.

We learnt long ago that you cannot do it that way . We are still trying , though , and without much success .

LOTM - India has never so far as I know, attacked the terrorist bases in Pakistan. The only conventional fighting India has done in the last 30 years against Pakistan has been along the LOC in Kashmir - the terrorist bases are much deeper within Pakistan. Given the balance of power in the region it would have been too dangerous. At some point the US needs to press Pakistan to eliminate the domestic Jihadi groups - with the threat that we will lean toward India and alter the balance if that is not done. For now we are busy elsewhere, and are willing to accept such cooperation as we have gotten from Pakistan.

In my opinion , no nation , not even the sole superpower , can do this alone . You cannot enlist support by invading anyone . Only through a global consensus of all affected nations , not a Coalition of the Willing (or America's puppets) , can this be contained . And the faster Americans realize this , the better for them and the lives of theis troops .

LOTM - we will use as wide a consensus as possible. But when we must move with a narrower coalition we will.

Again , I ask , how many here feel America can do this alone ?

No one does, and I dont think there is anyplace in the world now where America is acting alone.
Old September 9, 2003, 18:11   #65
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Food , we have no problems except in distribution (we , in fact , have the largest stored stocks in the world of rice and wheat) .
Well WE have the world's biggest stock of burger patties and fried chicken! If you had stocks of fries and biscuits we could do some business.
Old September 9, 2003, 18:56   #66
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 02:27
Europeans take terrorism very seriously. The first terrorist attack in te US was in 1993: almost all European contries by then had seen decades of terrorist acts: the French waged a very brutal war in Ageria, the Spaniards have the Basques, the UK North Ireland, Germany, italy and Greece left-wing groups. Compare secutiry at a European airport to that in the US..big difference. 9/11 did not make the us all of a sudden experts on terrorism..t did scare the utter bejesus out of Americans because of the unprecedented scope of the attack.

No state can end terrorism, all states could not end terrorism..a war on terrorism is like a war on war: terrorism is a political phenomenon, and any time in which you have one side or groups that whishes to transform the political landscape and is too weak to wage conventional war to do it we will have terrorism. Even if the US broke Al Qaeda and militant Islam ended, terrorism would continue. Reember the Tamil tigers and FARC are two of the largest terrorist orgs in the world and they have 0 to do with militant Islam.

The point is that each individual political problem need s to be solved in whicever ways are best, and that brings about the specific campaign of terrorism.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old September 9, 2003, 18:59   #67
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

You know, maybe we need a man like Genghis Khan right now!
Old September 9, 2003, 19:00   #68
GePap
Emperor

Hardly...he wouldn't care much abount simple brigands having some "fun".
Old September 9, 2003, 19:08   #69
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

He would if they tried to blow up Xanadu!
Old September 9, 2003, 22:22   #70
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

That was Kublai Khan.

Genghiz is the dude who murdered everyone in Bukhara and stacked their skulls outsided the city because they took a bit long in surrendering.
Old September 9, 2003, 22:46   #71
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 00:27
USA never said it was going to do it either alone or by military means only.

We will win this if it takes the next 100 years.

paiktis is a piece of sh1t by the way. Go shave your back you fuc king p ussy ass b1tch.

Mis Novias
Old September 9, 2003, 22:50   #72
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Striker
If we are still fighting this in 100 years, then something went horrbily wrong somewhere.

The point is a "war on terrorism" is unwinnable (like a "war on war"). Now, a "war on Al qaeda", that we can win.
Old September 9, 2003, 22:53   #73
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I'm talking about Al Queda

And whatever dumbass organization decides the want to step up and get their asses kicked.

Mis Novias
Old September 9, 2003, 22:55   #74
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Abu Sayeff is also on the list

Mis Novias
Old September 9, 2003, 23:36   #75
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by St Leo
That was Kublai Khan.

Genghiz is the dude who murdered everyone in Bukhara and stacked their skulls outsided the city because they took a bit long in surrendering.
Sounds like a plan to me.
Old September 10, 2003, 01:13   #76
aneeshm
King

Local Time: 13:57
No trolling , please ! Yes , Europe has faced terrorism for a long time . That may be a reasom why many European nations do not support the war on terror , but would rather go for covert assassinations of terrorist leaders .
Old September 10, 2003, 01:19   #77
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Europe has never had an attack on the scale of 9/11 though

USA also conducts assassinations

Predator drones tracking down fools and blowing them
up

I'd give anything to be at the controls

Or just give me a 9 so I can pull the trigger

Mis Novias
Old September 10, 2003, 01:42   #78
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 08:27
Can America finish terrorism alone?

No. Quite simply, America can't finish terrorism period.
Old September 10, 2003, 13:54   #79
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap

If we are still fighting this in 100 years, then something went horrbily wrong somewhere.

The point is a "war on terrorism" is unwinnable (like a "war on war"). Now, a "war on Al qaeda", that we can win.
I agree that a war on terrorism is unwinnable - like a "war on crime" - something we will always have with us. A war on the Gambino crime family was winnable, however as you imply.

I think it was not mistaken to make it more generally a "war on all the linked Cosa Nostra rooted crime organizations in New YorK" rather than to focus on one organization.

Similarly what we have now is a war on Salafist-jihadist terrorism - a complex interlinked set of organizations and actors, not just the Al Qaeeda itself. For a variety of reasons, Bush could not be explicit about that.
Old September 10, 2003, 13:55   #80
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
No trolling , please ! Yes , Europe has faced terrorism for a long time . That may be a reasom why many European nations do not support the war on terror , but would rather go for covert assassinations of terrorist leaders .
I think theres some confusion here - what european nations do you think dont support the war on terrorism?
Old September 10, 2003, 13:57   #81
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap

something went horribly wrong somewhere, even if al qaeeda disappears tomorrow.

See bernard lewis "what went wrong"
Old September 10, 2003, 14:00   #82
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 10:27
Yesterday I saw a documentation about the war on terror - the main idea was that Al Qaeda isnīt just a terror org anymore, it is more a kind of ideology now that would work even without Bin Laden, since there are enough fundamentalist groups out there.

This cannot be won (if it can) purely militarily. Military action can be an option against those who are backed by regimes like the taleban, and are able to carry our large scale attacks, but it doesnīt help against a myriad of small terror cells.
Old September 10, 2003, 14:19   #83
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by BeBro
Yesterday I saw a documentation about the war on terror - the main idea was that Al Qaeda isnīt just a terror org anymore, it is more a kind of ideology now that would work even without Bin Laden, since there are enough fundamentalist groups out there.

This cannot be won (if it can) purely militarily. Military action can be an option against those who are backed by regimes like the taleban, and are able to carry our large scale attacks, but it doesnīt help against a myriad of small terror cells.
actually it was an ideology before Bin laden. AQ is itself rooted in the world of Pakistani jihadism, and the jihadi - deobandie madrassahs of Northwest pakistan. Which were associated with various pakistani groups that engaged in terrorist violence. Similarly Salafist violence was involved in the Algerian civil war, and a similar civil war in Egypt, which started with the Murder of Sadat. Bin ladens innovation was to take the war directly to the "infidels", instead of focusing on their "puppets". The ideological roots go far back as well, and include Sayed Qutb and the Egyptian Islamic brotherhoods, and other extremist interpreters of Wahabism.
Old September 10, 2003, 14:32   #84
BeBro
Emperor

Well, they didnīt mean fundamentalism or islamistic terror didnīt exist before OBL, the film makers just had the thesis that "Al Quaeda" itself became a kind of popular symbol or icon within the Arab world. The idea was that now it doesnīt need some big masterminds like OBL anymore to form new terror cells, the process has its own dynamics so that many muslims with fundamentalist tendencies now will form a lot of small terror orgs not neccessarily connected to eachother, and without a common "program" - what they have in common is just the hate against all westerners and the will to kill them.
Old September 10, 2003, 14:48   #85
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Quote:
We are mainly worried about organizations that can pull off complicated terrorist actions away from home base. This kind of capable organization isn't very common. The ideology has been around for quite a while, but it's only been in the last 10 years or so that a group has been able to become sufficiently organized to cause us much concern.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old September 10, 2003, 14:54   #86
BeBro
Emperor

But currently in Iraq small actions that take place everyday create enough problems, although a lot may be come from Saddam loyalists, not neccessarily fundamentalists. However, they said also in that movie that Iraq now is a kind of paradise for people who simply want to attack the evil Americans (kind of terror-tourism)...
Old September 10, 2003, 15:11   #87
aneeshm
King

Local Time: 13:57
The longer the US and the coalition stay in control of Iraq and Afghanistan , the more organised and powerful the resistance will become . For the first time , the terrorists have found sometning to shoot at on the ground , not the air .
Old September 10, 2003, 15:33   #88
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Quote:
However, they said also in that movie that Iraq now is a kind of paradise for people who simply want to attack the evil Americans (kind of terror-tourism)...
The underlying message is that the terrorists are free to attack our troops. The jihadists got creamed in the war and over time we will get the better of the exchange in this second wave. Our troops are strong and can deal with these guys. This is the flypaper theory.

Sabotage and attacks against non-collaborating civilians is an interesting subject, though.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old September 10, 2003, 15:39   #89
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 03:27
Re: Can America finish terrorism alone ?
Quote:
Living in India , terrorism is nothing new . You felt it two years ago . I knew it from birth . On the 25th of August , two blasts killed more than a hundred people in the city of Mumbai . On the 7th of Sept. , a car bomb killed seven people in Srinagar . Most people here must not even have heard of this .

Again , I ask , how many here feel America can do this alone ?
Out of curiosity has the Indian government taken action against Hindu terror groups such as the Vishva Hindu Parishad?
Old September 10, 2003, 15:48   #90
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Striker
USA never said it was going to do it either alone or by military means only.

paiktis is a piece of sh1t by the way. Go shave your back you fuc king p ussy ass b1tch.

ooooh... is that ghetto talk?