Old September 9, 2003, 18:50   #1
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 03:29
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Rough Day In Israel. Anyone Heard From Anyone ?
Suicide Bombers Strike Twice in Israel
31 minutes ago
By JASON KEYSER and MATTHEW ROSENBERG, Associated Press Writers

JERUSALEM - Twin suicide bombings killed at least 13 people and wounded at least 45 in Israel on Tuesday — striking a bus stop crowded with Israeli soldiers in a Tel Aviv suburb and then a cafe in a Jewish neighborhood of Jerusalem. The attacks underscored the collapse of U.S.-backed peace efforts.

There have been about 100 suicide bombings against Israelis over the last three years, but rarely have two attacks been carried out on the same day. Both bombers also died in Tuesday's blasts, which happened about 5 1/2 hours apart.

There was no claim of responsibility for either attack. But Hamas praised both bombings and dozens celebrated in the Gaza Strip (news - web sites), firing assault rifles into the air. The Islamic militant group had been expected to avenge Israel's attempt on the life of its spiritual leader on Saturday.

Earlier Tuesday, Israeli troops in the West Bank city of Hebron killed two Hamas members and a 12-year-old bystander and exploded a seven-story apartment building where the militants had been hiding.

The violence came amid political uncertainty after the resignation of the Palestinian prime minister, with an increasing number of Israeli officials calling for the expulsion of Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat (news - web sites).

Israeli government spokesman Avi Pazner said after the first suicide attack that "the responsibility is shared between the organization that carried out the atrocity and the Palestinian Authority (news - web sites) that did nothing to prevent it, and Israel will react accordingly."

Ahmed Qureia, whom Arafat has asked to become Palestinian prime minister, said: "We express our regrets and pain for the innocent lives (lost) as a result of violence and counter-violence. Such an act stresses once again the necessity that both the Palestinian and Israeli leadership ... search for ways to end this killing."

U.S. State Department spokesman Richard Boucher, speaking after the first bombing, said the attack "underscores the urgency with which the Palestinian Authority needs to take immediate and effective steps to dismantle and disarm the terrorist capabilities."

The bombers struck while Prime Minister Ariel Sharon (news - web sites) was visiting India. Militants have often carried out attacks during Sharon's trips — occasionally causing him to return. A senior Israeli official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Sharon's India tour would continue.

The second suicide attack took place about 11:20 p.m. Tuesday, when a bomber struck at the popular Cafe Hillel on a strip with many restaurants and small shops. Ambulances rushed to the residential German Colony area of Jewish west Jerusalem, and workers carried away the wounded on stretchers.

At least six people were killed in addition to the bomber and more than 30 were wounded, according to the Magen David Adom rescue service.

Police said the bomber managed to get into the cafe even though two security guards were posted at the entrance — one inside the door and one outside.

Jerusalem police commander Mickey Levy told Israel Radio one guard tried to stop the attacker, and that he then set off the bomb.

"I have a store next to the cafe. I arrived just a few moments after the blast. I saw things that just can't be described, there are no words," said a witness who identified himself only as Shavi.

After the bombing, hundreds of people milled about near the cafe's shattered front windows. One body lay at the cafe's entrance covered in a white blanket; the street was strewn with glass.

A supporting column inside the cafe was splattered with blood.

The blast set off the alarms of dozens of parked cars. Police broke car windows to check for bombs.

Police cordoned off the area while rescue workers treated sobbing victims, and a dazed, wounded man sat on the street, holding a bloody T-shirt to his head.

The first attack, in Rishon Letzion, took place about 6 p.m. The bomber walked up to a bus stop crowded with Israeli soldiers and set off the devise as the servicemen were waiting for rides home outside the Tsrifin army base.

Seven people were killed in addition to the bomber, police said. Fifteen people were being treated at the hospital, all but one of them soldiers, spokeswoman Nurit Nehemia said. Others were treated for minor injuries and released.

Cpl. Eyal Schneider, 20, was walking toward the bus stop when he heard the explosion and saw a fireball. "People were running from the bus stop shouting 'Bomb! Bomb!' " he said.

Ambulances lined up at the scene and rescue workers rushed to aid screaming victims.

"I saw the bodies, the body parts strewn around, heard the screams, and tried to help," said one witness, who gave his name only as Roy.

Hours later, the aluminum walls of the bus shelter remained splattered with blood.

The White House denounced the attacks.

"We condemn this act of terrorism and extend our condolences to loved ones of those killed or injured," said White House deputy press secretary Claire Buchan, traveling with President Bush (news - web sites) in Jacksonville, Fla.

Qureia has not yet formally accepted Arafat's offer of the prime minister's post. The offer came after Mahmoud Abbas resigned as premier on Saturday, frustrated with four months in office in which he wrangled with Arafat and failed to persuade Israel to ease security measures imposed on Palestinians.

Qureia — a former top peace negotiator — has sought guarantees that if he accepts the post, Israel would do more to implement its obligations under the U.S.-backed "road map" peace plan. Israel has not frozen settlement-building or withdrawn from most Palestinian towns, saying the Palestinians must first dismantle militant groups.

A senior Israeli official said on condition of anonymity that Qureia's terms were not acceptable.

Israeli officials had hoped dealing with Abbas might succeed in sidelining Arafat, whom they accuse of fomenting terrorism. And Israeli leaders have been cautious about Qureia as prime minister.

"We will judge any Palestinian prime minister by his actions," Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom said. "He will have to decide whether he stands with Arafat or whether he stands against terrorism. His first step must be to make the strategic decision to dismantle the infrastructure of terrorism."

Qureia said he will "not be under an Israeli dictate" but reiterated that the Palestinians are "committed to the road map" — a blueprint for ending violence and establishing a Palestinian state by 2005.

He and other Palestinian leaders accuse the Israelis of making the situation worse by carrying out airstrikes against Hamas militants following last month's bus bombing in Jerusalem that killed 22 people.

The Israeli strikes have killed 12 Hamas members and five bystanders.
Old September 9, 2003, 18:59   #2
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 02:29
No israeli posters appear to be logged on currently..might be too busy with news: As far as I know, few live in either Tel Aviv or Jerusalem (Haifa is the center). Siro and Eli have yet to make threads on the issue.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old September 9, 2003, 19:08   #3
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

I had seen the News Flash after first bombing.
Probably even though not in the location it has all's attention.
It just gets grimmer and grimmer.
Old September 9, 2003, 19:11   #4
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 01:29
There can be no peace until the radical palestinian leadership are all executed for their war crimes.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 9, 2003, 19:51   #5
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

I don't know what to say about it anymore. I just hope all the poly posters are ok.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old September 9, 2003, 20:00   #6
GePap
Emperor

Cheap prediction
By Christmans time Israel will have invaded Gaza and brought it under military rule again: the invasion will be, to use euphamisms, "Complex and messy". Hamas and IJ will go underground. Attacks on Israelis will diminish in the first months following, but will creep back up in time..they won;t end all together at any point. Political talks will be basically frozen an unprodcutive for a few years afterwards..basically there will be a return to 1992, only with less hope in the future.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old September 9, 2003, 20:03   #7
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 17:29
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
There can be no peace until the radical palestinian leadership are all executed for their war crimes.
:shakes head:

There can be no peace until people with this sort of attitude are removed from all political power, permanently.
Old September 9, 2003, 20:08   #8
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Arafat needs to go.
Old September 9, 2003, 20:09   #9
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:29
Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
Arafat needs to go.
Maybe we could bury him alive with the war criminal Sharon.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 9, 2003, 20:12   #10
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 08:29
My Israeli baby has 9 friends to contact who frequent those exact areas, 4 are unheard from.

Likely they're ok - but it ruined her day!
Old September 9, 2003, 20:18   #11
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

"Hey, hey, Israel, how many babies did you kill today?" can be used interchangeably with, "Hey, hey, Palestinians, how many babies did you kill today?"

White Lion's "When the Children Cry" comes to mind here.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old September 9, 2003, 20:26   #12
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 04:29
Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Maybe we could bury him alive with the war criminal Sharon.
If Arafat were replaced by a leader who seeks peace, I would joyfully assist in Sharon's burial.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old September 9, 2003, 20:31   #13
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

You can maneuver Che to support just about whatever issue you'd like to watch him support.
At least I know I can.
"You like that? Well then by Castro, I don't !"
Old September 9, 2003, 20:34   #14
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 10:29
I have the sneaking suspicion that if it was up to Sloww, each and every american dissident would be promptly deported to Cuba together with a peter pan card with his best wishes.
Old September 9, 2003, 20:38   #15
Zylka
King

Wow, you're about what - 3 months behind schedule for that joke?
Old September 9, 2003, 20:40   #16
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 10:29
I pace myself.
Old September 10, 2003, 01:32   #17
Zylka
King

There's cafe Hillel - a spot she and her friends often frequent

The Tel-Aviv bombing had a high number of young IDF casualties. OTF regulars, please report ASAP
Old September 10, 2003, 01:42   #18
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 17:29
2033 eh?

The war continues without any hope of a resolution.
Old September 10, 2003, 01:53   #19
Zylka
King

HAHAHAHA Oh boy..
Old September 10, 2003, 02:12   #20
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 11:29
Meh. I've been in the exact place of the first explosion couple months ago. Had stuff to do in the military base nearby and then spent an hour and a half waiting for the bus in the bus stop that got blown up.

Luckily the Asaf HaRofe hospital is about 50 meters from that bus stop, just across the road.
Old September 10, 2003, 02:28   #21
Oerdin
Deity

The Israelis need to hurry up with that wall and they need to make it even higher. Then they need to make sure that every Palestinian is kept out.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 10, 2003, 02:50   #22
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 09:29
Yea. Building walls is an excellent method to solve conflicts.
Old September 10, 2003, 02:52   #23
Oerdin
Deity

The wall isn't to solve the conflict the wall is to protect the people from the terrorists by keeping the terrorists out. Of course it can only be effective if you keep all of the Arabs on their side.
Old September 10, 2003, 02:52   #24
Zylka
King

Quote:
Building walls is an excellent method to solve conflicts.
Actually - in this case it is, smartass.
Old September 10, 2003, 03:01   #25
Harovan
staff

Quote:
The wall isn't to solve the conflict the wall is to protect the people from the terrorists by keeping the terrorists out. Of course it can only be effective if you keep all of the Arabs on their side.
And keeping natives in reservations also works fine.
Old September 10, 2003, 03:04   #26
Oerdin
Deity

How many Indian rebellions in the US have you heard of since 1890? It seems the reservation system has worked.
Old September 10, 2003, 03:05   #27
The Mad Monk
Emperor

You're right, they should just let them all over.

Be sure you have a good seat for the fireworks.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old September 10, 2003, 03:07   #28
Zylka
King

Hey "Sir" Ralph - perhaps you might consider that this structure will seriously lessen or even halt the crossing of bat* insane c4 pawns into a territory consisting entirely of people who they see fit for death?

Oh - that was too simple, wasn't it. Because this is all about HOLDING THE SMALL MAN DOWN IN RESERVATIONS isn't it - you shortsighted *
Old September 10, 2003, 03:14   #29
Harovan
staff

Quote:
How many Indian rebellions in the US have you heard of since 1890? It seems the reservation system has worked.
The reservation (or should I say "ghetto", since it's basically the same) system hasn't work everywhere, as history shows. And the racism against native Americans, which undoubtly took place earlier, has stopped in the 20th century. They were given equal rights and fully integrated in the American society. That made the deal, not keeping them in reservations.
Old September 10, 2003, 03:15   #30
The Mad Monk
Emperor

There's no comparison.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.