Old September 10, 2003, 12:46   #91
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 02:29
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Hamas is now warning it will target Israeli homes.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/...ast/index.html
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old September 10, 2003, 13:08   #92
GePap
Emperor

Did I ever say I agreed with the airstrikes agains Saddam and Khaddafi? Please, someone, anyone, quote me?

The Khaddafi one is undefensible and on the same sordid level as these israeli assasinations. The fact that the US can claim it was striking at command and control and leadership targets the first time during a declared open conflict between two states muddles the pic for the first strike against Saddam, and ditto the second, though that one is less defensible.

So what double standard?

As for your list LoTM:
Kosovo: so which times did we bomb the houses of Serban leaders? Did I miss that strike against Slobo's house?
1998: Oh, so a training camp in the mountains was Osama's residence? And Saddam's house in desert Fox?
Little thing: an air campaign differs from a targeted assasination attempt. sarel already tried an air campaing vs Palestinian Authority sites.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old September 10, 2003, 13:12   #93
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Edan

Because people like you keep saying that murdering 70 year olds - even if they're cold blooded murderers - would inflame the Arab Street(tm).
So the solution to murder is murder..wait!

Quote:
We could say the same thing about the US government and Bin Laden and Al Qaeda before 9/11 - it wasn't our priority - a point is reached when too much is too much.
Sorry, analogy (as so many here) fails: last time I checked te uS wasn;t bmbng anone regularly to get them to hit Al qaeda, which was Israel's excuse attacking the PA for 2 years before they started to attampt to go full time at Hamas, even though Haams and IJ wer ethe first to claim suicide attacks going back to 2000. The drill was: Hamas attacks, Israel bombs PA,blames Arafat. The thing is, israel ran out of PA targets, so now finally either they hit Hamas, or hit no one...poor Sharon, no..ran out of piggies.
Old September 10, 2003, 13:12   #94
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:29
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
How many Indian rebellions in the US have you heard of since 1890? It seems the reservation system has worked.
At least one in 1873 at Pine Ridge.

Course, maybe the indiscriminate slaughter of indians and their food sources had more to do with it than the success of the Res.

Israel should destroy all of Palestine's crops and ability to get food and water, and then provide it for them. Once the Pals are totally dependent on Israel for their day to day survival, they'll stop fighting.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 10, 2003, 13:15   #95
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark

In the last 30 years:
It's kinda hard to have regular elections when you have no government and you're occupied.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 10, 2003, 13:19   #96
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
"Israel has killed 13 Hamas members and six bystanders in nine airstrikes since an Aug. 19 "
That's an anomaly. Usually they kill more innocents than badguys. Not that I'm complaining that they're getting more accurate.
Old September 10, 2003, 13:23   #97
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

It's kinda hard to have regular elections when you have no government and you're occupied.
But they are still occupied in large part due to the actions and decisions of the guy who's been in power for 30 years. Convenient, eh what?
Old September 10, 2003, 13:23   #98
GePap
Emperor

Quote:

Arafat was not the leader of the palestinains until 1993, when under oslo the PLO became the PA. Before that he was the most prominent palestinian but could claim no legitimacy as the leader of anyone else outside of the PLO. And they had one election in 1996. So he has been in power 10 years, and in the las few, due to vioelnce, elections have been really rather impossible to hold fairly.
Old September 10, 2003, 13:25   #99
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
But they are still occupied in large part due to the actions and decisions of the guy who's been in power for 30 years. Convenient, eh what?
Yes, by his actions and those of dozens of others from both sides. And again, he has been the head of the PLO for 30 years (given how many assasinations by other Pals. he lived throught) He was only to become Palestinian leader in 1993.
Old September 10, 2003, 13:29   #100
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap

Arafat was not the leader of the palestinains until 1993, when under oslo the PLO became the PA. Before that he was the most prominent palestinian but could claim no legitimacy as the leader of anyone else outside of the PLO. And they had one election in 1996. So he has been in power 10 years, and in the las few, due to vioelnce, elections have been really rather impossible to hold fairly.
The PLO has been recognized by the arab world as "the sole legitimate representative of the Palestinian people" since at least 1972, IIRC.

My point was not that the Pals dont deserve a state cause they havent had elections - my point was simply a response to those who say the two current leaders are at fault. Sharon may be an obstacle to peace, but hes only been in power for 3 years. During that time israel had many other leaders, with a many different approaches - yet none managed to reach peace with the Palestinians. In all that time the Palestinians have had only one leader - de facto until 1992, de jure since then. So it would seem at least possible that changing leadership on the Pal side would make a difference.

Which is not to say that the personalities of the leaders are the only issue - but if you are going to focus on the leaders personalities, as some here have done, the assymetry in the terms of office is striking.

It is virtually certain that Sharon will not be in office in 5 years time (its unlikely he'll be in office more than another 2 years) Arafat seems likely to remain in office till he dies, or is expelled,
Old September 10, 2003, 13:29   #101
Edan
Warlord

Quote:

Arafat was not the leader of the palestinains until 1993, when under oslo the PLO became the PA.
No, he was. That's why the Palestinian "leadership" would always be on the phone with Arafat folliwng his orders on the negotiations during the Madrid conference and during the Oslo negotiations.
Old September 10, 2003, 13:34   #102
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:

Yes, by his actions and those of dozens of others from both sides.
Yup, but he's the constant.

Quote:
And again, he has been the head of the PLO for 30 years (given how many assasinations by other Pals. he lived throught) He was only to become Palestinian leader in 1993.
Ive heard many people argue precisely that Israel's big mistake in Oslo was in bringing Arafat and the other Fatah leaders back from exile, and effectively setting them up in control over the territories. They argue that instead it would have been possible to negotiate with an emerging local leadership, a leadership that has been subordinated by Arafat.

Ive always been skeptical of that myself, but its interesting to see you making related points.
Old September 10, 2003, 13:47   #103
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:

That's an anomaly. Usually they kill more innocents than badguys. Not that I'm complaining that they're getting more accurate.
It does seem much better than my impression of how theyve done before, which struck me (the numbers are from AP, BTW)

Im not sure its an anomaly though. It could be better weaponry (the US record on collateral damage seems to have improved considerably as well, in just the last 4 years since the Kosovo campaign). It could be a deliberate strategic move. It could even be better intel.
Old September 10, 2003, 13:52   #104
chequita guevara
Emperor

It's anaomalous if you ust look at the numbers this year. IIRC, the ix people who died did so in the first two assassinations (when they did stuff like bomb the ambulance and fired rockets into the crowd that had surrounded the car after the first attack). Since then I've been impressed that they have't killed any bystanders, though they've injured quite a few of them.

Thought it was rather wrong to blow up a whole building of apartments just to get a couple guys on top.
Old September 10, 2003, 13:55   #105
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Edan

No, he was. That's why the Palestinian "leadership" would always be on the phone with Arafat folliwng his orders on the negotiations during the Madrid conference and during the Oslo negotiations.
The international community decided to annoint him the leader of the Palestinians: not the palestinians (until after 1993).

Quote:
Ive heard many people argue precisely that Israel's big mistake in Oslo was in bringing Arafat and the other Fatah leaders back from exile, and effectively setting them up in control over the territories. They argue that instead it would have been possible to negotiate with an emerging local leadership, a leadership that has been subordinated by Arafat.
To me oslo was the fllowing deal: Arafat would be made the legitimate leader of all Palestinians, get to go home a hero, and get a fiefdom to rule: his responsibility was to keep the Militants down and weak, so that thy would not attack Israel. Israel got to rid itself of the cost and worries of ruling the bulk of the Palestinians and all the cost involved without having to agree to anything long term, and free to continue building settlemets and so forth. Besides withdrawing from araes to be given to the PA, they had no significant other responsibilities.

So when askign why oslo faile,d given that only the PA had significant responsibilities, obviously then their inaction lead to failure of the process. But the process was fundamentaly flawed cause the Israelis had no responsibilties towards the Palestinians on the street themselves (like a freeze on all settlemets, access roads, movement restrictions and so forth).
Old September 10, 2003, 14:01   #106
Edan
Warlord

Quote:
The international community decided to annoint him the leader of the Palestinians: not the palestinians (until after 1993).
No, the international community didn't annoint him because he was already the effective leader in all but name. One of the issues Israel wanted during the Madrid conference was Arafat not to be there - but it was clear by the initial Oslo talks that they were talking with Arafat, albeit through Palestinian intermediaries and a wink and a nod that they weren't "directly" negotiating him.
Old September 10, 2003, 14:04   #107
GePap
Emperor

Arafat had almost no control over what was going on IN the occupied territories before he came riding in with the Tunis gang. The problem was the only Pals with a working organization were the PLO, controlled by Arafat. That is not the same as saying the Palestinians had as a people chosen Arafat as their representative to speak for them: how could they? they never had (until 1996) the ability to stage any elections.
Old September 10, 2003, 14:07   #108
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:

Quote:
To me oslo was the fllowing deal: Arafat would be made the legitimate leader of all Palestinians, get to go home a hero, and get a fiefdom to rule: his responsibility was to keep the Militants down and weak, so that thy would not attack Israel. Israel got to rid itself of the cost and worries of ruling the bulk of the Palestinians and all the cost involved without having to agree to anything long term, and free to continue building settlemets and so forth. Besides withdrawing from araes to be given to the PA, they had no significant other responsibilities.

So when askign why oslo faile,d given that only the PA had significant responsibilities, obviously then their inaction lead to failure of the process. But the process was fundamentaly flawed cause the Israelis had no responsibilties towards the Palestinians on the street themselves (like a freeze on all settlemets, access roads, movement restrictions and so forth).

The Israelis responsibilities included withdrawl from the specified areas,freeing prisoners, etc. Freezing new settlements (but not freezing settlement growth, and with no clarity as to whether construction in Jerusalem constituted a "Settlement"). Similarly the Pals were supposed to crack down on terrorists and stop incitement to terrorism. Labor under Rabin basically kept its commitments, and even looked the other way on incitement. Bibi chose not to look the other way on incitement, and even used the Pal failure on incitement as an excuse to do things that violated the spirit of Oslo by changing facts on the ground. Arafat responded by ending restraints on terror, and essentially using Hamas as a bargaining chip. i will leave aside the Barak era, which we have discussed enough.

The point is that Oslo process, with its vague deadlines for action, was based on a gradual building up of trust. That might have been more possible with a local leadership than with Arafat.

The question is whether there was a local leadership with real credibility. Rabin and his defenders say that basically there wasnt - it was Arafat or nothing. Critics, like Netanyahu, say yes there were alternatives. You seem to come down on the Bibi side, rather than the Rabin side.
Old September 10, 2003, 14:08   #109
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Arafat had almost no control over what was going on IN the occupied territories before he came riding in with the Tunis gang. The problem was the only Pals with a working organization were the PLO, controlled by Arafat. That is not the same as saying the Palestinians had as a people chosen Arafat as their representative to speak for them: how could they? they never had (until 1996) the ability to stage any elections.
again my point was not blame the pal people for arafat - it was to suggest that Arafats role in the negotiating process has been a constant of the situation.
Old September 10, 2003, 14:14   #110
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
The Israelis responsibilities included withdrawl from the specified areas,freeing prisoners, etc. Freezing new settlements (but not freezing settlement growth, and with no clarity as to whether construction in Jerusalem constituted a "Settlement"). Similarly the Pals were supposed to crack down on terrorists and stop incitement to terrorism. Labor under Rabin basically kept its commitments, and even looked the other way on incitement
The settler population doubled under labor. Houses for 100,000 more settlers, even if one claims that they happened to only be additions to what already exised necessitated a huge new infrastrcuturte for them, and more hardship for the average Pal, speically fater the regular closings under Bibi and the slide in Pal. employment. As for withdrawls, from araes, that was the plan al alongtherwise the sraeli would have to bear the cost of services to those Pals they occupied.

As for sdding with Bibi: he never accepted where the whole process was to lead..so what was he going to negotiate with pals for? And sadly, after Arafat got to head the PA and had the '96 elections he was the one to speak too... oslo ave him the legitimacy he did not have before, making him the leader.
Old September 10, 2003, 14:35   #111
lord of the mark
Deity

As for withdrawls, from araes, that was the plan al alongtherwise the sraeli would have to bear the cost of services to those Pals they occupied.

LOTM - are you seriously saying that Rabin took the risks of bringing in arafat and withdrawing from the territories as a FINANCIAL measure? In fact the withdrawls were seen by BOTH sides as way of improving the Pal situation on the ground, and building up the trust needed for a final settlement. Rabin was generally held to be motivated by a desire to reduce IDF casualties (high in the first intifada), to restore the morale of the IDF, and to improve strategic positioning vis a vis Iran and Iraq.

As for sdding with Bibi: he never accepted where the whole process was to lead..so what was he going to negotiate with pals for? [/QUOTE]

Presumably some kind of autonomy, federation with Jordan, whatever. My point is not that that was a serious strategy - i dont think it was - just that Bibi has asserted there were alternative negotiating partners to Arafat.
Old September 10, 2003, 14:37   #112
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
[q] Houses for 100,000 more settlers, even if one claims that they happened to only be additions to what already exised necessitated a huge new infrastrcuturte for them, .
My understanding is that the large scale roadbuilding was necessitated by the desire to create detours around areas which had been ceded to PA control, not congestion caused by population growth.
Old September 10, 2003, 15:46   #113
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
LOTM - are you seriously saying that Rabin took the risks of bringing in arafat and withdrawing from the territories as a FINANCIAL measure? In fact the withdrawls were seen by BOTH sides as way of improving the Pal situation on the ground, and building up the trust needed for a final settlement. Rabin was generally held to be motivated by a desire to reduce IDF casualties (high in the first intifada), to restore the morale of the IDF, and to improve strategic positioning vis a vis Iran and Iraq.
Yes, i dot hink the cost to Israel of keeping rhe occupation going as was was a significant reason for Oslo: why, if considering all the other costs would they fail to consider that one, which is always important?

Quote:
Presumably some kind of autonomy, federation with Jordan, whatever. My point is not that that was a serious strategy - i dont think it was - just that Bibi has asserted there were alternative negotiating partners to Arafat.
Yes, but he never said whom, and as I said, at that point, Arafat had coopted all the people in the occupied territories already. Note how both Mazan and Ala are still from Tunis.
Old September 10, 2003, 15:48   #114
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 08:29
Something is going on in the Gaza Strip...
Old September 10, 2003, 15:49   #115
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
My understanding is that the large scale roadbuilding was necessitated by the desire to create detours around areas which had been ceded to PA control, not congestion caused by population growth.
And why do this? So we let the Palestinians have their own enclaves, then ring them with roads they can not use without our permission and which can be closed at any time, and that makes their lives better because? And where exactly are these settlers going? 100,000 new people in new subdivisions calls for more of everything.

On the leadership thing: Barghouti was from the West bank and popular, but now he sits in prison. Dahlan has a weak standing.
Old September 10, 2003, 16:01   #116
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:

Yes, but he never said whom, and as I said, at that point, Arafat had coopted all the people in the occupied territories already. Note how both Mazan and Ala are still from Tunis.
Yup - and the same voices i mentioned that say Oslo was a mistake, say that Mazen and Ala were also not potential partners for peace. I disagreed with them about Mazen - Ala im skeptical about.
Old September 10, 2003, 16:03   #117
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:

Yes, but he never said whom,
Im told he did say whom, and i should go read his book. Im not real inclined to just for the sake of that particular argument.

But I thought since you are saying that Arafat was not the Pals leader pre-1992, you might have some idea who was.
Old September 10, 2003, 16:09   #118
GePap
Emperor

My point is not that Aaraft was not a trustworthy partner from peace period: my point is that he was never the best, and the structure of oslo was flawed, and allowed him to build his power while avoiding what was basic political suicide of taking on the militants, specially after things for the average Pal begun to get worse after '96.

Araft's fault is not that he is some terrorist mastermind with some evil plan to destroy Israel..I think that nonsense. The problem is that Arafat is a weak, glory seeking worm who wanted to be the leader of the pals without the responsibility that might go attached. He is great at playing people vs each other, ruthless in keeping his position, unable and unwilling to ever take any step that might seriously endanger that leadership.
Old September 10, 2003, 16:12   #119
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:

And why do this? So we let the Palestinians have their own enclaves, then ring them with roads they can not use without our permission and which can be closed at any time, and that makes their lives better because? And where exactly are these settlers going? 100,000 new people in new subdivisions calls for more of everything.

On the leadership thing: Barghouti was from the West bank and popular, but now he sits in prison. Dahlan has a weak standing.
It makes there lives better cause they dont have israeli soldiers patrolling their cities and running their daily lives. Seems to me that when the Israelis went back in to their cities, they considered this a bad thing, and they are again asking the Israelis to leave.

Why build the roads - cause with the IDF no longer patrolling the villages ( in area A) , the settlers didnt want to have to drive through them - not surprising, considering that the villagers have a tendency to throw stones and shoot bullets at the settlers vehicles (and yes, i know that on occasion settlers have done the same)

And why would the Pals want to use those roads - the existing road system linked their towns and villages - and while they were still subject to closures (where the roads went through areas b or C) that was no worse than before.

As for bargouti - I have heard some talk the Israelis made a point of arresting him, and trying him, with the INTENTION of building up his stature. Not sure i believe that, but he continues to be the most likely non-tunisian.
Old September 10, 2003, 16:20   #120
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
My point is not that Aaraft was not a trustworthy partner from peace period: my point is that he was never the best, and the structure of oslo was flawed, and allowed him to build his power while avoiding what was basic political suicide of taking on the militants, specially after things for the average Pal begun to get worse after '96.

Araft's fault is not that he is some terrorist mastermind with some evil plan to destroy Israel..I think that nonsense. The problem is that Arafat is a weak, glory seeking worm who wanted to be the leader of the pals without the responsibility that might go attached. He is great at playing people vs each other, ruthless in keeping his position, unable and unwilling to ever take any step that might seriously endanger that leadership.
I dont know if Arafat has an evil plan to destroy Israel - his behavior is also explained, as you point out, by his being a "weak glory seeking worm" or to put it more charitably, a man who was good at leading an insurgent movement, and unable to make the compromises for statehood. And perhaps fearing that statehood - or at least statehood achieved in any manner but by violence - would make him irrelevant.

The question is how to move past him.

And i realize that analogous questions might be raised about Sharon - a man who cant make the necessary compromises - Im not sure he can - but he has been far more moderate than I expected when he came into office 3 years ago - especially given the circumstances in which he came into office. Maybe its all machiavellian - waiting for the Pals to do themselves in - and if the Pals ever got serious, hed go back to being a hardliner - but the Pals havent tested him these last 3 years.

In that sense, if you want to get rid of Sharon, the most certain way would be to get rid of Arafat. Nothing keeps the Israeli center wedded to Sharon more than Arafat.